Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime)

The first 3 episodes have been posted. I'm watching episode one now and my hopes are high, but so far it has a surprisingly heavy-handed "men are bad vibe."

This is supposed to be the next big show. I'd love to know what people who've read the books on which it's based think.

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2021 5:23 AM

Is anyone watching? The first episode was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2021 4:43 PM

I am intrigued but the costuming is the worst I have ever seen for such an expensive show. Where did all the money go? I have seen more lush production on SYFY.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2021 4:46 PM

LMAO, I had the same reaction, R2. Supposedly, no expense was spared, but the costumes, wigs and makeup were terrible. Toward the end of the first episode, even the quality of the special effects plummeted. I liked the wool sweater the main male character was wearing, but it looked like he ordered it from an LL Bean catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2021 5:15 PM

The first four books of the series are just amazing. I haven't watched the series yet, but even if they get it just half right, it should be enjoyable. And it seems that the show's makers want to do it justice. I don't think a "men are bad" vibe will prevail.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2021 5:16 PM

The books are execrable - horrid writing.

So, it’s got that in common with Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2021 6:07 PM

I think it's quite good. I like the special effects in the first episode when the trollocs (sp?) attack the village.

Yes, the costumes and styling seems more LARP, but then - so far - it's all happening in some backwater area of this realm where fancy and lux would look out of place.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2021 6:43 PM

Love the exchange of the barmaid mistaking him and his friend being lovers, and he quips that, if he were into men, he could do a lot better than his friend (whom I find quite attractive).

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]so far it has a surprisingly heavy-handed "men are bad vibe"

Relax, it's only a subliminal stab at Jeff Bezos.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2021 7:36 PM

[quote]I'd love to know what people who've read the books on which it's based think.

Many absolutely despise it but haven't watched more than 20 minutes of it. There's a reason 3 episodes were dropped at once.

Yes, they changed some things for the better. They changed some things for the worse. However, things HAD to be changed. They combined a few characters, shifted some appearances, eliminated some parts of their adventure and even a whole other town they visited. If they had of kept all that in there whey would have had to of added at least two more episodes.

A lot of book fans don't get that. They wanted everything as it was in the book. Storytelling format-wise, some of that just isn't possible.

There's a character, Mat, that finds a dagger. They changed the way he found it. They changed the position of a jewel on it. The first thing they did for time. The second thing they didn't have to do but it's also not really that important. Some fans just despise that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2021 5:50 AM

The diversity casting is heavy handed. Like, REALLY heavy handed.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2021 7:22 AM

another thing i hate about the costumes, they're all too clean and new looking. They should be dirty, well-worn and patched up many times

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2021 7:39 AM

One of the main female characters, the girl who was pushed into the river… she’s clearly way older than her ginge love interest and has a massive mole on the side of her nose. It’s so big that I’m not sure I can stick with a show where they’re going to push her onto us as being some “strong” great beauty. Again, they’ve gone over the cliff with the diversity casting. Some family members are of entirely different races yet everyone speaks with the same, exhausting British accent. The scraggly black man who rode into town with his gypsy wagon, laughing oddly and telling the children he had no “sweets” for them was especially eye rolling. He looked like an unshaven Nipsy Russell.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2021 7:54 AM

R12, I believe Egwene is supposed to be a couple of years younger than the other characters but they aged her up for the show. I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea. They obviously did it to make the show more adult. They're more "promised" to each other or rather it's just expected they'll marry one day rather than them full on having sex.

They should have switched her with the actress who plays the Wisdom, Nynaeve. I kept having to remind myself that she wasn't Lisa Bonet's lost child.

[quote]Some family members are of entirely different races yet everyone speaks with the same, exhausting British accent.

That's a failing of the genre. It never matters where a story takes place. It could be a foreign land, on a different planet, where everyone eats soup and breathes methane and you'll hear a British accent coming out of everyone's mouth. It would be fun if just once one of these shows actually gave everyone from different places slightly different ways of speaking.

[quote]Again, they’ve gone over the cliff with the diversity casting.

In the book, in this town, they're all supposed to look similar except for Bran, the ginger love interest. It was a notable point in the book. He looks different than everyone else and he's the tallest boy in town. I do support color blind casting, though. It's a story about people with magic powers that fight beasts that tear people apart with their teeth. White and all shades of brown people living in the same town isn't so much of a stretch, I guess.

