Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Joan Crawford try her own television series? So many of her contemporaries did.

Barbara Stanwyck

Bette Davis

Jean Arthur

Loretta Young

Jane Wyman

Judy Garland

Donna Reed

Eve Arden

Lucille Ball

by Anonymousreply 182March 23, 2022 12:59 AM

She didn't need the money.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote] Why didn't Joan Crawford try her own television series?

Because producers were not some of her faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans!

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2021 1:57 AM

She tried, bless her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2021 2:00 AM

One of the movies she made with Diane Baker was a TV pilot. Not Straitjacket.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2021 2:00 AM

Why are you comparing me to other actresses? Why must EVERYTHING be a [italic]contest[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2021 2:02 AM

[Quote] Had the pilot been turned into a television series, Crawford would have most likely made an occasional guest appearance (she's listed as a "Guest Star" in the credits) but leave the primary responsibility to Paul Burke and younger cast members to keep the story moving along.

Sounds like Joanie was smart about her ability to work a TV schedule at her advanced age.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2021 2:03 AM

If you're curious about her pilot, "Della"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2021 2:06 AM

Too DRUNK

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2021 2:08 AM

The mind boggles at the thought of Joan remaining alive into the 1980s when prime time soaps were at their hottest. She would have snapped Stanwyck's neck in order to play Constance Colby.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2021 2:09 AM

Ryan Murphy should do "Trog: Origin Story" as his next mini-series. Miss Dunaway may be available...

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2021 2:11 AM

I wonder if Crawford was bearding for Steele? She was his only marriage, late in life. I just can't imagine them having sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2021 2:12 AM

Joan was better value than Jane Wyman. If she'd been younger and in better health, she'd have made "Falcon Crest" a bigger hit.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2021 2:13 AM

She had another pilot "The Joan Crawford Show," in 1959 according to wikipedia. R9 The Della pilot is basically the pilot for a 1980s primetime soap in the sixties.

Bette Davis tried several times to get a show, as well. Sadly when she finally landed one, Hotel, she had the stroke and had to quit after the pilot only to be replaced by Anne Baxter, in an example of life imitating art.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2021 2:14 AM

OMG! She would have been great as Edith Bunker. Sweet, empathetic and she looked fantastic in a house dress.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2021 2:22 AM

Joan on a Bob Hope TV special, where she does a sketch that will give you an idea of how she would've done on a a sitcom. Go to 11:30 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2021 2:23 AM

Sorry, I meant 11:40 mark.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2021 2:24 AM

Haven't you bitches ever heard of The Secret Storm?

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2021 2:32 AM

R17 Out of respect, Ms. Crawford, we were going to ignore that.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2021 2:35 AM

Because (I think...) she was a C-U-N-T.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2021 2:35 AM

I wonder if Crawford was bearding for Steele? She was his only marriage, late in life. I just can't imagine them having sex.

He was married and had children from a previous marriage. Though I can't picture them having sex either

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2021 2:36 AM

There's no video of Joan's turn in The Secret Storm. Just a few photos and audio boots.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2021 2:37 AM

R21 Which is crazy. I know soaps were regularly wiped back then, but there are the odd kinescopes of soaps from back then. I can't believe that NO ONE managed to save a copy of something that surreal, if for nothing else than to pass around in the industry and laugh at? I wonder if William Paley or someone equally powerful made sure they were destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2021 2:41 AM

They didn't save the Merman Granny Get Your Gun either.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2021 2:44 AM

R23 That is a travesty, but it was video taped. While it is missing and presumed lost, there is still the possibility that a version exists somewhere in the world. The world should be able to witness Merman's Annie. They also should've done a recording of the Reba one. Probably the two best Annie Oakleys in the history of Broadway and we only have audio of Merman's take on the role and fragmentary evidence of Reba's.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2021 2:50 AM

We have an idea of the Merman Granny performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2021 2:55 AM

R25 That was about a decade after her last Broadway run in AGYG and say what you will the old broad could still belt better than anyone.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2021 3:02 AM

"A decade" after, R26? Try THREE decades.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2021 3:08 AM

R27 The performance that was taped and is missing was from her 1966 run. R25's clip was from 1975.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2021 3:14 AM

I have questions about the Bob Hope skit.

