Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

READ THIS: Do Not Give Your Money To Beto O'Roarke

We love Beto but he's unlikely to unseat Abbot.

Point of the article is that in 2020, we gave millions of dollars to candidates like Jaime Harrison and Amy McGrath who had zero chance of winning and indeed lost by margins of 10% and 20% respectively.

It offers suggestions on which Democrats, people who have a real shot at winning, you should donate to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 24, 2021 12:27 PM

The NY Times Pitchbot writes for the Post now?

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2021 9:48 PM

OP is correct. I won’t be giving one red cent to this feller named Beto O'Roarke.

I will consider donating to the guy who’s running for Governor in Texas, Beto O'Rourke.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2021 10:07 PM

[quote]we gave millions of dollars to candidates like Jaime Harrison and Amy McGrath

Well, "we" isn't the best term to use here. I didn't give them a dime because I paid attention and knew they wouldn't win.

Can't put lipstick on a pig.

Beto, however, has the name recognition that neither of them had. He's the Joe Biden. He's the best known. He's also proven and campaigning is not new to him.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2021 10:10 PM

FUCK OFF, Your MillennialCunt.

Why don't you sign your posts anymore, Cunt?

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2021 10:12 PM

Mr. O'Roarke, de plane! De plane!

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2021 10:24 PM

Good callout, R4.

I guess the intent is for us to save our money so we can donate to Andrew Yang's newest attempt at elected office.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2021 12:33 AM

Bobby Francis?

This faggot's about as Mexican as Doris Day. I'm sure you all jack off thinking about him, but he's a loser wrapped inside another loser.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2021 12:41 AM

Robert "Beto" O'Dourke is going to lose badly. This article is good advice.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2021 12:48 AM

Donate to House and Senate candidates that have a chance of winning. Don't give to sure bet winners in most blue states.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2021 12:56 AM

Oh, sure.

Just don’t oppose the Nazis at all. Let them run unchallenged and further bolster the people’s resounding confidence in government.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2021 2:37 AM

R10 Wasting ammunition on impenetrable targets is no way to defeat "Nazis," especially when their side has a lot more resources than you do, and can afford to sit and watch you burn through your stocks.

Some dickheads can be defeated by some challengers. Greg Abbott cannot be defeated this cycle, and Beto O'Rourke cannot defeat anyone this cycle.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2021 2:49 AM

Fuck this noise, I’m giving to Beto. If nothing else, it will add to the symbolism of his candidacy. I want people outside of Texas to know that we are here and we’re not giving up.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2021 2:57 AM

R12 Symbolism doesn't mean shit if you lose every time. I'd rather mail money to the Kansas City Royals or the corpse of Walter Mondale.

I want somebody who might actually WIN.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2021 2:59 AM

I live in Georgia and I HATE the old republican senators, david perdue and kelly loeffler with a passion. I LOVE Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, but their commercials got so obnoxious that if the race weren't important (to keep control of the senate), I wouldn't have voted. There were 10 commercials an hour for them on each channel. The week before the election there were 20 to 25 commercials for them. They would play the ad, play another commercial then replay the ad again.

What would have gotten a lot more votes is them not showing ads one day a week and using that money to have a food bank for the citizens. It was so bad that people lined up for 2 miles to the local food banks. They waited in 95 degree weather. People were broke and the politicians were pissing all that money away on ads.

There's a lot of rednecks here who mostly vote republican, but I could see some of them crossing party line for a politician who has helped them personally. I'm sure they probably aren't allowed to spend their campaign money on this (it could be construed as buying votes), but they should try to line something up with companies providing the food. People would be more willing to cross party lines to vote for a politician who has helped them.

Pissing all that money away on ads was shameful. It was a sin

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2021 3:02 AM

I won't give him any of my money. But I'll happily give him my dick.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2021 3:04 AM

Democrats need to work harder to win historically red states. Republicans win these areas because they are a solidly devoted base of older retirees, rich businessmen, small business owners and religious conservatives that will support them for various reasons (less taxes, religion, abortion, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc). Democrats mostly appeal to the young, ethnic minorities and the educated. But they can win over working class whites if they go to rural areas and attempt to communicate. Democrats need to get more involved in these poor communities rather than demonize them. There's a big misconception that the Democratic Party hates poor whites that Republicans push out.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2021 3:05 AM

Interesting that r4 calls out Millennial friend but I have r4 blocked. And I only block trolls.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2021 3:07 AM

Beto came *thisclose* to beating Cruz. He could beat Abbott.

