Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘ETERNALS’ - I just watched it, & it had so much potential but… (WARNING SPOILERS)

Chloe Zhao really held the film back. I’m wondering who allowed her to Direct and Write the screenplay for this. The film does have some beautiful shots, colors, and it has incredible acting, but Zhao put the dialogue and love story forefront, the action was secondary.

I wanna give a shout-out to all the actors, who give too performances, but mostly to Angelina Jolie. There is a scene where Don Lee’s character is murdered and her breakdown was moving. The sounds of her crying were so real and sad. I was moved. Also, Richard Madden killed this. He also has a scene toward the end where he breaks down in tears, and he is incredible, with a red face, looking like he was almost in pain, as tears ran down his cheeks. Lovely performances. Also, I think this is the best he ever looked. He looks STRIKING in the movie. And I’m one of the people on here always saying he’s not that attractive, but in this, he looked a 10.

Gemma Chan is beautiful! She is striking throughout the film, but she was not a captivating lead. She does fine, but she just isn’t an interesting actress. She’s bland. Everyone else was better than her in ever scene. She just blended in more than anything, while she is the lead.

Salma Hayek, like Jolie, elevates her scenes with her performance.

The film actually starts off great, with a quick pace that works. By the middle of the film, it slows down drastically, with a good 30-40 minutes of just speaking scenes and flashbacks showing the love story between Ikaris (Richard Madden) and Sersi (Gemma Chan), and they are broken up in modern day and she is dating human Dane (Kit Harrington).

We see that the Eternals are sent to earth to kill the Deviants, creatures who kill humans and wipe out the earth. They are led by Ajak (Salma Hayek) and are there to kill deviants only, they can not interfere with human interactions. They kill all the deviants but are made to stay on earth for 7000 years. After Sersi, Ikaris and Sprite are attacked by a Deviant in modern day (after having killed them all 7000 years prior) they go to find Ajak (Salma Hayek), and find her murdered. The power that makes Ajak the leader is now transferred to Sersi, who takes over as leader, despite being the “weakest” and most soft. After this, they decide to travel around to find the rest of the team. That is when things get slow, with tons of speaking and flashbacks. I personally don’t mind that, but I know many young people won’t like it. The biggest highlight during these scenes is Kumail Nanjiani, and his assistant, who are used for comic relief.

I will leave it at that, if you have any questions, ask.

It’s a good movie with some beautiful shots and cinematography, but too slow, the action scenes mostly tame, and the love story the center of everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338June 5, 2022 2:22 AM

I hate breeder love stories.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2021 3:46 AM

The twist upset me OP.

Finding out Madden is actually the bad guy and set Hayek up to be murdered by the monsters was good, but the execution of him revealing it was underwhelming. And then making Sprite side with him? I get she was in love with him but please.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2021 3:47 AM

R1 it’s a complicated one. Madden and Chan were a couple and together for 5000 years before splitting. They haven’t seen each other since, until now, that they need to get back together because the monsters are coming back. There is a lot of them wanting each other and still being in love etc.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2021 3:51 AM

My biggest issue was after Madden is revealed to be the one who killed Hayek and is the bad guy. It makes sense that Sprite ran off with him because she was secretly in love with him but bitter that she was trapped in a girls body, making her envious of Chan, who had him wrapped around her finger.

What bothered me, however, was Kumail leaving the rest of the team hanging and ditching them after, not showing up for the final battle or anything. Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2021 3:59 AM

My theater loved the after credits scene, with Harry Styles. He looked so handsome too.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2021 4:06 AM

It's a very,, very peculiar sequel to Nomadland.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2021 4:19 AM

Been there, done that. Then I had to throw it away when I was done.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2021 4:24 AM

I liked it more than I thought I would but some things were just stupid. That entire ending was lame.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2021 4:56 AM

Wait! So Madden is the bad guy? Does he get killed in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2021 5:28 AM

R9 Arishem is like their God. He is who their leader (Salma Hayek) answers to, and they answer to her. After Hayek is killed and Chan is given the leadership power, she finds out 7000 years after they’re sent to earth that the reason they’re actually on earth isn’t to save it, it’s to preserve it for those years and then Arishem had the planet destroyed, killing everyone but the Eternals. Then an entire new planet is built and it’s a repeat cycle. Hayek, being the leader knows this, but never told the team. Madden comes to visit her and she tells him that she wants to defy Arishem and save the planet, because she feels humans deserve a chance. The world is filled with hate and anger and crimes, but it’s also filled with love and laughter and kindness etc. and she doesn’t wanna see humans destroyed after traveling the world over the course of 7000 years and seeing people. She feels changed.

Madden, knowing she was planning on saving the planet and defying their God (pretty much) leads her to her death, also because the leaders power passes on automatically to whoever they intended to pass it onto when they die. He assumed that she would want him to be the leader, but after killing her he waited by her dead body for the power to transfer to his body but it never did. She left it for someone else, Chan.

Later in the movie he loses it as the black gay one is coming up with a way to save the earth and reveals he is who killed Hayek, he will kill all of them if necessary if they try stopping the destruction of Earth. The final battle is him vs the rest of them, minus Sprite, the pre-teen girl, who joins him to destroy the world, not because she wants it destroyed, but because she’s in love with him. Also, Kumail is not in the final battle either, which was lame.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 5:45 AM

R9 and to clarify, the Eternals do not remember this repeat cycle of planets because it turns out they’re pretty much robots Arishem created, which is why they don’t die or age. After the planet is destroyed they’re all taken by him and he erases their memories and they start from scratch again when a new planet is formed with life on it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2021 5:49 AM

Sprite was actually my favorite character in the movie OP. She was awesome, until the end that is. But I understood her story of wanting someone she could never have.

Actually, the smaller characters within the team were all pretty awesome. The Asian guy who ends up dying was badass.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2021 7:14 AM

R12 the actress did a great job. She was spunky and cute.

Here is Sprite 101 lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2021 7:18 AM

I also loved Druig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2021 7:21 AM

Does this convoluted plot come from the comic books or is it all just written for the movie?

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2021 7:35 AM

Don't you all feel slightly uncomfortable sitting in a theatre full of kiddies?

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2021 7:35 AM

Something about Richard in the blue costume is so hot, coupled with his Irish accent. Froy is a lucky twink slut.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2021 7:38 AM

Also that whole sprite is in love with ikarus was beyond creepy, who greenlit that trash?

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2021 7:39 AM

R17 Richard was way hotter when he was younger... now it's up to the makeup and lighting.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2021 7:45 AM

R19 Also think is movie magic, he doesn't look anywhere near as hot as he does in the movie in real life, he's even str8 up fug in some pictures.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2021 7:47 AM

This sounds like another Zack Snyder Justice League fiasco where the director delivered a four hour film and had to whittle it down which is why characters just disappear with no resolution.

The plot sounds did stupid and I think these heroes probably weren’t worth a big screen adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2021 8:35 AM

R18 Can't a young Fräulein be smitten with an older man without it being called creepy?

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2021 10:51 AM

R22 Not in fucking pedowood

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2021 1:59 PM

R16 my theater didn’t have many kiddies. Some teens but most of the audience were adults. Actually, I was shocked, a lot of white middle aged couples came to see this. In my mind Angelina Jolie is attracting some different people.

A couple walked out when they showed two men kiss later in the film, but besides that it was almost all adults.

This film isn’t a kid film. It’s character driven, not plot driven.

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2021 2:24 PM

Too diverse for some countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2021 2:37 PM

Why did they let a chick direct this?

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2021 2:38 PM

R26 Diversity!

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2021 2:41 PM

Sprite being in love with Ikaris wasn’t creepy at all. The point was that she was bitter and angry because they don’t physically age and are trapped in their bodies forever, however mentally and emotionally they age and evolve. She was 7000 years old, still looking like a kid, but she had evolved and grown mentally into a woman centuries ago. She was bitter about it.

On another note, it’s very common for teen girls to crush on hot older men.

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2021 2:43 PM

Where's James Cameron when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2021 2:45 PM

How sad and disgusting that a film being diverse has some so upset.

R25 actually, it’s not playing there because of the gay character.

by Anonymousreply 30November 5, 2021 2:45 PM

It's insincere diversity. That's the disgusting part.

No respect for the source material.

by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2021 2:48 PM

The source material was written at a time when almost every single hero was depicted as white. I’m happy they made a team of different people working together vs 100% white. How ridiculous. We aren’t in the 60s anymore. Get over it.

The gay character is what is keeping many places from showing it. Not a black and white person working together. That’s been showing in most of these movies.

by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2021 3:11 PM

The token Asian female director was in way over her head.

She ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2021 3:12 PM

I remember there was some hype article that said this movie was a longshot for an Oscar... I was like, in what universe?

by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2021 3:18 PM

The cinematography is beautiful, and many beautiful shots that if you made stills could be art pieces. It’s a visual achievement.

The story was good, it was the execution.

They should have gotten someone who has experience making action films with a bunch of characters, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

But the use of characters wasn’t the issue (minus Kumail) it was the long quieter scenes and the lack of action scenes in the middle. There are a lot of quiet moments.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2021 3:27 PM

Lmao at the white KKK members on here failing to realize the film is not being shown in some places because of the gay couple with a son, and them shown kissing. They think it’s because the team has…

Four White Characters

Two Black Characters

Two Asian Characters

One Mexican Character

As if every Marvel movie doesn’t have diverse casts.

It’s the gay holding this one back, dears.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2021 3:37 PM

No, it's the lackluster directing that's killing it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 5, 2021 3:38 PM

I think R36 was referring to why it isn’t being shown in middle eastern countries, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38November 5, 2021 3:44 PM

R38 - Got it!

by Anonymousreply 39November 5, 2021 3:47 PM

I have only watched Dr. Strange so far as I'm never hyped for comic book movies but I'm gonna watch this for Angelina and Salma. Also, those deviants' character design is so tacky like fucking dinosaurs. A humanoid design would have actually seemed more fitting and sinister. Anyway, thanks for the review, OP. I, for one, thought DL would absolutely shit steamy turd on this one.

by Anonymousreply 40November 5, 2021 4:03 PM

R40 I feel critics are being overly critical with this one. It’s not groundbreaking or even great storytelling but it’s no worse than some other Marvel movies that were overly praised.

My biggest gripe was the pacing. It was uneven. The first 30-40 minutes run super smooth. Then you have 30-40 minutes where it slows drastically. Then a fight scene. Then slower again until the final battle.

