Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ridley Scott blames Millennials for “The Last Duel” bombing

Scott’s explanation for the horrible box office performance? Apathetic millennials.

“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cell phones. The millennian, [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you told it on the cell phone,” Scott said.

“This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now with Facebook,” Scott added to Maron. “This is a misdirection that has happened where it’s given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think.”

“That’s the call you make,” he said of his undertaking the project. “That’s the call Fox made. We all thought it was a terrific script. And we made it. You can’t win all the time. I’ve never had one regret on any movie I’ve ever made. Nothing. I learned very early on to be your own critic. The only thing you should really have an opinion on is what you just did. Walk away. Make sure you’re happy. And don’t look back. That’s me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 21, 2021 11:15 PM

Ridley Scott? Does he have an Onlyfans?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 8:29 PM

It looks boring.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 8:35 PM

I want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 8:37 PM

It's a period piece and looks medieval. King Arthur 2017 with Charlie Hunnam also bombed. I just don't know if there is that much interest in these old, reworked subjects.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 8:39 PM

LOL. This bombed with people of all ages. No one saw this shit.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 8:42 PM

Or maybe it bombed because he cast Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and two other actors looking like they might have an extra chromosome somewhere to play French aristocrats?

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 8:42 PM

R6, right on. The casting was abysmal. Like a lot of older dataloungers, Ridley doesn't seem to know what a millennial is. The oldest millennials are in their 40s, they aren't kids

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 8:43 PM

[quote]I just don't know if there is that much interest in these old, reworked subjects.

EXACTLY.

People can stop doing Peter Pan every few years, as well.

The only reason stories like Macbeth or The Green Knight get attention is because they're so wildly not what people expect that they garner interest.

Shakespeare had a resurgence in the 00s and late 90s because of movies like "10 Things I Hate About You," "Romeo & Juliet," "She's the Man" and "Clueless" who put new spins on classic stories.

People should know by now they can't be lazy.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 8:45 PM

R7 actually he does. This type of film is for people in their 30s/40s and older. He knows this isn’t gonna appeal to Gen Z.

30 years ago 40 year olds would go see these types of movies. Now they don’t. They watch Marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2021 8:45 PM

It's just OK. Good performances especially Jodie Comer and Matt Damon. It has a 3 point of view of main characters on an event and drags a bit. The ending is still exciting though. To be fair it probably deserved to do better than it did. Ridley is an arsehole though. Very unlikeable and arrogant man. I listened to an interview he did saying how The Good wife and it's spin off were 'his'. Mmm I would say those shows belong to the Kings. You know the ones who created, produced, cast and wrote it. Not you as the 'name' producer. Check out interviews with him. Recently was saying even though he is in his 80s is just as good as anyone younger.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2021 8:46 PM

*Correction: Clueless was Jane Austen's, "Emma"

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2021 8:46 PM

No me wants to see fucking Matt Damon or Ben Affleck, especially together, in anything ever again.

What the fucking fuck

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2021 8:47 PM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2021 8:48 PM

I saw The Last Duel opening weekend, but I'm a 50ish gay man who studied French history in college, so I'm clearly an outlier. I enjoyed it quite a bit -- solid, Rashomon-style story, great costume and production design, fine performances from Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck. I hope it finds an audience when it comes to streaming.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2021 8:49 PM

Maybe Millennials aren't interested in watching those two smug grandpas put on shitty accents and (fake) fight, in a contrived, shiteous plot?

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2021 8:50 PM

millennian?

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2021 8:51 PM

This old fart needs to fuck off. His films are so pretentious and a big pile of crap.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2021 8:52 PM

[quote] This type of film is for people in their 30s/40s and older.

Those are Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2021 8:52 PM

Damon and Affleck are two literal retards and also box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2021 8:56 PM

Yeah, Scott is blaming the wrong generation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2021 8:57 PM

R15 Adam Driver, who is 38, is grandpa?

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2021 8:58 PM

R18 yes. I know. The point is that Millennials do not enjoy mature, adult themed films the way previous generations did when they were that age.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2021 8:59 PM

I have never heard of this movie before in all my life until now.