Unless Democrats are so loathed by everyone for whatever reason that O’Rourke sinks like McAulliffe.

But it’s worth a shot.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2021 3:16 AM

Will Beto be using that same campaign manager he used for his Senate race, the one who was obviously lusting after Beto in the HBO documentary?

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2021 3:17 AM

Always the problem with Dems - so many have their pet candidates that they cling to even when there is no chance of them happening.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2021 3:19 AM

R20, Case in point, Adlai Stevenson. After running and losing twice, Eleanor Roosevelt wanted Adlai to run a third time in 1960, she disliked JFK.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2021 3:25 AM

The Democratic Party is out of touch in general. They also lack unity and a clear goal. They need to be more active and realize the American people are unfortunately easily swayed. Look at all the conspiracy theories on Facebook and the abomination of Fox News. They need to call out the GOP on their bullshit, try to wake people up to their lies. Republicans play dirty and bash Democrats all the time. Republicans portray themselves as anti-establishment and "for the people", they promise their voters that they are protecting their freedoms. They also say that the Democrats are a plantation party bringing us to a communist nanny state. That's a huge lie.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2021 3:30 AM

Texas is growing so fast, though, Beto might be smart to try to grab this one. People in Texas are pissed about the power loss in Houston, etc, and Beto does a TON of door-to-door campaigning, so who knows? Better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2021 3:32 AM

All this idealizing of bipartisan politics is BS, as is this idea that the Dems can't do anything expedient because then the GOP would feel "free" to do it themselves.

Newsflash: the GOP feels "free" to do whatever - they've never had any problem taking any action to foil Dems, even if it means opposing their own ideas.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2021 3:33 AM

While I agree that SC and KT were a waste last cycle, what blue candidates were underfunded, at least on the senate side? Who, specifically, could have used the money? They were all awash with cash. There was no more ad time left to buy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2021 3:39 AM

Beto needs to stop dropping "f bombs" when he speaks publicly.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2021 3:46 AM

Does he say “Latin-X”? I hate it when Democrats do that.

If he does that, he needs to stop it for sure.

Also he better not pander to the trannies like he did in the presidential primary. No, Beto, there is no epidemic of trans homicide, and no, they do not need a seat at your table, helping you draft policy.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote]Point of the article is that in 2020, we gave millions of dollars to candidates like Jaime Harrison and Amy McGrath who had zero chance of winning and indeed lost by margins of 10% and 20% respectively.

Aww, it's cute that you think those were legitimate wins. They happened just like magic against all polling but, as usual, whenever a Repug waaaaaay overperforms ALL the polls, it's the polls that were wrong and the Democrats just whistle, shake their heads, and walk away. But, I'm sure McConnell flipped a bunch of Democratic districts that had never voted for him before in a year when Democratic turnout all over the country broke records. Yep. Sure that happened.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2021 5:37 AM

And, don't even get me started on Graham. There's a reason he's firmly planted straight up Trump's ass to this day.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2021 5:39 AM

R28 Knows Things That Other People Don't Know.

Why>

They Did Their Research.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2021 12:45 PM

OP thinks the way to beat Abbott is to have the Democrats run with Abbott or a clone.

No, OP. Beto may not be the best candidate but your reasoning is suspect, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2021 12:55 PM

Why doesn’t he get those hideous buck teeth fixed.

What a tool.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2021 1:16 PM

It is an absolute crime that this man lost a Senate bid against Rafael Ted Cancun Cruz. When Rafael Ted was escaping to fly to the Caribbean while his state was in dire straits, Beto was in the thick of it, helping out and raising money. Any Texans who voted to reseat Cruz and who will vote for Abbott over Beto deserve everything they get.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2021 1:25 PM

I should become an opinion writer.

Apparently, you can write anything these days and don't have to back up anything you say:

"Beto got close to winning, but that was against Ted Cruz, therefore Beto is now more like Amy McGrath & Jaime Harrison." What???

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2021 1:28 PM

The point of thee article was not to surrender Texas

It was that Beto will raise enough money to fight the good fight, but that if we are going to drown candidates with more money than they can spend, let's do it in less sexy races against less well-known where the Democrats have a chance of winning.

It was too easy to chip in $100 to "take down McTurtle" and McGrath wound up with more money than she could make use of.

