Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Target says it will never open on Thanksgiving again

Say goodbye to Target runs on Thanksgiving.

Target (TGT) said Monday that it will close all of its stores on Thanksgiving every year from 2021 on. Target closed stores last year on Thanksgiving due to the pandemic and had previously announced it will close this Thanksgiving too.

"What started as a temporary measure driven by the pandemic is now our new standard," Target CEO Brian Cornell said in a note to employees. Cornell said he decided to make the policy permanent after visiting Target stores last week in New York and New Jersey, where workers told him they were glad they could stay home on Thanksgiving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 1:33 PM

The pandemic pushed many other chains last year to close their doors on Thanksgiving last year, including Walmart (WMT), Best Buy (BBY) and Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS). These companies will again close on the holiday this year, although none have made permanent changes to their Thanksgiving policies going forward.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 7:18 PM

Target's announcement Monday was another sign of how the holiday shopping stretch in the United States has changed. While the holiday period used to be marked by a few big days, retailers in recent years have started their deals and events earlier and spread them out across the season— helping them avoid a crush of demand, which can strain their stores and delivery networks. This year, retailers moved up their deals earlier than ever to get in front of supply chain woes and limit empty shelves.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 7:19 PM

Not all major retailers will close on Thanksgiving, however. Whole Foods, Kroger (KR) and Dollar General (DG), among others, will stay open.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 7:20 PM

Good. Now all the "family values" frauen will have to stay home with their God damned families, where they fucking belong. Bet we see a huge rise in domestic violence on Thanksgivig day from all the Karen's who can't get their shopping fix that day.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 7:23 PM

[quote] Target says it will never open on Thanksgiving again

That's horrible. If a tranny needs to use the toilet on Thanksgiving where can they now go?

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 7:51 PM

^^The Hyatt

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 8:01 PM

Roxane Gay

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 8:02 PM

Its HEARTWARMING how wonderfully Target treats its workers.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 10:05 PM

Supply chain issues.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 9:03 AM

How the FUCK is Target still open?

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 11:35 AM

This is great news. As soon as they get another CEO, Target will reopen on Thanksgiving. "Never" is not a word that holds much water when money is to be made, sadly!

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 11:52 AM

Nooooo! Not again! I get the best cock there!

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 11:53 AM

Isn't Thanksgiving Day one of the biggest shopping days of the year?

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 12:08 PM

Retail stores do not need to be open on Thanksgiving. Give the damn workers a break.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 12:12 PM

Let’s also start closing everything on Sundays again- except bars and restaurants. Get during the week or do without, no one is that busy. If they are, chances are they’re already using Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 12:22 PM

Supply and demand. If there are more shittily paid part time jobs than workers to take them, you can't coerce your employees into giving up their holidays to staff your stupid big box stores.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 2:40 PM

Anecdotal, but I worked on Thanksgiving at a Target in South Carolina in 2019. It was a massive bust. Huge drop from the previous year in terms of sales.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 2:58 PM

Some of us work Monday through Saturday, r15. I'm not supposed to get groceries because of your personal aesthetics?

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 3:23 PM

I always kind of enjoyed getting out of the house on Thanksgiving to walk off dinner. Target was the only place we'd really go. There were always some hot daddies shopping with their annoying wives.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote] Let’s also start closing everything on Sundays again- except bars and restaurants.

No, let's not. The Christian right will think of this as a win for Christianity, "family values," etc. I like having the option of shopping on Sunday although I rarely do (shop on Sunday).

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote] I worked on Thanksgiving at a Target in South Carolina in 2019.

You sound hawt.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 5:15 PM

I, too, have split days off and while I'm not theoretically against everything closing on Sunday, I just can't make it work as I do the majority of my shopping on Sunday

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 6:17 PM

Also, lovely pic in the article link there...can they find a single THIN middle class/working class individual in the US anymore??

