Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Share Your Thanksgiving Kitchen Tips!

Traditionally, for mashed potatoes, you cook the potatoes in water before mashing them together with butter and cream (or milk). What I love to do is cook the potatoes in the cream and butter, so that no potato flavor goes down the drain.

Add cold, peeled, chopped potatoes, heavy cream, butter, and a couple of Tablespoons of olive oil to a sauce pan. I sometimes also add some fresh sage, a little fresh thyme, and garlic—but it's not necessary. The cream should just barely cover the potatoes.

Cover the sauce pan and simmer on medium about 20 minutes or until tender.

When the potatoes are tender, I put a bowl on the counter and a colander inside that bowl. [bold] Yes, I am draining the potatoes. [/bold]

Pour the potatoes into the colander, and collect the cream in the bowl. Discard the thyme, garlic, & sage.

Mash potatoes using a food mill, potato ricer, or a potato masher. Do this right into the empty sauce pot.

Slowly fold the potato-infused garlic cream back into the potatoes. Do it slowly so you don't end up adding more liquid than you want.

This will result in the most incredible flavor profile and the best mashed potato you'll ever taste.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote] Share Your Thanksgiving Kitchen Tips!

Take one bucket of grease.

Pour it generously over your entire kitchen.

Take a brand new lighter, and then ignite the grease.

ENJOY!

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 3:21 PM

Greg is like our own Sue Ann Nivens, only even more smug.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2021 3:54 PM

Go ahead and stock up on all your favorite alcohol. Wine, beer (gasp! it has carbs), vodka... chill those. Take out the appropriate glassware and chill. Make sure you have the appropriate mixers and garnishes to hold you through this godawful weekend.

Take your phone (if you have a land line) off the hook. Some of you youths will not understand this. It's like the analog do not disturb. Also do that to your cell phone and email.

Get your DVR set to TCM and the Macy's Day parade and any other holiday specials you may want to watch.

Order your Thanksgiving meal from Whole Foods and get it from delivery or curbside pickup, the day before.

On Thanksgiving, spend the day in your pajamas getting toasty with your pets and the people (if any) you actually DO want around.

Nurse your hangover on Black Friday by NOT shopping, watching football players' butts, de-harvesting your place, made a bloody mary or three, and set up the winter/Christmas decor.

Cheers,

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2021 4:15 PM

Hi Greg, I am not a great cook and not American either, so I don’t celebrate, but came to say hi and don’t worry about fraus from insane asylums.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2021 4:25 PM

Hi Greg, long time fan here. I don't have any cream... can I substitute oleo and Cool Whip?

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2021 4:38 PM

But Greg, what about the cheddar cheese? And the bacon? (My family adds these no matter the recipe.)

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2021 4:58 PM

Fuck, sounds SO fun! If only. Cheers 🎄

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 5:12 PM

If you really want to have all attention on your turkey this Thanksgiving, just cook the turkey neck and gizzards like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2021 2:43 AM

I'm sure this will get a lot of horrified reactions, but Thanksgiving is the one time you just have to haul out the old favorites. So, here's my mashed potato recipe:

Take as many baking potatoes as you think you'll need for however many people you're serving. Bake them as you would normally, whatever baking method you prefer. When baked, split open and scoop insides into a large bowl, and mash with a fork or a hand mixer. Then, for ever two or so pounds of potatoes, add one 16oz container sour cream, and one packet of Lipton's Onion Soup mix. Mix or beat until all is well incorporated. Pour into baking/serving bowl, and heat for about 30-45 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown on top. You can also scatter some shredded Cheddar on top, if you like your potatoes cheesy.

I know, I know. But just be grateful I didn't share my mothers stuffing recipe.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2021 2:56 AM

Begin the day with French toast made from a good panettone. Make an appetizer plate with a couple of really nice cheeses, some nuts, pickles, and stuffed celery. Then go to the house of whoever invited you over. Quick cleanup, and no stress!

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2021 3:24 AM

My niece always makes a celery stick appetizer on Thanksgiving. She takes finely shredded cheddar cheese, adds garlic salt, black pepper and mayonnaise, mixes it all together, then spreads the mixture into celery sticks. It's tasty.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2021 4:17 AM

My family does a similar thing with celery but stuffed with cream cheese, crushed (canned) pineapple, and chopped pecans..

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] Greg is like our own Sue Ann Nivens, only even more smug.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote] My family does a similar thing with celery but stuffed with cream cheese, crushed (canned) pineapple, and chopped pecans..

Why not spice it up? My clients drool when I serve this appetizer with a side of barbeque sauce.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote]Greg is like our own Sue Ann Nivens, only even more smug.

I find that difficult to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 1:11 PM

[quote] Why not spice it up? My clients drool when I serve this appetizer with a side of barbeque sauce.

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2021 1:26 PM

Here's how I like to stuff celery:

[bold] Greg's Celery Stalks Stuffed with Gorgonzola & Apples [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

4 ounces of Gorgonzola Dolce at room temperature

3/4 cup of Mascarpone at room temperature

1/2 of Granny Smith apple (skin on), finely diced

6 inner celery stalks, trimmed and cut in three pieces each

1/2 cup of the inner celery leaves, for garnish

optional: some toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans

[bold] DIRECTIONS [/bold]

In a medium bowl, mash together the Gorgonzola and mascarpone until smooth. Stir in the diced apple [and nuts if using], and mix well.

Use a teaspoon to stuff the mixture into the celery stalks. Chill for an hour before serving, and serve garnished with the celery leaves.

Delicious and pretty!

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2021 1:33 PM

If you're short on time and need a dessert for your Thanksgiving table, I highly recommend purchasing a Patti LaBelle sweet potato or buttermilk pie from Walmart. I know, I can hardly believe I'm suggesting this, but I recently had some of her buttermilk pie and it was delicious. Very sweet, but delicious just warmed up a little. It would be good served with a dollop of Creme Fraiche.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2021 2:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!