Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spacey ordered to pay $31 million to House of Cards producer

That’s gotta hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 16, 2021 7:54 AM

OP- I’m SLOW today. When I first glanced at the title of your thread I thought you were referring to Sissy Spacek.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 6:35 PM

Does he even have that much money left?

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 6:38 PM

R2- Did he ever have that much money to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 7:21 PM

I will not be ignored!

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 8:36 PM

Can Anthony Rapp lend him some RENT money? Or STAR TREK residuals?

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 9:08 PM

Anthony Rapp was in Star Trek?

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 9:17 PM

Ha ha!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2021 2:49 AM

Maybe this will cause him to re-think his behavior........nah

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2021 3:26 AM

Oh no! He won't even have enough dough left to buy Anthony Rapp some much needed Crest White Strips!

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2021 3:38 AM

But what about my 40 million????? I was gonna retire with that!!

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 3:42 AM

R3 It sounds to me like they want everything back that they paid him. .. Back when "House of Cards" was on, one report said Spacey was making $500,000 per episode. Another report in Forbes during that time, once listed him as the 12th highest paid actor on TV, saying he was being paid $10.5 million in 2016. (There were 13 episodes that year). .. So since he appeared in a total of 65 episodes, the math kind of works... lol

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 3:57 AM

Why? Wasn't he asked to leave?

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 4:03 AM

"He won't even have enough dough left to buy Anthony Rapp some much needed Crest White Strips!"

Maybe you can lend some hair-in-a-can to your idol, Kevin, since he won't have too much money left

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2021 4:04 AM

Didn’t they look the other way for all those years according to CNN?

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2021 4:10 AM

What bullshit. They should have stood by him instead of being trendy. I hope he assures them they will never get a dime and fights it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2021 4:14 AM

Yeah I hope he keeps the money.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2021 4:17 AM

R15 Agreed.. Regardless of his indiscretions he still did a great job on the series money he worked hard for. His career is already ruined enough.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2021 4:19 AM

Geez. He was so entertaining on the show. Worth every penny in entertainment value.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2021 4:21 AM

He probably has all his assets stashed away in offshore accounts.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2021 4:29 AM

Who made the Arbitrator the Judge, Jury and Executioner? He's never been convicted in a court of law, or sentenced.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2021 4:47 AM

Spacey agreed to binding arbitration in his contract. Courts enforce arbitration agreements.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 4:49 AM

He's also been doing real estate over the years. A few years ago, he sold one place in L.A. for $11 million that he'd bought for around $2.1 million.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 5:15 AM

Kevin Spacey raped me.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 5:18 AM

I'm in show biz, but I'm very wary of people having their careers and bank accounts ruined because they're acknowledged as assholes. Lots of people are jerks, but companies acting like they must offer "safe spaces" for all is a bit ridiculous. Sure, get rid of criminals, but what I'm hearing more of is "He just made me feel bad and nervous" which is not a high enough bar to be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 5:49 AM

If he is into real estate then he knows he should have bought a 50 million dollar mansion in Florida. BK courts cant touch it in that state. Why do you think OJ and a lot of drug dealers live there?

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 5:57 AM

R2 & R3 - Remember, Kevin had 30 years of work in TV, movies and theater. And then he did commercials, was on the speech circuit and had other ventures. He should have the money but this is a definite dent in his retirement.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 9:45 AM

R20 & R21 - This was a non binding arbitration. If it was binding, then Kevin would've never been able to appeal the original decision from 18 months ago. Also, MRC has to go to court to get the judgement legal enforced.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 9:48 AM

What exactly happened on the HoC set?

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 9:51 AM

What exactly is he in trouble for? From what I've read he seems to come on a little too strong at times, which can be annoying, but otherwise I'm at a loss as to what he did that made him persona non grata?

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2021 6:58 PM

Didn’t he stick his finger up some guy’s asshole? I also seem to recall him assaulting a driver who was bringing him to the set.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2021 7:04 PM

R27, the contract states:

[quote] All disputes, claims or controversies (‘Dispute’) in connection with Lender’s and Player’s engagement with respect to the Series shall be resolved by mediation and, if Studio and Lender and Player are unable to resolve any such Dispute by mediation, by binding arbitration under the JAMS/Endispute [ ] Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures in effect as of the date hereof, including the JAMS appeal procedure.”

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2021 7:43 PM

Just like Rapp who got Rapped, not Raped... which translates to "Nothing happened at all."

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2021 9:47 PM

They made a fortune off Spacey already.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2021 11:52 PM

I'm on team Spacey.