1) It's the last round of because she has "run out of mayonnaise" - the last round of cards? the last round of popcorn? They put mayonnaise on popcorn?

2) Where can I get that enormous candelabra applique in resin, on Joan and Bob's wall?

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2021 3:15 AM

Joan would've been great in "Flamingo Road."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2021 3:20 AM

When she did a guest starring role on Lucy's show in the late 1960's she seemed to be incoherent and high on booze. Lucy was so fed up with her that she wanted her replaced. But Joan pulled herself together and gave a very good performance at the last moment.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2021 3:20 AM

Because she was Box Office Poison.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2021 3:21 AM

Who's the lady in pink beside Morgan Fairchild?

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2021 3:22 AM

R33, Barbara Rush

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2021 3:23 AM

Imagine Joan on "Paper Dolls" as Racine, the head of the agency, smacking around all those teen models.

[italic]Racine's been in more beds than a hotel breakfast tray...[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2021 3:24 AM

Joan would've picked up where she left off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2021 3:26 AM

Joan would be a great host for a competition show like Hollywood's Next Top Starlet. Or Young Homemaker of the Year. So completely phony and piss elegant and unctuous.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2021 3:26 AM

With her mania for cleaning, they should have cast her as Alice on The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2021 3:26 AM

They could have written a part for her on Peyton Place.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2021 3:28 AM

Although the full performance of Ethel's 1966 Annie appears to be long gone, they company did "I've Got the Sun in the Morning..." on the Sullivan show and it's on youtube in color. There's also some home recorded audio there from the full 1966 version. And there's this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2021 3:28 AM

CBS should've built a primetime soap centering on her "The Best of Everything" character, Amanda Farrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote]r23 They didn't save the Merman Granny Get Your Gun either.

[quote]r24 That is a travesty

Write your senator NOW!

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2021 3:31 AM

Years ago it was hotly debated on the Datalounge whether Crawford would have appeared on "The Love Boat" given the chance. There even were some scenarios. "Autumn Love at Sea" was the one I remember.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2021 3:35 AM

If they had only let her do "Our Miss Chadwick".

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2021 3:35 AM

Joan on TV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2021 3:38 AM

There was a lot of video that wasn’t saved. Johnny Carson was pissed when he found out they didn’t save the first year of The Tonight Show.

Thankfully Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz spent the money to have I Love Lucy filmed. You look at some of those 1950s kinescopes and thank the comedy gods that the chocolate factory and Vitavetavegamin are in pristine condition.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2021 3:38 AM

And...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2021 3:38 AM

“And One was Loyal”

Ironic.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2021 3:39 AM

^^ or is the word “apt”?

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2021 3:39 AM

Carson found out the first several years, not just first year, of his shows hadn't been preserved and he thereafter had it written into his contract that it would be and he would get a personal copy of every show.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2021 3:41 AM

[quote]When she did a guest starring role on Lucy's show in the late 1960's she seemed to be incoherent and high on booze. Lucy was so fed up with her that she wanted her replaced. But Joan pulled herself together and gave a very good performance at the last moment.

Well, in Joan's defense Lucy was a real bitch during rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2021 3:43 AM

R41 Funny that ABC adapted it into a daytime soap, after her run on The Secret Storm. I wonder if anyone considered calling her. ABC did have Dark Shadows on the schedule at the time starring Joan Bennett, who had earned one of the very rare soap Emmy nominations, prior to the Daytime Emmys. They had to figure she'd get one just because of her name.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2021 3:44 AM

The exterior set of that Crawford/Zane Grey episode is the original Tara set from Gone With the Wind. It was finally torn down not long after the episode was shot.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2021 3:45 AM

Thanks, r34. She got to climb Jeffrey Hunter. Lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2021 3:49 AM

R53 it was dismantled and sent to GA, where it has languished in a barn owned by the ex-wife of Senator/Gov. Talmadge. She has died but it is still in the barn. I'm surprised because for years I thought it was the house in The Big Valley, they really look an awful lot alike.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2021 3:52 AM

Crawford's "acting" in Della seems mostly about looking vacantly around her. They must have troweled on the make-up and done that wiring stiff to tie back the wrinkles. At least she didn't wear linebacker shoulder pads. In that Bob Hope Show she has that Groucho Marx as Joan Crawford look that Dunaway had in "Mommie Dearest".