It's just a call to be more strategic with our donations.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2021 1:40 PM

R35 The article never said anything about "drown[ing] candidates with more money than they can spend".

The article suggests Beto will be fine money-wise and will lose (just like McGrath & Harrison), so don't give him money.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2021 2:07 PM

So we continue voting for corporate democrats who do little for the people that vote for them, but are happy to gladhand to the Fortune 500 and line their pockets with cash and prizes.

The Democrats are the lesser of two evils, but it like choosing between herpes or HIV/AIDS

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2021 2:12 PM

Raising money for ads is good, but Democrats have a fatal, fundamental problem with messaging, getting out the vote, and education. It’s not a problem of having money; it’s a problem with candidate selection and strategy. Why aren’t Democrats spending money now to help people of color and young people prepared to vote with education about how to obtain identification cards, how to register to vote, etc. I’m fact, where are the mass voter registration drives amongst college students, POC, and urban populations? Where is targeted programming toward the base? How about billboards in urban areas? How about ads and programming on Latin and black radio?

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2021 2:18 PM

Democrats are losing the voter registration battle. Why aren’t they mass registering people like Republicans are doing?

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2021 2:19 PM

R38 R39 JFC, you don't think they're doing it? Stacey Abrams' name was out there due to her efforts.

DLers are so fucking annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote] DLers are so fucking annoying.

Hear, hear!

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2021 4:10 PM

Dems should really hire Stacey as their national organizer. Anyone know what she’s up to now?

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2021 4:16 PM

Isn't Abrams going to run for governor of Georgia again?

And, the Democrats far outnumbered the Repugs in registering people for 2020 so there might not be a huge population of unregistered Dems (except the ones who've been disenfranchised by the new Repug voting restrictions). It's going to be motivation that's the issue without the Orange piece of shit on the ballot. Mail in voting will help but there's still DeJoy fucking up the postal service. The disenfranchisement of voters by Repugs across the country is criminal.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2021 7:43 PM

R43, outregistered where? Not in swing states. In fact. Media and pundits made a big deal out of how Republicans were massively outregistering Democrats in Florida, North Carolina, and other swing states. Republicans have been kicking ass with registering and get out the vote efforts for the last several years.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2021 10:36 PM

Published Nov. 5 Updated Nov. 5 Florida Republicans have officially reached a milestone they’ve been trending toward for nearly a decade — outnumbering registered Florida Democrats for the first time in state history.

Gov. Ron DeSantis touted the achievement for Republicans at the National Conference of State Legislatures Friday morning.

“Today for the first time in the history of Florida we’ve now overtaken Democrats,” DeSantis said to applause, then joking that Republicans would have won the New Jersey governor’s race if all the Republicans hadn’t moved to Florida.

Voter registration information from Florida’s Division of Elections only reflects numbers through August of this year. But state parties often have more recent data than what’s provided to the public, combing through it weekly from each county.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2021 10:38 PM

Democrats are confronting narrowing voter registration advantages in key battleground states ahead of next year’s midterm elections, stirring concern among some party members of a coming Republican wave in 2022.

In Pennsylvania, Democrats now lead Republicans in voter registration by about 632,000 people, down from 813,885 two years ago. The same is true in another battleground state, North Carolina, where Democrats’ advantage has shrunk by more than 140,000 since October 2019. There are fewer active registered Democrats on the books in North Carolina now than there were six years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2021 10:44 PM

Republicans are being super aggressive with registering new voters and GOTV. They are seeing a lot of success by partnering with churches and civic organizations.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2021 10:45 PM

But Kennedy also noted that Republicans have invested heavily in voter registration efforts, noting that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has pumped roughly $2 million into the state GOP’s voter registration efforts.

“I do think that the Republicans have put a lot of emphasis on voter registration,” he said. “For Democrats, there hasn’t been a robust voter registration operation like there needs to be in Florida since the Obama era. There’s this emphasis on third-party groups and nonprofits filling in that gap.”

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2021 10:46 PM

Republicans are many things but they are not lazy. Democrats need to get the energy up and stop expecting votes to come. Ads on TV, radio and YouTube aren't working. It's aggressive campaign tours and community engagement that helps. Democratic Party has to get more hands-on and go to every location possible to register voters. Especially those who are the most disenfranchised.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2021 10:46 PM

The bad news: It’s gotten worse not only in Florida, North Carolina and Pennsylvania — but also Nevada.