The Dutch actor that plays Bran, Josha Stradowski very much gives a European model vibe. He's also done a couple of gay projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2021 9:52 AM

I just hope the writers approach the story the way the "Game of Thrones" writers approached the story during the good seasons... giving the story the ruthless fucking editing it needed all along!!!

Because I started out loving the books, but gave up around #5 out of 8 or 10 or however many there were, because the books slowed down and dragged and became utterly tedious to read. Same problem as the "GoT" books, only longer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2021 10:14 AM

I watched the first episode last night. It was alright; I like it enough to watch the second tonight.

The thing is, I never saw Game of Thrones, so this genre is pretty unfamiliar to me. I figure it'll take a while to acclimatise!

I like Rosamund Pike a lot and her character's boyfriend/bodyguard (Daniel Henney) is gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2021 10:20 AM

[quote] The diversity casting is heavy handed. Like, REALLY heavy handed.

So what? It's a fantasy. Now if this was a historical episode of Henry the 8th and Ann Boelyn was played by a black actress, then you can get upset. Otherwise, stop being a fucking racist.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2021 10:30 AM

Person who read half the books here, and I'm okay with the diversity casting. The main character needs to look very different from the villagers he lives with, in the books he's described at a tall redhead in a village of shorter brunettes, but putting a redheaded white person in a village of brown-haired white people doesn't have much visual impact.

Put a redhead in a village of brown people, and he really stands out as different-with-a-capital-D. Why not.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2021 12:26 PM

The show sucked ass. When growing up there were better fantasy shows on syndication

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2021 1:45 AM

Meh, it’s kinda just …well, meh. I dunno. I won’t be cooking diner early anytime soon just to hurry up and watch it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2021 3:34 AM

The problem I'm seeing with the diversity casting is that the various regional ethnic groups are so diversified, that we aren't getting the sense of different cultures. The only one that's ringing true for me is Lan Mandragoran, though I expected him to lean more toward Native than Asian.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2021 3:40 AM

The missing thing about this show is the family element. Rn it's hooligans running amok looking for some dragon person

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2021 2:48 AM

The redhead’s name is Rand, not Bran. Bran is a Game of Thrones character.

Speaking of Game of Thrones… I think one reason it was so successful is that the world depicted looked absolutely believable. Despite what is obviously a high budget (much higher than GOT initially had), Wheel of Time’s sets still looked like sets and its actors looked like actors.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2021 3:06 AM

I read the first 7 books of the series but couldn't go any farther so I'm all for the writers paring the story down some (ok, a lot). I am totally on-board with the diverse cast! Who cares, it's sci-fi.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2021 3:16 AM

It’s a bit amateur theatre despite the Amazon money. Halfway through the third episode and not sure if will keep watching. Oddly modern details on the ever-clean costumes too like what appears to be elastic clasps on Nynaeve’s coat.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2021 8:22 PM

After watching all three episodes in one go, I felt underwhelmed. None of the performances or story lines are leaving me with anticipation for more. I’ll give it a few more episodes to see how it evolves. Meh so far.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2021 8:36 PM

It got a fairly scathing review in the Washington Post and the comments were full of angry book fans yelling at the writer for not reading all the books before posting her review. I’m surprised at Rosamund Pike being in this, kind of an odd career move?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2021 8:42 PM

Rosamund managed to get a producer credit. I'd guess she thinks she can make some bank with an ongoing series that goes on for several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2021 9:21 PM

I do think the natural locations are beautiful. Apparently, they filmed in the Czech Republic, Croatia and Slovenia.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2021 9:23 PM

The reality is, none of the reviews matter at this point.

They're currently filming Season 2 right now and will be until Feb of 2022.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2021 12:07 AM

I'm a bit of a film snob who was skeptical of Game of Thrones, but I ended up binging season 1 in a weekend. People who claim Wheel of Time is bound to get better over time are woefully naive. Of course it got a season 2 pick-up...the books have a devoted fan base and it's still possible to fix the flaws and create a pop culture phenomenon.

Still, while each episode is progressively better than the last, the show is weighed down by enduring flaws. The acting is fine, but the dialogue is hilariously bad. The costumes are interesting, but they look cheap and never look like they've endured the same events as the wearer. The natural scenes of central Europe are beautiful, but they're tarnished by amateur-level CGI. Don't get me started on the wigs. Rosamund's looks like it was part of a witch costume she bought at Party City...the biracial guy's curly wig looks like a giant merkin, and the white guy looks like he stepped out of Super Cuts.

