Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

**BREAKING** All 3 men charged in Arbery's death convicted of murder

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — All three white men charged in the death of Ahmaud Arbery were convicted of murder Wednesday in the fatal shooting that became part of a larger national reckoning on racial injustice.

The convictions for Greg McMichael, son Travis McMichael and neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan came after jurors deliberated for about 10 hours. The men face minimum sentences of life in prison. It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole.

The McMichaels grabbed guns and jumped in a pickup truck to pursue the 25-year-old Black man after seeing him running in their neighborhood outside the Georgia port city of Brunswick in February 2020. Bryan joined the pursuit in his own pickup and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael fatally shooting Arbery.

Arbery’s killing after the graphic video leaked online two months later. Though prosecutors did not argue that racism motivated the killing, federal authorities have charged them with hate crimes, alleging that they chased and killed Arbery because he was Black. That case is scheduled to go to trial in February.

The jury sent a note to Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley soon after returning to court Wednesday morning asking to view two versions of the shooting video — the original and one that investigators enhanced to reduce shadows — three times apiece.

Jurors returned to the courtroom to see the videos and listen again the 911 call one of the defendants made from the bed of a pickup truck about 30 seconds before the shooting.

The disproportionately white jury received the case around midday Tuesday and spent about six hours deliberating before adjourning without a verdict.

The McMichaels told police they suspected Arbery was a fleeing burglar when they armed themselves and jumped in a pickup truck to chase him. Bryan joined the pursuit when they passed his house and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael blasting Arbery at close range with a shotgun as Arbery threw punches and grabbed for the weapon.

On the 911 call the jury reviewed, Greg McMichael tells an operator: “I’m out here in Satilla Shores. There's a Black male running down the street.”

He then starts shouting, apparently as Arbery is running toward the McMichael's idling truck with Bryan's truck coming up behind him: “Stop right there! Damn it, stop! Travis!” Gunshots can be heard a few second later.

The graphic video death leaked online two months later, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case, quickly arresting the three men. Each of them is charged with murder and other crimes.

Defense attorneys contend the McMichaels were attempting a legal citizen’s arrest when they set off after Arbery, seeking to detain and question him as a suspected burglar after he was seen running from a nearby home under construction.

Travis McMichael testified that he shot Arbery in self-defense, saying the running man turned and attacked with his fists while running past the idling truck where Travis McMichael stood with his shotgun.

Prosecutors said there was no evidence Arbery had committed crimes in the defendants’ neighborhood. He had enrolled at a technical college and was preparing at the time to study to become an electrician like his uncles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2021 1:59 PM

Good for Georgia.

That state is really changing.

Turning blue, almost.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, is a total fucking shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 6:03 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 6:04 PM

We know already from the other 4 threads

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 6:04 PM

Wow.

An all-white jury.

A horribly racist defense attorney making horribly racist comments.

And they still came back with a guilty verdict.

Very proud of that jury.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 6:05 PM

Don't drop the soap!

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 6:05 PM

I am really starting to like the state of Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 6:06 PM

Georgia gave us Ossoff and Warnock.

And now a guilty verdict in the Arbery case.

Times, they are a changin' in that state.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 6:07 PM

KEEP GEORGIA BLUE!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 6:08 PM

Stacey Abrams for Governor 2022!!!

Donate now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote]Don't drop the soap!

They're too ugly to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote]An all-white jury.

I think one juror was black. I think it may have been another story if it were all white. Just glad sanity prevailed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 6:11 PM

Thank Christ.

Honestly. I am thankful for this verdict.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 6:13 PM

This is good news, especially after that fucked up Rittenhouse trial.

Georgia has done well.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 6:13 PM

Glad for the verdict, but how did they come up with with such a lopsided jury?

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 6:14 PM

Seriously--ALL white but one?

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 6:16 PM

Did anyone ever think they'd see the day when a Georgia jury treated a black person fairly, and a Wisconsin jury was reminiscent of the Civil-War era?

The Midwest has become the new Jim Crow South.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 6:16 PM

R17 please elaborate how a white person who killed two white men in self defense, one of whom was a pedophile, is in anyway similar to pre civil war south.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Occasionally, our justice system gets it right. Today is one of those days.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Fucked around and found out!!!! Bwaaaaahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 6:19 PM

Thief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]Seriously--ALL white but one?

