Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Social Media Has Become Toxic for Male Body Image

[QUOTE]Men’s bodies are on display more than ever. An analysis of 1,000 male body Instagram posts showed that boys get positive reinforcement for posting muscular content through likes and follows, while girls primarily showed their faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 11:48 PM

It's toxic for almost everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 7:34 PM

[QUOTE] As a result of his varsity track season being canceled at the start of the pandemic, Josh (not his real name) became more sedentary and gained 20 pounds. Stuck at home, he spent countless hours browsing Instagram and other social media sites where he discovered muscular teenage boys who publicly shared their workout and dieting regimens, gaining thousands of followers in the process. He began to emulate these influencers, counting calories while upping his fitness goals.

[QUOTE]When sports seasons resumed, Josh hit the gym with his teammates. But he also added on individual runs, Peloton bike rides and high-intensity interval training workouts — exercising in excess of five hours per day. He became so obsessed with fitness and dieting that he stopped seeing his friends in order to keep up his intense workout schedule and minimal calorie count. His behaviors persisted for months before anyone realized that he had developed a full-blown eating disorder. By the time he was evaluated by a doctor, he needed to be hospitalized for medical instability.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 7:48 PM

On the other hand it’s been a boon for consumers of male gorgeousness. So many more hot muscular bods than in decades past. I really don’t care how insecure or self-loathing these young men feel inside as long as they look good with their clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 8:04 PM

It's the guys' turn to show off their bodies!! It used to be only women but now men are in there too - hooray!!!

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 8:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 5:57 PM

How is looking your best toxic? I swear, sometimes people see problems where there are none.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 7:18 PM

I think these people would have better body image if they stayed off of social media. If you have depression, anxiety or low self-esteem then social media is like a landmine.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 7:26 PM

Soooo, men can be jealous little bitches too?

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 7:33 PM

OP< then explain all the fatties who waddle around at earlier and earlier ages. This kind of generalization is just rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 7:57 PM

Most Americans are overweight now. Social media is aspirational. Only the thin and muscular get shown the most because of advertising and endorsements.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 8:15 PM

Oh so NOW it’s a problem? Women everywhere probably.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 8:33 PM

r7, next time in English, please.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2021 11:57 AM

I’m forever grateful that I was well into adulthood by the time social media became a thing. I have no interest in seeking attention or impressing anyone.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2021 1:40 PM

I’m in the same boat, R13. I can’t imagine the pressure these young men face today.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2022 8:49 PM

Good I wanna see more eye candy. I could give a FUCK less about their mental health. They are just objects of pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Amen R13. I just missed that by a hair, and am very glad. Also just the fact that when I was at school, you went home after and no one could get at you. Just imagine how the bullying must got on 24/7 now with everyone online.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2022 9:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2022 10:04 PM

Goals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2022 10:06 PM

IG and TikTok is filled with so many beautiful young guys showing their bodies, hair and fashion. It's refreshing because for decades, straight American men would associate any type of personal aesthetics or self-grooming with being effeminate and homosexual. So looking like a slob was preferred even formal wear is dry and sexless. A lot of guys in their 30s and 20s are into fitness and looking young. Interest in skincare and hair care has been rising. I think also social media helped expose people to other cultures. European, African and East Asian cultures place high value on men looking well-groomed and attractive and many popular IG models are from all over the globe. I can't see straight women or gay men complaining about this high volume of beautiful young men who are taking pride in their sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote]European, African and East Asian cultures place high value on men looking well-groomed and attractive and many popular IG models are from all over the globe.

Remember when this used to be joked about by Americans as being "gay", as in "Gay or European?" It wasn't that long ago, and I agree, it is refreshing to see looking well put together viewed as something aspirational.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2022 10:31 PM

It's almost like they're being treated like women are!

Fine when gay guys are involved but when precious, precious straight guys are affected it becomes a "problem".

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!