Also, sorry, but casting a big-nosed actress with thin lips and a huge mole on her nose was a bold choice. Having a hot guy fawn over her is probably the most fantastical element of the show.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 12:40 AM

" I’m surprised at Rosamund Pike being in this, kind of an odd career move?"

Well, she was about the only British actor who didn't get a job on "Game of Thrones", so here we are.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 5:43 AM

The books killed my interest in high fantasy. They started out pretty good but became such a slog. I seem to recall they were kinda sexist; has that been improved in the show?

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 6:21 AM

Despite the shitshow last season, the GoT's pilot and the earlier seasons hooked people because of good writing that managed to successfully translate the source to the screen. The GoT's pilot had an intrigue and a good shocking cliffhanger that made people to tune in again, the first season had a major shocking twist with the lead that people started to root for being "unexpectedly"killed off in a spectacular fashion.

But most importantly GoT cast had a good chemistry and in general they did good job casting various characters. The ensemble make the GoT.

Diversity or not, the cast in this one is very uneven and does not work as an ensemble. Not for me.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2021 10:32 AM

Finally a masculine good looking Asian guy showing ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2021 11:00 AM

Part of the arc of the books involves people from this remote, kind of ingrown village going out into the world and meeting people not like them. So, yeah, making it look like The UN doesn't really work. Rand looks different, but not that different. So, yeah, the diversity there takes you out of the world. That said, Moraine doesn't need to be white, nor Min, nor several other major characters. Making Lan Asian is a good choice. He should be different from the people in the village.

The issue isn't diversity, per se, it's diversity that screws up the logic of the story and setting. It's mindless box ticking and pretty much always an indication of mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2021 5:38 AM

[quote]Part of the arc of the books involves people from this remote, kind of ingrown village going out into the world and meeting people not like them.

This is true.

[quote]So, yeah, making it look like The UN doesn't really work.

It doesn't if following the book to the letter is their intent, which it isn't.

That being said if they want to do this then they do need to do a better job at changing everything else about the towns. Maybe the buildings are constructed differently in each one? Maybe the clothes that people wear are different from town to town? We've heard a character mention that he knew where the group was from because of how they dressed but what they were wearing didn't really stand out.

We see this in our own world. It's not that hard to tell in many cases, when someone is from NYC vs Portland vs Mobile vs Sandusky. If you travel to each, things look different. Or like when I was in University and I started out dressing like I was from the place where I grew up and by the time I finished my first year I dressed like everyone else at school. I went from jeans to khakis, from oversized shirts to polos, from a skater baseball caps to beanies. Then I moved to NYC after graduation and I was wearing skinny jeans, leather sports coats, a fancy watch, button down shirts with sweaters over them.

There are ways for them to be diverse within the same town but they have to work harder at showing it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2021 7:15 AM

But the WOT world isn't one where people travel and mingle easily. There's no modern transportation. Communities are isolated and kind of ingrown. It's a big deal when the characters make it to a city is what's a broken-down continent.

Paying attention to externals, like building styles, while ignoring the reality of how ethnic clusters happen is clunky because it's not how small rural and isolated villages work. If Amazon couldn't deal with that basic reality, they should have picked a series where that wasn't an issue-- anything set in a city or reasonably technologically advanced.

But these days we're getting a sort of everybody-gets-trophy diversity and it's truly awkward.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2021 7:48 AM

None of these actors seem to go together. There’s something awkward about this show. I never read the books, I watched three episodes and I think I’m done.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2021 7:52 AM

Can't believe the best actor of the bunch is the one being recast.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] But the WOT world isn't one where people travel and mingle easily.

The WOT world that you are talking about is in the books.

This is the tv series.

Book people can’t let go of the books and let the show do its own world building.

And on this show, since time is compressed, they all seem to be traveling quite easily.

“But in the books ….”

I know. I know. I know.

They’ve hacked them to bits for brevity, cast the show a certain way and so far have skipped over another town, changed what happened in a different one and edited down their journey in a few episodes.

Their world is not the same as the books.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2021 3:02 PM

The actress that played Egwene is aboriginal and she's already sounds EXHAUSTED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2021 3:50 PM

She beings nothing to the role.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2021 4:05 PM

That's not fair, R42, she brings a nose mole. That's something!