The acting was good and I think Hayek and Jolie’s performances are attracting people who normally wouldn’t go see this.

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2021 4:12 PM

Disney probably gave Zhao too much of a free rein with this movie. It has the resources to hire people to tighten the script or edit out the bloat in the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2021 4:18 PM

Zhao not only directed, but they hired her to co-write the screenplay. They gave her too much power too fast.

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2021 4:29 PM

Zhao is the new Ava DuVernay.

(aka a no-talent affirmative action woke hire.)

by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2021 4:33 PM

They miscasted Sersi, it should have been Jolie. Sersi in comics is not this loving, compassionate. Sersi is a dynamic character, and had Jolie played it, it would have been way more dynamics and elevated the material.

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2021 4:34 PM

But Jolie was perfectly cast as Thena. She also took the part because she was top paid with one of the supporting roles.

She is the coveted “and” spot.

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2021 4:45 PM

The changed the Sersi character. They do this often in film adaptations.

They also changed one of the heroes powers all together

by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2021 4:46 PM

Oh I forgot Kumail’s character.

4 white characters

2 black characters (with one being gay)

2 Asian characters

1 Mexican character

1 Pakistani character (and he may be gay also)

by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2021 5:00 PM

No differently-abled characters?

This is bullshit. I'm VERY upset.

by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2021 5:01 PM

Isn't there a deaf character?

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2021 5:02 PM

Pakistanis are Asians dear R48

by Anonymousreply 51November 5, 2021 5:05 PM

R51 yes, but South Asians and East Asians are different. That’s why I separated him.

by Anonymousreply 52November 5, 2021 5:17 PM

R50 yes, the black chick is deaf (and awesome). I loved her.

by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2021 5:18 PM

R52, South or East they are still Asians. Even Israelis are Asians, Geography 101. Native Americans are so different from the Irish American Settlers, do you call Native Americans non-Americans too?

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2021 5:22 PM

Ugh for fucks sake none of this is canon. None of it. I fucking hate when they just take decades of storytelling and go "What if we did this?" Fucking Bryan Singer level fuckery. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2021 5:23 PM

R54 again, they’re within the same continent, but they’re not the same.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2021 5:27 PM

R54 You're splitting hairs. Asians can imply different meanings based on geography and race/culture. It's kind of like thinking of the Middle East as its own continent even though its geographically a part of Asia.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2021 5:30 PM

Brown, not yellow.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2021 5:32 PM

Yes, but if you say Asian to people most people are gonna picture a Chinese or Korean person, not a Pakistani person. There is a reason the term “Middle Eastern” became a thing, to differentiate.

by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2021 5:37 PM

Shout out to Kit Harrington, who looked super sexy in this. He was so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 60November 5, 2021 6:06 PM

R60 How big is his role?

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2021 6:10 PM

How big is his shtrungool?

by Anonymousreply 62November 5, 2021 6:21 PM

Does Kit interact with Richard in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 63November 5, 2021 6:30 PM

R61 small, hes the modern day love interest to Gemma Chan. I liked that they reversed roles for this one.

He’s in love with her and wants her to move in with him, but she won’t. He is always asking her what she is because he knows she is not a normal human because he’s seen weird things happen. He tells her all the stories Sprite keeps telling him about her past and her former hubby, who can fly and shoot laser beams out of his eyes but she claims he was a pilot a few years prior.

A Deviant shows up and attacks him, Sersi and Sprite while they’re out, and Sprite is about to get killed when Madden shows up and saves the day.

Ikaris, Sersi and Sprite wonder why the Deviants are back and realize they need to get the entire group together again.

Harrington introduces himself to Madden, with his chest puffed out because he realizes this is the flying Ex Sprite told him about, but Madden is unimpressed. Harrington makes a comment to Chan about him just being a “Pilot” and you don’t see him again until later when him and Chan are FaceTiming and then finally during the films final scene. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 5, 2021 6:53 PM

Gurls, I recommend going to see it. They show a gay kiss and included a gay character knowing they would get banned in a lot of countries for it.

Let’s not let them crash and burn.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2021 7:16 PM

I am not a Marvels fan at all, however I wanted to see the film because of the cast. I liked the film and I read none of the spoilers online. I'm glad I went in with fresh eyes. The visuals were stunning...I'm a bit bias because I've been to Fuerteventura and it a beautiful island. I am glad I stayed seated and didn't leave the cinema or I would have missed the surprise endings.

by Anonymousreply 66November 5, 2021 7:28 PM

I don't want to support another Disney cash grab.

by Anonymousreply 67November 5, 2021 7:32 PM

R19 most people look better while younger

by Anonymousreply 68November 5, 2021 7:36 PM

R67 aren’t ALL Hollywood movies cash grabs?

by Anonymousreply 69November 5, 2021 7:46 PM

I’m sure the actors are really depending on the OP’s “shout out.”

If a shout falls in the Datalounge and Muriel and Boris are the only ones listening, did it make a sound?

by Anonymousreply 70November 5, 2021 7:56 PM

R70 fuck off. I’m just saying.

by Anonymousreply 71November 5, 2021 8:23 PM

Honestly, Madden looks great in this. Super lean muscle, which goes well with him, and the light hair color with the gray streak… sexy.

He loves to dye his hair dark, and it doesn’t go with him.

by Anonymousreply 72November 5, 2021 8:24 PM

Going to see it again tonight

by Anonymousreply 73November 5, 2021 10:12 PM

R72 Sexier than Bodyguard!Madden?

by Anonymousreply 74November 6, 2021 1:22 AM

R74 I find him much sexier in this

by Anonymousreply 75November 6, 2021 2:01 AM

Saw it, it was bland and shit. Also 3 hours too long.

by Anonymousreply 76November 6, 2021 2:03 AM

R76 you didn’t see it

by Anonymousreply 77November 6, 2021 2:07 AM

I decided to go watch it again tonight with my friend and the movie up to the final 30 minutes is actually good. I liked it so much more on a second viewing, but that flawed final battle stuck out to me even more. Ugh. It’s ridiculous.

It was SO GOOD at times.

Idk how this got so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 78November 6, 2021 2:50 AM

I saw it tonight in IMAX and enjoyed the shit out of it. I thought the whole cast was great. I am thinking of seeing it again on shrooms.

by Anonymousreply 79November 6, 2021 3:29 AM

R67 I dont either and I find Chloe ,daughter of some corrupted Polit guy, distasteful. BUT They are putting gays in, we need any support we can get for the upcoming onslaught. So I am going even though I hate that Sersi is basically Chloe insert living out her GOT romance dream.

by Anonymousreply 80November 6, 2021 3:34 AM

Wtf does Chloe have to do with GOT?

by Anonymousreply 81November 6, 2021 3:55 AM

She is obviously stanning GOT R81, Robb Stark and Jon Snow fighting over her is what creams her pants

by Anonymousreply 82November 6, 2021 3:58 AM

R82 ummm doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 83November 6, 2021 4:04 AM

R77 Uh yes I did dumb nuts, angoolooney is a s crazy as she is in real life. Attacking her friends like she keeps attacking her ex husband because she's a bitter crazy bitch. Salma gets thrown off a cliff and those stupid cgi dogs drain her dry and richard flies into the sun like he flies into froyos butthole at the end. And the big giant stupid robot takes the ones that remained on earth for judgment.

by Anonymousreply 84November 6, 2021 4:05 AM

All these movies need to die, now. The franchise has ruined cinema.

by Anonymousreply 85November 6, 2021 4:08 AM

Does anyone shit in a bucket?

by Anonymousreply 86November 6, 2021 4:08 AM

Well critics are fed up to, has a 49 percent wich is deserved. These trash movies will hopefully not get a pass anymore by ceitics.

by Anonymousreply 87November 6, 2021 4:12 AM

This is better than many of the ones that got amazing reviews

by Anonymousreply 88November 6, 2021 4:14 AM

R84 looked up details online and now believes he watched it.

Maybe you should. Or just stop commenting

by Anonymousreply 89November 6, 2021 4:16 AM

Madden gives a movie star making performance

by Anonymousreply 90November 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Why are they all thousands of years old, but then there’s one that is a teenager?

by Anonymousreply 91November 6, 2021 4:20 AM

R91 they’re all the age they were when created. They don’t age. Hence them all looking exactly the same 7000 years later.

by Anonymousreply 92November 6, 2021 4:22 AM

Does Madden’s character have the gay scene?

by Anonymousreply 93November 6, 2021 4:23 AM

R87 And we are fed up with your shitty typing and grammar proficiency.

by Anonymousreply 94November 6, 2021 4:24 AM

R92 So they all are thousands of years old, but one looks like a teen, then there’s not anything inappropriate going on age wise, why are people com0laining?

by Anonymousreply 95November 6, 2021 4:26 AM

Omg r93 no. As stated upthread, the gay one is the black one. Madden and Chan were a couple for 5000 years before she left him. He still wants her

by Anonymousreply 96November 6, 2021 4:26 AM

R89 Keep shilling shill, this is not winning any awards like Disney hoped it would, well I'm sure it'll win some razzles. 🥴

by Anonymousreply 97November 6, 2021 4:28 AM

No one thinks it’s winning awards r97. That doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 98November 6, 2021 4:31 AM

R98 Nice try, the dolts wanted this crap to be an awards contender. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 99November 6, 2021 4:33 AM

R99 and even if it isn’t that, many of us still enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 100November 6, 2021 4:35 AM

R91 I guess their body is just their meat suit. She got stuck with the small one.

by Anonymousreply 101November 6, 2021 4:39 AM

Another movie where the white guy is the bad guy. Yawn. Woke culture is so cliche.

by Anonymousreply 102November 6, 2021 5:09 AM

R102 And defeated by a gang of non-whites! How dare Disney!

by Anonymousreply 103November 6, 2021 5:14 AM

So, because the director is Asian, she picked the Asian actress to be the lead, which then would seem to make it more marketable to the Asian market, especially China, which Disney seems obsessed to bend over backwards and take it up the ass from, but the the director is blacklisted in China. None of that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 104November 6, 2021 5:18 AM

R104 Well, that can't be the only reason since Disney should have known Zhao was persona non grata in China for a while. Casting Chan also works to appease woke culture and some above thinks it's Zhao Mary-Sueing herself into her own movie.

by Anonymousreply 105November 6, 2021 5:25 AM

I’ve liked Gemma on that Humans show where she plays a sentient robot, which seems perfect for her acting abilities, perhaps one even might say typecasting, but has she even been in a movie before, I just know TV stuff? In not, why was it presumed she could carry a major franchise movie, wouldn’t maybe someone from Dirty Rich Asians been better like that Akwafina girl people seem so hot on? That movie made a lot of money and had many actresses in key parts?

by Anonymousreply 106November 6, 2021 5:38 AM

For some reason I was avoiding spoilers for this movie.