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2021 3:53 AM

[quote] At least she didn't wear linebacker shoulder pads.

Lucille didn't need them!

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2021 3:56 AM

R55, wasn't the front door from the Tara set installed somewhere in Atlanta? A department store or a public building? I'm too tired to search.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2021 4:00 AM

Yes, she allowed it to be removed and restored it is at the Road to Tara Museum.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2021 4:05 AM

She could have done one of those Victoria Barkley/Barbara Stanwyck, Angela Channing/Jane Wyman, or Miss Ellie/Barbara Bel Geddes type roles. But she may have been too addicted to - um - Pepsi to do a regular TV series.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2021 4:12 AM

She would have been great as Jessica Fletcher.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2021 4:15 AM

Thank you so much for your concern, my dear, dear fans...

But during that time I was so happily married to my husband Alfred Steele, President of PepsiCo International

and so very busy providing a happy, stable home for my family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2021 4:17 AM

Joan Crawford as Miss Marple?

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2021 4:18 AM

Box office poison!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2021 4:20 AM

Joan's marriage to Al Steele lasted all of 3 years and 11 months. And she was broke when he died.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2021 4:21 AM

[quote] She would have been great as Jessica Fletcher.

No she wouldn't have been. She didn't have any warmth.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote]1) It's the last round of because she has "run out of mayonnaise" - the last round of cards? the last round of popcorn? They put mayonnaise on popcorn?

It's a reference to her lady mayo, which she squirted all over her ham sandwich!

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2021 4:32 AM

R66 She would've been perfect for the fan theory that Jessica Fletcher is really a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2021 4:35 AM

Mildred Pierce had no warmth?!

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2021 4:51 AM

She would've been great as sex-hungry Mrs. Roper on Three's Company. She would've been better than Audra Lindley, and she and Normal Fell would've had terrific chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2021 6:19 AM

^^^She would have been hitting on Jack, Janet AND Chrissie.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2021 6:22 AM

She would have been hitting Jack, Janet AND Chrissie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2021 6:27 AM

R46, I Love Lucy was FILM, not Kinescopes

[quote]She would have snapped Stanwyck's neck in order to play Constance Colby

Joanie and Stany were close friends, Joan would never do that...but she was not above begging Barbara to get her on the show. Perhaps she could have taken over the matriarch role after Stanwyck left (she thought The Colbys was a piece of shit).

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2021 1:22 PM

Sorry, R46, I misread your post.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote] [R46], I Love Lucy was FILM, not Kinescopes

That was the point I was making.

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2021 1:26 PM

R75 see R74

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2021 1:27 PM

Joan would have been great on BJ & the Bear. Lady truck driver on the roads of America riding with a chimp and bedding a different woman at every stop.

by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2021 1:30 PM

R29 Also wondered about the mayonnaise and loved the candelabra. .

by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]Joan's marriage to Al Steele lasted all of 3 years and 11 months. And she was broke when he died.

And after Mr. Steele's sudden death, I became the International Brand Ambassador, traveling the world on behalf of PepsiCo International.

It was exhausting, of course, but I felt I had to continue my husband's work.

by Anonymousreply 79November 20, 2021 2:32 PM

Joan off camera:

Lottie there is a cunt in this room.

Will you please come and show it out!

by Anonymousreply 80November 20, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote]Joan would have been great on BJ & the Bear.

She would have been confused by the title.

by Anonymousreply 81November 20, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]She would have been confused by the title.

Dear Producers:

While my work with PepsiCo International prevents me from accepting your offer at this time.

