Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Nightmare Alley” trailer is here!

It stars our beloved Cate Blanchett and that lame Bradley Cooper.

This looks incredible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2021 12:34 AM

Just recently saw the original. The glitz of the trailer makes me think it will not be as powerful as the gritty original.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2021 3:20 AM

So this is a remake of the Tyrone Power movie? I could see some early similarities in this trailer, but there was a lot that I didn't remember being in the earlier version.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 3:23 AM

I agree, R1. Even though Cate Blanchett will probably give an excellent performance as the femme fatale psychiatrist, there's something about Karen Walker in that role in the very gritty original that sticks with me. It's a pity that the original film wasn't a success and Walker didn't receive an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 3:24 AM

Helen Walker.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 3:25 AM

It looks adequate for a remake judging by the trailer but I still think it unnecessary. The original is still very good. I don’t think this remake will be a classic, it looks like it will age badly - too much focus on style but not in an ageless way.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 4:38 AM

I love the original “Nightmare Alley”, it's so creepy!

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 5:41 AM

Tyrone Power had Zanuck buy the rights to the book for him at Fox. Power was at the top of his game at Fox then. The book is disturbing and dark and sleazy and pessimistic. One of the first popular novels of the day (1946) to abandon the false bonhomie of the WW2 years and get back to reality. The 1947 film was very good. I sense a kind of slick, overstylized “Shutter Island” vibe from the new trailer, which could certainly work, albeit in a different way. Very del Toro. It certainly caught my attention.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 5:55 AM

Not you lames objecting to this remake while embracing the remake to a massive classic like West Side Story…

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 11:08 AM

R2 remakes aren’t supposed to be shot for shot redo’s boo.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 11:08 AM

he looks like a cross-eyed retard.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]there's something about Karen Walker in that role in the very gritty original that sticks with me.

Oh, Smitty, that was the grenadine you spilled on the bar.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 11:54 AM

Tell that to Gus Van Sant and his remake of Psycho, R9. Literally, a shot by shot redo.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 12:16 PM

I’m still mystified by Brad Cooper’s success. Are we genuinely supposed to be taking him seriously as a leading man put in every current art movie with Oscar winning actors by major auteurs? It’s gotten ridiculous. I just can’t take him seriously. He’ll always be Victor Garber’s fuckbuddy from Alias.

There’s no there there. He’s barely competent as an actor and he couldn’t be more mediocre looking. He belongs on TV, and not even premier TV. He should be on a CBS show meant for the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 12:21 PM

R12 which only caused the film to be even more criticized.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 1:41 PM

I think Bradley is a good actor

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 1:45 PM

I think the trailer and Del Toro's reputation for horror may give people the wrong idea of what kind of story Nightmare Alley is. It's not a "horror story" in the sense that people will be expecting. It's really a gritty story of the downfall of a con man. There's nothing supernatural in the original movie at all. Maybe Del Toro has changed it, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 2:04 PM

Nightmare Alley (1947)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 2:04 PM

Frasier Crane’s “Nightmare Inn.”

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 2:07 PM

I have passes to see this on Thursday. I love the original and Cooper is no Tyrone Power. That said, it looks beautiful and I think Cate will nail this.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote]I think Bradley is a good actor

I agree (I've also seen his stage work) but also think there are far better actors who should be enjoying his level of success. Plus there's the fact he was sprung to an A-list career off of a terrible movie like "The Hangover," which was just pure luck.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2021 1:41 PM

He isn’t a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2021 1:49 PM

Cooper has experience biting the heads off cocks.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2021 2:36 PM

J'adore the fab Deco sets!

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2021 2:41 PM

I think he's a good actor, too. Funny face. Interesting voice. And for the most part he keeps a low profile so the star doesn't get in the way of the performance.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2021 3:09 PM

That preview is trying WAY too hard....Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2021 3:14 PM

I agree with R1 it looks gaudy and overdone. More about style than substance.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2021 3:35 PM

Cate does seem to chewing the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2021 3:46 PM

R13: According to DL, he blew everyone from here to Timbuktu.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2021 4:34 PM

Never liked the ferret faced closet case.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2021 4:53 PM

Her plastic surgery is distraction.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2021 6:07 PM

To me, Cate comes across as a drag queen in these stylized roles.

