Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's everybody doing for Thanksgiving?

I'm surprised there's been no thread about this! SMH.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2021 6:38 AM

This non-traditional, non-nuclear family is dining on non-traditional foods: pizza, Italian spinach, sauteed mushrooms and Dos Equis.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 4:24 PM

Spending it alone, going out today to figure out what to make myself. Probably will not do the traditional turkey. A bottle of wine sounds good to me right about now.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 4:27 PM

We have a thread for those of us who are alone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 4:30 PM

Bless you R3.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 4:32 PM

Chardonnay and regret...

Huma, call me- we need to talk.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 4:35 PM

Bringing the turkey to a mainly vegetarian potluck. I’m expecting a Land Acknowledgment and maybe Pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 4:38 PM

R6 that reminds me of the Buddhist meditation group I joined years ago, there was never any meat at their potlucks ofc. During meditation I would think of things like steak and feel guilty. Such is the power of these little groups to shame you.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 4:40 PM

Stuffing the turkey and then stuffing my husbear.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 4:41 PM

Going to the outdoor market. Picking a large piece up at the framer's. Having carpenters in for some work. And meals and the rest of the day as usual. I no longer live in the U.S. so don't celebrate a holiday that was usually spent travelling, or a meal I never much liked.

But best wishes to those who are celebrating in whatever way, whether you're going to one of those big family free-for-alls, having dinner with a few, or it's just you and the cat. Find something to enjoy in what you have, and say fuck it to what you don't.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 5:11 PM

r9 What did you have framed? I have this almost obsession with finding things that weren't meant for framing and having them framed. My latest acquisitions were the covers of some old sheet music books I found at the flea market, the front cover of "Show Business Illustrated", dated Oct 31, 1961 featuring Judy Garland in a dressing room mirror, a movie poster for "Grey Gardens" and a copy of the circus poster that inspired the writing of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds".

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 5:25 PM

R10, isn't having something framed expensive? I was given a large (3'x4' ish) print of a woodcut by an artist friend. It is beautiful but cost $600 to frame. It took me about 6 years to get over the cost and just spend the money. I have a drawer full of stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 5:33 PM

Going hungry

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 5:35 PM

And, to answer the question of this post, I am going out to a restaurant which was a former "hospitality house" for WWI soldiers, which is in a beautiful Julia Morgan building. It is an all you can eat buffet, but high quality selections and nicely dressed and polite locals. (I invite you Darfur Orphan, my treat.)

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 5:36 PM

r11 Framing can be expensive and the larger the frame, the higher the cost but I don't have any bills other than a monthly credit card so I have the money and I figure I am worth it. You can't take it with you, after all, and I'm not going to have children to leave money to so I feel free to indulge.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 5:42 PM

I'll be down at the shelter rolling drunks passed out on the sidewalk from tryptophan.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 5:49 PM

This year will be the first time in two decades that I have not been alone for the holiday. I've moved near my mother, so she and I are spending it with a couple who are family friends.

Funny there should be all this discussion of a framing, as I have many prints I've made from my own travel photos, which I'm in the process of putting on the walls. Unfortunately, it looks as though I'll have to do Custom Framing for two of them in order to cover plasma TV hookups plates.

Came home from Michaels with eight, very basic, frames for $100. Too bad we can't post our own photos here, as one of the custom prints will be a 20 x 30 picture of a lone cyclist on the road in Iceland separating the European and North American tectonic plates (photo taken from former looking across to the latter).

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 5:57 PM

Bless your heart R3 and what are you doing for thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 6:19 PM

Counting my blessings I live on a different continent than my family

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 6:22 PM

R11. Framing is often much less expensive outside the U.S. as in a fraction of the price. It's a huge drawing with overpainting by an artist I like. About 6 feet by about 2 feet, a whopping 65 USD, and well done.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 7:19 PM

Going out to eat at the Capital Grill with my boss and her friend.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Nothing. As my boyfriend (who just survived a liver transplant) went on a trip to Colorado, where he’s now hospitalized with COVID… I can’t visit, so I’m just waiting for the call to drive out there to pick them up. It’s about an 18-hour trip. At least he was vaccinated with a booster! He was extremely ill for the first few days, and his liver numbers were sky high, but as of this morning, he seems to be doing much better. That’s all the Thanksgiving I need.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 7:35 PM

R21 here. *pick him up

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 7:36 PM

Getting take-out Nepalese. I couldn’t bear to face dealing with any of it. Maybe for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote]What's everybody doing for Thanksgiving?

Cock!

And I don't mean Tom Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 7:44 PM

Using the pandemic as an excuse to avoid family and making carnitas.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2021 7:49 PM

Staying at home with brother. Normally I travel during this week off.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2021 7:51 PM

Are you by any chance in Cambridge, R23? My aunt and uncle there mention Nepalese takeout.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2021 8:09 PM

Spending the month of November in Budapest, going to make roasted chicken and potatoes for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2021 8:11 PM

Staying home and cooking for family! Today I made all the breakfast pastry stuff for breakfast tomorrow morning. Have you guys ever tried traditional southern sweet potato bread? It’s awesome.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 8:12 PM

I just finished making 7 lbs. of mashed potatoes. 15 of us will be at my brother's house, everyone fully-vaccinated. It's usually 25 but my crazy sister and her kids and grandkids won't be coming this year. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 8:46 PM

I will spending Thanksgiving at my sister's house. Looking forward to hanging out with her two dogs.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 8:57 PM

Going to my brother's alongside my sister. We're all bringing pieces of the big meal. It'll be a nice time for all.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 9:00 PM

Going to some friends' place about 15 minutes from here. They're ordering it in, and we're bringing some champagne and wine.