My dear friend Bette Davis is quite good at this type of thing and is apparently desperate for work.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2021 2:49 PM

She would've been great on 3's Company.

"Dammit, the Regal Beagle is MY place!"

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Unlike Davis, she minded losing marquee status, so she would have been unlikely to have played a grandmother of a major character unless it was a Very Special Episode where she could star.

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2021 3:12 PM

R79: She had overspent on their new apartment, she had to do something to make money.

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2021 3:14 PM

More info on Alfred Steele. Apparently Joan was his third wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2021 3:52 PM

Al Steele was a graduate of Northwestern University.

by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2021 4:18 PM

I do believe that Joan loved Al.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 20, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote]I do believe that Joan loved Al.

Why of course Mr. Steele and I adored each other.

And why not?

I was a very sensual woman, who needed a man for myself, and my young children needed a father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2021 12:32 AM

[quote] I do believe that Joan loved Al.

I fully believe that, as well. Love takes many forms. I'm sure she loved how he worshiped and adored her. But, I think she loved how he finally gave her real status. She had money and fame on her own, but he gave her status in the business and financial high society that really means something. A kid like her growing up in poverty at that time would have dreamt of becoming a movie star to gain a fortune, then bag a president of a company to really gain status and security. I'm sure she felt like she had finally gotten her Prince.

Did she lust after him, possibly, but I suspect not.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2021 12:55 AM

I loved him and I slapped him!

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2021 1:12 AM

We know, Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2021 2:33 AM

I love that scene, R92. Joan at her very best!

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2021 2:37 AM

I'm certain Joan seduced Jack Carson. I think most actors he worked with were very fond of him.

He and Joan have great chemistry in "Mildred Pierce".

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2021 5:48 AM

To address OP, most of these women had very mixed experiences on series tv.....

Barbara Stanwyck---failed anthology series, then The Big Valley and then prime time soap opera that even she wanted to forget Bette Davis---a pilot as bad as Joan's and when she finally got a series, she had a stroke and had to leave the show Jean Arthur---One 13 week series and then she returned to more or less seclusion Loretta Young---A big success followed by a big, forgotten failure Jane Wyman---Always being confused with Jane Wyatt, but two successful shows Judy Garland---Her variety show didn't last a season and was a disaster start to finish Donna Reed---Iconic sitcom which she ultimately came to hate; had trouble restarting her career--miscast and mistreated on Dallas; did tv roles with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr which must have been misery by itself Eve Arden---Iconic sitcom that moved from radio, then a failed series in the late 50s and the execrable "Mothers in Law" for two seasons; at least she had the occasional guest role and reprised her school teacher character in "Grease". Lucille Ball---four series, three were successful, all were laden with endlessly recycled schtick

The moral......big stars often have regrets or little success on the small screens and often don't leave it with their reputations intact. Joan's later roles like Trog did enough to tarnish her reputation. She didn't need tv.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2021 1:08 PM

Better formatting

To address OP, most of these women had very mixed experiences on series tv.....

Barbara Stanwyck---failed anthology series, then The Big Valley and then prime time soap opera that even she wanted to forget

Bette Davis---a pilot as bad as Joan's and when she finally got a series, she had a stroke and had to leave the show

Jean Arthur---One 13 week series and then she returned to more or less seclusion Loretta Young---A big success followed by a big, forgotten failure

Jane Wyman---Always being confused with Jane Wyatt, but two successful shows Judy Garland---Her variety show didn't last a season and was a disaster start to finish

Donna Reed---Iconic sitcom which she ultimately came to hate; had trouble restarting her career--miscast and mistreated on Dallas; did tv roles with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr which must have been misery by itself

Eve Arden---Iconic sitcom that moved from radio, then a failed series in the late 50s and the execrable "Mothers in Law" for two seasons; at least she had the occasional guest role and reprised her school teacher character in "Grease".

Lucille Ball---four series, three were successful, all were laden with endlessly recycled schtick

The moral......big stars often have regrets or little success on the small screens and often don't leave it with their reputations intact. Joan's later roles like Trog did enough to tarnish her reputation. She didn't need tv.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2021 1:09 PM

Anyone catch the gay joke in #15's clip (at the 12:55 mark)? Joan is not amused.