If Ridley ever makes movies at the caliber of the original Alien -- now that, I'll go watch.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2021 9:01 PM

Matt Damon is box office poison

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote] The point is that Millennials do not enjoy mature, adult themed films the way previous generations did when they were that age.

Not true.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote] The point is that Millennials do not enjoy mature, adult themed films the way previous generations did when they were that age.

lol, put down the pipe, grandpa. What a load of rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2021 9:04 PM

Very true.

Millenials are obsessed with video games and comic book movies. 30 years ago those things were look at as for kids.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2021 9:05 PM

Poor Ben. JLo will most likely dump him soon as a result.

“Get away from me, you’re box office poison.”

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2021 9:06 PM

I can't bear current movies but I might force myself to see this because it features an interesting,intelligent actress.

Harriet Walter will take on the mantle when Maggie Smith dies soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2021 9:11 PM

R29, she looks like the mom from Charles in Charge.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2021 9:12 PM

No, R30, Harriet Walter is an actress of intelligence and intellect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2021 9:22 PM

R31, then why did she associate herself with this slop?

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2021 9:23 PM

Big Matt fam here. But I won’t watch this because he has a beard. The beard is the reason it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2021 10:23 PM

This movie probably would have done better with a theatrical-streaming dual release in the covid era, but obviously, they ultimately went with a movie theater exclusive...

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2021 10:26 PM

R22, wrong. They just don't want to see a ridiculous Matt Damon movie

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2021 10:26 PM

R27 thinks he's an expert on millennials. Btw, tons of Gen Xers are into comic book shit and Star Wars shit

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2021 10:27 PM

If a shit ton of people over 40 went too see this, it would have made more money than it did. Truth be told, even older people do not care about this garbage movie

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2021 10:29 PM

The movie looked really boring. What was supposed to be draw to get audiences in?

Also he is talking about Facebook, christ. These days the main audience for Facebook is not Millennials, it is generations older than them which love spending time on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote] Btw, tons of Gen Xers are into comic book shit and Star Wars shit

I put mine in the toilet, R36.

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2021 10:40 PM

[quote]Btw, tons of Gen Xers are into comic book shit and Star Wars shit

Comic book movies are the "Die Hard," "Cliff Hanger," "Predator," and "Alien," of my (millennial) generation. They're just all under the same banner.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2021 10:40 PM

All those films you mentioned are far better and smarter than fucking Avengers. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2021 10:41 PM

It bombed because audiences couldn't stand to look at this blown up 20 ft high for three hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2021 10:49 PM

^ Jar Jar Binks ?

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2021 11:37 PM

Harriet needed a pay check. Fiona Show did "Pixels".

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2021 11:42 PM

He’s right.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2021 11:47 PM

I saw it. I liked it. It got very little marketing and I'm sure more than a few people were turned off by Matt and Ben's awful hairpieces. It should've had a streaming option. People were more likely to give it a shot at home.

Also, again...Gen Z. I'm a millennial. The first iphone came out my senior year of high school.

[quote'“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you’re told it on a cellphone,” Scott said.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2021 11:52 PM

Just say “asshole kids today”. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2021 11:53 PM

I like Jodie Comer and I'm a sucker for a period piece but it's Covid, it's a movie centered around a rape, and with casting that is questionable (though I thought everyone did a fine job)

Yeah, I'm so SHOCKED it didn't break the box office.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2021 11:57 PM

For me it was a good night out at the movies. A little long, but I was able to buy Matt Damon as a French Knight—that’s an achievement in itself.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2021 11:58 PM

R49 I agree he did well (Comer and Affleck were the standouts for me, but I think plenty of people looked at the trailer and didn't see the potential. Can't fault them. I was skeptical about it.

