Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joy Behar slammed for telling gay people to just “come out” and “see what happens”

I was watching the show when she said this and didn't think it was anything to get upset about, but apparently others disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 3:56 AM

Miss OP, everything is something to get upset about.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 3:10 PM

So what, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 3:10 PM

Leave Joy alone. She had to apologize to Krazy Kristians who say they have actual conversations with their gid. No reason for the LGBTQ community to join the cray cray.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 3:14 PM

Joy is our crazy aunt who tells it like it is, and we all love her for it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 3:17 PM

If she had said this two years ago before people got so fucking sensitive no one would have cared.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 3:17 PM

I’m not sure what’s offensive about this particular statement. Joy is a total moron but there’s nothing wrong with this.

Remember when she claimed that cop who shot ma’khia byant should be charged with murder and he should have shot his gun in the air to “warn” her ? Lmfao

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 3:21 PM

The bigger issue is that The View has done next to nothing in terms of promoting LGBTQ visibility. In their twenty-five years on air, to my knowledge, there's only been two out permanent co-hosts (Rosie and Raven) who lasted all but a year respectively. And Rosie was (with the producers help) smeared as a stereotypical "Angry Dyke".

For a show that supposedly prides itself on diversity and representation, this is inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2021 3:27 PM

Whoopi used to identify as a lesbian in the 70s before she went Hollywood and became “straight”.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2021 3:31 PM

Not offensive but just shows how she's completely detached from reality and living in a bubble. Should be no surprise to anyone who hears her speak on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2021 3:31 PM

R7 - You’re misinformed. As a viewer from the beginning, I can tell you that The View has always promoted gay pride, had gay guests on the show, had gay guest hosts, and has a significant gay staff.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2021 3:33 PM

You can see the logic, from New Yorker, in New York. It's kind of a simplification for certain other places, isn't it? Seems a little glib but I don't know if she needs to be hung in the public square over it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2021 3:35 PM

R10 I'm talking about those who are allowed to sit at that table full time. And they've dropped the ball big time in that department.

Diversity in this day and age is not five heterosexual women sitting around a table.

They need to do better. The Talk had an out lesbian for almost a decade who was also an executive producer.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 3:39 PM

"I was watching the show"

That is a desperate cry for help

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 3:42 PM

So sick of threads and articles about people being "slammed". Wow a public figure said something a couple people on twitter called them stupid or wrong. SLAMMED

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2021 3:43 PM

Gee Joy what could go wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2021 3:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2021 3:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 3:46 PM

Why is this old unfunny bitch constantly getting threads? She's a troll that likes attention at this point.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2021 3:47 PM

SHE'S CORRECT! 15 16 17 have a common issue.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2021 3:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2021 3:48 PM

R19 Remember that white kid in the US south a few years ago

getting grief from his white family all caught on tape?

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2021 3:52 PM

r7, you cunt from that you do not know.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2021 4:05 PM

This isn't a topic I take lightly; my spouse and many friends faced crushing rejection from their families for coming out (or being outed). That said, when I see headlines like this I immediately assume that the outrage comes from Twitter malcontents who will pretend she's specifically addressing at-risk youth because it stokes their cherished outrage. Anyone else would assume her blithe remarks were aimed at those with less to lose (and we know that no one takes their gay marching orders from Behar anyway).

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2021 4:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2021 4:12 PM

r23, I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2021 4:16 PM

[quote]And Rosie was (with the producers help) smeared as a stereotypical "Angry Dyke".

She wasn't smeared, she WAS an angry dyke.

Rosie has nobody to blame but herself.

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2021 4:20 PM

I just read it as encouragement - not an absolute mandate. Of course there can be horrible coming out outcomes. I don't think that makes her evil for giving some encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2021 4:21 PM

Did Joy ever stand up for Michelle Collins when she was fired for bashing nurses right alongside her?

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2021 4:21 PM

Miss Joy -- you want pay for my hotel bills now that my family has disowned me and thrown me out?

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2021 4:22 PM

Stay pressed, r20/hon.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2021 4:28 PM

Harvey Milk said the same thing. I don't remember him being slammed.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2021 4:32 PM

Joy’s right. I was in the closet for years but then I admitted to my co-worker that I’m gay, and a gorgeous twink came out from a corner, bent over and presented hole.

Listen to Joy!

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2021 4:34 PM

Part 2 of R24 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2021 4:50 PM

’Atta girl.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2021 4:52 PM

Joy should just come out as a mentally challenged person and see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2021 4:54 PM

WHY HAS THE VIEW NEVER HAD A STRAIGHT CIS MALE CO-HOST??????

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2021 4:56 PM

That segment was floating around twitter as "chaos" but most people weren't offended.

I don't think it was Joy's intention was to have a nuanced discussion but twitter has this mentality where you can't say anything unless you cover every single example that would apply to every single situation for every single person.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2021 5:06 PM

I love all these fucking blacks and Muslims and their “pranks”. I can’t stand those two groups. I really can’t.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2021 5:17 PM

"Harvey Milk said the same thing. I don't remember him being slammed. "

He's gay. Outrage culture necessitates that anyone who is NOT like you cannot give advice, judge you, or have expectations of you.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2021 5:21 PM

Actually I disagree. Coming out could be a very explosive thing in Some families and at the very least, upsetting others. You have no right to mess up someone else’s thanksgiving with your big news. Save it. Post it on social media or something after Christmas, by spring everyone in your family will know.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2021 5:25 PM

A lot of people come out gradually to different people at different stages. Usually their close friends, then closest relatives, their coworkers and then to the least accepting members of their family. Many don't make it this big event to come out at a family gathering. That just seems narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2021 5:32 PM

It could cause a superspreader event.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2021 5:33 PM

I think in Harvey Milk's time there was a much stronger gay community that would take in those who got disowned by their families. A lot of runaway teens who go to NY or California. Then HIV happened which killed a lot of the communnity and plus the decline of any type of community in general with the rise of technology and social media. More feelings of alienation.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2021 5:37 PM

I will give Joy the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure her heart is in the right place...