Yeah. The judge eventually caught on that the defense mwas trying to stack the jury with "bubbas". But the recognition came a bit too late.

I do believe that having the one, black male juror made it difficult for the white jurors to rationalize that this was anything but murder. It's one thing to talk amongst yourselves but when you have to look that one person in the eye it becomes a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Justice served in the Rittenhouse case and in this case.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Keep fucking that chicken, R18.

No one here buys your bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 6:21 PM

This is an instance where the verdicts were 100% correct.

Regardless of what the man was doing, he was unarmed and didn't deserve to be harrassed and killed like an animal

It really does shock me how so called Constitutionalists support extrajudicial killings.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote] This is an instance where the verdicts were 100% correct.

Someone needs to go to your house with a rifle, shoot you, and then claim it was "self defense" because they were trying to "protect and defend" your neighbors because they thought you were a criminal.

Then see how you like it.

That's basically what you're supporting.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 6:26 PM

The video of the victim at the construction site is weird. He's not stealing anything but returns to it several times on different days. Wonder what that was about? And yes this is unrelated, as those armed men accosted him and had no right to try and detain him.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 6:29 PM

R26, put down the crack pipe, go to rehab, and then come back and re-post a coherent statement!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 6:50 PM

awwwww... now they can't be invited to Mar-A-Lago.

I hope this is the beginning of things righting themselves.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 6:55 PM

The jury consisted of nine white WOMEN, three white men, and one black man. Credit to the WOMEN - especially that woman PROSECUTOR - for getting it done!!

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 6:55 PM

The prosecutor on this case was amazing. Too bad she didn't get to prosecute Rittenhouse

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 6:55 PM

This trial had an intelligent, fair judge as well, as opposed to cranky Judge Art Carney from the Rittenhouse fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 6:58 PM

White people across America will now rise up and burn Waffle Houses and Wonder Bread bakeries, won't they Kamala ?

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] The video of the victim at the construction site is weird. He's not stealing anything but returns to it several times on different days. Wonder what that was about? And yes this is unrelated, as those armed men accosted him and had no right to try and detain him.

Victim was studying to be an electrician, I think. Possible that he was looking at how a house gets built. It was odd to keep returning.

Yes, from what I saw (closing argument) the prosecutor did a good job at keeping things simple. It's not a legit attempt at a citizen's arrest if there's no crime being committed.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 7:06 PM

The death penalty can be considered for murder. Certainly Travis M. ought to be a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 7:07 PM

Or maybe they will plot to kidnap one of our state governors or will attack our Capital, kill Capital Police Officers, and try to hang our elected officials again, R33?

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 7:22 PM

R35, I don't think the death penalty is on the table for any of these defendants.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 7:24 PM

I wonder how many Thanksgiving dinners are going to explode in violence with discussions of the Ahmaud Arbery and Rittenhouse verdicts? I hope no one dies or is injured.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] It was odd to keep returning.

What is odd is how the house had more people coming to view it than the body in Stand By Me. As the video showed, Arbery wasn't its only visitor.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2021 7:35 PM

Cry, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 11:50 PM

r39 Visiting home construction sites is a thing for some reason. When we were building our house everybody in town and even some out-of-towners kept coming to walk through and look. We finally got some security cameras, but nobody did anything wrong. They were just curious.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2021 12:03 AM

I hope they get life without parole. Surprised there was such a strong racial imbalance among the jury, though.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2021 12:09 AM

(R42) The defense was unsuccessful in kicking off most potential black jurors.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 12:16 AM

Houses under construction are interesting. Especially to someone studying to be an electrician, I assume. It's not like it was a construction site full of cash and jewelry. What was he going to steal? Lumber? That's why there was never a shred of legitimacy to these assholes thinking he "stole" something. Did they think he put a 2x4 in his pocket and jogged away? It never made sense.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2021 12:19 AM

I think life in prison without the possibility of parole is harsher than the death penalty. They’ll have to fight to survive in a shithole every day for the rest of their lives for what they did. This verdict gives me hope.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2021 12:51 AM

I’ve often walked through open housing construction sites. It’s interesting to see how architects and builders think about raw space, gather ideas and imagine how I would change things were I the owner.