Then I realized I don’t care because the discussion of this movie is more interesting than the actual movie.

And I don’t think I’ve ever been interesting in seeing it.

I would be glad if this was the end of the stupid Marvel movies.

It’s time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 107November 6, 2021 7:02 AM

R107 The end of the stupid Marvel movies? Not while evil Disney is still around!

by Anonymousreply 108November 6, 2021 7:05 AM

I can't believe people get so defensive about these movies...

by Anonymousreply 109November 6, 2021 7:29 AM

So Madden gets killed at the end? At least Froy got HP2 out of it.

by Anonymousreply 110November 6, 2021 8:21 AM

I agree with most reviews. The pacing was def off through the middle. I feel like all of the scenes worked on some level, but there were just too damn many of them.

I was kind of sick of everybody crying by the end. And while I think all of the jokes landed TECHNICALLY, I was also tired of the sarcasm by the end. Like…just get to the battle.

Barry Keoghan is one of the ugliest humans I’ve even seen in film.

I am disappointed they didn’t explicitly link Shang-Chi’s rings to the Eternals though. They could end up being one of Phastos’s creations, but they didn’t confirm that. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 111November 6, 2021 8:48 AM

Unclench OP it's just part one. These things come in threes.

by Anonymousreply 112November 6, 2021 9:14 AM

Should have made Madden the gay character.

by Anonymousreply 113November 6, 2021 9:24 AM

The infantilization of society continues.

by Anonymousreply 114November 6, 2021 2:16 PM

The only thing the same about the Eternals in Marvel comics and this movie is the name. Ajak was a man, Sprite was a boy, Sersi was not deaf. God this is just a terrible story creation. Why even call it the Eternals? It should be called "look at this shit I made up."

Ikaris was never a bad guy. Ever. I do not get why they do this. Literally, have decades of story to choose from and the go "I oh no we can do better than that." Fuck this shitty movie.

by Anonymousreply 115November 6, 2021 2:25 PM

R115 all movie adaptations change shit. Get over it. Black widow was just a spy in the comics, not what the movies made her, but everyone stays quiet. They’ve fucked around with Hulk too much.

Sersi isn’t deaf in this dear….

Zhao didn’t cast Gemma Chan. Gemma (and others) spoke about the casting process. Gemma Chan was in Captain Marvel, and the casting behind that one contacted her and offered her another role in a new Marvel movie. They envisioned her in the part and felt she was perfect. She hesitated to do it because it would be a bigger role and she didn’t want that pressure, but she went to meetings etc. and then took the part.

The role was given to her by Studio Execs. That’s what happens when you are likable and reliable.

R106 she was is Crazy Rich Asians, and the most popular character to come out of it with women, besides Awkwafina. They were thinking of focusing the sequels on her character.

Awkwafina was just in Shang-Chi, why would she be in Eternals?

by Anonymousreply 116November 6, 2021 2:50 PM

Disney has taken so many liberties with the Marvel characters, I don’t know how anyone can complain about it anymore. Shit has been changed since the beginning.

And the liberties taken here make sense. If they didn’t the team would be almost all males and all white. Get a grip. I know you long for the days of all whiteness and men being the lead of everything, but times have changed. Also, to that freak bitching, I bet you didn’t even know who the Eternals were before the movie. Please stop acting like you were some fan and heartbroken. You’re full of shit.

You also claim you saw the movie but you didn’t. How about get off the thread?

by Anonymousreply 117November 6, 2021 2:54 PM

We don’t know if Ikaris is dead. He flew into the sun. But for all we know he will only evolve now.

And it made perfect sense for him to go slightly mad. He was the strongest and knew it and prided himself in it. Going back centuries you could tell he felt he should be the one leading the team. He tries telling Ajak that they shouldn’t split and she quickly reminds him not to forget his place. He’s not the leader, she is. And he belittled Sersi when she was the leader. He thought for sure by killing Ajak he would become the head, but she didn’t want him to. When things weren’t going how HE wanted them to, he went mad and tried making sure it did.

But it didn’t. Good. And then he flew off into the sun.

by Anonymousreply 118November 6, 2021 2:58 PM

Can we also point out that there wasn’t a gay character in the comics either, but that psycho doesn’t even complain about that liberty taken…

by Anonymousreply 119November 6, 2021 3:02 PM

r116 r117 Liberties yes, full out changing of cannon? No. Just an FYI - Thanos was an Eternal. HIs father was Mentor, a group of Eternals who left earth long ago and populated Titan, Saturn's moon. The character they have for Harry Styles is Thanos's brother, Starfox.

There are more Celsitals than Arshem. The lore is that the Celestials would take the population of a planet and create 100 eternals and 100 deviants. If the deviants influenced the planet they would destroy it, if the Eternals did, they would spare it. Thanos was such a huge part of Avengers, to just erase any connection to the Eternals is asinine. This whole 7000 years plot line is just bullshit. Don't you think the Ancient one would know or Dr. Strange that every 7000 years the planet is wiped out? Or Thor or Odin or Loki? You know the Immortal gods might have a clue? Fucking bs writing.

by Anonymousreply 120November 6, 2021 3:02 PM

It's just a stupid comic book.

Grow up, people.

by Anonymousreply 121November 6, 2021 3:04 PM

R120 source material is changed ALL THE TIME. Nebula is the one who snapped her fingers in the comics, not Tony. Tony didn’t die. Maria Hill played a big role in the Civil War story, completely left out of the movie. Black Widow wasn’t an Avenger until recent years… we can keep going. The only things they changed were the skin color of characters and one of their sexuality (but you’re happy about that one, right?).

You can’t stick to the comics from a time of sexism and racism. Time to erase that. And Marvel hasn’t stuck to source material ever. Tell me a single movie where they didn’t change shit. Please.

Taking liberties = Changing shit. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 122November 6, 2021 3:07 PM

R120 YOU THINK THEY CAN MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT 100 FUCKING ETERNALS? USE YOUR BRAIN. JESUS. HOW IS THAT GONNA WORK IN THE MOVIE?

by Anonymousreply 123November 6, 2021 3:08 PM

Imagine thinking a movie about 100 Eternals would work.

by Anonymousreply 124November 6, 2021 3:27 PM

Is it me or does anyone else feel the obsessiveness of the audience for there’s films is a bit much to much?

by Anonymousreply 125November 6, 2021 3:34 PM

So they made a movie about reimagined Eternals with a plot that didn't make any better sense than the source material. That's hardly an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 126November 6, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]even though I hate that Sersi is basically Chloe insert living out her GOT romance dream.

[quote]She is obviously stanning GOT [R81], Robb Stark and Jon Snow fighting over her is what creams her pants

These two can fuck right off. As someone noted above, it wasn't Chloe's decision to cast Gemma. Zhao a serious filmmaker with a fucking Oscar. What's with this bullshit of trying to portray her as some silly frau living out a fantasy? Its obvious by some of these posts the toxic trash have shown up, little boys who can't handle that a woman was given this much power to direct one of their beloved comic book stories.

[quote] Madden gives a movie star making performance

No, he doesn't. That's not a knock, though. I enjoyed him in the film and what he was trying to do - although the tears at the end felt a bit histrionic for the character - but the cast felt like a true ensemble. No one was 'the star'. Even Gemma Chan, who is ostensibly carrying the lead role as the film hinges on her actions and she is in the bulk of the scenes, did not really feel like the star of it. The group dynamics were definitely the strongest parts of the film.

It's a comic book movie, for fuck's sake, its not meant to be taken so seriously. I usually avoid these at all costs but I appreciated that she tried to do something cosmically interesting with it. I enjoyed it a shit ton more than Edgar Wright's Last Night In Soho.

by Anonymousreply 127November 6, 2021 3:48 PM

R127 agree about it being better than Last Night In Soho, which upset me more than anything.

I actually like this movie, and like that it felt different from other Comic Book movies, but the final battle didn’t work.

And I disagree about certain people not standing out over others. Angelina Jolie is too big a star with a massive presence to be in an ensemble. Any scene with her, she stood out, even if not on purpose. And Madden was top tier.

His tears at the end felt real. I think it all was sinking in what he just did and that’s why he says I’m sorry, before flying off into the sun.

by Anonymousreply 128November 6, 2021 4:02 PM

The comic was never about 100 eternals....it was just about the ones in the movie. The things you mentioned were little changes but not canon. The Avengers came together because of Loki, in the comics and the movies. Banner became Hulk buy a gamma bomb. Tony created is armor and had a robo heart. Cap was frozen and thawed in public. Widow has been an avenger on and off since the 1980s. Nebula was Thanos's granddaughter not adopted daughter in the comics...The point is in almost every Marvel Movie they have at least stuck to the basic canon. Not this one. All they have are the pieces, not the basic story. They are literally cut out of the MCU with zero ties. No tie to Thanos, No back story with asguard, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 129November 6, 2021 7:27 PM

[quote]His tears at the end felt real. I think it all was sinking in what he just did and that’s why he says I’m sorry, before flying off into the sun.

And I didn't buy them. I was more intrigued by the idea that he was a soldier doing his duty which put him at odds with the rest, some of whom had ties to the humans of the world they didn't want destroyed. An argument could be made that his character was in the right, and more selfless than the others. I didn't think the character needed to feel bad, as he didn't play emotional for the entire span of the film. If anything, his tears are meant for his true love, which I didn't really feel, either.

Those of you knocking Brian Tyree Henry though, for being the 'fat' gay one - he was awesome. That dude can act rings around Madden. He brought a real warmth to his part of the film and I also adored that he was the genius of the group. Call me a Mary all you want, but when he kisses his son, and then kisses his husband right before leaving knowing he might not succeed in saving them, I got really emotional. You could feel his desperation in wanting to protect his family.

And to R128, while Angelina brought a real grace and weight to her role, I thought it was the interplay with Gilgamesh that made those two characters stand out. Really loved that relationship. Don Lee had great chemistry with her.

by Anonymousreply 130November 6, 2021 8:19 PM

The movie is one space away from winning DL Trigger Bingo

by Anonymousreply 131November 6, 2021 8:48 PM

R130 okay you’re reaching beyond belief. The love story between Sersi and Ikaris was lovely, and she is why he broke down. He didn’t apologize to everyone, he apologized TO HER and her only.

by Anonymousreply 132November 6, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] Is it me or does anyone else feel the obsessiveness of the audience for there’s films is a bit much to much?