(FYI: Georgia, Michigan and Wisconsin aren’t included here, because they don’t report party affiliation.)

Whether it was due to Covid, the Trump campaign’s voter drive in 2019-2020, or ancestral Democrats who have either switched parties or passed away, Democrats have a voter registration problem they need to fix as we approach 2022 and 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2021 10:49 PM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2021 12:25 AM

Democrats are practically conceding a year before midterms. Get some fight in you!

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2021 12:51 AM

This guy is wasting his time.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2021 12:58 AM

Something happened between his close loss to Cruz and today. Beto ran for president , and was exposed. In the debates he was awful. His meandering platitudes were just embarrassing next to Mayor Pete's knowledgeable answers. I don't think people ever looked at him the same after those terrible performances.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2021 1:20 AM

He was just on CNN sounding more centrist than Biden. Not a word of slam poetry.

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2021 1:40 AM

He is trying to course correct

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2021 2:24 AM

Without money, Beto cannot win. With money, it's still going to be a challenge. Without money, there is very little hope.

How does the Washington Post propose anyone try and unseat that asshole Greg Abbott? Does the opposition party just not try? There aren't many prominent Democratic Texans stand a chance except for Beto.

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2021 3:03 AM

R57, Just how wealthy is Beto's wife?

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2021 5:37 AM

R55, Did he let out a "fuck"?

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2021 5:39 AM

It's funny how all the new Repug voters are in battleground states. That's not suspicious at all for a party that's been cheating for nearly 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2021 5:42 AM

I think he knows he has no chance, but he needs book deals. He needs money.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2021 5:44 AM

He doesn't need money, R61. His wife and her family are super wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2021 5:55 AM

He needs fame then. Attention. He has zero chance. So it’s some reason—narcissism or money.

by Anonymousreply 63November 17, 2021 6:02 AM

I need him deeply inside of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 17, 2021 6:19 AM

and again, nobody is looking at the bigger picture. Beto is running to help Biden and the national democrats.

25% chance he wins.

He also has a very good chance of keeping the race within 5 points. All that money and energy will help Dems down the ballot in Texas. It could end up saving the house for Dems. Then Biden rewards him. Ambassador to whateverthefuckhewants.

by Anonymousreply 65November 17, 2021 7:37 AM

[quote]Beto came *thisclose* to beating Cruz. He could beat Abbott.

Why? Is Abbott hated more than Cruz? Is anyone?

by Anonymousreply 66November 17, 2021 7:49 AM

[quote] How does the Washington Post propose

SMH

It is not "the Washington Post" proposing this.

It is an [italic] op-ed writer whose opinion was published in the Washington Post[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 67November 17, 2021 9:08 AM

I think he has a shot

by Anonymousreply 68November 17, 2021 10:33 AM

Running a Democrat that people are excited about will help Democrats in other races on the same ballot. Biden got something like 5% more votes than Hillary Clinton had in KY, in part because Dem voters turned out for McGrath. (McGrath actually got about 25K more votes than Biden did in 2020.)

It was KY so there wasn't much chance a Democrat would win, but in a state with more swing potential like TX, it might make a real difference.

by Anonymousreply 69November 17, 2021 10:43 AM

Why can’t democrats be United?

by Anonymousreply 70November 17, 2021 10:51 AM

The subject line could be the first line of a poem; so certain that Datalounge won’t disappoint me…

by Anonymousreply 71November 17, 2021 11:35 AM

Because they are American R70

That's really the Delta between the two, especially in the Southwest and along the Frontier

by Anonymousreply 72November 17, 2021 12:12 PM

For R71

Do not give your money to Beto O'Rourke

You may think he's cute, but I think he's a dork

So many other hot politicians that I'd want to pork

Like Kinzinger, Cockgobbler, Pete Buttigieg

Conor Lamb and Seth Moulton, whose cock I would edge

So save your money, don't send it to Tex

"Donate" to the Cockgobbler and at least you'll get sex.

by Anonymousreply 73November 17, 2021 12:17 PM

I think the issue in Texas is that for a Democrat to win, they can't represent the interests of white collar professionals. No candidate like that could possibly rise in the ranks in the party, so they have no viable candidates.

Beto is widely despised by Hispanics in Texas, by the way. He fools no one.

by Anonymousreply 74November 17, 2021 12:27 PM

R73, Seth Moulton is my Congressman. Have met and spoken with him several times, not impressed.

Jake Auchincloss is new on the scene, having won Joe Kennedy III's seat in Congress.

