Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you rather live in Boston or Houston?

I have been to both. I can't think of two diametrically opposed cities:

Boston is small. It is unbearably cold in the winter.

Houston is massive. It is unbearably hot in the summer.

Both have great educational institutions.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 5:20 PM

Can't deal with the snow.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 3:38 PM

[quote] Both have great educational institutions.

[spurts coffee through nose]. What?

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2021 3:46 PM

Boston.

You can walk places.

It is not made of plexiglass.

NYC, Montreal and other destinations are within reach.

The coast is beautiful.

The minute you leave the city you are not surrounded by Trump trash (and for the tedious inevitable assertion from some screeching queen that the MA hillbillies are just as bad - check the vaccination rates per adult per state and get back to me on that one).

I'd visit Houston for the Museum of Fine Arts and the Menil Collection.

Other than that, it has not a single thing that appeals to me.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2021 3:59 PM

Houston great weather great shopping great food.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 4:04 PM

No matter how bad Boston is, it is not Texas., so Boston wins.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2021 4:06 PM

I was forced to live in Boston for 2 years for work. It was horrid. I don't know much about Houston, but I'd choose there with willful ignorance over Boston.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2021 4:07 PM

Boston is an armpit with scabies, but it isn't in Texas. If you could carve Houston apart from Texas, I'd choose it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2021 4:09 PM

I would choose Houston just because your money will take you so much farther there. Boston is outrageously overpriced, it’s basically San Francisco cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 4:13 PM

I have a weakness for the Irish working class, so Boston. But both cities are pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 4:15 PM

My brother lived in Houston for about 15 years and it melted his brain. He’s not a Trumper but he’s all into gun rights and says some really dumb things about taxes being too high.

Pass on Houston.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 4:21 PM

The humidity in Houston during the summer was almost unbearable when I lived there. I still have family there and refuse to visit, short of a funeral, during the summer months. It's suffocating.

Add onto that the increasing number and volatility of hurricanes due to the acceleration of climate change, there is no way I would ever live there again. Half of that city is ridiculously built on flood plains that have been breached with each of the latest storms. Like every other coastal city, the government let developers build anywhere regardless of long-term feasibility.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 4:32 PM

Explain R2 why you don't think these cities don't have good colleges?

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 4:41 PM

That disgusting heat. Hell fuckin no!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 4:42 PM

R2 excuse me we have RICE.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 4:45 PM

Boston is known worldwide for its universities which include two of the best in the world. Houston has one decent school

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 4:47 PM

Houston has a great children's hospital (Texas Children's), but for general adult medical care Boston (Mass General) is certainly superior. Boston is certainly not immune to climate change, as recent east coast hurricanes have shown, but Houston seems even more vulnerable due to sprawl and consequent reliance on cars, lack of proper building codes and the mismanagement of the state's independent power grid.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 4:54 PM

I'm a New Englander so of course I chose Boston. I lived there for a couple of years when I was younger and loved it. The snow and cold don't bother me all that much but I hate the short days we're having right now.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 4:55 PM

Just go live in San Francisco, it's not too hot and not too cold.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 4:56 PM

What do you consider a "good" school? UofH isn't bad, Rice is excellent, I think St. Thomas is considered good.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2021 4:57 PM

It all boils down to one question—how much do you like Mexican food? There’s no good Mexican food anywhere close to Boston.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2021 5:03 PM

R20 has a good point.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2021 5:12 PM

Summer in Boston, winter in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2021 5:15 PM

I love to visit Boston, but it just boggles my mind to pay New York or San Francisco prices for a city which is far inferior to either of those. (My favorite description of Boston is “San Francisco, but racist.”)

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2021 5:19 PM

I love Houston. I’d buy a house across the street from the Rothko Chapel and go see “my” Rothkos and Twombleys every day.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2021 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!