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2021 4:24 PM

The art direction is so Hallmarkish - utterly awful. If it weren't for Daniel Henney's nudity, I wouldn't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2021 4:38 PM

Reading on DL has ruined me. The first thing I noticed, and immediately rolled my eyes to, was the damned nose mole.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2021 5:49 PM

I really hate to say it because I'm all, "we are the world, we are the children" / "let us all accept our differences" ... but that nose mole is going to ruin this damn show.

I can't stop looking at it and the camera INSISTS on giving her close ups right on the damn mole.

She'd better come back in S2 with it covered. I'm sure she has the money from S1 to get it removed.

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2021 5:56 PM

Does Daniel Henney get naked again? I've only seen episode 1 and had to get the smelling salts after he stepped into the bath. (In my defence, it's been a lonely pandemic.)

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2021 7:19 PM

R40. Hogwash. They're on foot and horseback. It's core to the series premise that there's been a breakdown if the previous world. And it's in the damn show's trailer that the "old blood" runs strong in Two Rivers and that it's remote. So, no, there's no radically different world vision. Just crappy casting to score points on Twitter. The really ridiculous thing is that they could have created a diverse cast without screwing up the basic logic of the story as the books have central characters from all over. Lan's an obvious example.

Read an interview with the showrunner, comes off as a total hack, but arrogant too. Doesn't respect the source material enough to do a good job if it. I've always thought LOTR works because Peter Jackson had loved the books as a kid.

These days earlier works are seen as needing to be fixed and "updated" and the contempt and disrespect doesn't create good results.

I really wish that the rights to WOT hadn't been locked up for so long, a better job would have been done 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2021 7:20 PM

[quote]Hogwash (...) The really ridiculous thing is that they could have created a diverse cast without screwing up the basic logic of the story [bold]as the books[/bold] have central characters from all over. Lan's an obvious example.

The books again!

"THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD A TOWN FULL OF BROWN PEOPLE! AND A TOWN FULL OF ASIAN PEOPLE! AND A TOWN FULL OF BLACK PEOPLE! NO ONE SHOULD HAVE EVER MIXED THEIR BLOOOOODDD!"

Maybe you should go to reddit. They seem to hate it there as much as you do.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2021 7:32 PM

R49 no books, no series. Discarding much of what made the books popular is stupid and the series is the worse for it. It’s not the diversity, it’s the poor acting and crap art direction.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2021 8:01 PM

R49 You do realize that WOT is, yes, an adaptation of a series of books, so a discussion of what's in the books is relevant. And, yeah, if I'm in a remote village in, say, anywhere, I'm going to wonder if its population looks like downtown New York's.

Because you don't see that in the U.S., Europe, Africa or Asia. And you sure as hell don't leave in lines about the "old blood" running strong. It just looks silly.

Thing is, I don't love the books. Jordan write way too many and they just sort of ramble. The sexual politics raise some question marks, but it does have some thought-out world-building.

You're just whining because you don't want to acknowledge that random diversity casting doesn't always work. It's a sign of laziness.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote] It's a sign of laziness.

Well, nobody can accuse you of that, raging your heart out on an anonymous message board.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2021 8:13 PM

R52, Writing a few paragraphs doesn't require that much effort. And I don't feel rage about it because I guessed pretty early on that it wasn't going to work. I wish it were good because I've had an issue finding series that don't bore me. Lately, it's involved reading lots of subtitles, so I wouldn't mind a break from that.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]You do realize that WOT is, yes, an adaptation of a series of books, so a discussion of what's in the books is relevant.

The series is not made for only people who read the books. That's what you don't seem to grasp. The Magicians was not made for only people who read the books. The Game of Thrones series was not made for only people who read the books. This is not high school. The books aren't intended as a supplement to this unit's video lesson. The whole intention of creating a series based on a series of books isn't to force the audience to go back and read the books for context.

Everything you need to know is right there on the screen because the series is made for EVERYONE.

The problem with you "book people" is that you naturally compare what's on screen with what's in the books but you fail to realize is that the book is a spine to help guide the translation or rather the "adapted version" for the screen.

My favorite time watching Game of Thrones was when all the "book people" who thought they were superior suddenly had no clue what the hell was going to happen and they finally had to let go of the idea that they were "gatekeepers" of the "true meaning" of everything on the show.