Distant Kennedy connection through Jackie O's stepfather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 17, 2021 12:33 PM

He's a politician they keep trying to make happen but never do.

by Anonymousreply 76November 17, 2021 12:41 PM

R76, That Vanity Fair cover story really harmed Beto, made him look foolish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 17, 2021 12:50 PM

I think he has a shot and in early polling he's only a couple of points down. Plus he has Matthew Dowd running for Lt Governor against that ratfucker Dan Patrick.

by Anonymousreply 78November 17, 2021 12:58 PM

We will do whatever the fuck we want.

by Anonymousreply 79November 17, 2021 1:02 PM

Love it r73, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 80November 17, 2021 1:02 PM

Dems were in 2020 were too timid about Covid and didn’t go door to door. Republicans did.

Stop hiding in the basement, Dems.

by Anonymousreply 81November 17, 2021 1:17 PM

The news is so dismal on both political sides…I’ve had to stop watching the cable and network news. And definitely not TYT. The latter articulates my anger, but I’m overwhelmed by the drama. So now, just documentaries on YouTube and stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 82November 17, 2021 1:28 PM

TYT???

by Anonymousreply 83November 17, 2021 2:49 PM

For r83…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 17, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote]Why can’t democrats be United?

Partly because they can't reach a consensus about policy and then stick with it.

Partly because the media fuels the internal divisions, making it all look worse than it is and because too many Dems love to fight their battles in public.

The Republicans would probably have all the same problems at the present time, if the fear and soullessness weren't so firmly entrenched in their ranks. When you've got guys like McConnell and McCarthy running the show and the dangerous dominance of the Trumptards like Gym, you create enough fear to shut everybody up and shut everybody down. It is a real luxury. Too bad it threatens the country.

by Anonymousreply 85November 17, 2021 3:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 17, 2021 4:35 PM

R74 Bullshit.

The poll found that 49% of Hispanic respondents favor O’Rourke and 31% favor Abbott. Hispanics who are evangelical Protestants are more likely to vote for Abbott (42%) than O’Rourke (37%), while Catholic Hispanics and non-religious Hispanics overwhelmingly favor O’Rourke (56% and 46%) over Abbott (29% and 28%).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 17, 2021 5:53 PM

What bothers me about many of these comments is that people outside Texas bitch (rightfully, in most cases) about Texas and Texans and when we Texas liberals (yes, there are millions of us) ask for national help with elections, everyone then says, “well, your candidate has no chance so we won’t help you, sorry.” We are fighting an uphill battle to get national excitement about our candidates and this isn’t just lip service - Texas is a very important state, whether you hate us or not. Every single city in Texas is blue, except Fort Worth and yes, I see Biden/Harris signs every so often in rural areas. Please don’t leave us out yet again.

This isn’t just for Beto, this applies to every single election.

by Anonymousreply 88November 17, 2021 5:59 PM

If the polling is accurate and Abbott is in trouble... he's kind of boxed in. He can't soften, but if he gets worse that surely alienates more people, doesn't it? I mean, eventually he will have nothing left but crazies but there must be a lot of people to go through before that.

by Anonymousreply 89November 17, 2021 6:02 PM

Of course I'll give money to Beto to take a run at Abbott.

Abbott is a dangerous and stupid fucking lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 90November 17, 2021 6:19 PM

Wrong comparison. Unlike Harrison or McGrath, Beto was very close to beating Cruz the last time he ran in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 91November 17, 2021 7:12 PM

Fuck off. We will not give up without fighting. We will not win every seat we fight for. But we will make Republicans bleed money fighting us. We will deepen our bench of candidates. And we will gain campaign experience. I will be giving Beto money.

by Anonymousreply 92November 17, 2021 7:30 PM

HISSSS R92!! That is quite the speech! Do you thrust out your hips and stick out your chin while delivering it?

HISSS

HISSSSS

And DOUBLE HISSSSS

While you are "making Republicans bleed" hiopefully you will send some of your social security money to Democrats who have a really solid chance of winning, maybe in some down ballot races in Texas.

Plenty of people will give Beto money. A candidate for State Senate in a swing district? Not nearly as many.

But HISS ON!!

