Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jessica Lange's Return to the Screen

Word on the street is Jessica Lange has been added to the cast of Neil Jordan's film Marlowe. Liam Neeson will star as Raymond Chandler's iconic detective. The screenplay by William Monahan is based on Chandler's The Black-Eyed Blonde. Presumably, Lange will play the legendary Hollywood actress in this synopsis:

The 1950’s-set film will see private detective Marlowe (Neeson) hired to find the ex-lover of a glamorous heiress. Initially it looks an open and shut case, but Marlowe soon finds himself in the underbelly of Hollywood’s film industry and unwittingly drawn into the crossfire of a legendary Hollywood actress and her subversive, ambitious daughter.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2022 8:43 PM

Neeson could be a good, older Marlowe. This is an adaptation of the novel by the Irish writer John Banville (who published it under the pseudonym Benjamin Black), not a Raymond Chandler novel.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2021 6:21 AM

A Liam Neeson-Jessica Lange reunion would be nice to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2021 6:32 AM

Is there anyone under 70 in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2021 6:48 AM

All she can play is elderly, currently butchered and evil af

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2021 6:52 AM

Is this a Lange Loon thread?

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2021 6:54 AM

I wish she'd work more. This doesn't sound that interesting to me. Liam Neeson is bland and I don't like detective stuff.

She needs some real pull out the stops kind of role.

Wish she had stayed with American Horror Story. It fell apart after she left. Her seasons varied in quality but she was always interesting on it.

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2021 7:01 AM

R6, I haven't read the novel but it has potential. The role sounds Evelyn Mulwray-ish.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2021 7:04 AM

Anyone see her in Prozac Nation?

Just looking over her filmography. That was a famous book, no? I didn't even know it was a movie. She did a bunch of stuff in the last 20 years I never heard of. Any of those films good?

(and stay strong Lange loon. I like your devotion.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2021 7:11 AM

R8, Prozac Nation is terrible. It's misguided and miscast. I'm not the Lange loon, but I admire her acting. PN is one of her lesser performances.

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2021 12:20 PM

Do we know which face she'll be using?

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2021 12:34 PM

I think Lange will play the mother of the Evelyn Mulwray-ish title character... "Dorothea Langrishe, a tough old dame whose husband, devoted to Michael Collins’s cause, was killed in the Irish civil war in a particularly terrifying fashion."

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote]This doesn't sound that interesting to me. Liam Neeson is bland and I don't like detective stuff.

Really? It sounds intriguing to me.

I never read the book, so may be way off, but it sounds like Sunset Blvd. meets Lana Turner/Cheryl Crane.

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2021 4:57 PM

Where has she been mentioned for this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2021 12:46 AM

Probably, what, two or three scenes?

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2021 12:51 AM

R8 It’s underrated. She and Ricci are great. Lange has a few standout berserk scenes.

The scene from 1:10 to 5:30 is divinity infinity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2021 12:57 AM

I did some detective work.

Hmmm…..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2021 1:03 AM

Neil Jordan is directing. He's good at moody movies.

by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2021 1:04 AM

Original post (Instagram). I’m it convinced yet. They would’ve announced her by now methinks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2021 1:08 AM

The Lange fans have connects in Barcelona and Lange has been unofficially confirmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2021 1:14 AM

Hoping for the best but Liam Neeson is old news. It’s good for Jessica to get out of the house for some mild exercise.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2021 1:29 AM

^ LOL.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2021 1:32 AM

R20 lmao.

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2021 1:37 AM

I'm keeping an open mind with not-high expectations about this. Would love to be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2021 1:48 AM

So, apparently the person reporting this news is either a supporting player or extra on the film. He’s also confirmed that he’s met her. It seems like Lange may actually be in this.

How odd that they haven’t reported her involvement yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2021 5:42 AM

She should do a remake of "Dressed To Kill" in the Angie Dickinson role. With Caitlyn Jenner as 'Bobbie'.

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2021 6:06 AM

[quote]How odd that they haven’t reported her involvement yet.

They have now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2021 5:37 PM

R26, this is interesting. Lange and Kruger bear a resemblance so will totally pass as mother and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2021 5:44 PM

Yay, a minor supporting role for Jessica in a B movie. Sky’s the limit!

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2021 6:00 PM

Diane Kruger resembles Jessica Lange 40 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2021 6:01 PM

I'm very excited for this. It has potential to be an excellent detective film.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2021 10:24 PM

Florence Pugh for the daughter?