Also, we've been getting hammered with ads for House of Gucci for MoNTHS. The ads for Last Duel (an obscure event I'd never heard of) were almost nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2021 12:01 AM

I haven’t seen it but I’m not a fan of Matt Damion.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2021 12:01 AM

And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2021 12:10 AM

Gotta agree with some of the posts. As a fan of “the duellists” I would probably have gone to see this but Matt Damon starring put me off. I like Adam driver but he’s not exciting enough to make up for the gimmick casting of Damon and affleck.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2021 12:20 AM

I wonder, after a decade of Game of Thrones and experiencing that excellent stable of British character actors, throwing the Boston bros into this chivalrous melodrama felt silly for US audiences? Even if they pull it off, it looks like a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2021 12:21 AM

It is Matt Damon's mullet along with Adam Driver's contemporary accent that killed this movie.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2021 12:26 AM

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck cannot do period roles or play non-Americans. Casting them as Medieval Frenchmen was insane. All they can play are two guys from Boston from the year 2021.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2021 12:29 AM

Matt Damion? Matt DEMON!

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2021 12:29 AM

R56, Damon was actually surprisingly good in The Brothers Grimm alongside Heath Ledger. He probably shot his wad with that one though.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2021 12:30 AM

I thought the faggots loved me! I was sure they would come in droves!

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2021 12:31 AM

[quote]Btw, tons of Gen Xers are into comic book shit and Star Wars shit

Gen Xers are the ones who made Star Wars a phenomenon. We were the kids of the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]These days the main audience for Facebook is not Millennials, it is generations older than them which love spending time on Facebook.

My Boomer mother and Boomer aunts who post recipes and funny cat memes are Facebook's main audience now.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2021 12:37 AM

People are on FB. They just don’t use it much minus older people.

Most people in their 20s or 30s on FB use it to keep in touch with some friends families or just for articles on their feed. That’s what I use it for. It’s the best social media app for news.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2021 12:40 AM

A womanly ass is box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2021 12:56 AM

no one wants to see this shitty movie about knights

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote] A womanly ass is box office poison.

?

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2021 1:05 AM

It was poorly marketed. I went on a whim and was surprised that the storytelling was better than I thought it would be. However, I couldn't get over so many Americans in lead roles.......all of the times I've lamented that British actors have taken over so many lead roles in American movies/tv/etc.....and here's the movie where they would have fit in (and acted) so much better. But the movie probably wouldn't have gotten financial backing without Damon, etc. being cast.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] all of the times I've lamented that British actors have taken over so many lead roles in American movies

I'm glad Harriett was featured at the US premiere at Lincoln Center’s Rose Theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2021 1:28 AM

Part of what happened to it was Damon stepped on his dick while promoting this movie. It generated a lot of "Fuck this guy" among the very group of people (young people) who they needed to go see it, since people over the age of 32 never go to the theater any more.

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote] Part of what happened to it was Damon stepped on his dick

Pics, please! I didn't know it was that long.

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2021 1:38 AM

I actually thought it was coming out in December. Good marketing.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] I actually thought it was coming out in December.

It's a warm, family Christmas movie about rape.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2021 1:57 AM

I'm not really into rape revenge films. I felt the same way about Taken. I never understood the popularity.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2021 1:59 AM

I'm going to buy it and rename it "Damon And The Argonauts", add some '60s bimbo footage and redub it badly.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] Harriet Walter will take on the mantle when Maggie Smith dies soon.

She'll pass through; Maggie Smith stays. So just keep Harriet W. in her proper sphere.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2021 2:45 AM

It looked interesting enough but Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? Miscast. It also came across as a medieval story that they tried to me-too and woke-ify. Flyovers got turned off. Woke women were triggered enough to not watch it coz I dont wanna relive that trauma! And men would rather watch marvel.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2021 2:58 AM

Note to Mr. Scott: Millennials and Gen-Z were clamoring for "We Bought ANOTHER Zoo".

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2021 3:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2021 3:41 AM

He's about to get another wake up call from Millennials with "House of Gucci"...

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2021 3:41 AM

He sounds like a douche. I wish I could see Houce Of Gucci without giving him my money.

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2021 3:43 AM

OP- Matt Damon looks HORRIBLE in that photo

although I NEVER thought he was good looking

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2021 3:50 AM

When you make a dreary period movie like this, you have to spice tbings up with some dry-humping and nudity. This would've been a good time to see the Damon dick.

