Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stop consuming or climate change will kill us all

I walked into Target and saw a huge store filled with Chinese-made products for our consumption.

We blame China for contributing a major amount of green house gases to the atmosphere, but most of that is because the West has off-shored its manufacturing to China.

Every time a toy or furniture or electronic is made, a factory in China gets fired up.

(even with that the US still emits more greenhouse gases per capita in the world.)

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 8:17 PM

Honey, you do you.

But I need to complete my collection of Facts Of Life Funko Pops.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 2:34 PM

R1, you are the death of us all

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 2:36 PM

It's true, OP. I've been looking at stuff around my house, things I bought because I liked & wanted them. Now I just see a lot of processed plastic and other parts that will take forever to decompose, long after I'm dead. Was it all worth it? Maybe for a little enjoyment or curiosity. But otherwise, nah. I think a lot of people are doing the same. My spouse & I have had some talks about bringing less plastic, packaging, and other consumer stuff into the house.

My only worry is that not enough Americans will get on board with it. We're addicted to consumerism. We need to break some habits. Just look at the last 12 months and all the news stories about PFAS and microplastics. It's just not worth fucking up the environment. Now we at least know better.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 3:35 PM

OP is wrong, as most Chinese greenhouse gas output is from heavy industry producing materials for China's own infrastructure requirements- steel, cement, glass and so on, not the items the West actually buys like plastics and electronics.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] OP is wrong, as most Chinese greenhouse gas output is from heavy industry producing materials for China's own infrastructure requirements- steel, cement, glass and so on, not the items the West actually buys like plastics and electronics.

Nope, 50% is attributable to manufacturing that benefits the west

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 4:27 PM

We’re already fucked.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 4:50 PM

Sadly we are screwed--and we're not even doing much knowing that.

Amazing how people just don't care until it affects them directly. And then it's too late

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 7:32 PM

Consumer packaging is off the chain

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 7:38 PM

Legalized cannabis has so much plastic packaging, holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 7:41 PM

Thing single most environmentally conscious act you can take is to NOT have any children, aka consumers. If you're childfree, you've done more than the most earnest living-simple, recycling, low-impact-lifestyle person with one or more kids will ever accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 7:58 PM

Do you require a medal r10 for being a childless homo?

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 8:02 PM

humanist policies (have children, here's money+benefits, and bringing in immigrants from overpopulated countries) counter anything else. @10 is correct

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote] Consumer packaging is off the chain

I was just going to say that. Stroll down the kids toy aisles at WM and the huge packaging for a tiny toy is criminal.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 8:12 PM

Homosapiens are going extinct. Try not to worry about it, OP Sing and dance as much as possible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 8:12 PM

I was led to believe all that shit was still off the coast of California?

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!