Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rents are increasing at a breakneck speed nationally

Rents have spiked throughout the country in the last year, but smaller cities have been hit particularly hard.

Topping the list for the highest rental increase for a one-bedroom apartment was Gilbert, Arizona, a town with a population of 267,000, where rent jumped 117% from September 2020 to $1,866 in September 2021, according to an analysis by Apartment Guide.

Seven of the top 10 cities that experienced the biggest surge in rents for one-bedroom apartments have populations of 300,000 or less.

Other small cities in the top 10 include Spokane, Washington; St. Petersburg, Florida, Boise, Idaho; Birmingham, Alabama; Irvine, California; and Scottsdale, Arizona.

While rents continue to rise at a breakneck speed nationally, increasing by 20% from September 2020 to September 2021, renters in the top 10 cities experiencing the biggest rental hikes were shelling out at least 40% more.

Brian Carberry, senior managing editor for Apartment Guide, says the shift began during the pandemic when remote work options enabled more people to move out of larger cities.

“Smaller cities on a whole tend to not have as much inventory as larger cities, so when the competition increases, rent prices tend to go up as well,” he says.

He also said some smaller cities may be actively working to revitalize their downtowns to attract more residents, and as apartment buildings open, landlords may price them a bit higher as they are new and in popular areas.

If a greater number of higher-priced rentals go on the market in an area, it will drive up average rent, he said.

Six of the cities with the biggest increases in two-bedroom rent prices year-over-year also have populations of 300,000 or less.

They include Huntington Beach, California; Reno, Nevada; Hialeah, Florida; Irvine, California; Glendale and Scottsdale.

For example, in Huntington Beach, rents surged by 59% to $4,252 for a two-bedroom lease.

In October, shelter costs, which make up one-third of the consumer price index, increased 0.5% and are now up 3.5% year-over-year, contributing to the overall three-decade high inflation rate of 6.2% compared with a year earlier.

Rents will continue to be a persistent factor in rising inflation rates, says housing analyst Logan Mohtashami.

“We have a lot of people who weren't able to buy a house because they've lost their bids in a very low inventory environment," he says. “So you have some very well-to-do households that easily have the ability to pay these higher rent increases.”

The trend of rising rents is here to stay because millennials, the largest demographic group in the U.S., are entering their homebuying years, he says.

Rents for single-family homes rose 10.2% nationally in September, the fastest year-over-year increase in 16 years, according to a new report from CoreLogic.

The rental rates for single-family units nearly quadrupled from a year ago, the report found.

“Strong job and income growth, as well as fierce competition for for-sale housing, is fueling demand for single-family rentals,” writes Molly Boesel, the principal economist for CoreLogic, who authored the report.

Miami topped the list with the highest year-over-year rent growth in September with an increase of 26%, followed by Phoenix at 20%.

The vacancy rates of single-family rental homes remained near 25-year lows in the third quarter of 2021, pushing annual rent growth to double-digits in September.

"Rent growth should continue to be robust in the near term, especially as the labor market continues to improve," says Boesel. Cities with the biggest increases in one-bedroom rent prices year-over-year

Gilbert, Arizona: (+116.5%)

Spokane, Washington: (+69.3%)

Long Beach, California: (+66.3%)

New York, New York: (+58.2%)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2021 2:50 AM

St. Petersburg, Florida:(+56.7%)

Boise, Idaho: (+49.1%)

Birmingham, Alabama: (+47.3%)

Irvine, California: (+46%)

Santa Ana, California: (+44.5%)

Scottsdale, Arizona:(+44.1%) Cities with the biggest increases in two-bedroom rent prices year-over-year

Santa Ana, California: (+60.2%)

Huntington Beach, California: (+58.5%)

Reno, Nevada: (+57.9%)

Hialeah, Florida: (+49.2%)

Fresno, California:(+46.5%)

Irvine, California:(+45.8%)

New York, New York:(+43.3%)

Glendale, Arizona: (+41.9%)

Raleigh, North Carolina: (+39.6%)

Scottsdale, Arizona: (+39.6%)

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 12:40 AM

I am the party of ::::: the rents too damn high !

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 12:43 AM

It is odd that most of these cities/towns are in blue states.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 12:44 AM

USA Today? What is this, the 1980s? I thought that paper had ceased to exist.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 12:45 AM

The right comparison would to TWO years ago. Like NYC - rents plummeted last year and now are rebounding. If they dropped 30% in 2020 but rose 42% in 2021, they basically are unchanged from 2019.

Boise is absolutely absurd real estate market. Along with Austin, way overpriced by people who see it as a cheaper alternative to CA.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 1:21 AM

Well, R3, the quite obvious answer is that no sane person wants to live in the utter cesspit of a red state.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 1:34 AM

r3 Because that's where people want to live.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 1:34 AM

Year over year numbers are completely meaningless right now because last year was skewed.

This is part and parcel of the great American rip off by the owner class since the pandemic began.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 2:00 AM

OP how fast is “breakneck” speed?

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 3:04 AM

I don't think that people who work full time, semi decent jobs should have to live in absolute fear of losing their apartment or their landlord selling or dying etc because they will NEVER get another apartment in the city they live in.

By they I mean me. Rentals here are at less than 1% vacancy /availability and leases get signed a year before move in dates. A studio in Burlington Vermont should NOT be $1400 a month, nothing included when the average worker makes under $20/ hr.

Yes, I know. Everyone here lives in big homes and have 2nd and 3rd homes but, keeping it real, it's scary out there wrt housing. Something has got to give.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 3:26 AM

And that idiot Jen Psaki keeps inviting inflation isn't a problem. Time to fire her.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 3:40 AM

Rescue Chick I'm with you 100%!!!

I didn't realize that Vermont had gotten so bad.

Then again, celebrities and rich New Yorkers seem to love Vermont.

I'm in the same situation in my city.

It really sucks, and it's really quite terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 6:46 AM

Somebody told me it will take a decade to recover from the pandemic. They said at least a decade. I rolled my eyes but this person is very smart and very old. I’m starting to think they were right.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 6:55 AM

The money supply has increased by 40% since the beginning of 2020. That means that prices will eventually catch up, setter asparagus.

Ceteris paribus?

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] The money supply has increased by 40% since the beginning of 2020. That means that prices will eventually catch up

It's just paper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2021 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!