Only becuase I have been told I kind of look like him and I would rather be recognized as that famous actor and not the famous pedo.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 6:09 AM

This is bullshit.. They are the ones who ruined the value of the show by filming that fucking terrible “girl power” final season with Robin Wright.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote]If he is into real estate then he knows he should have bought a 50 million dollar mansion in Florida.

I have an 800 sf condo in Miami that he can have for a measly $21.7 million.

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2021 11:47 AM

I loved that show, and I was heartbroken at him having to leave.

OTOH, I'm not sure that's worth $31 mil.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2021 11:51 AM

R24 must be a rapist

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2021 10:51 PM

Even before the sexual harassment/assault scandal Kevin Spacey was known to be an awful human being. So I don't feel sorry for Spacey. And his behavior since the shit hit the fan has just been bizarre. He really is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 11:30 PM

[Quote]Attorneys on both sides took depositions from more 20 people, leading up to an eight-day confidential arbitration hearing in February 2020. The arbitrator issued a 46-page ruling in July 2020, which remains confidential

I'd like to see this.

Still, this sounds like BS. If the condemnation was so great the company would be just as liable for not putting a stop to the "toxic" environment sooner.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote]Didn’t he stick his finger up some guy’s asshole?

Did he?

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2021 11:53 PM

The 31 million is the money they lost from having to pull him from the show.

Meaning--

All the episodes that had to be re-written (on the fly) and the fact that the they couldn't film a normal number of episodes because of the delay caused by the re-writing, so they lost money delivering only a fraction of episodes that they were contractually obligated to deliver.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2021 6:44 AM

Didn’t they look the other way while he was harassing crew members for five years? Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2021 7:08 AM

Maybe the $31 million is to be distributed to those he harassed on set, so they don’t all have to sue him (or the network) individually.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2021 7:23 AM

Poor Anthony. Kevin’s not gonna have enough money to pay him now.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2021 6:37 PM

R44 - All that money is to pay back MRC. The statute of limitations for individual sexual harassment cases has already passed. This was a breach of contract lawsuit, not a sexual harassment lawsuit.

[quote]so they lost money delivering only a fraction of episodes that they were contractually obligated to deliver.

Exactly. A lot of people didn't understand that MRC was paid less money because they only delivered 8 episodes to Netflix, not the contracted 13.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2021 6:02 PM

They shouldn’t have been paid anything for that god awful last season.

Robin Wright really stunk up that show. I was always hoping Frank would kill her.

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2021 6:24 PM

DL lawyers, what happens now in this case?

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2021 1:43 AM

Case is now over. Only thing next is that Kevin pays the judgement.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2021 1:34 AM

Doesn't his behavior also limit proceeds from streaming reruns and DVD/bluray sales? That is a lot of lost revenue.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2021 1:47 AM

I hope they don't hold their breaths waiting for that money, or even part of it, because they'll never see a dime. His attorneys will use every trick in the book to keep him from having to pay a cent.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote] His attorneys will use every trick in the book to keep him from having to pay a cent.

Then he'll have to shell out millions in legal fees. Good!

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2021 3:29 AM

Shouldn’t we be getting a creepy Christmas video by now?

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2021 3:46 AM

Dont most people who get ordered to pay more money then they actually have just go BK and wash their hands of it? This lawsuit is really just for show. He will not be paying that.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2021 5:13 AM

Given that everyone who sued Spacey died someway or the other, I am interested to see how this one turns out.

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2021 5:37 AM

R55, That’s a dumb conspiracy started by right wingers. Only one person who had a lawsuit died because he was in his late 60s and had lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2021 11:16 AM

Let’s hope he doesn’t feel compelled to make another creepy-ass fireside video about it.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2021 11:18 AM

I know, let's make a lousy decision and cut our star loose for totally unproven reasons -- and then SUE HIM FOR LEAVING!!!

fucking idiots rising the tend. hope he never pays a dime. Team Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2021 6:16 PM

Unproven reasons? How many victims need to press charges against the creep?

by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2021 6:34 PM

What are the reasons? What has he ever been charged with? Other than allegations of being maybe too forward, what exactly did he do?

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2021 6:46 PM

Seriously, you New Puritans are more damaging to gays than the Far Right ever could be. He may have hit on some and God only knows if they were flirting back but I haven't really heard a single shocking incident yet. Including that asshole Rapp.

by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] He may have hit on some and God only knows if they were flirting back but I haven't really heard a single shocking incident yet. Including that asshole Rapp.