You'll be much happier if you take what's on the screen for what it is without constantly going, "BUT IN THE BOOK THAT'S NOT HOW THEY FOUND THE KNIFE!!!" "BUT IN THE BOOK THEY DIDN'T PUSH HER OFF OF A CLIFF!" "BUT IN THE BOOK SHE WASN'T DRESSED LIKE THAT WHEN SHE ENTERED THE TAVEREN!" Ain't you tired, Miss Lucy?

[quote]You're just whining because you don't want to acknowledge that random diversity casting doesn't always work. It's a sign of laziness.

Actually, you're proving the one to be quite lazy. You completely ignored the lines of one of my posts while you were so busy arguing with me because you're bored.

I said:

[quote]That being said if they want to do this then they do need to do a better job at changing everything else about the towns. Maybe the buildings are constructed differently in each one? Maybe the clothes that people wear are different from town to town? We've heard a character mention that he knew where the group was from because of how they dressed but what they were wearing didn't really stand out ... There are ways for them to be diverse within the same town but they have to work harder at showing it.

Which implies that whatever they're doing with the "diverse" casting could be done better. So I'm not saying it works.

You seem to think they should all be the same race. I'm saying I think they should all dress the same, talk the same, have some unique quirk from town to town. I'm basing my thoughts off of what I'm seeing on the screen. You just want everything to match whatever your ideas were about the book in your head.

But they're not telling the story for you book people. They're telling the story for everyone else as such the solution will not be, in 2021, to fire everyone who isn't white.

I'm done with you. Good night.

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2021 8:13 AM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2021 8:31 AM

R54 I pointed out why your idea of changing up building styles wasn't going to cut it.

And the issues of making an isolated village look like the UN doesn't have much to do with whom the intended audience is, but basic credible world building.

You seem to have a weird resentment of people who read. As it happens, die-hard fans of a particular series can make it break a dramatization. Amazon wants those obsessive WOT fans. And plenty of those fans wanted a dramatization, but they wanted one that had some respect for Jordan's work. Doesn't mean that changes to a very long winded series if books aren't needed, but it's also clear that the WOT show runner has done a hack job of it.

As for Game of Thrones, the series started well, but went off the rails when B&B could no longer rely on the books to get from point A to point B. They couldn't stick the landing as a result and the show has kind of disappeared from pop culture as a result. Martin knows how to plot. B&B don't.

Writing a fantasy world that works isn't that common an ability. Thinking that various parts of it can be randomly tweaked without affecting the overall whole shows a basic lack of understanding what's involved in making such a world credible.

As I said above it's a shame this wasn't made 10 years ago. It would have stood a better chance.

by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2021 8:41 AM

Jesus, R54! Get out for some air you fucking psycho. Take your pills and get out of your smokey basement or whatever dark nest you lurk in and get yourself together.

It’s not that serious. But taking your meds is, and you’re clearly off of them.

by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2021 8:41 AM

Watched it, never red the books and none of the characters grabbed me, they're all pretty dull with half assed acting, rosmunds terrible wig is so distracting. I Watched got without reading the books and I was hooked within the first two episodes. This has a huge budget yet looks so cheap too, awful costumes and cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2021 8:58 AM

R58 Jordan's characters aren't all that distinctive--it's actually something that good actors, scripts and direction could have improved matters--the way Jackson did with a number of characters in LOTR--Aragorn, Merry, Pippin.

Wonder why it's so bad, given the budget--they could have gotten a better show runner.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2021 10:31 AM

[quote]This is supposed to be the next big show.

It won't be, though. I don't think Hollywood understands that the audience who made GOT huge is burned the fuck out and wary of getting embroiled in another sprawling sci-fi/fantasy series that requires work to keep up with and will very likely let them down hard. They said The Witcher would be the next huge thing. Nope. They said Dune would..nope. Now this.

by Anonymousreply 60November 26, 2021 10:47 AM

I didn’t read it and didn’t watch GoT, but for the most part I’m enjoying it. It does seem almost like a YA Fantasy series, not unlike the aforementioned Magicians, and I say that as a children’s and YA champion and aficionado, not as a undercut between the superiority of adult material over YA, which I’m the first to disavow. Dune too has a young protagonist, but comes off fully as an adult cinematic adaptation, not YA.

I do question about the person who says it’s all there on the screen. I’m not quite sure how Amazon Prime uses their X-Ray feature and the supplemental material they provide and how one is supposed to integrate that into the whole viewing experience. In the atrocious I Know What You Did Last Summer, they provided extensive backstory and character development material, usually in a snarky aside kind of way, that seemed to be almost an interactive feature and needed to fully understand the motivations in the story.