But is anyone else sick and tired of heterosexual "allies" advising gays and lesbians? Directing us on how/when to come out? How to handle LGBT kids? On our own history as LGBT people? I know I am.

Joy cannot possibly comprehend the gay experience: the conflict of coming out, the obstacles, no matter how many LGBT friends/fans she has. No straight person can.

And maybe we shouldn't be bowing to their unsolicited advice.

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2021 6:10 PM

I get what you're saying, R44. What muddies the waters for me is that younger generations of people who would've previously been known as allies increasingly identify as some stripe of queer themselves.

On social media, where they can be whatever they want, they seem comfortable speaking for groups some of us might feel they don't actually represent. It's weird because they love phrases like "lived experience" but don't see how it applies (or doesn't) to some of their own crusades.

by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2021 7:01 PM

Joy Behar has always been a stupid Bitch. This is another example of it.

I can just imagine young people standing at the dinner table and announcing that all they needed was some old fat rich heterosexual Jewish bitch to give them the courage to come out. It's that simple. Thank you Joy for simplifying things.

This is just the advice people were looking for. It's 2021! No possible problems could result from anyone coming out.

Gays problems are so easy. Just come out and "see what happens." Stop being a scaredy cat!

It's not like your parents could kick you out of the house (that never happens).

No parent will physically attack you or beat you for saying you are gay (that never happens).

No parent will stop paying your college tuition if you are gay (that never happens).

It's not like family members will stop allowing their minor kids to associate with you. No one will shun you or accuse you of being a pervert (that never happens.).

No one at that dinner table will inform your homophobic boss or co-workers which may result in you gettin fired (that never happens).

Just listen to Aunt Joy. Forget about coming out on your own time. When Joy said don't let anyone tell you how to live she actually meant don't let anyone tell you that EXCEPT Joy Behar.

And don't worry there couldn't possibly be any negative consequences at all if you come out.

No matter who you are or how old you are, you definitely are physically, psychologically, emotionally and financially able to handle any fall out that may result from revealing something so intimate about yourself to the world. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2021 7:31 PM

She's right. Rarely is there a good reason to deny yourself to live authentically.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2021 7:41 PM

I wouldn't recommend minors coming out if they feel they are at risk. If she's talking 30 somethings who are financially independent then yes I would agree.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2021 8:14 PM

How is it any of her business whether anyone "comes out" at all? She should stay out of people's personal business. People can choose how to handle their own personal relationships in life. They don't need this comedian / talk show host advising them on how to live.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote] some old fat rich heterosexual Jewish bitch

She's not Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2021 9:52 PM

Outrage and "trauma" are currency in our culture. Of course this is being amplified. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2021 10:01 PM

I can't imagine a worse punishment than spending Thanksgiving with Joy Behar.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote]Wow a public figure said something a couple people on twitter called them stupid or wrong. SLAMMED

This is unfortunately how the news works these days, r14, and I don't get it either. Especially these days when no one is on Twitter anymore. In the last year most of the people I follow have slowed down or stopped posting, and three got permanently banned for no reason. So did Michael Musto and, less notably, several automated accounts I follow that never did anything except post nice images.

The media needs to get it through their thick skulls that Twitter is nothing but outrage merchants and bots.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2021 1:57 PM

She penetrated the end zone with that advice.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2021 2:31 PM

R46 Joy is Italian but the rest of your post was absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2021 2:58 PM

Being out but still private about your personal lives to certain people doesn't make you a "closet case". Particularly in the workplace, and especially in a corporate environment.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2021 3:36 PM

Joy isn't Jewish? She's Italian? Must be by marriage.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2021 3:44 PM

The View is nothing but propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2021 3:46 PM

r57, La sua gente è calabrese.

There are many Americans of Calabrian descent on DL.

We are the southern ones who do not oo-ie, doo-ie, maneh-got.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2021 6:36 PM

She's a loudmouth New Yorker. I feel whether Jewish, Italian, Irish or Puerto Rican. It's all kinda interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2021 7:01 PM

She's Italian. Why can't people take 5 seconds and look this shit up?

by Anonymousreply 61November 28, 2021 12:17 AM

She was smirking as she declared that as if she knew it would provoke a reaction. I love Sara's deadpan comments to her.

Sara has a gay brother.

by Anonymousreply 62November 28, 2021 1:32 AM

The wonder and irony of this unimportant piece of dribble piss and flap snot is the presumption that anybody in their right mind would listen to anything Joy Behar says and take it seriously. She's a telly personality, kids. There's nothing genuine about them.

by Anonymousreply 63November 28, 2021 3:45 AM

This woman is a fucking idiot and the people who watch or follow her ate sad beyond belief, but so what?

If someone is at the financial, emotional, and roof over his or her head mercy of another possibly unsympathetic person, then have a backup plan. Otherwise, why not?

by Anonymousreply 64November 28, 2021 3:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!