Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Galloping Gourmet here -- my meal was a colossal flop. Very upset

Hi All, It's the GG. I was cooking yesterday for my partner's family and it turned out bafflingly badly. I recently purchased a new oven and I'm unused to the cooking times. I had done a couple "trial runs" which went smoothly.

However, yesterday, my apple pie burnt to a crisp -- a brown, dusty crisp. My turkey was dry and my foie gras stuffing, a last minute addition, was so gamey and mealy that NOBODY ATE IT. I am truly mortified because my partner had been talking me up to his parents, who used to run a world-class Inn, as a top-tier home cook.

I had to leave the table mid-meal to lie down and cry a bit. A friend came in and checked on me and talked me back to the table, but it was just terrible, and I felt that no amount of apologizing could compensate for my lackluster meal. My new "in laws" were tight-lipped and polite, but many of my dishes went more or less untouched.

This morning, my partner isn't speaking to me. I am very upset.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2021 6:35 PM

Well, my Green Bean Casserole---I know, not haute cuisine, but traditional---flopped, too, even though I added sautéed Portabello mushrooms.

Stuff(fing) happens.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2021 2:48 PM

But 350 degrees is 350 degrees, so why would a new oven have a different cooking time? Sounds like a pretty poor excuse for hitting the bottle, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2021 2:49 PM

There is such a thing as a poor excuse to hit the bottle?

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2021 2:50 PM

I am the GG and do not drink!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2021 2:50 PM

0/10

Darfur orphan

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2021 3:07 PM

My mother, who was the most elegant and refined woman you could hope to meet, once had a complete breakdown at the Thanksgiving table after her biscuits didn’t turn out. She started crying hysterically in her pearls and throwing the biscuits across the dining room shrieking “THEY’RE *ROCKS*!!” “THEY’RE ROOOOCCCKKKKS!!!!”

Of course, it was only the immediate family that day. There are lines.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2021 3:49 PM

Nigella says you apologise once for a failed dish but anything more is a bore for your guests and makes them uncomfortable. If only you'd laughed it off and opened another bottle of wine.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2021 4:19 PM

You need to keep an eye on the internal temp of a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2021 4:23 PM

I cannot get out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote] However, yesterday, my apple pie burnt to a crisp -- a brown, dusty crisp. My turkey was dry and my foie gras stuffing, a last minute addition, was so gamey and mealy that NOBODY ATE IT.

Burning to a crisp? Did you check on the pie as it was baking?

White turkey meat is always dry.

Foie gras stuffing sounds like a waste of foie gras.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2021 7:51 PM

Get an oven thermometer for your new crap stove, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2021 8:18 PM

Brine brine brine !!!! And baste baste baste !!!! Put foil around the outside of your pie, and remove last 20 minutes of cooking, that way u never will have burnt crust. Everyone has had meals that flop, get used to your new oven ( because oven temps do vary) get a thermometer that you can put in oven, and then give your meal a retry.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2021 8:27 PM

Oh, OP…….

NOBODY CARES.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 8:30 PM

Be thankful your partner isn't physically abusive, because you richly deserve a vicious face slapping.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2021 8:30 PM

You know OP is a fake because NOBODY with the merest scintilla of cooking acumen would put foie gras in a fucking turkey.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2021 4:07 PM

OP, next time go to Boston Market, let them do all the work and you get all the credit!

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2021 4:20 PM

Which was a bigger flop? Your Thanksgiving meal or your previous post?

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2021 4:47 PM

Do not be mean to GG. He was a frequent poster and people drove him off DL.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2021 6:06 PM

Consider it a test run for Christmas and have them all back.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2021 6:20 PM

OP, you have two problems here, the new oven problem and the tight-lipped in-laws problem.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] He was a frequent poster and people drove him off DL.

That’s certainly believable. For good reason, apparently

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2021 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!