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2021 3:52 AM

R78 the gays would go see Lady Gaga read a phone book while eating cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2021 3:54 AM

I just finished this thread and I can't tell you the name of the fucking film. Everything about this turkey felt off / and I never saw a trailer. Covid cases are rising again in Arizona.... who wants to go to a film like this now?

by Anonymousreply 83November 23, 2021 4:00 AM

Correction. Apathetic millennials with good taste.

by Anonymousreply 84November 23, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote] you have to spice tbings up with some dry-humping and nudity

Not Adam Driver please. Damon is acceptable and even miserable, bloated, back-tattooed Affleck wouldn't cause me to turn away. Just not Driver please.

by Anonymousreply 85November 23, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote] It was poorly marketed.

Very poorly marketed. The interviews with Damon and Affleck also showcased the third scriptwriter as if to say "Hey, at least for this one we're owning up to the fact we used someone else to write it."

by Anonymousreply 86November 23, 2021 4:09 AM

Did the Damon character hate-fuck the Affleck character or vice versa?

by Anonymousreply 87November 23, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote] She'll pass through; Maggie Smith stays. So just keep Harriet W. in her proper sphere.

I'm sorry to say, R74, that Maggie Smith and Vanessa Redgrave are not long for this mortal sphere.

We need to adjust to the new generation. Judi Dench was a nobody until after the previous generation's Dame Peggy Ashcroft died.

And I tell you that Harriet Water will be a worthy replacement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 23, 2021 4:15 AM

R82 "The gays" are not the mass public he needs to make his work successful. "The gays" and the even smaller demo that are actually Gaga fans isn't nearly as big as you think.

by Anonymousreply 89November 23, 2021 4:16 AM

After the nightmarish two years we’ve had, who wanted to sit through a rape drama? Plus miscast leads. Plus hack writers who had to hire a woman to write the female pov? That was weird. Writers used to just write about all kinds of things. It didn’t have to be based on your biology.

by Anonymousreply 90November 23, 2021 4:18 AM

Has a zoo been purchased?

by Anonymousreply 91November 23, 2021 4:18 AM

[quote] Has a zoo been purchased?

A zoo was indeed acquired.

by Anonymousreply 92November 23, 2021 4:20 AM

Quite right.

Quite right.

by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2021 4:25 AM

R29/R31/R67/R88, you're not really much of a Harriet Walter fan are you?

by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2021 4:27 AM

Lots of gay guys are pretty indifferent to Lady Gaga. I'm one of them. I like some of her early songs, but she's never been a huge deal to me.

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2021 4:28 AM

Mister Interloc'ter

What is wrong with you?

I know of a doctor

Tell about him, do

Sad to say, one day he fell

Right into a great big well

Why That's too bad!

Why tut tut not at all!

Why speak in such a tone?

He should have tended to the sick

And let the well alone!

————————————

That's a joke that was told

In the minstrel days we miss

When Matt and Affleck used to sing

And dance to a song like this!

by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2021 4:35 AM

I hadn't heard of THE LAST DUEL before I saw the trailer in a theater before its release. The second Matt Damon appeared on screen, the audience burst out laughing. It was impossible to buy anything the trailer was selling after that.

Damon has been an absolute failure in pre-20th Century period pieces (THE BROTHERS GRIMM, THE GREAT WALL). Why the fuck would you cast him if you want your historical epic to be taken seriously?

by Anonymousreply 97November 23, 2021 4:49 AM

Affleck and Damon are both so modern, they can't play any roles that are before the mid-late 20th Century.

by Anonymousreply 98November 23, 2021 4:55 AM

I would have made this a hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 23, 2021 5:04 AM

Younger audiences are fine with long, complicated stories. But not told all at once in a long movie. Make that shit into a six-part streaming series and show it on Netflix, and people will watch.

by Anonymousreply 100November 23, 2021 5:04 AM

Was Matt as good as Robert Wagner playing Prince Valiant? I doubt the title music was as good - assuming that movies even have music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 101November 23, 2021 5:08 AM

Scott's "The Duellists" lost money in 1977, but he can't blame Millennials for that...

by Anonymousreply 102November 23, 2021 5:32 AM

This apathetic millennial isn’t taking his sweet ass to be coughed on at a cinema for the umpteenth Adam Driver Oscar Bait release.

by Anonymousreply 103November 23, 2021 5:48 AM

[quote] The point is that Millennials do not enjoy mature, adult themed films the way previous generations did when they were that age

The previous generations scooped up everything Spielberg, Lucas, Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Loren Michaels shat out at cinemas worldwide, so don’t give me that shit.