Just got back from two weeks on the Continent (that's Europe, bitches), so very glad we don't have to cook it. Plus they're a lot of fun. Looking forward to it -- though I am going to make the bf cook a turkey over the weekend so we can have leftovers.

Don't hate me b/c I'm a pretentious cunt. I'm a cunt, but I'm not pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 9:07 PM

Waiting for a call. My brother is knocking on heaven's door.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote] I'm a cunt, but I'm not pretentious.

You type pretentious r33. But you also type cunt.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 9:16 PM

I am sorry R 34

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 9:27 PM

I’ll be going to my husband’s family get together. My tightly wound sister in law will be bitching about everything, my mother in law and my husband will be gliding around like everything is fine with smiles plastered on their faces, my father in law and brother in law will be tuning it all out while watching football, the twentysomethings will be getting drunk and high, and I’ll be in the corner with a bottle of wine, playing with the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Sounds like a typical family, R37.

At least there's not an aunt with Alzheimers who gets stuck in a corner for half an hour. Happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2021 9:54 PM

Was she happy there r38?

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2021 9:56 PM

As happy as anywhere else, R39.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 9:58 PM

R38, yeah it’s a nice enough way to spent the day. I just roll with it. They are WASPy and all press each other’s buttons, but it takes a lot to get me rattled. Any of my family members who I actually like are either dead or live on the other side of the country, so I do appreciate a family gathering.

I’m more looking forward to Friday…we are getting together with other friends who don’t have to work and having a big brunch. It’s a really fun, drama free group. Straight, gay, young, old, different ethnicities. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2021 10:01 PM

Staying home this year and doing the solo thing. My aunt and uncle are going out of town. I usually go to their house for Turkey Day. So I am staying home and making a roast chicken. It dry brining in my fridge right now. I will be working on my screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 10:02 PM

Happy thanksgiving r42. And best of luck on the screenplay!

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 10:03 PM

Thank you R36.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 10:04 PM

Thanks r43. I posted about it a year ago. Still a work in progress. I’ve had a couple of friends look at it already and they have been supportive.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 10:05 PM

I'm going to my parents' for dinner. Just the three of us, as we are the only ones in the family vaccinated. I was really surprised my mom laid down the law, I thought I'd be the odd man out. She's let everyone else know that there will be tupperware dishes full of food in the garage for them to pick up.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 10:06 PM

Garage food, mmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2021 10:07 PM

kinda sad that y'all let vaccine status rip apart Thankgiving

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2021 10:08 PM

Well, it beats death ripping apart xmas in a few weeks r48.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2021 10:09 PM

oh fer god's sake covid isn't the Black Death or Ebola, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 10:11 PM

You sound like someone who does his own research r50.

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2021 10:15 PM

Covid MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2021 10:17 PM

Covid IDIOT!

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2021 10:18 PM

Single, usual T'giving invite not forthcoming (COVID!!!). Reached out to two old friends; one I haven't seen since 2019 (?) and another who was in a car accident six weeks ago.

Both agreed to have me visit. I'm really looking forward to the day. Old friend one I worked with for 20 or so years. He's retired, lives with the wife in a rural town in the area. Definitely a good glass of wine and conversation.

Friend two I've known for decades. Not a "best" friend, but a good soul who is known to be difficult. She's been homebound since the accident, recovering. I worry - she's been circumspect about injuries. She and the husband are going to be alone for the day, I'll be their third for dinner mid-afternoon.

Friend one and two are good conversationalists and entertaining. I feel really good about seeing them and catching up.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2021 10:31 PM

I’m sick of being home and cooking and cleaning so we are dining out for thanksgiving this year and I’m getting steak.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2021 3:38 AM

Having Thanksgiving lunch with a friend at a restaurant in East Harlem, then Thanksgiving dinner with my niece at another restaurant in Hell's Kitchen. Friday I probably won't even leave my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2021 4:01 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Enjoy whatever you're doing or not doing. Stay safe if you're traveling. Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2021 6:32 AM

I'm running in a race in a few hours. Then will come home and watch the Macy's Parade. Dinner? Not sure yet. I may have pizza because I've been thinking about it lately. Tomorrow I open in a local production of "The Nutcracker".

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2021 8:53 AM

Break a leg r58!

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2021 10:18 AM

Best of luck, R58 and Happy Pizza!

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2021 10:42 AM

[quote] oh fer god's sake covid isn't the Black Death or Ebola, MARY!

Tell that to the families of the (at least) 776,000 Americans who've died of it, r50.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2021 4:52 PM

Alone in San Diego. Anyone from here and know where there might be some tasty place open?

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2021 5:09 PM

Pizza, beer, and binging on stand-up comedy specials on Netflix and HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2021 5:18 PM

Nothing, I'm Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2021 5:24 PM

You could always be thankful for lutefisk r64.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2021 5:48 PM

Binge watching old movies as my chicken and greens cook...watched [italic]For Whom The Bell Tolls[/italic] for the first time. What a fucking snoozefest. I couldn't finish watching it. So now I'm catching up on YouTube gossip channels.

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2021 7:06 PM

R65 Lol. I hate lutefisk. It's gross. I'm a very weird Norwegian as I hate Norwegian food. I prefer American, Italian or Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2021 6:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!