Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DLers: What say you? Covid edition

I had 2 doses of Pfizer. I am scheduling my booster. Should I get a Pfizer or Moderna for my booster (3 dose of covid vaccine)?

What say you?

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2021 9:48 PM

Get Moderna, it will be stronger. Unless you had bad side effects from Pfizer and can't handle it, then get Pfizer again.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 3:50 AM

I had the one-shot J&J and I'm going to get a Moderna booster.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 3:54 AM

Anyone want the J&J as a booster after getting the mRNA?

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 3:58 AM

I don't think anyone really knows, OP. Third shots are too new to have that data.

Dr Norman Swan, who has been the best-known communicator about Covid in Australia, says what has recently happened is that authorities have realised these should all have been 3-shot vaccines from the start. (As is, for example, Hep B.) Because of the speed of development the key thing neither the authorities nor the manufacturers knew about was longevity. Now the data is in they realise it should always have been three.

At two shots, Pfizer loses efficacy faster than Moderna, which is a higher-dose shot. But they think (still little data on this) that three shots of either should give you lasting immunity. Nobody knows how long "lasting" means (measles is nearly forever, tetanus is 10-15 years, flu is one year), but they're aiming for at least one year and hopefully five. You may, of course, need a booster within that time if a new nasty variant emerges, but that's not because your existing protection has waned, it's because the booster will be tweaked to fight the new variant.

If you didn't get an mRNA shot the first time, as was the case for many Australians, the authorities are all saying you should get one as your third shot, but they're not prescribing which one. We didn't have any J&J here, but if you had that you might need two MRNA shots at appropriate intervals to bring you up to the three.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 4:09 AM

I want the Moderna booster. That is what I had previously. It's been six months since second shot. When will it be offered to people under 65 w/o the current qualifying medical conditions?

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 4:23 AM

I had the J&J. Getting a Moderna booster as soon as I can.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 4:25 AM

I had Pfizer and no side effects at all so I am thinking I'll stick with that.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 4:42 AM

I saw on CNN one of the "qualifications" for a booster is smoking. If true pretty much anybody can get it I guess. Just say you smoke, no?

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 4:53 AM

[r8] is a russian.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 4:57 AM

[R8] [R9]

hurry put high end vodka is a cage, muriel.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 4:58 AM

My first two shots were Pfizer. I received the Moderna booster yesterday and it knocked me on my ass. I ache all over and where they stuck the needle hurts a lot more than the Pfizer. All I want to do is go back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2021 3:07 PM

Since you're on DL, you might qualify for being at least overweight.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2021 3:13 PM

Moderna is for closers!

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2021 3:16 PM

Get anything except the shithole Chinese vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote] I saw on CNN one of the "qualifications" for a booster is smoking.

In New York, it’s “smoker, current [bold]or former[/bold],” so you don’t even need to say you smoke.

But, due to patient privacy concerns, no one is asking why specifically you’re qualified. Merely “do you qualify?” on the honor system.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2021 3:23 PM

That's what I wanted to do, R11 -- now you're kinda talking me out of it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2021 3:24 PM

Saying you were a smoker could be dangerous. If it ever comes up in a life insurance search, you’re screwed.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2021 4:13 PM

I just checked R16 and the side affects I am feeling are normal and it says that is showing my body is building up protection. Since I didn't have any side affects with Pfizer I was surprised. Had I known I would have scheduled the vaccination when I had two days off. As it is I had to call in sick today.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2021 4:23 PM

It can’t, r17.

Life insurance tests your blood for nicotine during the last 30 days. There’s no way any insurance company would know that you received a COVID booster shot by telling the pharmacy you smoked once.

But again, the point is moot because the pharmacies are not checking or asking you to verify. They’re basically saying “Do you qualify under one or more of these conditions? Yes or no?” That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2021 7:35 PM

No contest. Go home with him what brung you.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2021 8:33 PM

I’m thinking about getting J&J as my third shot.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2021 9:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!