Jumping on a teenage boy is not "shocking" to you? Is that something YOU do on a regular basis? Your defense of Spacey sure says a lot about YOU.

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2021 9:29 PM

Maybe he can be in the new Lethal weapon 4 that Mel Gibson is doing. Two old ugly assholes.

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2021 10:29 PM

Damn, that's a lot. I don't know if Kevin was making $20 million a pitcha at any point, but let's hope he invested well...

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2021 10:34 PM

Relax, Grandma R62, and clutch those pearls.. He fell on a teen like a drunk uncle and then left the room. NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED and that's by Rapp's words. (Unless you mean the kid in the bar and that is a whole other stupid unproven story). You are a prude of the worst order and naive to boot and, God, I hope you are female so I can be less embarrassed for you.

Jesus, people like you make me root for him even more. Worse than Bible thumpers.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2021 11:56 PM

"His attorneys will use every trick in the book to keep him from having to pay a cent."

You guys watch too much TV. That's not how arbitration works. When you go into arbitration, both sides agree that they are willing to accept the arbitrator's decision. So the defendant is going to pay. However, the real question is who is actually going to pay. Spacey AND his two production companies were sued. So will the payment be divided amongst the three? Or did they have insurance?

But the judgement is going to get paid. If the defendant doesn't pay it then the plaintiff can enact liens on the assets of all three of the defendants.

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2021 12:03 AM

If the most traumatic thing that ever happened to you is that Kevin Spacey came onto you, then fuck you. You in no way deserve your day in court. Just fuck get a grip on reality.

If it happened to me, I'd dine out on a story like that for the rest of my life, and call it a win, without ever going to court or making a big dog and pony show about it. It would just be a funny story I'd have to tell. And I do have a couple of celebrity flirty stories. There is no way in hell I'd ever drag anyone for trying.

by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote]Dont most people who get ordered to pay more money then they actually have just go BK and wash their hands of it?

Not exactly. If you are a plaintiff and win a judgement against the defendant, it is the plaintiff who has to go after the money. This can be very time consuming and expensive so many don't go after it. However, they key is to get a court to enter the actual judgement. If a poor defendant suddenly comes into money, then the plaintiff can go after it successfully. The downside for the defendant is that if a judgement is ordered against you & its not paid, then its part of your credit history and can fuck up your credit.

Because MRC actually has the wherewithal to collect the money, they will. The fact that they went to LA court to get the judgement verified by the court tells me that they're going after their money.

by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]If you are a plaintiff and win a judgement against the defendant, it is the plaintiff who has to go after the money

Yes. This is why the family of Ron Goldman has been literally chasing after OJ Simpson for over 20 years. They are willing to do whatever it takes so they collect the judgement. Ron's father has literally made it his job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2021 12:12 AM

None of you know anything about contract law and the difference between that and criminal law. Kevin Spacey is not and has not been charged criminally. This particular story is about their contract.

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2021 12:18 AM

Hey R70, yes we know the difference you dunce. We're talking about a civil judgement, not a criminal conviction. FFS.

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2021 1:05 AM

so what does the contract in question have to say?

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2021 1:07 AM

whats nutty about this lawsuit and spacey being required to pay is that MRC spent years enabling his behavior. they knew exactly what was happening on set, how he treated people, etc and did whatever they could (firing people/paying people off) to keep the cash cow alive. then when his behavior got too public and netflix stepped in to fire him, MRC pretends like they're innocent bystanders who deserve money from lost profits? crazy shit.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote] He fell on a teen like a drunk uncle and then left the room.

Yeah, you were right there and saw everything I suppose. How many teenage boys have YOU leaped on, perv? Too many to remember, I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2021 2:27 AM

R72 - Basically this: "In the more recently settled arbitration, MRC said Spacey’s behavior was a violation of the studio’s policy barring sexual harassment and that ultimately cost it millions of dollars."

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2021 2:35 AM

The word “judgment” does not include two “E’s.” I know this will come as a shock to several posters in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2021 2:37 PM

Cunt Spinster Aunt at R74: can you read? Rapp himself says it so I don't need to be in the goddam room. So many gay enemies on this site these days, sadly a lot of them gay themselves.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2021 5:16 PM

WTF is r74 doing here on a gay site? Begone Nonna.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2021 6:54 AM

R77 and R78 never get tired of sucking Kevin Spacey's asshole. I wonder if they're on his payroll? Or maybe they just lust after his shriveled pecker. Probably the latter, poor bastards.

by Anonymousreply 79December 11, 2021 5:46 AM

[quote] Rapp himself says it so I don't need to be in the goddam room.