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2021 8:30 PM

Seriously, did O'Rourke look foolish in that presidential primary or what?

by Anonymousreply 94November 18, 2021 12:34 AM

I live in Kansas City, Mo. Please save some money to fund an airlift when the Republicans blockade my city.

by Anonymousreply 95November 18, 2021 12:58 AM

This loser needs to go away. Democrats need to find someone who actually has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 96November 18, 2021 1:01 AM

R87 I have totally lost faith in polling in the past few years, and even still those polls show tepid support. Half of Hispanics like him?

I live in a majority Mexican area and people laugh when he gets brought up. Cold reality.

by Anonymousreply 97November 18, 2021 1:01 AM

Beto lost to human turd Ted Cruz, and he flamed out early in the presidential run. He’s a loser. Let’s move on. I’d rather support Matthew McConaughey.

by Anonymousreply 98November 18, 2021 1:02 AM

If you're wondering, the cretin at R93 is OP.

by Anonymousreply 99November 18, 2021 10:24 AM

But what if he presents hole...

and asks in that sexy voice

by Anonymousreply 100November 18, 2021 2:30 PM

R98, I think that shows what a hard climb it will be to turn Texas blue. Ted Cruz should be easy to defeat. Everybody loathes him.

by Anonymousreply 101November 18, 2021 2:32 PM

But the culture of Texas still is red. The suburbs still vote red. Until suburbs vote Blue, and Latinos vote deeper blue, the state is still red

by Anonymousreply 102November 18, 2021 2:36 PM

R100 is the only true DLer. Also BDF, I always vote on BDF.

by Anonymousreply 103November 18, 2021 2:39 PM

Republicans thought they couldn't win VA either and look what happened.

by Anonymousreply 104November 18, 2021 2:58 PM

I hope there's an unsung majority in Texas who have felt dejected and are just waiting for a candidate to get behind. They've had a huge influx of sunbelt-seeking Millennials in recent years, as well as African Americans and indigenous people who loathe Republicans (Pocahontas).

Support him and see what happens. You have to try. Look what happened in Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2021 3:05 PM

I'm confused by the replies here.

After the abortion bill, voting bill, response to winter storm, etc., there are actual issues Dems can run on. Abbott has pissed off a lot of people in TX.

Yes, Abbott can still win but this is the best chance Dems have in a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2021 3:19 PM

R105 Indigenous? There are like 12 Indians in Texas, and they only live along the border.

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2021 3:49 PM

Who is OP to tell is who to give money to?

by Anonymousreply 108November 18, 2021 3:56 PM

R104? Republicans never thought that; arrogant Democrats did

by Anonymousreply 109November 18, 2021 3:56 PM

Virginia is a very conservative state outside of four counties in Northern VA. It’s the South

by Anonymousreply 110November 18, 2021 3:59 PM

Who is OP to tell us who to give money to?

by Anonymousreply 111November 18, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote]After the abortion bill, voting bill, response to winter storm, etc., there are actual issues Dems can run on. Abbott has pissed off a lot of people in TX.

Yes, but Beto O’Rourke won’t run on any of that stuff. He’ll focus on being extra-woke.

by Anonymousreply 112November 18, 2021 5:45 PM

I think he's dialing it down. His CNN appearance was intensely centrist. Still, a big hill to climb from Man, I was born for this. The Mesquite Messiah....

by Anonymousreply 113November 18, 2021 5:50 PM

He will find it hard to run from the videotape of him from 2020

by Anonymousreply 114November 18, 2021 6:02 PM

Dems need to run centrist candidates that advocate for progressive policies. Which is what Joe Biden does. Wokeism is turning voters off democrats. That's why the AOC crowd needs to be primaried and replaced by people who actually can deliver.

by Anonymousreply 115November 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Is Beto still going to go door to door to seize Texans' guns and tax all those Black and white Baptist, and Hispanic Catholic churches, which won't perform gay marriage? That's out there. He should stick to regaining his liberal Congressional seat.

by Anonymousreply 116November 18, 2021 9:29 PM

Is his campaign going to be managed exclusively by black trans women?

by Anonymousreply 117November 18, 2021 10:12 PM

He needs to go away. He’s a loser.

by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2021 6:12 AM

People keep mentioning polls, so I'll keep mentioning that in Southern states, it doesn't matter what the polls say. Unless the Democrat is over 50% in the poll. Because come election day, Democrats never end up with 50%. They end up stuck in the low to mid 40's and lose by 10 or more points.