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 6:18 PM

So all those people who make a minimum wage will lose a day's pay. That'll help them out.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 6:20 PM

R21 I did what I had to do after being laid off. Thanks for trying to make me feel badly about it.

R24 Actually, for Thanksgiving they got double time.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 6:22 PM

Oh god, r25, that was the exact OPPOSITE of what I was implying. I swear.

I find most Target workers hot. Plus, it was supposed to be a joke. Don’t be so defensive.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 8:57 PM

Are they reopening 12:01am Friday morning?

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 9:01 PM

[quote] Let’s also start closing everything on Sundays again- except bars and restaurants.

If we can force church to close on Sunday, I just might go for this.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 9:04 PM

This is a positive. Allow people to spend time at home. There is nothing available on Thanksgiving you can’t buy the day before or after.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 9:05 PM

Tune in to QVC, watch me do my happy dance, and shop!

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 9:09 PM

Publix here in FL is closed as well. I could swear Whole Foods used to be open all but two days a year - Christmas and Thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 9:17 PM

[quote]Let’s also start closing everything on Sundays again- except bars and restaurants.

Welcome to Bergen county, NJ in 2021!

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]Publix here in FL is closed as well

Ugh. I can certainly see closing early like noon, but I'd like to see grocery stores open for part of the day at least.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 9:37 PM

I actually feel things should start closing earlier again. It’s ridiculous that some places make their employees work until midnight and then they still have to clean etc.

I knew a woman whose train stopped running by midnight and they still made her stay. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2021 9:37 PM

This sounds like great news. Shops don't have to be open on Thanksgiving. You know the special day is coming be prepared and enjoy the day with family and friends...or not!! Retail in 2021 is hard enough without really shitty customers giving staff a hard time.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 9:45 PM

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2021 9:50 PM

The only stories that NEED to be open on major holidays are grocery stores. Shit happens and you need to get something to eat at the market. No one NEEDS a new TV that day.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote] I find most Target workers hot.

I think it’s the outfit they give us. The red polo is always 2 sizes too small that I feel like I’m bulging out of it. Everyone I know is complaining about losing Thanksgiving Day. We were getting paid double time and that is how we make it through the holidays to buy gifts. The people with families who didn’t want to work that day, didn’t work anyway so this closure doesn’t even affect them. Now no double time, no single time either. Thanks a lot!

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 9:57 PM

Walmart made its employees work one of their days off so they could have Thanksgiving off. No paid holiday for Walmart workers.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote]No one NEEDS a new TV that day.

The hell they don’t. I need to watch Spider-Man: No Way Home that day on my new big screen TV.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2021 10:00 PM

Good. But I bet some of the workers didn’t have family they wanted to be with and enjoyed the double time pay.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2021 10:01 PM

Target gives double pay on Black Friday now since they’re closed on Thanksgiving r41. BF wasn’t double pay. Now it is.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2021 10:02 PM

Yes r4, it's the women's fault they get their asses beat because they can't compulsively shop at Target on Thanksgiving. Christ almighty, I bet your poor co-workers worry you're going to shoot up the place. You can't keep your kind of crazy hidden

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2021 10:38 PM

Frankly, the year I worked at Target on Thanksgiving, it wasn't that big a deal. I think most families eat pretty early. They opened at 5:00pm. I ate with my family at 3pm, relaxed a bit, took a shower, and went in till 1am.

Honestly, it was kinda fun. Plus the double time. I remember there being massively less customers than they had expected. There was some kind of crazy special on Ipads- and they put up stanchions leading up to the register in the tech department- with people there to "guide" the line. It was all not needed. There was a line from about 5pm to 5:05pm- everyone who was supposed to work the line was standing around- and I can tell you Target does NOT like employees standing around. Several people got sent home early.

I would bet this decision has more to do with buying habits (people not motivated to go out, waiting till the next day, buying online) than Target wanting employees to enjoy Thanksgiving.

BTW, I suppose Target is better than Walmart, but working at Target was quite dehumanizing.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!