R125 I mean, just look at this thread. LOL!

What gets me is how much of the criticism I've come across (not here so much, but def elsewhere) is that it's all just some thinly veiled '-ism' or '-phobia' to the director, or ensemble, or subject matter...not that the film may have legitimate flaws or just really isn't that good. The Richard Madden fanblogs are having a field day.

by Anonymousreply 133November 7, 2021 2:19 AM

R133 where are those? I’ve never liked him much and find him ridiculously overrated in both talent and looks, until I watched this. He was phenomenal in this, and it made me a fan, sorta. On top of that, he looked INCREDIBLE in this. I’ve always found his looks so hyped up, but in this I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him! He looked strikingly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 134November 7, 2021 2:41 AM

Go ahead, spill! I don’t watch those movies.

by Anonymousreply 135November 7, 2021 2:57 AM

There were two scenes that broke my heart. The first, when Gilgamesh dies and Thena breaks down in tears. Angelina Jolie’s acting was so lovely in that scene, followed by two beautiful scenes, the one with the “funeral”, of sorts, and then the scene with Thena putting his ashes into the water. Everything about those scenes was perfect, from the acting to the cinematography to the score. You could hear some people sniffling after her breakdown.

The second, after the final battle, Ikaris, who just tried destroying the world and killing his peers, stops in silence, just looking around and seeing how Sersi just killed the Centinneal and saving the world, then he looks at Sersi in her eyes and he falls to his knees, tears rushing down his face, his face red, his face with a look of pain. Sersi walks over to him slowly, her eyes red, and he looks at her in her eyes and says “I’m sorry” while crying. Madden really surprised me in those final moments as Ikaris, he was truly superb. We are supposed to have bad feelings toward Ikaris by that point, and I wanted them to beat his ass but there was no hate there. Madden was lovely.

The film is actually quite good! It is the final battle that falls flat though, but everything that led up to it and the aftermath of it was great.

The ending implied there is more to Kit Harrington’s character and his role will be much larger moving forward.

by Anonymousreply 136November 7, 2021 3:02 AM

Also, the score to this one is good! I loved the “Eternals Theme”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 7, 2021 3:12 AM

PS I meant Celestials

by Anonymousreply 138November 7, 2021 3:18 AM

R137 I love their theme, but the score deserves an Oscar nomination just for this one. This is beautiful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139November 7, 2021 3:20 AM

Featurette of all of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 7, 2021 3:33 AM

I just saw Eternals last night and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The cinematography, acting, and special effects were all top-notch (was really surprised at how effective Angelina Jolie was as Thena). I would easily put it in my top 5 along with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnorak, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Unfortunately, the things that bugged me were enough to keep it from being great.

Gemma Chan is pretty, but she managed to have zero chemistry with both her love interests. I felt more passion between the fast runner/possessor guy and Thena and Gilgamesh…the main love story was 0% effective.

Also, is Phantos so smart he figured out a way to conceive a child with he and his husband’s DNA? The little fat biracial son was a heavy-handed touch.

by Anonymousreply 141November 7, 2021 3:33 AM

R141 I assumed the son was biologically the attractive husbands kid. The kid was cute.

See, I felt the passion from Ikaris. The issue was Gemma played Sersi distant and she had a coldness to her when it came to the love interests.

by Anonymousreply 142November 7, 2021 3:43 AM

The plot of Eternals is the same as Steven Universe… but the latter has fun lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 7, 2021 4:05 AM

I really hope this gives Madden the movie career he was hoping it would give him.

by Anonymousreply 144November 7, 2021 4:18 AM

This movie was a piece of shit. Those lamenting the cinematography and special effects haven't been to a movie since Star Wars.

Highlights: Richard Madden Highlights: imagining Richard Madden fucking Froy highlights: Richard Madden's chest chair peaking out of all of his costumes

Mediumlights; Kit Harrington in all his scenes

Lowlights: The soon to be lesbian Sprite. lowlights: the fat Asian who can't act his way out of a paper bag Lowlights: Angelina agreeing to anything but the lead

Tragic: the cheap special effects tragic: Chloe Zao having an academy award winning director in front her name

by Anonymousreply 145November 7, 2021 4:19 AM

Angelina agreed to do it BECAUSE she wasn’t the lead yet received the biggest paycheck in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 146November 7, 2021 4:21 AM

Sprite is very much a HIGHLIGHT.

Anyways.

Madden was hoping this would help his Hollywood movie career take off like Marvel movies have some others. I hope it works out for him. He really gave an incredible performance and looked great.

I see he only has one upcoming project. Hopefully he’s in talks to do other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 147November 7, 2021 4:31 AM

I was just thinking for DLers who are not comic book movie fans, imagining Richard Madden fucking Froy is the only way to get through this movie.

by Anonymousreply 148November 7, 2021 4:32 AM

Aw Sprite’s pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 7, 2021 4:37 AM

R146 With the kind of star power she has, I'm sure her agent pulled no punches in negotiating top money contract despite the size of her role. And besides her, the rest of the cast just pales. Kit, Madden, Kumail, Salma, they may be big names but they're not like Robert Downey Jr., ScarJo, The Chrises, Henry Cavill as part of an ensemble in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 150November 7, 2021 4:42 AM

Salma received the second biggest paycheck. She probably had the least screen time in the film.

Angelina stuck out too much.

by Anonymousreply 151November 7, 2021 4:45 AM

Is Sprite non-binary?

by Anonymousreply 152November 7, 2021 5:10 AM

Who is Froy ?

by Anonymousreply 153November 7, 2021 5:24 AM

R153 Madden’s roommate

by Anonymousreply 154November 7, 2021 5:33 AM

Sprite is a 7000 year old trapped in a 13 year old girls body for eternity. She is STRAIGHT as she wants Madden’s Cock but can’t have it and envy’s Gemma Chan because she’s getting his cock and Harrington’s.

by Anonymousreply 155November 7, 2021 5:35 AM

OK, but are Sprites binary or non-binary then?

by Anonymousreply 156November 7, 2021 5:44 AM

R153 Madden's 23 year old (met at 21) "actor pal".

by Anonymousreply 157November 7, 2021 5:50 AM

R156 Sprite is whatever you want him/her/them to be.

by Anonymousreply 158November 7, 2021 5:02 AM

Omg I’m in this FB Marvel group and there have been a few people losing it over the gay kiss. PS every one of them white.

by Anonymousreply 159November 7, 2021 5:44 AM

I didn't hear a single reaction when Phastos and his husband kissed, but people lost their shit when a certain (surprisingly hot) pop star appeared on screen.

by Anonymousreply 160November 7, 2021 9:44 AM

Ariande Grande?

by Anonymousreply 161November 7, 2021 10:00 AM

Have a feeling that no matter how bad the movie is, it will still probably make plenty of money as people seem to just eat up these movies regardless.

by Anonymousreply 162November 7, 2021 11:03 AM

Forget the gay kiss... the most shocking moment was Richard thrusting into Gemma. Not that I had a problem with it. It was just surprising for a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 163November 7, 2021 12:21 PM

I think the gay kiss will have less effect on people in certain areas than others.

It’s probably going to offend a lot less people in LA or NYC than it will someone in Indiana or Arkansas.

And with that there are still homophobes in major cities. But they tend to know how to keep It to themselves more.

by Anonymousreply 164November 7, 2021 1:13 PM

The dominance of this marvel shit is just a sign people are desperate for some kind of communal experience. Because our culture overemphasizes diversity and disconnection at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 165November 7, 2021 1:22 PM

Diversity is never ever even acknowledged in the movie. This is what I liked about it. They all look different from each other but not once is it brought up, not once is it acknowledged “you’re white, I’m not” or anything like that.

They all just lived and worked together and went about life with each other. Color, race, sexuality, none of that was a matter to any of them.

It’s the people watching making it a thing. It’s not a thing in the movie. The movie shows a group of different people working together and they’re stronger together than separate.

by Anonymousreply 166November 7, 2021 1:31 PM

At least there are people defending the gay kiss to bigots 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 7, 2021 1:33 PM

R150 but during the time of The Avengers ScarJo, Evans, Hemsworth and even Ruffalo weren’t big stars. That’s the movie that really took their careers off.

They were working steadily but that is what made them household names, because the first Thor and CA films were modest hits. Barely big “blockbusters”.

Renner gained the most from these movies for sure.

by Anonymousreply 168November 7, 2021 1:48 PM

I really can’t get over how fucking hot Madden looks in this. 🥵 like damn boy. If Froy really is getting that, he is one lucky bitch.

by Anonymousreply 169November 7, 2021 1:51 PM

There are people online who seem to be sympathetic to the Ikaris character, and I feel Madden’s performance plays a big part in why instead of hating that character, you almost feel bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 170November 7, 2021 1:52 PM

Me no likey likey.

by Anonymousreply 171November 7, 2021 4:11 PM

Money in the bank...the sequel is coming...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 7, 2021 4:52 PM

Yes, it exceeded expectations. They thought it would make around $80-$100 million worldwide opening weekend, especially with some countries banning it. I think they’re happy right now.

Imagine if it opened everywhere it was supposed to. Could be $200 million

by Anonymousreply 173November 7, 2021 4:54 PM

These are numbers without China...if China didn't have such a hatred for Chloe Zhao the box office would have been massive.

by Anonymousreply 174November 7, 2021 5:13 PM

R174 they won’t show the gay scene either though. So even if they didn’t hate Zhao, they would have made an issue about the gay scene and wanted it cut out too. But they tend to cut it out themselves.

Not to mention all the Middle Eastern countries that banned it. Would have been massive.

by Anonymousreply 175November 7, 2021 5:16 PM

China prefers Timothee and Bond over this woke revisionist fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 176November 7, 2021 5:19 PM

R176 you need help. It’s getting banned for the gay character. Not POC, which every marvel movie has.

You’re so bitter.

by Anonymousreply 177November 7, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote] Even Israelis are Asians, Geography 101.