With WoT there’s these beautiful rendered fairytale animations in the X-rays that seem to be founding myths of the backstory that are supposed to lend a deeper context to the world building. I almost wish these were at the start of the episodes as almost a cold opening to set the mood and story. They must have been very expensive to produce, so not a toss off supplemental material to the show. Yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of people don’t know or even access them at all, though their importance seems integral to fully understanding the series.

Then there’s the behind the scenes stuff with the very creepy ghost writer who came into finish the series once the author died and the completely creepy and unnerving wife and editor, who seems to have escaped from some weird cosplay convention. The stuff about the original author doesn’t do any service to series either, as he seems like an eccentric, odd uncle that you would not want to leave the young kids around unattended. All three kind of skeeve me out and do more to turn me off and away from the series then become deeper involved.

by Anonymousreply 61November 26, 2021 10:50 AM

R60 This has canceled in three seasons written all over it, the real test will be the lotr show. That one seems to have massive hype even though a big portion of lotr book fans are worried over amazon ruining it.

by Anonymousreply 62November 26, 2021 10:52 AM

Heavy handed is an understatement. It's also unable to hide, rather than build upon, how derivative it is. The casting is dreadful. And it has to be said that the insertion of myriad brown faces into yet another clearly Anglo-Nordic-Celtic inspired wannabe Rings/Dune story made it look more like one of those pious old Benneton ads than anything original that believed in itself, which it obviously doesn't. It was a yawnfest with the unmistakable aroma of being unable either to equal or move past the works it so achingly reflects.

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2021 11:41 AM

[quote] It was a yawnfest with the unmistakable aroma of being unable either to equal or move past the works it so achingly reflects.

God help us all when Hollywood adapts Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf into a TV series and cast actors with diverse backgrounds. Guys like you will shut the internet down with your angry rants about woke casting.

by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2021 12:15 PM

R64 Oh, spare me. It's stupid casting in the name of a sociopolitical agenda. It's what happened to the arts in Russia under Stalinism.

It does a disservice to the art and what the subliminal message is, "they" can't write anything as good so they have to piggyback onto someone else.

It's transparent, and that sort of transparency served no work of art well.

Grow up.

R63

by Anonymousreply 65November 26, 2021 12:22 PM

I liked episode 4 better. I didn't read the books.

by Anonymousreply 66November 26, 2021 5:25 PM

I'm enlightened and egalitarian and think race doesn't matter!

Until you do color blind casting! Then it's a BIG FUCKEN DEAL!!!!!!!!

screeeASJDFJKLFKSJGKL;SDAJKGL;ASJKG;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2021 5:36 PM

Is that lead gypsy woman that actress who played the matriarch on Orphan Black?

by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2021 7:20 PM

R68, Maria Doyle Kennedy was, indeed, on Orphan Black.

by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2021 8:00 PM

I will say something good for this series, the monsters are horrorfying! They’re super creepy and life like, and showing hoards of them running after people through the forest at night is the stuff of nightmares. And the fact they eat people by just digging into their guts and eating them alive. The hairy hooves and teeth! Yikes! It takes a lot for me to get the chills over a movie monster or supernatural creature. They did very well with these creatures so perhaps THAT’S where the money went.?.

By comparison, the monsters in that new South Korean horror series everyone is going on about look like extra hairy bears with faces that resemble children’s anime characters.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2021 8:15 PM

R67 Colorblind casting works fine in some performances, not in others. It's been the norm in opera for decades. It works in anything that's highly theatrical--Shakespeare, musicals.

It doesn't work in something that's meant to create a sense of reality. What's particularly stupid about WOT is that creating a diverse cast within the realm of the WOT world wouldn't have been that hard. It could have served the story instead of distracted from it.

In this case, the mindless casting is of a piece with the bad costuming, sloppy CGI, and inserting unneeded tragic backstories. (Fuck, the *last* thing WOT needs is more plot.)

Well, from the reviews, it sounds like someone else will get a crack down the line.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2021 8:33 PM

Is that red outfitted sister with the blond hair with the very prominent jawline a Trans actor or is there a twist that some of that class of people can be Trans or non-binary? They seem to be lingering on her face in every shot calling attention to it as if it’s a clue. Because of what the Zoe Kravitz like actress did, exploding and healing everyone and being “the sun” that proves she’s the Dragon right? I wasn’t expecting that reveal to happen so fast, more after seasons then episodes. The caring older brother was really trying to defend the family from the monster right, he didn’t kill them despite having the black ick inside him? I really liked how the cage melted.