Never in a million years did it occur to me that someone would hunt me down and shoot me twice through the chest for looking.

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] On the 911 call the jury reviewed, Greg McMichael tells an operator: “I’m out here in Satilla Shores. There's a Black male running down the street.”

R46, you're probably not black. According to OP's quote, this was the 911 call. This guy is clutching his pearls b/c there's a black man running down the street.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2021 1:13 AM

Such good news!! 👏👏👏👏👏

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote]The man who released the video tape actually thought people would see it and agree with him that Ahmaud Arbery was killed justifiably because he didn’t “freeze” when ambushed by white armed men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2021 1:16 AM

[quote] Never in a million years did it occur to me that someone would hunt me down and shoot me twice through the chest for looking

I guess that's what it feels like to be black in America.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] The judge eventually caught on that the defense mwas trying to stack the jury with "bubbas". But the recognition came a bit too late.

There are very strict rules for picking juries to avoid discrimination in jury selection. If the judge finds an issue and that the Supreme Court guidelines have been violated then he can scrap jury selection and start over. It is never too late until the jury is sworn.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2021 2:42 AM

There was never a question that they were guilty only if a jury would convict them. Unlike some other cases there was absolutely no justification for this, and it was pretty much universally condemned once the family managed to get the state authorities to look into it, since the local authorities were trying to cover it up.

Rittenhouse was a much more complicated set of issues and circumstances. This was a straight up lynching. Remember, a grand jury of the citizens of that county indicted the men and then a regular jury, from that county, convicted them. A county that Donald Trump carried in 2016 and 2020 with more than 60% of the vote. People need to figure out it is 2021 not 1921, things have changed rather we admit it or not.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2021 3:51 AM

[quote]The video of the victim at the construction site is weird. He's not stealing anything but returns to it several times on different days.

One of the articles said he was studying to be an electrician like his uncles. He probably had an interest in looking at how construction was progressing as a future tradesman.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote]There are very strict rules for picking juries to avoid discrimination in jury selection. If the judge finds an issue and that the Supreme Court guidelines have been violated then he can scrap jury selection and start over. It is never too late until the jury is sworn.

Clearly you haven't kept up with what was happening with the trial, r51.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2021 4:22 AM

During jury selection it is primarily the responsibility of the legal teams from either side to insure that juries are not stacked in a way that would show prejudice in either direction. Either side can just say no to any prospective juror.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2021 11:54 AM

R55, each side has a limited number of peremptory challenges.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2021 12:06 PM

Let's not forget one big thing. Those three scumbags still have the Federal trial coming up. They'll surely be found guilty in that one as well. The question is, which sentence will take priority. Hopefully they get an even stronger sentence in their Federal trial so that no parole is possible.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote] [R39] Visiting home construction sites is a thing for some reason. When we were building our house everybody in town and even some out-of-towners kept coming to walk through and look. We finally got some security cameras, but nobody did anything wrong. They were just curious.

ALL THE TIME! The whole thing was enraging and disgusting. However, it was that one aspect that made me think these men should be executed. What did Ahmad steal from a CONSTRUCTION site that he cold carry on his body and jog?!! People are drawn to construction sites and look inside all the time.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2021 2:59 PM

My sister is having a house built. Anytime someone in the family drives by to check progress, there is always a random person walking around and checking things out. My dad even brings his friends by to see it. Construction site touring really is a thing.

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2021 3:18 PM

When I was a kid, I lived in a new neighborhood in the middle of development. Me and my ever-expanding group of friends never got bored of touring the sites of every house. It never got old and always remained interesting.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2021 3:27 PM

R57 They face mandatory life sentences for their state convictions. The Federal civil rights charges also carry life imprisonment. I would much prefer that they spend their sentences in GA state prisons rather than Federal prison, because state prisons tend to be rougher.