They're not, they're middle-easterners. Tell my grandpa, an Israeli Jew born in a kibbutz he's Asian and he'll tell you to fuck off shiksa.

by Anonymousreply 178November 7, 2021 6:06 PM

R178 I ignored that comment on purpose. They’re an idiot b

by Anonymousreply 179November 7, 2021 6:07 PM

Disney has agreed to censor the “intimate” scenes for Middle Eastern countries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 7, 2021 6:17 PM

Viewers are liking it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2021 6:19 PM

Eternals has been reviewed bombed on IMDB, receiving hundreds 1-star reviews from users criticizing the movie's LGBTQ+ representation, despite not having watched the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 7, 2021 6:23 PM

I’m crushing on Madden after watching this.

by Anonymousreply 183November 7, 2021 7:35 PM

No sequels will be made for this

This has long been in development and was greenlit when they didn't have the rights to X-Men and this was their alternative.

Yes, they'll make some money from this, but other than picking up some Cinematography Oscars and using some of the characters in upcoming projects, Marvel/Disney has now wisely moved on and concentrated on creating X-Men projects.

by Anonymousreply 184November 7, 2021 9:31 PM

The characters will be seen again, especially Angelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 185November 7, 2021 9:35 PM

Are Thena and Thanos related?

by Anonymousreply 186November 7, 2021 11:55 PM

I’m glad the film is making money 💰They did $161 mil with the gay kiss included. Doesn’t matter if the sensors cut it now in certain shithole countries. Everybody knows it came out with the gay kiss and it didn’t fail. More movies will follow and the backward countries will look even more ridiculous for trying to sensor progress.

by Anonymousreply 187November 8, 2021 12:18 AM

We can’t say that yet r187. A lot of people went in not knowing there was a gay kiss. We will see if second weekend holds or drops like crazy.

Shang-Chi had legs. Let’s see if this one does.

by Anonymousreply 188November 8, 2021 12:26 AM

WHat movie did Richard get fucked in a bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 189November 8, 2021 1:05 AM

R178 R179 NOPE, that part is part of Asia continent. Geography 101. Your bigotry insist that those people are too white to be part of the brown people. News Flash. UK media labeled Israelis and Arabs as Asians. That part is West Asia, still a part of Asia. People lives there are thus Asians.

by Anonymousreply 190November 8, 2021 1:11 AM

P.S. Israel is not even a real country, they stole Palestinians home and call it their own.

by Anonymousreply 191November 8, 2021 1:14 AM

R190 Technically, you are correct but cultural references are important too and when people say "Asians", they are typically referring to the East and South East Asia. That's why terms like Middle East and Sub-Indian Continent are often used in order to refer to the distinct cultural and ethnical aspects of those region that can't be simply put under an umbrella term like Asia or Asian because that term is too vague and only applicable for geographical usage.

by Anonymousreply 192November 8, 2021 1:28 AM

[quote]I’m glad the film is making money 💰They did $161 mil with the gay kiss included. Doesn’t matter if the sensors cut it now in certain shithole countries. Everybody knows it came out with the gay kiss and it didn’t fail. More movies will follow and the backward countries will look even more ridiculous for trying to sensor progress.

More than that, Zhao and Disney decided they wouldn't edit out the gay content although they could have to appease those countries. They took a stand.

[quote]Are Thena and Thanos related?

They're cousins. However, Starfox is Thanos' brother. Thanos is part Eternal, part Deviant.

[quote]No sequels will be made for this

Probably, but we'll see the characters again. They've already said it's unnecessary.

Black Knight/Dane and Sersi are Avengers. He already has a connection with Blade, who was in this movie. Pip the Troll works with Adam Warlock (who is coming up in Guardians of the Galaxy) a lot and they're in Space with Starfox who joined the Avengers when Monica Rambeau/Photon (Next up in The Marvels) was there along with She-Hulk. Starfox had a whole storyline with She-Hulk and that show is shooting now.

This film puts pieces in place that connect to other upcoming things in the Universe so they won't be totally wiped out in favor of X-Content.

by Anonymousreply 193November 8, 2021 1:41 AM

It’s already been said they will be used in other films. Just not all of them most likely. I think we saw the last of Sprite forever.

by Anonymousreply 194November 8, 2021 1:50 AM

R193 Disney said they will cut out the gay stuff and the love scene between Sersi and Ikaris for those Middle Eastern countries.

by Anonymousreply 195November 8, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote] Disney said they will cut out the gay stuff and the love scene between Sersi and Ikaris for those Middle Eastern countries.

When did that happen R195? Because they refused to edit it, the film was pulled completely in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 8, 2021 1:55 AM

Okay r196 you’re right, as I’m i to a degree.

According to Deadline , an edited version of Eternals will release in various middle eastern markets like Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, and the United Arab Emirates. This censored cut will remove any instances of intimacy, whether they be hetero or gay.

Marvel Studios has already said it will not bend to a few requests of extreme censorship on the project. In places like Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Oman, the studio was asked to make further cuts not only pertaining to the intimacy shown in the film, thus those nations were not issued distribution certificates.

by Anonymousreply 197November 8, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote]According to Deadline , an edited version of Eternals will release in various middle eastern markets like Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, and the United Arab Emirates. This censored cut will remove any instances of intimacy, whether they be hetero or gay.

R197, I can see them agreeing to remove ALL scenes of intimacy (if it's customary in the country) but taking a stand against only removing the gay ones.

I supposed that's still principled since it's not "because" of the gay content, rather it's because there's "no content like that at all gay or straight" in any movie released in the area.

by Anonymousreply 198November 8, 2021 2:09 AM

R198 correct. The other countries are demanding the gay stuff, like him with his husband and kid, be cut out all together and Disney won’t budge this time.

by Anonymousreply 199November 8, 2021 2:15 AM

I’m happy to see a lot of people watching are liking it

by Anonymousreply 200November 8, 2021 4:13 AM

I just saw it at a late screening and my verdict which I’m sure someone has already said here, is that you just can’t fix bad source material. The characters feel like DC ripoffs, the story recycles plot points from dozens of other sci fi and superhero movies (Steven Universe, Man of Steel, Oblivion, Blade Runner), and it was clearly edited in a blender. I’m sure there’s a four hour cut out there which will probably make a richer story, but I think that would still end up being the proverbial lipstick on a pig. There’s just a certain B-movie badness to it (favorite example is like a minute into the movie, where the title reads “Mesopotamia” which literally translates to “land between the rivers” but we are at the seaside!). And the monsters look like if someone constructed the mythical Mexican beasts from “Coco” out of strips of licorice. I’m sure this one will be MST3K’d to death on YouTube once it comes out in home release.

I thought Richard was phenomenal and showed real movie star presence in this though, but who knows if he will get the kind of roles to do him justice after this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 201November 8, 2021 9:17 AM

It’s great.

by Anonymousreply 202November 8, 2021 9:23 AM

[quote]There’s just a certain B-movie badness to it (favorite example is like a minute into the movie, where the title reads “Mesopotamia” which literally translates to “land between the rivers” but we are at the seaside!).

You know the Eternals broke up while they were in the City of Babylon after they helped the humans construct it while they were fighting.

Which was located in Babylonia.

In Southern Mesopotamia.

Which we'd refer to as Iraq today because Babylon, Babylonia and Mesopotamia are actual places that existed and in some ways still exist with different names. Babylonia was 60 miles south of Baghdad.

Because of where Babylon was located in Mesopotamia, they probably arrived on the coast off of the Mediterranean Sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 8, 2021 9:32 AM

Congrats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 8, 2021 9:36 AM

[quote]Because of where Babylon was located in Mesopotamia, they probably arrived on the coast off of the Mediterranean Sea.

Actually they're at or near the ancient port city of Ur, arriving in the Persian Gulf. That knife Sersi gives the boy in the movie is real and was found there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205November 8, 2021 10:21 AM

University of Pennsylvania has one of the most extensive collections from their excavations of Royal tombs in the Kingdom of Ur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 8, 2021 12:54 PM

Mesopotamia is not on the coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 8, 2021 2:20 PM

I'd rather watch reruns of The Bionic Woman than this crap.

by Anonymousreply 208November 8, 2021 2:25 PM

I cannot BELIEVE there’s an Eternals fanboy in this thread. All of you combined could fit into an average bathroom stall.

I’m so old I actually READ The Eternals comic upon release in ‘76. Kirby NEVER met for them to part of the larger Marvel Universe, as you. An clearly see in the earliest issues; it was forced on him, and the movie corrects many of my concerns about how this race would fit into the MCU: they’re far less powerful, and dar leas unkillable, among other things.

[quote] I was more intrigued by the idea that he was a soldier doing his duty which put him at odds with the rest, some of whom had ties to the humans of the world they didn't want destroyed. An argument could be made that his character was in the right, and more selfless than the others. I didn't think the character needed to feel bad, as he didn't play emotional for the entire span of the film. If anything, his tears are meant for his true love, which I didn't really feel, either

I loved it. He was an ‘anti-villain’ at worst. He got more character development in the 1/2 hours here than he did in 45 years of comics.

All this talk of ‘canon’ is utter nonsense. The MCU is it’s OWN canon; this has been long established. And by the way:

[quote] Liberties yes, full out changing of cannon? No. Just an FYI - Thanos was an Eternal. HIs father was Mentor, a group of Eternals who left earth long ago and populated Titan, Saturn's moon. The character they have for Harry Styles is Thanos's brother, Starfox. There are more Celsitals than Arshem. The lore is that the Celestials would take the population of a planet and create 100 eternals and 100 deviants. If the deviants influenced the planet they would destroy it, if the Eternals did, they would spare it. Thanos was such a huge part of Avengers, to just erase any connection to the Eternals is asinine. This whole 7000 years plot line is just bullshit. Don't you think the Ancient one would know or Dr. Strange that every 7000 years the planet is wiped out? Or Thor or Odin or Loki? You know the Immortal gods might have a clue? Fucking bs writing.

*sigh!*. Did you actually WATCH the fucking movie? THANOS WAS ESTABLISHED AS AN ETERNAL!!! IT’S THE MOST SIGNIFICANT REVELATION IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!

Also: it was clearly shown thar there are many, many other Celestials, if the viewer couldn’t figure that out from GOTG 1 & 2.

This movie was better than i thought it would be, and accomplished the most important task: i want to see these folks again. Well done!

by Anonymousreply 209November 8, 2021 2:34 PM

Interesting the top markets for this film were US, Korea, UK, France, Mexico, and Australia. However, it performed very strong in pretty much every country it opened.

by Anonymousreply 210November 8, 2021 2:46 PM

This is getting a sequel me think. Not sure if they will ask Zhao back though. But the numbers are good enough to justify a straight up follow up.

