Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moonlight and Valentino: worst 90’s movie ever?

I wonder what went on behind the scenes!? What a delightful travesty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 2:52 PM

I can think of worse Goop movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2021 6:44 AM

Wow thanks R1! Have seriously never heard of this one and can’t wait to watch

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2021 12:11 AM

Jon Bon Jovi at last minute refused to do the press junket. Just FYI. I actually didn't think it was THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2021 12:17 AM

I always hated the title, ‘Moonlight and Valentino’.

There were a lot of movies from the late 80s - late 90s with cloying titles that I always heard or read about but never saw.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2021 12:18 AM

Oooh, Jeremy Sisto and Peter Coyote?

Maybe I’ll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2021 12:19 AM

It was corny AF. One of Whoopi’s worst performances.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2021 12:21 AM

I have some minor dirt since I used to work with the German female director who was originally set to direct. She told me she was driving as the start date was getting closer and thought 'If I run into this tree, I won't have to direct this". And bailed the next day wisely. Ellen Simon didn't sound like much fun and she was an unproduced writer with a famous father.

Best story: my friend told me how Whoopi addressed the guy who took over. "Here's how I work. I do it my own way. You tell me something, I listen... and then do it my own way again. Got it?" We both laughed and she added, "Director's Paradise." No wonder Whoopi became a Hollywood Square.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2021 12:25 AM

In fairness, it was made when Paltrow was hip and cool.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2021 12:26 AM

I've seen worse. I love the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2021 12:30 AM

R4 IF LUCY FELL, UNHOOK THE STARS, and RICH IN LOVE are other '90s film titles I found cloying. It was usually independent movies that had such titles.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2021 3:22 AM

R7 is that the German director who took a dislike to 80s starlet Meredith Salenger in another post? What was that about what movie would they have met for?

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2021 4:42 AM

Like Water for Chocolate is another cloying title from the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2021 4:59 AM

What about “a walk in the clouds” - super cloying!

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2021 5:13 AM

"Moonlight and Valentino" was originally slated to be a Broadway play.

Can you imagine? I mean can you just imagine?

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2021 5:39 AM

I found the discussion of cloying 90s movie titles amusing so I googled 90s independent movies to see if I could find some more.

I didn’t, but what I did find were plentiful reminders that there were some great fucking movies made in the 90s, especially the independents:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2021 5:49 AM

R2 have fun!

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 2:19 PM

You mean Jon Bon Jovi didn't win an Oscar? The horror. He was awful in that movie. Hush is hilariously campy and disturbing at the same time (the horse pill scene). It was nice to see Paltrow with her hair momentarily out of place.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2021 2:34 PM

The '90s had Striptease and Speed 2

And there was the Stallone trifecta:, Judge Dredd, Stop or My Mom Will Shoot and Assassins

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2021 2:50 PM

The house looks nice and comforting. Other than that? Lol....

In fairness to the cast, they are working with worse-than-soap-opera material and most of them come out unscathed. Whoopi is phoning it in but still such a natural, Paltrow here still has that dewy young glow (it seems so far away now), and despite both playing unlikeable, really quite shrewish characters, Turner and Perkins are fine. JBJ doesn't have much to do but looks hot in this.

I used to always get the VHS cover confused with Boys on the Side for some reason (probably the Whoopi connection and both being female-centric movies). But I watched that recently and was blown away by how surprisingly good it was (I was expecting another sapfest like this). You can really see how much more effort actors put in when the material is actually decent.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2021 2:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!