Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What museum collections do you make a point of visiting?

In the US, I generally will always check out the Modern, 19th century, and Old Masters collections; as well as (of course) American and Native American art, from North American through Meso-American. I am also more and more interested in African, Korean and Vietnamese art, ancient and contemporary.

Abroad, Old Masters, Contemporary and Ancient as well as whatever the national or native art is where I am visiting.

Do you have types of collections you target if you have limited time when visiting a museum?

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 4:36 PM

I like folk art. I visited the Museum of American Folk Art in NYC, when it was at it's old location...about 11 years ago. Gorgeous collections. I love quirky, hand made pieces made out of necessity, or as a hobby to wile away the hours on a farm, during a seasonal downtime. The untrained talent and ingenuity behind the art speaks to me. People didn't want to throw out things...and would reuse them in clever ways. I love old quilts, too. I haven't been to Moma in years...would like to visit one day. I enjoy good paintings...all styles. I like to pop into galleries sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 4:48 AM

Impressionists. Post-Modern art is generally crap.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 5:00 AM

I love Egyptian sections in museums. I had a weird obsession with Ancient Egypt as a kid, and even now the sheer age of the civilisation awes me.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 5:10 AM

R1 I don’t know which iteration you saw of the museum, but it’s currently a shadow of itself and back in the Lincoln Center location with usually just two special exhibits and no permanent collections on display. The first and only building built specifically for the museum only lasted a few years before they couldn’t financially maintain it and MOMA bought and destroyed it to make way for more of their own galleries.

There is a extensive collection in Williamsburg at the Abbey Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, which usually get overlooked amongst all the colonial buildings and collections. Santa Fe has an International Folk Art museum that quite extensive and has an especially strong toy collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 5:12 AM

The Menil Collection in Houston is elegant and restrained. The building in which it is housed are also outstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 5:13 AM

R4...I think the Museum of American Folk Art was by Moma...back when I visited. 59th Street? It wasn't very big, but had maybe five floors of exhibits...if I remember. It moved to another location...Columbus Avenue? It was right by ABC Eyewitness News station. It was even smaller...and not impressive at all. Maybe because it just moved to that location and not everything was out in the exhibits? I did like the first location visit. Yes...I read about Santa Fe with the wonderful folk art there. Abbey Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum would be another one to see...if I ever head down that way.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 5:25 AM

R1^^

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 5:26 AM

The nice thing about the internet is that you can google and see some of the pieces in the exhibits....if you can't be there. Of course, it's not like seeing it IRL...but you get a glimpse. Virginia and Santa Fe... two trips to plan.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 5:43 AM

It really depends on my mood.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 6:27 AM

In London the V and A amazing. Love it. If you love Classical Art, Rome and Greece, and you ever get a chance to visit Naples, please please please visit the Naples Archeological Museum. It blows your mind , how much they have found from Pompeii.

I have seen artifacts from Pompeii before and plenty of photos , but the absolute enormity of what was found, the row after row of dinner wear, goblets , vases, statues, Gladiator helmets etc , beggars belief.

Another amazing museum if you get a chance is Sir John Soane’ s Museum in London . A home of a London architect living in the late 18th and early 19th Century, who amassed an amazing collection of artifacts from the known world at the time. Truly gorgeous.

The Wallace Collection is beautiful ,in London A Collection of French Art , as well as Dutch, gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 7:30 AM

R6 The building on Columbus Ave. and 66th street is known as 2 Lincoln Square and the museum has had an ongoing space with exhibits there since 1989, while it worked on building a museum building on 53rd street next to MOMA. So, 2 Lincoln Square is actually one of the oldest spaces and it’s only present space in Manhattan. What’s interesting is that on one side of the museum is a Mormon Temple and the other side a residential tower all owned by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. Already getting tax free status for being a church, some deal was made for them to house the museum space at a better rate for which they most likely receive a huge tax benefits or other kickbacks.

I’m quite sure that the space prior to being the museum in 1989 was the Mormon welcome center for NYC, which would have included displays and dioramas. I’ve never found conclusive evidence, but I think this was where Tony Kushner is setting those scenes in Angels in America with Hannah at the Mormon center.. So, weirdly that space actually has a link to Gay history, probably the last thing the Mormons would ever want to acknowledge.

Below is the very unique Museum building that was built on 53rd street and only existed for about a decade before being demolished. The panels that covered the building were salvaged and remain in storage owned by the museum. It was the only building by these architects in NYC, and despite MOMA being a champion of architecture they chose to destroy it rather then incorporate it into their museum plan for expansion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 3:13 PM

The puppet collection at the City Museum of Munich. Museum of Saxon Folk Art with Puppet Theater Collection in Dresden.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 3:26 PM

If in Paris, of course there's the Louvre Museum. If you love impressionist art, the Musee d'Orsay is a must see. Great collection of art, plus the restaurant is gorgeous, with a large clock tower window. Wonderful museum...on a smaller scale of the more famous one.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 4:07 PM

Since I've hardly traveled all that much (I've been to Norway and the Netherlands, and some large US cities), I tend to frequent the MFA in Boston and other regional art venues. I'm partial to the impressionists and paintings of the Dutch Golden Age, but, whenever I visit the MFA, I enjoy viewing everything that the museum has to offer.

Of the few museums I've visited in Europe, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and its Rembrandt and Vermeer collections are my second favorite.

If I get to travel again, visiting The Hermitage would be at the top of my list, followed by the Musée d'Orsay.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 4:24 PM

I'd rather visit saunas, bathhouses, rest stops, brothels as I prefer flesh and blood and the human touch.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!