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2021 9:02 PM

R72, Nah, she's just got serious magical potential. This isn't a mystery in the books. Moraine has the ability to assess latent potential. Who the Dragon is really obvious to the reader and despite the rantings of some posters, this isn't something that's going to change.

by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2021 9:58 PM

Book readers disappointed and furious about a movie or TV adaption of their beloved books? Will wonders ever cease?

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2021 10:00 PM

R74 The series is getting panned by people who haven't read the books. It's just badly done.

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote]adaption

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2021 2:26 AM

Okay, episode 4 was much better than the first three. Let's see if it keeps improving.

by Anonymousreply 77November 27, 2021 7:31 AM

R72, Kate Fleetwood was born a woman and has 2 kiddos with her husband. She has huge cheekbones. With her hair pulled back it really makes her look kinda odd. They're totes going to do a, "Dragon" of the week thing. The Zoe-like chick (I think her real name is Zoe ) using her powers in a way none of them could & being a woman was enough for them to strip the false dragon of his because if it was going to be anyone they would prefer it would be her. She's the right age too.

The books say who the dragon is/isn't early. The show decided not to. I wouldn't be surprised if the show said fuk it and picked whoever

R74, Wheel of Time was one of the top launches on Amazon Prime of all time. It's the top series on Amazon Prime right now. It was already renewed for S2. It was one of the most pirated shows last week. It has a higher completion rating than any of their shows. The head of Amazon Studios implied that it will likely get renewed for S3 but they wanted to wait before saying it. It's not going anywhere. Online comments and who is watching aren't jiving.

by Anonymousreply 78November 27, 2021 8:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2021 10:08 AM

R78 It was renewed for a second season before it was even streamed. Amazon's been promoting the hell out of it, it's a well-known fantasy series, so of course people tuned in. The question is whether they'll keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2021 10:18 AM

So, if who is the Dragon is not the central mystery to the series, what is?

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2021 10:47 AM

R80, too true. I'd guessed they had seen the episodes before making that choice. Amazon is one of those sketchy ratings places. They're not usually open about them. The show does seem to be getting better? I'm worried about them replacing that Mat actor. I wonder what went on with him? Everyone is staying hush. It wasn't his acting. He even deleted all his social media. Must have been bad.

by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2021 11:09 AM

R81, it's not really a mystery, per se, but the big questions are can the Dragon come into his power without it making him crazy and destroying the world the way the last dragon did and whether the super bad guys can escape their out-of-time prison and take over the world.

There are also about 30,000 subplots.

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote]I'm worried about them replacing that Mat actor.

Too bad, I like the original actor.

by Anonymousreply 84November 27, 2021 1:14 PM

The story has to be told…but this “young attractive adults going on a quest” storyline is just awful. GoT starts with grown ups doing grown up things, which was so seductive. It felt like these are the actions of powerful people and they matter. This YA fantasy approach just takes so much to stay engaged, especially watching mole girl.

by Anonymousreply 85November 27, 2021 3:18 PM

r85, it is interesting that you bemoan the lack of maturity in The Wheel of Time TV show when your own comment lacks the very same. Mole girl? Really?

by Anonymousreply 86November 27, 2021 3:24 PM

Dataloungers almost universally agree about mole girl. It's a sign.

by Anonymousreply 87November 27, 2021 8:04 PM

The mole wouldn’t normally bother me but the multiple closeups on it every episode thus far makes it hard to miss. It deserves it’s own credit at this point.

by Anonymousreply 88November 27, 2021 10:02 PM

R88 makes a great point. They keep showing this woman up really close, almost always in glowing light, the way they'd frame a great beauty. And they're almost always shooting from her left side. She isn't very attractive and the mole really is distracting. Not saying she shouldn't have been cast, but it does seem like a bizarre choice. They could have at least cast the Lisa Bonet chick and maybe swapped those roles with the actresses. And the brunette guy, the one with the black stuff that came out of his mouth... he's sort of a pain in the ass. I'm tired of that character already. He's a drama queen. Send him home all ready to play with his sisters.

by Anonymousreply 89November 28, 2021 3:11 AM

R89 You won’t have to worry next season, black mouth stuff guy actor has been recast.

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2021 5:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!