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2021 10:28 PM

Will Jessica play the old housekeeper? Will she get to whisper/cry?

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2021 11:01 PM

I'm glad she's not ending her career with The Politician. She'll now have a Neil Jordan film and possibly a Coppola film on her CV.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2021 2:51 AM

Was Lange supposed to do Gorillas in the Mist?

I think I read that here. Lange loon?

(on 60 Minutes they were discussing Dian Fossey)

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2021 2:54 AM

Gorillas was developed for Lange and she intended to make the film, but had to drop out due to pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2021 3:01 AM

I agree this has potential. I'd love to see another Chandler film noir and Jordan is a good fit as director.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2021 3:05 AM

R8 Prozac Nation was touted as, among other things, the book to help define then undefined Gen X. Its author, Elizabeth Wurtzel, died last year at 52 and Gen X remains largely undefined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2021 3:08 AM

Neil Jordan is either brilliant or painstakingly dull. I'LL HOLD OUT SOME HOPE FOR THIS.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2021 3:14 AM

This story should put Jordan back in Crying Game form.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2021 3:15 AM

^ I didn't mean to 'yell' at the end. I had two old fashioneds and an edible then didn't realize that I pressed the caps lock button with my wayward pinky finger. I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2021 3:16 AM

Why would this be a good film? Jessica is 70+ and the love story is between Liam.Neeson and Dianne Kruger. Not exactly excited.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2021 3:20 AM

R8, R37, "Prozac Nation" made its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on 9/8/2001, and got picked up by Miramax for distribution rights. And then 9/11 happened and Elizabeth Wurtzel made some controversial comments about not having "the slightest emotional reaction" to the World Trade Center attacks and how "everyone was overreacting" (She was "misquoted," she later claimed). This forced Miramax to postpone the film's release indefinitely to distance themselves from the controversy.

Then when it was on Miramax slate for a Spring 2004 release, Wurtzel once again opened her big mouth and called it a horrible movie. It was finally released, without fanfare, in 2005. The distributors were excited about the film, but test audiences found the main character strident, unsympathetic, and unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2021 4:23 AM

R42 The trailer includes the following blurb by Ebert & Roepert:

[quote]It’s hard to imagine Christina Ricci and Jessica Lange not getting Oscar nominations for their roles.

I think both are excellent in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2021 5:14 AM

*Roeper

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2021 5:14 AM

Official thread with more casting announcements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2021 5:28 AM

What the heck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2021 3:40 AM

This is the only Phillip Marlowe anybody would need

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2021 3:45 AM
by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2021 6:35 AM

According to Ed Harris, he and Lange will be starring in a film adaptation of Long Day’s Journey into Night, which starts shooting in Ireland soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2022 5:53 AM

Also, Open Road has acquired Marlowe’s NA rights and set it for a December 2nd release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2022 5:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2022 6:33 AM

I saw her do Long Day's Journey on Broadway about 5 years ago. She was pretty much made for that part.

Really looking forward to the Neil Jordan film.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2022 8:21 PM

If Jessica does Long Day's on film, that will be oscar number three without a doubt.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2022 8:31 PM

R53 That would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2022 4:19 AM

The film is premiering in competition at the San Sebastian International Film Festival later this month (Sept. 24):

Marlowe, directed by Neil Jordan and written by William Monahan, will have its world premiere at the closing gala of the San Sebastian International Film Festival (SSIFF, September 16-24).

Screening in official competition, Marlowe stars Liam Neeson as the titular private detective asked to hunt down the ex-lover of a mysterious blonde woman, played by Diane Kruger, in 1930’s Los Angeles. It is inspired by John Banville’s novel The Black-Eyed Blonde, based on the character of Philip Marlowe from the novels of Raymond Chandler.

Jessica Lange, Ian Hart, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Alan Cumming also star. Kruger will join Neeson and Jordan in attending SSIFF for the premiere on September 24.

The film is produced by Alan Moloney, Gary Levinsohn, Mark Fasano, Billy Hines, Philip Kim and Patrick Hibler. Filming took place in both Barcelona and Dublin in a co-production between Parallel Films, Hills Productions and Davis Films, with support from Screen Ireland.

Open Road Films has North American rights to Marlowe and is planning a theatrical release in December.

Jordan was previously president of SSIFF in 2019 and his film The Good Thief opened the festival in 2002.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2022 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!