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2021 3:00 PM

Bette was at a point where she would take just about anything offered. I'm surprised she didn't end up on a daytime soap opera.

If Joan had lived she would have probably been on one of the nighttime shows, like Dallas or Falcon's Landing or something. I actually like the pilot to Della.

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2021 3:02 PM

Ann Sothern - Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show

Ann Sheridan - Pistols 'n' Petticoats

Joan Bennett - Too Young to Go Steady, Dark Shadows

Ida Lupino - Mr. Adams and Eve

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2021 3:03 PM

She might have seen TV work as a drop in status. The films she made at the end of her life were total shit, but they were not TV.

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2021 3:09 PM

R99: You're forgetting Ann Sothern in "My Mother the Car", one of the worst shows ever. Her other two shows were basically the same series, with a lot of the same cast members.

Ann Sheridan's show was not a hit and she died during its run.

Lupino's show lasted for part of one season. She had more success as a tv director and by some reports, she preferred being behind the camera, although she did a lot of tv guest shots.

More proof that success eluded or was tarnished for most film actresses in tv. Joan might have left us more camp but there is a good chance that she would have been set up for ridicule in tv.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2021 3:15 PM

R100: She was willing to make a glossy but disappointing pilot and act in a soap, as well as guest with Lucy. It couldn't have been that much of a comedown.

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote] Bette was at a point where she would take just about anything offered. I'm surprised she didn't end up on a daytime soap opera.

She had already done a weekly radio soap, Whispering Streets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2021 3:22 PM

In case you newcomers don't know, Jack Carson is a long standing DL heartthrob. I don't get it, but he is.

I love Stanwyck's 1960-61 two season anthology series. It needed to be an hour so the stories could be fleshed out more, they usually simplified and rushed the ending. But it's Stanwyck, and I love anything Stanwyck. Unfortunately, The Big Valley is dreck and unwatchable imho.

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2021 3:36 PM

Would Angie have hired Joan for Murder, She Wrote?

by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2021 3:42 PM

R105: Angie was a B-level contractee at MGM. I doubt that they ever travelled in the same circles. Donna Reed, another MGM B-type had former MGM cronies on her show but never true A-listers (unless you count Esther Williams as one, and I don't). Plus Joan was dead by the time of MSW and long out of the public eye in the years before her demise.

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2021 3:59 PM

Joan Crawford was a Movie Star. She probably wasn't as enthusiastic about doing television as some of the other female Stars from her film generation.

I've always thought television is a step down for film Stars who had huge careers on the silver screen. Television takes up a lot of time, while a film is shot in just a few weeks or two months etc.

I think one of the great things about being a film Star is. You work for a limited amount of time & you collect a generous salary & then you can go back to living your jet setting life and carry on with your social life etc. I'd never want to go from film Stardom to television. Television is way to confining in my opinion.

But then, television is a better schedule for some people. Especially if they're married and have children. I guess the same could be said for film Stars too. But some people are just natural born film Stars and just belong on the silver screen.

Joan Crawford was one of those people who belonged on the silver screen.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2021 4:15 PM

Jack Carson had a nice body under all those baggy suits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2021 4:22 PM

Imagine Joan in a bad wig with a bad British accent as Alexis’ aunt on Dynasty. Joan Collins and John Forsythe would have despised her.

Or if she played Mrs.Garrett on Facts of Life. She would slap the shit out of Tootie and Blair when they acted up.

by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote]the original Tara set from Gone With the Wind. It was finally torn down not long after the episode was shot.

Tara was disassembled in roughly 1959 by Lucy and Desi.

[quote]The most durable portions were salvaged, including windows, shutters, doors, porch posts and railings, cornice, and other elements. “Tara” was removed at no expense to the studio by Southern Attractions, Inc., presided by Julian M. Foster, an Atlanta-based real estate developer who had envisioned the set to be reconstructed on 300 acres of forested land in Northern Georgia, recreating the Hollywood “Tara” plantation in its entirety. Foster’s vision never came to fruition due to complications arising from copyright protections by the Margaret Mitchell family.