But even if not, some characters will return as they have already been planned in several other films. The ones who will most definitely be featured again very soon are the Eternals- Sersi, Thena, Druig, Makkari and Phastos, and nonEternals- Black Knight, Blade, Starfox, and Pip the troll.

by Anonymousreply 211November 8, 2021 3:05 PM

God I loved this movie when i rewatched it. I liked it first time but found a few things fell flat, on second viewing it’s so much better for some reason.

The final battle is the only thing I would do over.

by Anonymousreply 212November 8, 2021 3:26 PM

I'm sorry, I realize I was being tediously pedantic, and now I am ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 213November 8, 2021 3:34 PM

I know, it’s only a superhero movie, but I thought the head and hand of the celestial coming out of the ground was too far — if the thing could grow and push through the interior of the earth to that extent i think the planet would be seriously fucked.

by Anonymousreply 214November 8, 2021 4:07 PM

Salma, the big Asian man, and Richard a probably not returning since they are dead. What about Sprite?

by Anonymousreply 215November 8, 2021 4:33 PM

This felt like an ETERNITY.

by Anonymousreply 216November 8, 2021 4:51 PM

Honestly - and I've said this before - I am so not the target audience for this movie, as I cannot stand superhero flicks and the way they have totally dominated the market, which I feel have eroded what people expect to see/pay for in a cinema. Any challenging content and audiences shrivel up. So I was not really expecting to like this movie much. I went because I wanted to support Chloe Zhao, as well as liking a lot of the actors, and after reading all the negative (and some quite rational and not wholly down on it) reviews I was curious just how bad it could be. I went in with an open mind.

I fucking enjoyed the hell out of it. It has some inelegant edits and obviously a lot was left on the cutting room floor, but I think I really got swayed when they flash the Marvel logo with Pink Floyd's opening strains of Time playing over it. Throughout the movie, I felt like I did when watching the first season of Ted Lasso. I was just down for the positivity. Maybe I might have received this film differently before Covid and the last two years, but you know what? I'm going to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 217November 8, 2021 6:16 PM

We don’t know if Ikaris is dead…. We never saw him die.

by Anonymousreply 218November 8, 2021 6:51 PM

Harrington really did look hot in this.

by Anonymousreply 219November 8, 2021 6:52 PM

Can we all acknowledge how hot Harry Styles looked in the after credits scene? 🥵

Between Madden, Harrington and Styles, idk who was the hottest!

by Anonymousreply 220November 8, 2021 8:03 PM

R218, If he's dead it doesn't matter. Sersi saw they had many duplicates of all of them that the Celestials made. They also have their memories stored. They could easily bring back Ajax, Gilgamesh and Ikaris with a clone body and then shove their memories into it.

by Anonymousreply 221November 8, 2021 8:04 PM

R221 is right. Plus Hayek teased that she signed a multi-picture deal so who knows if Ajak will ever be back.

by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2021 8:42 PM

They didn’t get the diversity audience that they wanted it was mostly cis white males:

“Other stats on Eternals: updated demos through Saturday were 61% males, 39% females, 55% between 18-34 and 53% under 25. General audience diversity make-up per PostTrak was 51% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic and Latino, 13% African American and 9% Asian. General audience made up 85% of the pic’s business while parents and kids under 12 combined were 15%.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223November 9, 2021 12:42 AM

Literally NO ONE IS OBSESSING OVER RACE but you on here

by Anonymousreply 224November 9, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote] I'm going to see it again.

R209 here, and I’ve been thinking about the movie all day. Im going to watch it again too, but i have D+, so ill do the rewatch with a friend who refuses to leave the house these days.

I wanted to add: Makkari made an impression for having so little screen tine (and no lines!). Her fight with Ikarus was the action highlight for me. Marvel has been sorely lacking a speedster, and Speed, introduced in Wandavision, probably won’t be of age for a while.

Also: this is how you do diversity: just DO IT! Don’t talk about it, or have a press release, just create three -dimensional minority, female and gay characters and put them on the screen. Kudos to Disney for not backing down to the backwards countries who wanted to de-gay the movie.

by Anonymousreply 225November 9, 2021 2:59 AM

The speed used in this was refreshing. Whenever these movies has a speedster they MUST show them in slow motion. I like that this one DIDNT do this.

The actress is actually deaf. Her lines were said through sign language.

by Anonymousreply 226November 9, 2021 3:00 AM

[quote] Don’t talk about it, or have a press release,

But they actually did, incessantly, during the promo press tours for this film. Not to say I have any issue with it, but let's not act like they didn't play up the diversity/representation angle to the point of almost silliness every chance they could mention it.

by Anonymousreply 227November 9, 2021 3:09 AM

R227 but that was more the media bringing it up to them than anything. Same with the gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 228November 9, 2021 3:11 AM

R228 Uh, no, it really wasn't. But, ok. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 229November 9, 2021 3:15 AM

[quote] let's not act like they didn't play up the diversity/representation angle to the point of almost silliness every chance they could mention it.

You’re correct. To clarify: i meant WITHIN the movie. No speeches or pointing it out, just presenting it as a fact of life.

by Anonymousreply 230November 9, 2021 4:19 AM

Stupid comic book movie.

by Anonymousreply 231November 9, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] 51% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic and Latino, 13% African American and 9% Asian.

Half of the audience was non-white. Incredible. I imagine the Hispanic percentage is probably much higher and the white non-Hispanic is around 46-49%.

by Anonymousreply 232November 9, 2021 3:00 PM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 233November 9, 2021 3:23 PM

Skimmed through some of these comments and my god some of you bitches are so angry about non white actors appearing on screen!

The racial diversity worked well for me. If you were going to create a bunch of sentient robots to put on the earth why not create them in the image of the different races so they can all blend in in different parts of the world? Loved the interaction between The Big Sick guy and his valet, who stole the show.

Gemma Chan was basically playing the same sentient robot as Mia in Humans. But she was effective as was the rest of the cast. Having some big stars alongside lesser known character actors worked well.

I found the Hiroshima scene quite awful. After experiencing genocide in the Americas by Europeans, centuries of African slavery and the extermination of millions of Jews in Europe, the atomic bomb was Fat Black Gay's breaking point? Did Fat Black Gay ever work with Tony Stark's dad? Do the Eternals know of Wakanda's existence? That's the kind of thing that irritates me.

But it looked beautiful and was enjoyable to watch. So there haters.

I stayed for the Harry Styles cameo but missed the scene at the end with Kit Harington.

by Anonymousreply 234November 9, 2021 4:46 PM

Richard Madden and Gemma Chan are besties in real life, and she recommended him for the role. They’ve known each other for many years now.

I think that plays a role in their sorta there chemistry but not fully there.

by Anonymousreply 235November 9, 2021 9:47 PM

Kumail posted this photo of Richard kissing a photo of Kumail in some Middle Eastern magazine (see the writing). I wonder if they’re there promoting the film in the countries that are showing the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 9, 2021 9:52 PM

r186 yes in the comics. Thanos was the son of the Eternal Mentor who was the brother of Thena's father Zuras. That would make them cousins. Not in the movies. They erased the entire history of the eternals and the deviants to make a shitty movie that makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 237November 9, 2021 11:50 PM

We actually don’t know that r237. You’re jumping to conclusions beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 238November 9, 2021 11:53 PM

Richard Madden is a dime

by Anonymousreply 239November 10, 2021 1:34 AM

That's not Middle Eastern, that's clearly Indian script, so it's Hindi.

by Anonymousreply 240November 10, 2021 1:39 AM

Does anyone else feel they implied Kingo was gay also? Or at least bi? I feel he had feelings for Ikaris also.

by Anonymousreply 241November 10, 2021 1:44 AM

That’s just because Kumail is flaming as hell.

by Anonymousreply 242November 10, 2021 2:27 AM

It’s all good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243November 10, 2021 2:38 AM

[quote] Does anyone else feel they implied Kingo was gay also? Or at least bi? I feel he had feelings for Ikaris also

Maybe. Thinking about it, he’s sorta romantically unaccounted for, especially when you consider that, along with Phastos, he was probably the closest to humanity (which would explain why he was willing to go along with wiping us out! To please Ikarus!)

Makkari and Druig DEFINITELY were into each other, Ikarus and Sersi were boning for centuries, Phastos married a human, Sprite was in love with Ikarus, and Gilgamesh clearly loved Thena in some capacity. What WAS Kingo doing all those years, with all those actresses? It would add some layers.

[quote] I found the Hiroshima scene quite awful. After experiencing genocide in the Americas by Europeans, centuries of African slavery and the extermination of millions of Jews in Europe, the atomic bomb was Fat Black Gay's breaking point?

I interpreted it as: he didn’t make humans enslave or genocide each other, but he may have given them the tools to destroy themselves.

[quote] I stayed for the Harry Styles cameo but missed the scene at the end with Kit Harington.

It’s been confirmed: he was talking to BLADE!!! 😲I would have passed out from a nerd-gasm if they’d actually shown him!

by Anonymousreply 244November 10, 2021 3:05 AM

Ikaris had everyone wanting some dick

by Anonymousreply 245November 10, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote] Ikaris had everyone wanting some dick

Heh! ‘Dick’ Madden was the movie’s best special effect.

by Anonymousreply 246November 10, 2021 3:28 AM

R235, according to an LA Times interview they did, he recommended she come in and read for the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247November 10, 2021 10:06 AM

The drop second weekend is gonna be huge, b cinemascore means death for cbms, game of thrones actors curse yet another property.

by Anonymousreply 248November 10, 2021 12:07 PM

r238 we don't know what? We know this in the comics it is canon decades old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 10, 2021 1:11 PM

R248, Disney not really worried it seems as most of their theatrical releases (with very short windows) this year are more designed to boost their d+ subscription. This has been already been deemed as not a complete financial fiasco, considering the critical reception.

by Anonymousreply 250November 10, 2021 1:24 PM

Disney knows they aren’t making any massive billion dollar blockbusters right now. There are still some movie theaters closed throughout the country, and many of the countries theaters require you be vaccinated to enter. I have to show proof of vaccine and ID to get into theaters here in NY. That will also limit box office.

