Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MARLOWE starring Neeson, Lange, Kruger, Cumming, Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Huston, Hart and Meaney

The script from William Monahan (The Departed) is based on the novel The Black-Eyed Blonde by John Banville, with Oscar winner Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) aboard to direct.

In Marlowe, when private detective Philip Marlowe (Neeson) is hired to find the ex-lover of a glamorous heiress, it looks an open and shut case, but Marlowe soon finds himself in the underbelly of Hollywood’s film industry and unwittingly drawn into the crossfire of a legendary Hollywood actress and her subversive, ambitious daughter.

Kruger will play Clare Cavendish, the femme-fatale instigator of the plot, who inherits her irresistible charm from her notorious mother, Dorothy Cavendish, played by Oscar winner Jessica Lange.

Hart is set to play detective Joe Green, whilst Colm Meaney plays Bernie Ohls, the DA’s investigator and Chandler’s other recurring character from the original stories. Danny Huston will play the colourful country club manager, Floyd Hanson. Akinnuoye will play Cedric, the right-hand to sharply-dressed gangster Lou Hendricks, played by Cumming.

Pic is being produced by Alan Moloney, Gary Levinsohn, Philip Kim, Patrick Hibler, Mark Fasano and Billy Hines. The film is being executive produced by Elisabeth Costa de Beauregard, Patrick Muldoon, Jeff Rice, Steven Sims, Harris Tulchin, Tobias Weymar, Christopher Hines and Celine Haddad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2022 8:42 PM

Alan Cumming needs to go away. What a ham.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2021 3:33 AM

The book is a page turner. Lange’s character is aces.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2021 4:51 PM

The Suicide Squad breakout Daniela Melchior and The Moodys star François Arnaud are the latest to have joined Liam Neeson movie thriller Marlowe, which is currently filming in Ireland and Spain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2021 2:31 AM

The film is being shot in Ireland apparently. The description makes it sound like a Chinatown esque L.A. noir but I can't imagine anyone is dumb enough to think the Emerald isle could stand in for California.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2021 2:40 AM

This is an excellent cast.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2021 2:40 AM

Wow this looks great, I can’t wait to see it! Love a good noir. And not just the Pinot kind!

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2021 3:05 AM

R4, That's probably why they were shooting in Barcelona, which has a temperate Mediterranean climate like California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2021 5:42 AM

Part of this story is set in Ireland, too.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2021 5:51 AM

Please send a grease fire to the table of R1

Alan Cumming is fabulous.

The entire cast sounds enticing.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2021 6:07 AM

Vintage cars were on the streets of Manresa last week, and the exterior of the Catalan restaurant Miami was transformed into Schmidt's Liquor, while the building next door read "Bank of Bay City." Bay City is Raymond Chandler's pseudonym for Santa Monica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2021 6:21 AM

Only 3 reasons I'd watch the film: Lange, Huston & Cummins and they probably will all have only small roles.

Wasn't Liam Neeson cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2021 6:34 AM

A little snippet of a scene from the novel between Lange and Neeson’s characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2021 6:46 AM

Another snippet…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2021 6:48 AM

I love the word snippet. Well it sounds promising for sure. Neil Jordan can be great. Liam Neeson is beyond sexy.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2021 7:25 AM

Never realized it before but Jessica Lange and diane kruger actually look pretty similar enough to be believable as mother and daughter

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2021 9:34 AM

Neeson? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2021 11:05 AM

I’m ready, with my crotchless panties on.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2021 2:37 AM

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is so damn sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2021 2:44 AM

R18 He was delicious in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2021 2:51 AM

Liam is hot big nose and all

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2021 2:51 AM

Sad Lange Loon 🤡

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2021 2:52 AM

R20 I bet he’s got cock for days.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2021 2:52 AM

R21 Is that a Nicole Kidman emoji…?

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2021 2:57 AM

R22, he's pretty old. I wonder if it works?

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2021 12:35 AM

R24 I’d make it work…

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2021 5:19 AM

Diane Kruger is a nothing actress. I saw J.T. Leroy and I didn’t even know who she was.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2021 6:11 AM

R26, second movie with Liam. I wonder if they're lovers?

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2021 11:24 AM

There was a movie in the late 1960s called Marlowe with James Garner and DL anti-fave Rita Moreno, who I thought did a really good job. It wasn't as edgy as it really should have been, especially since it was based on the short story "Little Sister," which is grim.

I had assumed this was going to be a remake of that story but I'm glad to see it's not. Sounds more like the Gene Hackman Night Moves, so I'm seriously interested in watching this.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]In Marlowe, when private detective Philip Marlowe (Neeson) is hired to find the ex-lover of a glamorous heiress

Hmmph. If Liam Neeson isn't searching for his daughter, the film is not worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2021 11:34 AM

R26, Kruger is excellent as Marie Antoinette in Farewell My Queen (2012).

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2021 9:03 PM

Filming wrapped!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2021 6:36 AM

Is Lisa Mordente in this?

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2021 6:38 AM

Dec 2nd release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2022 5:46 AM

R14 snippet, snippet good.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2022 6:16 AM

You'd think they'd try to make this a franchise and select a younger actor besides the wooden, 70-yr. old Neeson, who has never lost his Irish brogue.

"Chandler is not consistent as to Marlowe's age. In The Big Sleep, set in 1936, Marlowe's age is given as 33, while in The Long Goodbye (set 14 years later), Marlowe is 42. In a letter to D. J. Ibberson of April 19, 1951, Chandler noted among other things that Marlowe is 38 years old and was born in Santa Rosa, California"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2022 7:07 AM

The film is premiering in competition at the San Sebastian International Film Festival later this month (Sept. 24):

Marlowe, directed by Neil Jordan and written by William Monahan, will have its world premiere at the closing gala of the San Sebastian International Film Festival (SSIFF, September 16-24).

Screening in official competition, Marlowe stars Liam Neeson as the titular private detective asked to hunt down the ex-lover of a mysterious blonde woman, played by Diane Kruger, in 1930’s Los Angeles. It is inspired by John Banville’s novel The Black-Eyed Blonde, based on the character of Philip Marlowe from the novels of Raymond Chandler.

Jessica Lange, Ian Hart, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Alan Cumming also star. Kruger will join Neeson and Jordan in attending SSIFF for the premiere on September 24.

The film is produced by Alan Moloney, Gary Levinsohn, Mark Fasano, Billy Hines, Philip Kim and Patrick Hibler. Filming took place in both Barcelona and Dublin in a co-production between Parallel Films, Hills Productions and Davis Films, with support from Screen Ireland.

Open Road Films has North American rights to Marlowe and is planning a theatrical release in December.

Jordan was previously president of SSIFF in 2019 and his film The Good Thief opened the festival in 2002.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2022 8:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!