Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Manhattan Lovers —

If you're a Manhattan drinker, do you prefer rye or bourbon?

What brand?

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2021 6:20 PM

WhistlePig 10 year rye, Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth, cherry bitters, Luxardo Maraschino cherries

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2021 4:06 AM

Any bourbon not from Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2021 5:29 AM

Rye is too expensive and just adds a needless hurdle to the drink's sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2021 5:47 AM

I thought bourbon by definition had to be from Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2021 5:50 AM

I picked a bottle of Montenegro tonight which I've heard might be good added to a Manhattan? Had it as an after dinner drink in a old school Italian restaurant last week. Going to offer it after Thanksgiving dinner.

My late aunt was fan of a perfect Manhattan so we all drank that at the repast.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2021 6:00 AM

OP, some people drink brandy manhattans.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2021 6:04 AM

Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve. LATELY I've been enjoying a MM Private Select Oak Stave batch known as "The Ghost-1" at 108.7 Proof, a wee bit goes a long way. I like one or two Amarena di Fabri wild cherries, or Woodford's Cherry bitters.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2021 6:11 AM

^Noilly Prat or Dolin Rouge for the Vermouth

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2021 6:16 AM

I served Manhattans last Friday night with Bulleit Bourbon, Dolin Rouge Sweet Vermouth, 1 dash of Angostura Bitter, 2 dashes of orange bitters, and a Luxardo Cherry. Stirred and served in a chilled Nick & Nora glass. It was actually delicious. I set out that morning to get Woodford Reserve Bourbon but the store I went to was out. I liked the Bulleit just fine.

Ordinarily I make them at home (when I don't have company) with one of the "Olds"—Old Forester Bourbon, Old Overholt Rye, or Old Grand-Dad Bourbon.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2021 1:12 PM

R6 Please tell us how you like to make yours.. I hear they're quite the thing in Wisconsin Supper Clubs. I've never had one, but I love a good Brandy.

Greg, I haven't tried Bulleit yet, how would you describe it, or what would you compare it to?

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2021 7:34 AM

Rye is the proper ingredient. I once bought Old Overholt just cause of pricing and I was kind of laughing at myself for buying a weird off brand but I was also watching Boardwalk Empire at the time and Nucky bought an Old Overholt distillery for his bootleggin' purposes. I then felt very cool for having purchased a brand so olde timey and as seen on tee vee.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2021 8:48 AM

I prefer rye Manhattans, as well. Bulleit rye in a 1.75L is a very good value. Although WhistlePig is my favorite, Bulleit, Sazerac, Dad's Hat and Few are quite good and more moderately priced.

I like trying Manhattans with all types of whiskeys, including Scotch (in which case it's a Rob Roy and not a Manhattan). Johnnie Walker Double Black makes an intense, smoky RR.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] Greg, I haven't tried Bulleit yet, how would you describe it, or what would you compare it to?

Hello, R7/R9/R10!

I can't quite describe it except to say it tasted incredibly balanced and smooth. As I said, I have gotten used to using Old Overholt at home for myself and my partner, so this tasted really nice. The sweetness wasn't overpowering (it was Bulleit bourbon not rye). I will definitely use it again, specifically for my Thanksgiving preprandials when friends come over this Friday.

I went to Eataly yesterday to pick up some last minute things and they were out of Luxardo cherries, so I purchased a jar of Amarena di Fabri wild cherries. I'm glad to hear you like them and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Do you use a cocktail pick or do you just drop it in the glass? If I had a smaller group and people were sitting for the cocktail hour, I would definitely use a silver cocktail pick, but I have a dozen people coming and I'm sure they will be milling about, so I don't want to trouble them with a pick that they don't know what to do with or where to place.

"The Ghost-1" at 108.7 Proof sounds dangerous! Okay, I suppose if there's just time for one drink, but I'd hesitate to serve it if people were likely to have one than one. When I had friends over last Friday night (rack of lamb dinner), my friend who brought the wine had three (as did I) Manhattans. He ended up retiring to the guest room before dessert. Luckily they were spending the night and weren't driving.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2021 1:46 PM

I don't drink brandy Manhattans, R10. I like bourbon or rye. I think it's a jigger of brandy, a half jigger of sweet vermouth or Robitussin, and a maraschino cherry, and not the good kind.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2021 8:46 PM

Hi again Greg, you'll find the cherries to be quite nice, but very sweet with a light almond flavour. I don't always put them on a cocktail skewer, sometimes I muddle or crush just one a bit if someone isn't particularly keen on sweet cherries. They're not as firm as other types, so sometimes difficult to skewer them. (I think this depends on the batch you get) I ordered them trying to find sone Morello cherries I've had before, but they were out so I chose these. Now on my second pot!

They're awfully nice with cheesecake as well. I think a small amount would be great in a tart, or other pastry.

I've had another special MM that may have been even higher proof, yes, one drink with the power of two really. (perhaps two and a half if you don't measure accordingly) Funny to hear about your friend... that's what guest rooms are for, right? As a good host, I don't show anyone the door, iwhen guests become too inebriated; they're always welcome to sleep it off. Sounds like you had a swell dinner nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2021 11:47 PM

Thanks, R15! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2021 2:15 PM

R16 Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving too Greg.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2021 9:16 PM

R10/R15, I really like the Amarena di Fabri wild cherries. I may even prefer them to Luxardo, but I love those as well.

I used Woodford Reserve for my gathering last Friday.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2021 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!