From my understanding their state convictions will take precedence because they are for murder and the state convicted them first. One thing a about the Federal charges is that if they convicted in Federal court it acts as a backup. So that if they successfully appeal their state convictions or somehow got parole at some point, they wouldn't go free but would just be transferred to Federal custody to serve their sentence from that separate conviction.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2021 4:27 PM

I want all 3 to die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2021 4:30 PM

We KNOW, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2021 4:38 PM

Imagine waking up in your own bed one morning and ending up in a jail cell by that afternoon - the day before Thanksgiving, no less!! Daddy McMichael is 65; Sonny is 35 - he has a 3 year old son; and that poor sap "Roddy" is 52. They are going to do some HARD time.

This case was presented to two district attorneys, first a George Barnhill, who recused himself, but not before sending a letter to the police stating that there was no probable cause to arrest the (eventual) defendants. It then went to a Jackie Johnson - she's the one who is under indictment for "violating her oath" - she told two cops on the day of the shooting not to arrest Sonny, and Daddy used to work in her office as an "investigator." She has since been voted out of office and should obviously be convicted and disbarred.

As a former police officer and investigator, Daddy's going to have a tough time inside - and of course, Sonny did the actual shooting, so there's that. Welcome to OZ, boys!

Good article below -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2021 5:10 PM

Most Americans recognize that the verdicts in both this case and the Rittenhouse case were correct. Despite what the corporate news media will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2021 5:20 PM

Yes, there are unlimited strikes / "for cause." E.g., a prospective juror knows the defendant, personally, and can't be impartial about the case. The judge would have the final say on whether you can strike "for cause."

There are limited peremptory strikes (I think the # depends on your state). Meaning: limited amounts of prospective jurors you can "excuse" for no stated reason at all.

A criminal defendant is constitutionally entitled to a jury of his or her "peers." So, a judge would have to keep that in mind as well.

Possibly, the prosecutor had a good feeling about the final set of jurors and didn't complain about only having one black juror. It did work out for her (the prosecutor).

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 5:42 PM

In a few years time these men won't even be thought about. What they should do is report to the public every single that happens to them in jail and then maybe people will think twice about killing or harming someone just because they don't like the color of someone's skin.

someone pointed out that the killer became that way because his father taught him to be like that and now he is paying the highest price because his dad is an idiot. I do feel bad for the wife/mother as she has now lost both of them and her life is ruined too. I feel bad for Arbery's mother but she is strong and I think this has given her quite a bit of peace and even though she lost her son she will have gotten the best of it which she deserves.

Isn't it strange how when one person does something they never take a minute to see the circle of people their act is going to harm.

I really hope this a turning point and like Floyd's death , Arbery's death will not have been in vain. .

by Anonymousreply 67November 25, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote] This case was presented to two district attorneys, first a George Barnhill, who recused himself, but not before sending a letter to the police stating that there was no probable cause to arrest the (eventual) defendants. It then went to a Jackie Johnson - she's the one who is under indictment for "violating her oath" - she told two cops on the day of the shooting not to arrest Sonny, and Daddy used to work in her office as an "investigator." She has since been voted out of office and should obviously be convicted and disbarred.

That is one reason this case isn't as politically partisan as some want to make it appear. Yes, Jackie Johnson was a Republican DA, in a very red district. But, the voters threw her ass out for an independent. In Glynn County, which is where this all occurred Johnson only received 13,518 votes, in the same election the county gave 25,616 votes to Donald Trump, in fact she got fewer votes than Biden in the county. (He received 15,879) Compare that to her previous election in 2016, when she ran unopposed and earned 25, 567 votes.

She was indicted thanks to the GOP Attorney General of GA. These men were only brought to justice once the state was made aware of what was going on, and the Attorney General and GBI were sent to investigate and seek justice.

Also, even among those in the area one might consider racist, they don't support this because they don't want to be known for this. It is like if you go back and read newspapers and things across the South during Jim Crow, even if they supported segregation and white supremacy many people didn't like the KKK because they rightly came to the conclusion they made everyone in the area look stupid and caused damage to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 68November 25, 2021 10:18 PM

HA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2021 3:59 AM

Damn she's ugly. And she looks like a first class bitch.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Fat lidded bitch.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2021 1:33 PM

It's what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2021 1:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!