You'll see Republicans polling at 40% and they're not sweating it. Because they know come election day, the guaranteed Republican voter, whether they be white suburbanites or white old people, will show up just like they have at every election over the past 20 years. Plus some Trump fans who were irregular voters.

by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2021 6:56 AM

He’s so painful to look at

by Anonymousreply 120November 19, 2021 7:06 AM

He’s like Corey Booker without the charm

by Anonymousreply 121November 19, 2021 11:46 AM

R121 So... Corey Booker.

by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2021 11:58 AM

Anyone look at Beto's website yet...? It's so fucking bad. Beto's first point is that he's "a fourth generation Texan..." repeated twice... However... if Covid surges throughout 2022, Beto has a chance of kicking the shit out of Abbott.

BETO O’ROURKE IS A FOURTH-GENERATION TEXAN Beto O’Rourke is a fourth-generation Texan, born and raised in El Paso where he has served as a small business owner, a City council representative and a member of Congress

by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2021 12:13 PM

R123, And a gigolo.

by Anonymousreply 124November 19, 2021 1:42 PM

R120, Seriously? Where are you looking?

by Anonymousreply 125November 19, 2021 1:43 PM

R123 I thought his parents were from Massachusetts? He's insecure about not being a real Texan I guess.

by Anonymousreply 126November 19, 2021 6:51 PM

"WHY DIDN'T HILLARY CAMPAIGN IN MORE STATES!??"

"We need a 50 State solution!"

"Not one seat should go unchallenged!"

Then, when candidates lose elections...

"Why are we WASTING OUR MONEY WHERE WE CAN'T WIN?"

It's remarkable how self-defeating lefties can be, but to be candid, most of this comes from younger non-voters who'd never give a great candidate even $25 bucks, instead taking the time to shriek "We NEED to get money out of politics!" while Republicans donate and vote in every election!

by Anonymousreply 127November 19, 2021 8:30 PM

[quote]Democrats need to get more involved in these poor communities rather than demonize them.

NO ONE is "demonizing" them! Quit regurgitating Chuck Todd talking points. It's the racism, stupid!

by Anonymousreply 128November 19, 2021 8:35 PM

Democrats need to focus on white suburban women and drop all the woke POC and Tranny pandering.

by Anonymousreply 129November 19, 2021 8:57 PM

R116, I need Beto to come to my door.

by Anonymousreply 130November 19, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote][R116], I need Beto to come to my door.

Front or back door?

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2021 2:18 PM

[quote] [R10] Wasting ammunition on impenetrable targets is no way to defeat "Nazis,"

Why the scare quotes? Have you been away on vacation and not paying attention to what’s going on in Texas right now?

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2021 2:23 PM

Beto, start showing pictures of Abbott in the wheelchair, especially show them as he's cutting programs and doing shit; show him as the bitter asshole he is.

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2021 2:23 PM

I would donate to the Democratic Party, without giving to any specific candidate. Let them disburse the money to the candidates.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2021 2:35 PM

I’m not donating to party in protest of a lack of cohesive, succinct, attractive messaging. They should have gotten their act together by now with all the money they have

by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2021 2:51 PM

If Kamala or Pete is the 2024 nominee, the Democrats are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2021 3:30 PM

Democrats did a great job of picking the only electable candidate in 2020, thank you Congressman Clyburn

by Anonymousreply 137November 21, 2021 3:33 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2021 1:32 AM

Beto must be doing well, this thread is full of right wing trolls, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 139November 22, 2021 3:16 AM

I’m okay with Beto running because I don’t think any Democrat can win in Texas

by Anonymousreply 140November 22, 2021 2:39 PM

The DNC has used Texas Democrats as their ATM for decades: they refuse to support any Texas Dem and chase after us to give money to the fucking Rust Belt.

In mid-October 2018 at the most fraught moment in the Senate race, the New York Times carried a story about how the DNC and DSCC were furious that Beto wasn't giving his fundraising money to Claire McCaskill, Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Donnelly because the DNC claimed Beto stood no chance of winning. They then sent their minions to MSNBC and CNN to bitch about Beto and plant more stories about his 'greed'. Ted Cruz naturally picked up these stories and put out TV ads about how even Democrats hate Beto.

So the Democratic Party sought to undermine the election, probably did so. And, by the way, Beto lost by 2.5 pts whereas McCaskill, Heitkamp & Donnelly all lost by much bigger margins.

In contrast, the DNC ran millions of dollars in TV ads in Texas for Jaime Harrison who was running against Graham in SCarolina. Nobody in Texas could vote for him so WTF?