It’s the fault of the studios for not making mainstream adult dramas. This is a mainstream adult dram but it looks as bad as Leo in The Man In The Iron Mask in the 90s. The Peter Weirs, Sydney Pollacks and Jonathan Demmes got their films released and millennials grew up watching them. Blame the studios who won’t release them. Car in point: Richard Linklater made Before Sunrise in the 90s. It was made and released by a mainstream studio. The second film 9 years later was released by the studio’s independent arm. The third film was funded by venture capitalists. Each film cost $2 million but there’s no way a strip would spend $2 million on a talky romantic drama because it would need to spend tens of millions in promotion and advertising. It doesn’t make sense to them. Whereas they would rather spend $200 million on an action movie and spend $70 million flying the cast all over the world to promote it if they can make a profit of half a billions.

Don’t blame audiences, Ridley. But you won’t blame the CEOs, because they pay your wage.

by Anonymousreply 104November 23, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote] The previous generations scooped up everything Spielberg, Lucas, Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Loren Michaels shat out at cinemas worldwide,

Not Howard the Duck!

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2021 6:21 AM

Ridley Scott really needs to shut the fuck up lately. He just sounds 'bitter old man' all the time and it's tarnishing his legacy.

He is a great director and has directed some of the best films of all time, he really doesn't need to be out there alienating people and potential audiences. Sit down and shut the fuck up Ridders.

by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2021 8:33 AM

He's been coming across as very "old man yells at cloud." And I say that as a snobby millennial who silently judges my Marvel-obsessed, social-media-addicted peers.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2021 8:51 AM

I blame Damon's womanly hips for the failure of the film.

by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2021 8:56 AM

Isn’t this the guy behind Alien and that god-awful Prometheus?

by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2021 9:04 AM

The humble and grateful era of "It's an honor to being nominated!" is long gone. The public display of disdain (even for your own fanbase or audience), throwing shade, sharing your disapproval and get attention and likes for it, is dominating news cycles and social media trends. Stephen Dorff dissing Scarlett Johansen and Black Widow, for example.

I know of the movie because of Datalounge and the "Oh, how I hate this movie (idea)! Kill it, kill it with fire!" typical DL promotion. Big fan of Adam Driver and yeah, I'm probably the only one who thinks he looks pretty decent and is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2021 9:24 AM

Ridley Scott was, and probably still is a fine director, with The Duellists being one of my favorite films. However like many successful AND powerful filmmakers, he no doubt believes his own publicity. So when he says Fox did a fantastic job marketing The Last Duel, what he really means is that they listened to everything he told them to do, since he no doubt had control of the film’s marketing. (After all, advertising is his background and metier, and he’s never strayed all that far from it). Anyway, it’s just easier not to accept the blame.

by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2021 9:30 AM

Rumors from the set were that much of the cast and crew were unhappy about working with Matt after his recent anti-gay comments in the press. He tried to smooth things over by insisting that everyone refer to him as Mr. Faggot on set, including Mr. Scott.

"I just figured if I have them call me 'faggot,' then it's like, okay, now we're even."

by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2021 10:04 AM

[quote] he really doesn't need to be out there alienating people

I see what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2021 1:32 PM

[quote]Or maybe it bombed because he cast Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and two other actors looking like they might have an extra chromosome somewhere to play French aristocrats?

Ding ding ding! I love Jodie Comer, I've loved several other Ridley Scott films and I'm always down for a medieval French period piece. I SHOULD have been the audience for this movie. But the minute I saw Affleck and Damon there was no way I was going to watch it. Some actors just don't belong in anything set prior to the 20th century, and they're two of them. The tone deafness of casting them together in a film like this is astonishing. Scott is finally losing it.

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2021 1:45 PM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2021 1:49 PM

Affleck is very good in this, but, yeah, Damon was hopeless. Comer and Harriet Walter are good. Driver is ok, but I hate looking at his ugly mug for so long; many of his scenes featured Adam Nagaitis as his lackey, and so I found myself staring at him when they were on-screen together -- his looks are unconventional like Driver's, but much more appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote] Some actors just don't belong in anything set prior to the 20th century, and they're two of them.