Black Widow debuted with $80 million and Shang-Chi debuted with $75 million. This did well.

by Anonymousreply 251November 10, 2021 3:19 PM

No studio has ever released a movie in November with the expectation that it could be a blockbuster

by Anonymousreply 252November 10, 2021 3:23 PM

Plus we are still in Covid times. That limits the box-office even more. Disney seems happy with its opening weekend performance

by Anonymousreply 253November 10, 2021 3:27 PM

R251 With a 200 million dollar budget and 100+ million marketing budget, this really didn't. And fast and furious has made 750 million and james bond has made 670 million. More than any marvel movie this year.

by Anonymousreply 254November 10, 2021 3:30 PM

Black Widow made $379 million WW and Disney considered that a huge achievement considering the times we are in and circumstances.

Shang-Chi has made $429 million WW and everyone keeps praising its “success”.

We will see how this does in the end.

by Anonymousreply 255November 10, 2021 3:32 PM

It will do fine.

by Anonymousreply 256November 10, 2021 8:30 PM

The most important question: any Madden ass shown?

by Anonymousreply 257November 11, 2021 12:01 AM

r257 full hole presented 13 minutes into the film

by Anonymousreply 258November 11, 2021 12:17 AM

R258 got to watch some behind the scenes footage apparently

by Anonymousreply 259November 11, 2021 12:18 AM

R258. Link please…I think.

Unless Froy and Brandon blew it out.

by Anonymousreply 260November 11, 2021 12:46 AM

I hope Eternals passes the 500 mil mark. It doesn't have much competition this weekend so it should enjoy another good week and hopefully have decent 3rd and 4th weeks before is available on Disney+.

by Anonymousreply 261November 11, 2021 5:21 AM

[quote] Yes, but if you say Asian to people most people are gonna picture a Chinese or Korean person, not a Pakistani person.

Not in Britain!

[qupte]There is a reason the term “Middle Eastern” became a thing, to differentiate.

Though, of course, Pakistan is not in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 262November 11, 2021 8:44 AM

I'm so over this movie.

NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 263November 11, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]This has been already been deemed as not a complete financial fiasco, considering the critical reception.

Exactly. Beyond COVID, it was an experiment to create some strange hybrid art house/superhero film. They already had adjusted their expectations for it. They also didn't have China and they're currently having issues with them. (They wouldn't show Black Widow, Shang-Chi or Eternals for various reasons which have been covered.)

To put that in perspective, the original Avengers film grossed [bold]86 million[/bold] alone in China. None of those films had that.

They weren't saying that they didn't really plan on doing a sequel to save face months ago. They had an idea of how this would go.

It wasn't a hit, it wasn't a bomb, it was somewhere in between and they'll likely take the characters from this they like, stash them in other franchises and move forward.

by Anonymousreply 264November 11, 2021 1:12 PM

R263 Bet you didn’t even watch it.

by Anonymousreply 265November 11, 2021 3:36 PM

They knew full well going in that this would be a first movie based on comic book characters that even hardcore comic book fans were barely familiar. They've adjusted their box office expectations from the beginning. Comparisons to the 9th Fast Furious or 30th James Bond film is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 266November 11, 2021 5:19 PM

Wow. The amount of defense there is for this movie (and others like them) is...something.

by Anonymousreply 267November 11, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote] I found the Hiroshima scene quite awful. After experiencing genocide in the Americas by Europeans, centuries of African slavery and the extermination of millions of Jews in Europe, the atomic bomb was Fat Black Gay's breaking point?

The atomic bomb was a technological development, and Phastos had been nudging technology along.

by Anonymousreply 268November 11, 2021 5:36 PM

Imagine. People actually clicking on a thread about something they actually enjoy and expressing that they enjoyed it.

Nothing gets past r267

by Anonymousreply 269November 11, 2021 5:40 PM

I don’t see people defending that many other movies though r267.

I loved this one. But I don’t love most of Marvel’s movies. I love this one.

by Anonymousreply 270November 11, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote]The atomic bomb was a technological development, and Phastos had been nudging technology along.

So was Zyclon B.

The Irish dude acknowledged genocide in the 1400s but it took Fat Black Gay to live through centuries of European colonisation and slaughter, the African slave trade and the Holocaust to wait until the atomic bomb, the bomb that stopped the war, to regret his role in it.

It also made me question what he'd been doing for those 500 years. He didn't once question to use his knowledge to help the people who look like him fight back against their evil oppressors?

When you try and mix fantasy with real life those kind of questions pop up. Black Panther acknowledged the trans Atlantic slave trade and why Wakanda didn't intervene.

by Anonymousreply 271November 11, 2021 5:56 PM

They were all over the world. What makes you assume he was in the states during slavery? For all you know he was staying in some hidden forest in China or something.

They weren’t allowed to interfere with humans. He was upset the technology he helped push was now being used to hurt and kill others.

by Anonymousreply 272November 11, 2021 6:02 PM

The Atomic Bomb was the paradigm shift for people world wide. People were terrified by it.

by Anonymousreply 273November 11, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote]The Irish dude acknowledged genocide in the 1400s but it took Fat Black Gay

"Fat Black Gay?" Oh, boy. Here's another asshole.

[quote]to live through centuries of European colonisation and slaughter, the African slave trade and the Holocaust

And that had what to do with technology? His thing was technology. He had nothing to do with any of that other stuff occurring.

[quote]to wait until the atomic bomb, the bomb that stopped the war, to regret his role in it.

Because he actually did have a role in it to regret? The Atomic Bomb shifted things on a much more dramatic scale in the blink of an eye. He initially provided humans with technology they could use.

They were allowed to help the humans push themselves forward initially BUT they couldn't fight their battles or anything else like that. They've above all of it.

[quote]It also made me question what he'd been doing for those 500 years. He didn't once question to use his knowledge to help the people who look like him fight back against their evil oppressors?

You have no idea what he was doing during those "500" years. We also have no idea how he felt about humans until just recently. As someone else pointed out, they were robots who looked like different races but there's nothing to indicate that they had any awareness of their different races and it never came up in the film.

[quote]When you try and mix fantasy with real life those kind of questions pop up.

Only for the obtuse.

[quote]Black Panther acknowledged the trans Atlantic slave trade and why Wakanda didn't intervene.

Black Panther was a film that took place in Africa about people from Africa who grew up in Africa.

The Eternals is a film about space robots who live thousands of years and have done so for many more on different planets. They're thought of and worshipped like Gods.

They're not on the same level.

by Anonymousreply 274November 11, 2021 8:30 PM

Racists can’t handle what the film is saying by having the Eternals never acknowledge or notice they look different from one another.

by Anonymousreply 275November 11, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]And that had what to do with technology? His thing was technology. He had nothing to do with any of that other stuff occurring.

They literally showed him inventing the plough and discussing the steam engine. Guns, ships built to transport slaves, keys and locks, gas that kills humans as part of a plan to eradicate the planet of an entire race of people were all developed with technology HE introduced to humans.

[quote]Black Panther was a film that took place in Africa about people from Africa who grew up in Africa. The Eternals is a film about space robots who live thousands of years and have done so for many more on different planets. They're thought of and worshipped like Gods.

And this particular space robot was disguised as a black man who live on earth for thousands of years and watched on as Africa was ravaged and enslaved by Europeans. Did he play a part in helping Wakanda develop their superior technology? What about Tony Stark?

[quote]As someone else pointed out, they were robots who looked like different races but there's nothing to indicate that they had any awareness of their different races and it never came up in the film.

Apart from the space robot who looked like an Indian man and who conveniently forged a generations long career in Bollywood.

by Anonymousreply 276November 11, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]Racists can’t handle what the film is saying by having the Eternals never acknowledge or notice they look different from one another.

Except the Eternals clearly DO notice they look different from another. References are made to Angelina's legendary beauty. There are clearly different sexes of space robots.

by Anonymousreply 277November 11, 2021 9:47 PM

R277 yes, they see that but they don’t think of race or sexuality. It means nothing to them. It’s all about motives, intentions and character.

by Anonymousreply 278November 11, 2021 9:50 PM

R269 I never said people couldn't or shouldn't like whatever they want. What gets me is how defensive some are. Whatever the criticism, there always seems to be an excuse for why it's not so. Always. Just an observation, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 279November 11, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] [R277] yes, they see that but they don’t think of race or sexuality. It means nothing to them. It’s all about motives, intentions and character.

They don’t think of sexuality? Two were shown having sex! One of them had an unrequited crush on The Hot One and stabbed her best mate because The Hot One had been fucking her for millennias.

The Eternals were horny as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 280November 11, 2021 10:22 PM

Sexual orientation

by Anonymousreply 281November 11, 2021 10:24 PM

[quote]Guns, ships built to transport slaves, keys and locks, gas that kills humans as part of a plan to eradicate the planet of an entire race of people were all developed with technology HE introduced to humans.

Neither of those things killed between 129,000 and 226,000 people in seconds. Why you think they're the same as someone dropping a weapon that would cause the world to live in fear of its use forever? I'm not even sure. And once again, you have no idea how he felt about it but there's a reason why they covered atomic weaponry and not that -- because it was the worst thing he felt responsible for.

[quote]And this particular space robot was disguised as a black man who live on earth for thousands of years and watched on as Africa was ravaged and enslaved by Europeans.

Slavery existed even before that. You know that right? They were in Babylon. There were slaves there too. Did you see any of them doing anything to stop it?

[quote]Apart from the space robot who looked like an Indian man and who conveniently forged a generations long career in Bollywood.

"Indian" man?

The East Asian "space robot" who became an actor in India after living in Macedonia? He could have been an actor in any country, the only important thing the film focused on was that he was an actor. Sersi didn't go back to China, she's living in England.

by Anonymousreply 282November 12, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote]to wait until the atomic bomb, the bomb that stopped the war, to regret his role in it.

To me, the regret for the atomic bomb in particular made me think of the horrified reaction from the scientists who worked on Fat Man and Little Boy with Oppenheimer, who years later publicly decried the way the US used it against the Japanese. Einstein also regretted pushing for it, and Phastos definitely had an Einstein vibe.

Also, that scene in the Amazon when the Deviants attack and one of them is throwing Ikaris around on the ground while he tries to shoot laser eyes at it - did anyone else feel like it was a nod to The Revenant?

by Anonymousreply 283November 12, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]The East Asian "space robot" who became an actor in India after living in Macedonia? He could have been an actor in any country, the only important thing the film focused on was that he was an actor. Sersi didn't go back to China, she's living in England.