A little more history and photographs at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2021 4:33 PM

All of Helen Lawson's shows failed but her series of annual Christmas variety specials are legendary.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2021 4:48 PM

<- many of the famous GWTW scenes were actually a clever use of matte paintings on glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2021 4:49 PM

[quote]Eve Arden---Iconic sitcom that moved from radio, then a failed series in the late 50s

I wasn't aware Our Miss Brooks was a flop, r96.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2021 5:17 PM

^Never mind, r96, I didn't know she had a second '50s series. What was it?

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote]I doubt that they ever travelled in the same circles.

What are you talking about? The bitch worked on my hair!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2021 5:40 PM

“My Way of Life”, the first of its kind reality show detailing the daily life and adventures of the Ultimate Movie Star, Miss Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]Joan Crawford was a Movie Star. She probably wasn't as enthusiastic about doing television...

Joan Crawford was delusional. If she wanted to work, if she was sober enough to work, there was ONLY television.

by Anonymousreply 117November 21, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]Joan Crawford was delusional.

There will be none of that on this thread R117.

by Anonymousreply 118November 21, 2021 5:45 PM

R56, I'm watching Della on youtube. She's in a scene in a living room with a younger guy. The difference between their closeups is cracking me up. When the guy has a closeup it's crystal clear. When it switches to her it gets all hazy, as though they're filming through smoke. Even with all the makeup they practically had to put vaseline on the screen for her.

by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2021 6:04 PM

She made at least a movie per year in the 50s, plus she was married and living in New York. Why would she want the grind of a series?

Though she did do several guest-starring roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2021 6:21 PM

R119, I mentioned that same phenomenon in the "Strait-Jacket" thread. Every close-up of Joan was hazy. It was distracting.

by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2021 6:28 PM

She could've had a daytime talk show like Virginia Graham or Dinah. Cooking tips, housekeeping tips, and of course, parenting skills!

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2021 7:54 PM

Yeah R121, it's so obvious it looks like she's in a different dimension. After a certain point I bet she had it in her contracts that all her close-ups had to be soft focus.

by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2021 7:55 PM

Did Joan get along with Miriam Hopkins?

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2021 8:14 PM

When would they have had any interaction, r124?

by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2021 8:18 PM

Someone said Crawford was broke.

Not true at all. Joan left behind a $2 million dollar estate in 1977. And she left the twins nearly $100K a peice.

That's not a broke person. I bet Joan was frugal with her money for the most part. Especially since she came from adject poverty. Having a film career in Hollywood gave her financial security and stabilized her in life. A doubt if she'd fuck up her finances after coming from the childhood she came from.

Joan downsized in later years, which is the smart thing to do. Especially if you're not going to be working any longer. But she still had a comfortable apartment, befitting someone who was formally a major film Star.

So no! Joan Crawford was not broke after walking away from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 126November 21, 2021 8:19 PM

[quote] But Joan pulled herself together and gave a very good performance at the last moment.

Joan was visibly drunk on the show. She was slurring.

by Anonymousreply 127November 21, 2021 8:39 PM

[quote]she came from adject poverty

Oh, dear. "Adject," ironically, is not an adjectIVE.

by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2021 8:41 PM

I know, r127, hardly "a very good performance".

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2021 8:42 PM

Some of you have little knowledge of old movies, it seems. The soft focus close up on a female star was a common occurence, and not just on old women.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]Someone said Crawford was broke. Not true at all. Joan left behind a $2 million dollar estate in 1977

Joan was broke as in not liquid. You can't eat real estate for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2021 8:44 PM

R130 So Stars were allowed to bring their own personal Vanity on into a film scene?

Dosen't that defeat the purpose of losing yourself to the character in a film?

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2021 8:46 PM

R131 She had some cash. She left her daughters some money. She also had assets too.

That's not broke.