Some actors can't even play the first half of the 20th Century, Damon and Affleck are two of them. I wouldn't cast them in anything that takes place prior to the 50s or maybe even the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2021 2:25 PM

Saw the trailer for this at home and started laughing my ass off the minute Damon appeared. His casting, along with Affleck, killed any interest in seeing this film. Ridley can blame millennials but he the problem is that he is creating films that would appeal to a 90s audience.

by Anonymousreply 118November 23, 2021 2:28 PM

I love the Casted Troll so much.

by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2021 6:38 PM

Who should of they casted instead of Affleck and Damon?

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2021 8:26 PM

François Arnaud in the Adam Driver role, for a start. He's convincing in period roles, and genuinely hot, so the sexual tension between him and Jodie Comer would've been more believable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2021 9:15 PM

R120 they were both good in the roles, especially Affleck, but I was definitely surprised.

by Anonymousreply 122November 23, 2021 9:15 PM

Damion

by Anonymousreply 123November 23, 2021 9:24 PM

Lol, a guy born in 1937 getting on his heels and wanting to teach people something thorugh a shitty HOLLYWOOD MOVIE.

by Anonymousreply 124November 26, 2021 5:57 AM

I just watched this film and it was GOOFY as all hell. The fact that Ridley Scott is chiding millennials for not being serious or thoughtful enough to see this is hilarious. It is complete dreck that plays like Damon and Affleck were hosting SNL and made a Game of Thrones parody. Meanwhile, the setting changes every five seconds, jumping around like a millennial’s attention span. The dialogue is ridiculous, the score is laughable (part of what makes it feel like a cheap GOT parody), and my god, the hair and makeup…. I guess the costumes are nice.

[quote] I wonder, after a decade of Game of Thrones and experiencing that excellent stable of British character actors, throwing the Boston bros into this chivalrous melodrama felt silly for US audiences?

YES

by Anonymousreply 125December 21, 2021 12:39 AM

I didn’t see this. I’m not a big fan of Matt Damion, but I am a huge fan of Ridley Scott. I’ll have to check this out.

by Anonymousreply 126December 21, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote] It is complete dreck that plays like Damon and Affleck were hosting SNL and made a Game of Thrones parody.

That's an excellent description!

by Anonymousreply 127December 21, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote]Comic book movies are the "Die Hard," "Cliff Hanger," "Predator," and "Alien," of my (millennial) generation. They're just all under the same banner.

You can’t compare Alien to comic book movies. You can’t compare any of those movies to comic book movies because they are original ideas turned into film.

by Anonymousreply 128December 21, 2021 1:15 AM

None of those movies would be made today because they’re too “risky”.

by Anonymousreply 129December 21, 2021 1:16 AM

The score sounds like Ridley Scott went on YouTube and searched for “generic Renaissance festival song.”

by Anonymousreply 130December 21, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] The score sounds like Ridley Scott went on YouTube and searched for “generic Renaissance festival song.”

Huzzah!

by Anonymousreply 131December 21, 2021 1:18 AM

*fife music plays*

by Anonymousreply 132December 21, 2021 1:20 AM

Scott thinks Millennials are on Facebook?

What an idiot.

That's why his film bombed; he is totally out of touch with the audience.

by Anonymousreply 133December 21, 2021 1:23 AM

This is referred to as a Rashomon-style story, but in none of the versions is it anything but a clear and obvious rape. My suspicion is they originally planned for the second version to be “willing” and then someone (Nicole Holofcener?) made them see sense and realize they’d be accused of excusing rape.

by Anonymousreply 134December 21, 2021 1:45 AM

R134 It's very subtle, but in his "interpretation" it could be seen as her playing with him. In her version, she's clearly terrified.

My surprise was that in his version, he still lasted 2 minutes

by Anonymousreply 135December 21, 2021 1:47 AM

Even in the second version, she’s literally running away and screaming no.

by Anonymousreply 136December 21, 2021 1:48 AM

The Renaissance Faire score made the Oscar shortlist today - huzzah!

by Anonymousreply 137December 21, 2021 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!