I think this will be a bomb. It doesn’t seem to have any buzz.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2021 6:12 PM

Cate is the last real camp actress. She doesn’t fear camp at all and I love her in whatever she does.

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2021 1:27 PM

I think Helen walker was great in the original. It’s a shame her career wasn’t bigger. I think she should have scored a nomination and maybe it would have led to a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2021 3:49 PM

I can't believe I called her "Karen Walker." Lol. Because I was in the Real Housewives of Potomac thread, I had that particular cast member on my mind when posting in this thread. My bad!

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2021 9:32 PM

For your consideration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2021 10:09 PM

How does Rooney Mara, who I love, get above the title billing with Blanchett and Cooper? Did she donate part of her salary a la Faye Dunaway? I haven't seen her in anything since Dragon Tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2021 4:51 AM

She has the second biggest role in the movie. That’s how she got it. In terms of screen time, it’s Cooper, Mara, Blanchett, then probably Richard Jenkins, but it might be Toni Collette.

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2021 5:17 AM

Screen time doesn't necessarily dictate billing order. The only above the title actors in Superman were Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman, not Christopher Reeves. Billing order is more often dictated by star power, box office drawing ability, etc.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2021 5:28 AM

When you said Nightmare Alley I imagined THIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2021 5:36 AM

R38, I won’t deny that fame plays a factor in billing, but Rooney Mara has two Oscar nominations for major films, including one for which she beat her more renowned co-star for a Best Actress prize at Cannes. Above the title billing seems appropriate for her in this case, especially given her screen time.

This isn’t a case like Robin Williams getting top billing over a certain future zoo purchaser before he became famous.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2021 6:15 AM

It looks amazing, I just want something that looks authentic and not like a video game or CGI. It's the only thing that I'm willing to sit in a theatre wearing a protective mask (and hoping that my glasses don't fog up too much) for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2021 12:00 AM

I went to a screening on Monday and loved it. I had never heard of the Tyrone Power version until that night. Guillermo del Toro spoke after the movie and said it wasn't a remake of the 1947 movie but a direct adaptation of the novel. Like all del Toro films it's beautiful to look at but probably a bit too dark and violent to make it a mainstream hit. And it's quite long at almost two and a half hours though I never felt like it dragged. My cinephile friend I went with liked it but said she preferred the Tyrone Power version because he's so charismatic and Bradley Cooper just didn't have that same appeal. She couldn't understand why the women would be drawn to him. I can kind of agree because even though Cooper is very handsome he comes off a bit lightweight somehow. I thought he did fine in the movie but all the other performances kind of outshone him. Still very highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2021 12:47 AM

R10- wonder what that makes you?

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2021 1:53 AM

Hollywood doesn't produce leading men like Tyrone Power anymore, so casting the lead was always going to be tricky. Yet Cooper is painfully miscast. What made Tyrone Power work so well in the role is that his beauty was part of the character's charm, and he used it to manipulate and con people effortlessly. Cooper doesn't have that level of sex appeal like Tyrone Power. But then, what leading A-list actor in Hollywood does?

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2021 2:01 AM

I loved the original movie. Though there were so many more layers to the novel. The movie stripped away lots of the color of the novel. The novel presented lots more characters with more depth. I doubt that the remake of the movie is going to deal with this. It would actually make a great mini-series. Stan Carlisle's story is a great arc that serves as bookends to the overall tale. It's interesting in itself, but combined with all the other stories, it would be a treat.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2021 2:05 AM

If he played gay roles, Bradley could turn on the sex appeal and present hole. But like Jodie, he is unbelievable as a heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote]Cooper doesn't have that level of sex appeal like Tyrone Power. But then, what leading A-list actor in Hollywood does?

According to imdb, Leonardo DiCaprio was originally attached to play the lead. I've never found Leo sexy but I guess a lot of people do so maybe he would have been better?

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2021 4:11 AM

A B&W version is coming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2021 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!