Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Criterion Collections flubs UHD/Blu-ray release of "Citizen Kane" with faulty discs

[quote]We discovered this weekend that there is a problem with Blu-ray disc 1 in all of our Citizen Kane editions that affects the contrast in the feature film, starting around the 30-minute mark and lasting until the end of the film. The 4K UHD disc is not affected. We are in the process of manufacturing corrected copies and will be making replacements available to all of our customers. We hope to have replacement discs ready to ship before the end of the year.

As much as I appreciate the Criterion Collection and their attempt to remediate the problem, this is truly embarrassing—especially for a title/release of this stature. I cannot understand how they could have allowed this to go undetected. Does anyone even watch these discs before they're sent off to be pressed by the hundreds of thousands?

I had this pre-ordered in August from DeepDiscount.com, and they shipped it out the other day, so it looks like I'm going to have to mail in the Blu-ray disc for a replacement. I read that Barnes & Noble pulled all of them from the shelves and were sending them back to the manufacturer. Criterion has to be taking a big hit on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 9:22 AM

Not sure a big hit, but some damage. Whichever company did the QC for Criterion and signed off is probably fucked.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2021 9:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!