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2021 8:47 PM

R130, in old movies, including Joan's, the film grain and focus on the leading ladies matched the others in the scene, so there was a seamless continuity in the quality. In Joan's later movies, the close-ups absolutely do not match in focus and film stock. They are grainy and so soft focused that it is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2021 8:51 PM

Joan and Al Steele lived in the penthouse at 2 E. 70th St. which is on 5th Ave. You can imagine how much that must've cost. No wonder she had money troubles after he died. She eventually moved out to a smaller apartment several blocks away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2021 8:54 PM

[quote]Bette was at a point where she would take just about anything offered. I'm surprised she didn't end up on a daytime soap opera.

Bette Davis supported her leeching family for nearly her entire life. She was always broke because they were all completely financially dependent on her.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2021 8:56 PM

Star Trek used soft focus close ups all the time on the glamorous guest stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 21, 2021 9:01 PM

Margaret could relate, r136.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 21, 2021 9:02 PM

That was on Bette.

by Anonymousreply 139November 21, 2021 9:37 PM

Who said it wasn't?

by Anonymousreply 140November 21, 2021 10:02 PM

R134 exactly in some of Joan’s later films it looks like she filmed her closeups underwater while everyone else was on dry land. Match it for everyone in the scene or forget it.

by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2021 11:31 PM

Silly boys.

by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2021 11:41 PM

Joan would've wiped the floor with Lana. Lana was purely a Hollywood concoction, totally fake and artificial. Joan was too to an extent, but she could act. Lana was just so bad she's good in most of her films. Having said that, I thought she gave her best performance in her supporting role in "Peyton Place." She's actually quite in some of her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2021 11:50 PM

R143 - that's a very good put-down - "She's actually quite in some of her scenes".

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2021 11:52 PM

Joan also used every lighting trick in the book to hide her aging appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 21, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote]Joan was broke as in not liquid. You can't eat real estate for breakfast.

Most of Joan's assets were liquid. Vodka, gin, bourbon, scotch -- all liquid.

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2021 11:59 PM

I love Joan Crawford for many reasons. She came from nothing and used what skills she had to make it to the top. She created a character and she played that character to the very end. She liked the booze, she liked the boys and she liked being a star. She was flawed and had her demons, how could you not with her background, but when the camera came on she was all star.

by Anonymousreply 147November 22, 2021 12:11 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 22, 2021 12:28 AM

The rumors about Joan and Lucy have been around for decades but Jeanette MacDonald? Wow, never heard that.

The article says that Desi Arnaz was another of Adler's clients. Just how did Lucy and Desi rerally meet?

by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2021 12:42 AM

I thought Lucy was common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2021 12:47 AM

Too Many Girls, r149.

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2021 12:49 AM

The Polly Adler story should be the next HBO series. I'd watch the hell of that.

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2021 12:52 AM

Lucy was actually rumored to have work as a prostitute in NYC when she was a supposedly a "model" for Hattie Carnegie

Lucy told friends that she would be invited to dinners during the Depression where she and other young models would find cash payments under their dinner plates

And then there was the mysterious story of Lucy being injured in an accident and losing the ability to walk for a while. But she went home to Jamestown where she was miraculously cured.

Some people interpreted this story as Lucy developing sepsis from a botched abortion.

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2021 12:56 AM

That why a lot of those gals had trouble conceiving. It took Lucy a long time and many tries. It never happened for Joan. It was all those half-assed abortions.

by Anonymousreply 154November 22, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote]she and other young models would find cash payments under their dinner plates

If the women found cash under their dinner plates, it meant they had been selected by a customer for the evening.

by Anonymousreply 155November 22, 2021 12:59 AM

Working for the studios, even MGM, was prostitution

Women under contract slept with the men the studio told them to sleep with

They even married the men the studio told them to marry

Lucy herself said you went to the parties the studio told you to go to

and you went home when the studio rep told you to go home

by Anonymousreply 156November 22, 2021 1:06 AM

She also had a long running affair with Pandro Berman (head of RKO) when she was an RKO contract player.