Yes the Indian actor could have been a successful actor in Hollywood, mirroring the careers of other successful Indians like, you know, that Indian guy who was in those films about that thing and that Indian woman who was amazing in those romantic comedies and that guy who was in all the costume dramas.

by Anonymousreply 284November 12, 2021 7:51 PM

Love them. Barry is so hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285November 13, 2021 1:20 AM

One of the most beautiful shots in the MCU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286November 13, 2021 1:46 AM

Has Froy been at home crying while his man keeps him in the shadows and won’t let him be his date at the premieres?

by Anonymousreply 287November 13, 2021 2:22 AM

I actually thought that the pacing was worse at the beginning of the movie. It seemed like the first third or so was edited down to the bones, where they were just showing enough splices of longer sequences so the plot still made sense (if you could keep up). Then, it slowed. It felt like the movie had time to breathe, and I could actually make some sense of it.

by Anonymousreply 288November 14, 2021 1:53 AM

I don’t know what to believe….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289November 14, 2021 2:58 AM

R289 about?

by Anonymousreply 290November 14, 2021 3:15 AM

I think you need to take a breath...Disney is happy with the returns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291November 14, 2021 8:23 AM

I thought Disney gets earnings from the Domestic and and not from the international?

by Anonymousreply 292November 14, 2021 8:29 AM

I remember reading somewhere (might have been here) years ago about how much money a film has to make for it to be truly profitable. It's actually way more than just cost to make it plus marketing. There's lots of other things at play, so films (especially the big expensive ones) have to do way more than what you think to even break even. Supposedly lots of films are nowhere near as profitable as you think, and that it often takes years to see a real return.

by Anonymousreply 293November 14, 2021 1:09 PM

R293 don’t believe everything you read online. Different films require different amounts. Depends on what was spent on marketing etc.

Disney is happy with it.

by Anonymousreply 294November 14, 2021 1:30 PM

R294 So, I shouldn't believe the things I read by working industry professionals who share their actual knowledge of how the business actually works...but I should believe you?

by Anonymousreply 295November 14, 2021 1:52 PM

The general rule of thumb (unless you actually do know the insider specifics) is to take the reported budget and double it for marketing. The budget for Eternals was $200 million, so the estimated "break even" is $400 million.

by Anonymousreply 296November 14, 2021 3:26 PM

It’s doing well.

Black Widow’s lifetime was $379 million. This one will most likely pass that one.

Idk if it will surpass Shang-Chi, which had stronger legs and slowly built.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297November 14, 2021 6:34 PM

Will richard ever come out? I'm guessing not. Disney isn't as progressive as it claims to be. They drove his boyfriend away while promo for this started, gave him a role in hocus pocus 2. Also tried to make him and gemma seem like a thing, which no one bought. You ain't shit disney rats.

by Anonymousreply 298November 14, 2021 8:05 PM

If he does come out, it will probably be like Matt Bomer. It will be revealed that he has a male partner and kids.

by Anonymousreply 299November 14, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]The general rule of thumb (unless you actually do know the insider specifics) is to take the reported budget and double it for marketing.

"Insiders" have been saying that, when all is said and done, yes. The Eternals will be profitable.

by Anonymousreply 300November 15, 2021 4:29 PM

R298, Disney did not give Froy the role in Hocus Pocus 2 to keep him away from Eternals promo. By that logic, they must have given Rose Leslie and Dominic Cooper roles to keep them away too.

I think it’s just a case of how stuff worked out.

by Anonymousreply 301November 15, 2021 4:49 PM

A theater in India's reaction when Angelina Jolie shows up on screen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302November 15, 2021 10:13 PM

One of the best films of the year. A Best Picture contender

by Anonymousreply 303November 16, 2021 12:19 AM

What R214 said. As I was watching the emergence, all I could think of was "welp... world-wide tsunamis inbound!" And the Celestial got out far enough that his head and fingers were apparently up in the stratosphere. That's going to have significant impacts, globally. They really should have pulled back on that quite a bit. Like just had the fingers start to come out, not the entire head. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 304November 17, 2021 5:08 AM

Can someone explain the Kit Harrington post-credits scene to me? What the hell was that all about? All I got was some sword with unintelligible whispering so it was clearly supernatural... who is Kit REALLY? What's his "complicated" family secret?

by Anonymousreply 305November 17, 2021 5:20 AM

r305 google Marvel Black Knight as his next appearance will likely be in the upcoming Blade movie

by Anonymousreply 306November 17, 2021 12:33 PM

Kit Harrington isn't Black...

by Anonymousreply 307November 17, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote]who is Kit REALLY?

I don't think even Kit knows. But I'm glad to see he got over his issues and seems to be on a healthy track. He sure was sexy in this movie.

The Black Knight is Dane Whitman's alter ego, R305. He's a regular guy who gains powers with a magical blade that has been handed down through generations of his family. I'm kind of looking forward to the character possibly being paired up with Mahershala Ali's Blade because Kit has crazy good chemistry with tall black men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308November 17, 2021 10:32 PM

it was just weird to see both Rob Stark and John Snow professing their love for Cersei.

by Anonymousreply 309November 17, 2021 11:00 PM

I just saw it tonight. It was god awful. I have never seen so much bad acting in one movie. They were all horrible, even the famous ones like Angie and Salma phoned it in. They looked bored, like they couldn't care less. It was full of stupid tropes and cliches. The love making scene was stupid, not necessary and just cringe... yuck. The story itself was weak. I HATE children in movies. That fucking brat Sprite was not watchable. At first I thought it was a boy. Was shocked to find out it was a girl (with that haircut, really?! Must have been a non-binary girl). What was with all the wokeness? One of every race, a gay guy, a non-binary girl and a deaf girl. WTF?! It's like they just included them to tick off boxes. It felt forced. Not organic at all. Richard Madden, bless him. He can't act for shit. He was literally HORRIBLE, not much better than his boyfriend Froy. I almost laughed at his pathetic crying. And of COURSE Marvel chose the one gay actor to play the villain, because why not. The only good thing about this movie was at least Madden looked great. Might be this movie's only saving grace. He looked hot in the costume. The rest of the movie was shit.

by Anonymousreply 310November 20, 2021 10:17 PM

r310 you must be bored...... you have posted on the thread before but now you claim you just watched it? Try being consistent at least bud.

by Anonymousreply 311November 20, 2021 10:29 PM

On another note, Disney said it passed $300 million yesterday, without China, so they are happy.

This is one of the few Marvel films doing much better overseas than in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 312November 20, 2021 10:30 PM

I really enjoyed it, but I agree it would have been far better as a limited series on Disney+ or something. 2 hours was not enough given all the characters and the 7000 year span of the story. An 8 hour series would have been just about right.

by Anonymousreply 313November 20, 2021 10:32 PM

R310 Huh? This is the first time I saw the movie. In my previous post I was talking about how the movie looked from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 314November 20, 2021 10:44 PM

I loved it. I thought the acting was what made it work..

This film is different from the other Marvel movies. It is less plot driven and more character driven.

by Anonymousreply 315November 20, 2021 10:46 PM

R288 The first half of the movie was VERY slow paced and boring. The second half was much better, flowed better imo.

by Anonymousreply 316November 20, 2021 10:47 PM

I really don't understand people who said it was slow. It wasn't slow. It was too rushed if anything.

by Anonymousreply 317November 20, 2021 11:51 PM

The "X 2.5" rule refers to the film being profitable upon theatrical release. You multiply the film's budget times 2.5 in order for the film to be considered profitable. The pandemic and the emergence of streaming platforms are changing those expectations however. Disney has their own streaming platform where their films will get a second chance to make money for Disney right after theatrical exit.

In the future success at the box office might mean multiplying the total budget of a film by 1.75 instead of 2.5. The 2.5 rule only holds up to the more expensive films anyway. Independent and small budget films do not need to make x2.5 to be considered profitable.

by Anonymousreply 318November 20, 2021 11:58 PM

How does anyone here really know if Disney is happy with these numbers? Just because some keep saying it doesn't necessarily make it true.

by Anonymousreply 319November 21, 2021 5:44 AM

It is now at $336 million in 3 weeks.

As stated upthread, Black Widow earned $379 million for its entire run. This is passing that. I dont think it will pass Shang-Chi though, which had stronger legs

by Anonymousreply 320November 21, 2021 10:24 PM

Angelina has international appeal that is why the movie is doing well there, they really believe her God complex hype and how perfect she is.

by Anonymousreply 321November 21, 2021 10:29 PM

Debi Winger and Theri Russell were a great combo.

by Anonymousreply 322November 21, 2021 10:32 PM

r321 the movie just seems more liked overseas than here, which is rare for Marvel. Theyre loving it while many Americans seem divided on it.

by Anonymousreply 323November 21, 2021 10:35 PM

R321, It’s like the opposite of the Ghostbusters franchise. The new movie did well domestically but it opened soft overseas.

by Anonymousreply 324November 21, 2021 10:43 PM

I meant R323.

by Anonymousreply 325November 21, 2021 10:44 PM

i want to watch it but don't want to go to the theatre. when will it stream?

by Anonymousreply 326November 22, 2021 1:29 AM

Angelina is stunning in the film...she has good chemistry with Gilgamesh.

by Anonymousreply 327November 22, 2021 8:02 PM

There's not much merchandise for the movie. I haven't seen it yet but I think I'll like it better than want of the Avengers movies. It seems less childish.

by Anonymousreply 328November 27, 2021 7:30 AM

Will they have an Eternals ride?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329November 27, 2021 7:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330November 27, 2021 7:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331November 27, 2021 8:10 AM

Do Kit Harington's succulent, alabaster buttocks get spanked raw at any point in this film. Do they jiggle tenderly in a CGI breeze. This is all I ask of a Kit Harington film.

by Anonymousreply 332November 27, 2021 8:14 AM

[quote] Madden and Chan were a couple and together for 5000 years before splitting.

🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 333November 27, 2021 8:19 AM

Is the Domo ship also their HQ?

by Anonymousreply 334November 28, 2021 2:22 AM

I am in the mood to watch this again. Is it available to stream anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 335June 5, 2022 1:32 AM

It's on Disney +

You can rent it on Apple's streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 336June 5, 2022 2:03 AM

It should have been divided into a two part extravaganza. The stories are compelling but it feels rushed. It still my favorite Marvel movie though

by Anonymousreply 337June 5, 2022 2:10 AM

r337 its a lot better than I expected and dont understand why critics were so harsh with it. I assume because it did not follow the same formula every single other Marvel movie does, but who knows.

It was actually very good, with beautiful cinematography and great acting.

by Anonymousreply 338June 5, 2022 2:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!