Harrison lost by double digits and then got named head of the DNC. If you want to know why Democrats lose, check out the incompetent DNC.

by Anonymousreply 141November 22, 2021 4:43 PM

Thousands of people showed up in Houston and Dallas for Beto's rallies this weekend. Abbott's approval numbers are under water. About 2 milliion Californians have moved to Texas since 2018. Probably a lot of them are Orange County rightwingers but a lot are Silicon Valley types. How will they vote? This is going to be a whole new ballgame.

by Anonymousreply 142November 22, 2021 4:53 PM

I wanna believe, but my mind and logic say it’s not Gonna happen. But I support Democrats giving it their all nationwide

by Anonymousreply 143November 22, 2021 4:57 PM

If it freezes in Texas this winter and the power goes out (and Abbott has done absolutely nothing to get the powergrid winterized as his billionaire donors want to protect their profits) or if there's another mass shooting in Texas with an assault weapon, Beto'll win in a landslide.

Abbott has pushed so far to the right (he previously tried to appear moderate in 2018) that he has disappeared into Trump territory. He thinks he's positioning himself to run for President but he's actually positioning himself to get his ass kicked out next year. Texas is increasingly a weak GOP state. Biden only lost Texas by 5 pts. Indiana or West Virginia, it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 144November 22, 2021 6:38 PM

And they forced that fucking M.J. Hegar on us. I voted for her, but WTF.

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2021 8:35 PM

r145 the Texas Democratic party pushed the nominations of a bunch of women in 2020 so they'd look woke. We got 9 women of color they could brag about as nominees for Congress. ALL of them lost. We always get a clique of people running the Travis county Dems who think we're Seattle and want to get interviews on MSNBC. Cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

by Anonymousreply 146November 22, 2021 10:07 PM

R145 13 Black women judges were elected in Harris County.

by Anonymousreply 147November 22, 2021 10:38 PM

I'm fine with more women judges, r147. What I hated was that this Hegar candidate was pushed over Royce West, who had legislative experience in the state house and wasn't some DINO no one knew.

by Anonymousreply 148November 22, 2021 10:50 PM

r147 they were elected in 2018 like County Judge Lina Hidalgo was, on Beto's coattails - there were no coattails to hang onto in 2020.

Royce West might have been a better candidate than Hegar who was nothing but hype because she had some very well-done TV ads but nothing beyond that. Beto got constantly criticized as a privlleged white man when he ran for President so no way he was going to run against Cornyn elbowing Hegar (a woman) and West (a black man) who had already thrown their hats in the ring early on. Also, she was a former Republican/Libertarian so a blue dog Dem at most and the nominees for Congress were way too many Democratic socialists and they can only get elected in solid blue districts which in Texas are already held by Doggett, Green, Escobar, Jackson Lee and Johnson. Colin Allred and Lizzie Fletcher also flipped districts in 2018 thanks to Beto's coattails.

Texas Dems need to stop nominating BernieBros and 'woke women' for Congress. Texas ain't woke.

by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2021 11:21 PM

OP, the WaPo ran an all-out vendetta against Beto in 2019. There were articles bashing him everyday. Jennifer AIPAC Rubin made a career out of attacking him. No idea why but it seemed like it started after Beto called Netanyahu a racist. Beto had previously boycotted the speech Boehner had invited Netanyahu to make before both houses of Congress. The editor of the WaPo then Martin Baron is a big Israel booster. I note the journalist's name is "Waldman". Don't think that's a coincidence..

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]@ BetoORourke: "Within a month of the February blackouts in Texas, Kelcy Warren [CEO, Energy Transfer Partners], whose company made $2.4B on this tragedy... turns around and writes Abbot a $1 million campaign contribution check. So if you're looking for an answer, you found it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 24, 2021 2:45 AM

Abbott's received multi-million dolllar donations from a number of oil magnates. That's who he works for.

My favorite Abbott bribe so far: there is a billionaire named - no joke - Beaver Aplin. He owns a chain of ueber-gas stations/convenience stores called Buc-ees. He made a $250,000 donation to Abbott and a month later was named by Abbott to head oversight of ERCOT, the state's board supervising the broken-down power grid. That'll work.

Abbott gets away with appearing less diabolical than DeSantis because he's the cripple in the wheelchair. Abbott's evil. DeSantis is just a mafia-wannabe grifter.

by Anonymousreply 152November 24, 2021 12:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!