Here's what Rapp said you stupid fuckhead:

“My memory was that I thought, Oh, everybody's gone. Well, yeah, I should probably go home,” Rapp said. Spacey, he recalled, “sort of stood in the doorway, kind of swaying. My impression when he came in the room was that he was drunk.” Rapp doesn't remember Spacey saying anything to him. Instead, Rapp said, “He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don't, like, squirm away initially, because I'm like, 'What's going on?' And then he lays down on top of me.”

“He was trying to seduce me,” Rapp said. “I don't know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.”

Rapp recalled this all happening — Spacey appearing at the door, coming into the room, picking him up, and putting him on the bed — in one clumsy action, with Spacey landing at a slight angle on top of him. He said Spacey “was, like, pressing into me,” and that he remembers Spacey “tightening his arms.” But while he can't recall exactly how long Spacey remained on top of him, Rapp said he was able to “squirm” away after a short period. After pushing Spacey off him, Rapp remembered he was able to step into the bathroom and close the door. "I was like, 'What is happening?'” he said. “I saw on the counter next to the sink a picture of him having his arm around a man. So I think on some level I was like, Oh. He's gay. I guess. Then I opened the door, and I was like, 'OK, I'm going to go home now.' He followed me to the front door of the apartment, and as I opened the door to leave, he was leaning on the front door[frame]. And he was like, 'Are you sure you wanna go?' I said, 'Yes, good night,' and then I did leave."

As he walked home, “My head was spinning,” Rapp said. “I have a memory of turning around and [thinking], What was that? What am I supposed to do with it? What does it mean?”

He paused. "The older I get, and the more I know, I feel very fortunate that something worse didn't happen," he said. "And at the same time, the older I get, the more I can't believe it. I could never imagine [that] anyone else I know would do something like that to a 14-year-old boy."

by Anonymousreply 80December 11, 2021 5:53 AM

cases like this are more about establishing fault than the number. At this point, MRC will probably accept a giant payout that is not $31 million.

Spacey almost definitely has the money. It might be 60% of his net worth. The problem for him is that 1) he's got nobody to push MRC to settle for less, which is what his agents would do. But they're gone, they dumped him. so they wont be doing MRC favors for settling. 2) He won't be earning more money in the future. He will continue to earn far less than what he spends to live.

by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2021 7:32 AM

Anthony Rapp was a CNN unbutton fugly ginger. I don’t believe Spacey was ever “trying to get with him sexually”. It is interesting that he describes the incident very differently in his court testimony than he does at r80.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2021 4:20 PM

Rapp's "assault" did not remotely merit ruining another man's career, especially; years later. Sorry but I have seen so many gay men use sexual accusations to fuck up another gay man -- in the workplace, the frat house, all over and it's sickening. I can't believe any gay man would feel differently. Wait until it's you,

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2021 9:06 PM

(R83)It wasn’t just him, it was many men. There was multiple cases on House of Cards. And the Usual Suspects was shut down because of one. There was also a few at the theater in London he was running. You don’t get thrown out of Hollywood because of just one. Takes years and many victims, dum ass.

by Anonymousreply 84December 12, 2021 11:09 PM

As Dusty once sang... "Nothing has been proved." Not even close.

Quit bashing your own people, you pearl clutching cunt.

by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2021 4:13 AM

(R85) Thanks for joining us, Bryan Singer.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2021 3:10 PM

Spacey went down because his behavior was well known in the business. Ironically, it was the business of streaming (which Spacey championed) that ended the culture of silence because the paychecks in Hollywood aren't as big as they used to be. So there's far less to potentially lose if you make an accusation.

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2021 1:48 AM

r87 Not accurate at all. The problem before was that media wouldn't cover this stuff because they feared getting blackballed from celebrity interviews. And not just the actor in question but all of the same PR company's clients. And when the media did report, a "no comment" resulted in a dead story. There was nothing to follow up with so you got a 1 day story, which really wasnt worth it. Plus, much of the behavior in question just wasn't seen as illegal or a fireable offense 15 years ago. (yes, rape was always seen as illegal).

Today, the media can wait until the accusations pile up before they report and by the time they do, its often a legitimate news story.

by Anonymousreply 88December 16, 2021 6:08 AM

For MRC to be held accountable for looking the other way, thereby condoning Spacey’s behavior, wouldn’t Spacey have to admit to the behavior MRC would have been turning a blind eye to?

by Anonymousreply 89December 16, 2021 7:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!