by Anonymousreply 157November 22, 2021 1:08 AM

Polly Adler wrote an autobiography in the early 1950s, A House Is Not a Home. It was filmed 10 years later with Shelley Winters as Adler and a young Racquel Welch as one of her girls. You know that the book and film must have been highly sanitized accounts during those years. This new book sounds really trashy, just the way I like them.

by Anonymousreply 158November 22, 2021 1:08 AM

Lucy was old to have gotten Rheumatic fever, that disease usually happens between 5-14, though wikipedia claims 20% of people first develop it as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 159November 22, 2021 1:09 AM

There were different versions of the source of Lucy's mysterious illness.

It was sometimes reported that she was in a car accident, and that her mother DeeDee applied hot compresses and miraculously cured Lucy's paralysis.

by Anonymousreply 160November 22, 2021 1:58 AM

Shelley knew how to pick 'em...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161November 22, 2021 2:05 AM

R73: Neither Stanwyck nor Crawford hadmany really close friends, let alone were close to each other. Crawford was basically a recluse at the end. Both were estranged from children. Stanwyck was never a contract player--she was independent in a way that Crawford never was. The wiki entry that asserts their friendship makes no sense given other information about either one of them.

by Anonymousreply 162November 22, 2021 3:55 AM

Listen to the first few episodes of TCM's current "Lucy" podcast for coverage of her wicked ways.

by Anonymousreply 163November 22, 2021 4:01 AM

Stanwyck was also reclusive.

by Anonymousreply 164November 22, 2021 4:16 AM

Did they both like bread pudding?

by Anonymousreply 165November 22, 2021 4:23 AM

r162...the Eder tapes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 22, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote]R126 The wiki entry that asserts their friendship makes no sense given other information about either one of them.

Um, they were neighbors. Barb would regularly escape to Joan’s house when beaten by her husband Frank Fay.

That prolly when the lickin’ an lappin’ started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 22, 2021 6:37 PM

That was in the 30s. It didn't mean they were close in the 60s or 70s. If she was close to Joan, she probably would have gotten her on her anthology show or The Big Valley.

by Anonymousreply 168November 22, 2021 7:32 PM

They were friends, r168, not bosom buddies.

by Anonymousreply 169November 22, 2021 8:42 PM

If I didn't know any better, I would think this was a gay couple and a lesbian couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2021 8:51 PM

Ruby during her FOLLIES days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2021 9:00 PM

Ruby Stevens and Lucille LeSueur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 22, 2021 10:56 PM

It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.

When other friendships are soon forgot, ours will still be hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 22, 2021 11:00 PM

"Keeping Up With Joan Crawford."

by Anonymousreply 174November 27, 2021 2:18 PM

She didn’t do TV because she was A MOVIE STAH!

by Anonymousreply 175November 27, 2021 3:50 PM

Joan spent all her free time being a warm and loving mother.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the accusations of that fat, greedy, ungrateful bitch of a daughter Christina!

Joan used only the finest covered padded hangers to beat the children.

by Anonymousreply 176November 27, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote] but never true A-listers (unless you count Esther Williams as one, and I don't)

Esther Williams was about as A list as you can get. Do you think A list means only a serious dramatic actress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 28, 2021 6:14 PM

I'm surprised Joan never did a cameo on her pal Eve Arden's series, Our Miss Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 178November 28, 2021 6:43 PM

She'd have been great on "The Comeback."

by Anonymousreply 179November 28, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] When the guy has a closeup it's crystal clear. When it switches to her it gets all hazy, as though they're filming through smoke.

Do you remember the Barbara Walters specials, she always looked hazy and when she was interviewing an older actress it was like they were conducting the interview in a sauna.

by Anonymousreply 180March 22, 2022 11:31 PM

Doris Day was a top movie star who did a TV series against her will. Her husband had signed her to do the show and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. When her husband died she discovered that he and a crooked lawyer had squandered all her millions and she was almost broke. The TV series made her financially solvent again and many years later she died a wealthy woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 23, 2022 12:58 AM

R181 ..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 23, 2022 12:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!