Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A glorious way of eating in Greece: Benefits of the Mediterranean lifestyle

Scientists think olive oil could be one of the reasons that meals from the Mediterranean are so very good for us. Study after study has found eating the Mediterranean way can reduce the risk for diabetes, high cholesterol, dementia, memory loss, depression and breast cancer and has been linked to stronger bones, a healthier heart and longer life. Oh, and don't forget weight loss!

While the Mediterranean way of eating is based on traditional foods from the 21 countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea, they share a common theme. The focus is on simple, plant-based cooking, featuring fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts and a heavy emphasis on extra-virgin olive oil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 1:19 AM

Say goodbye to refined sugar and flour except on rare occasions. Fats other than olive oil, such as butter, are consumed rarely, if at all. Red meat can make a rare appearance, usually only to flavor a dish. Instead, meals may include eggs, dairy and poultry, but in much smaller portions than in the traditional American diet.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 10:32 PM

I had the pleasure of spending some time in Greece years ago and was absolutely addicted to the Greek salads with cucumber, tomato, onion, feta cheese, round pepper, lemon juice, and virgin olive oil. There are variations, of course, you can add olives, garbanzo beans, etc.

Now I think I'd make a variation including red and orange peppers. I heard they're really excellent for eye health and a host of other good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 10:52 PM

If you're interested, here are the top ten health benefits of bell peppers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 10:52 PM

It’s all about olives and olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 10:54 PM

You mean it's not the red wine?

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 11:20 PM

R3. I mostly knew about bell peppers, but it's always nice reading about the benefits to reinforce good eating habits. Add a dash of lemon pepper, garlic powder and olive oil...it's heaven.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 11:43 PM

Extra virgin olive oil is excellent for health

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 12:00 AM

Greek salad (lettuce free) is one of my favorite foods. It’s easy to make but never tastes as good as in a Greek restaurant.

Greek and lemon potatoes are also to die for.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 12:03 AM

I use extra virgin olive oil on soooooooo many things. I love it. Topped with lemon pepper, omg!

The Mediterranean diet is so healthy and tastes delicious. I never feel like I'm denying myself anything. And the desserts are fabulous too.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 12:07 AM

I <3 EVOO !!

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 12:09 AM

Paywalled R2

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote]Say goodbye to refined sugar and flour except on rare occasions.

So not true.

[quote]Red meat can make a rare appearance, usually only to flavor a dish.

So not true

You know very little about the diet of the Mediterranean .

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote]The Mediterranean diet is so healthy and tastes delicious. I never feel like I'm denying myself anything.

This is so true. Plus, it's easy as a vegetarian to modify the dishes and still not feel like you are missing out.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2021 12:34 AM

OMG, how fantastic, great news, who knew? There is something called a "Mediterranean Diet"? Wow, cool. And they use some kind of oil from the olive? And it's "extra virgin" hahaha ROFL that's so funny like how can an oil be virgin! Well. I never in all my life imagined such a thing. The Mediterranean lifestyle you say? Well they are are lucky over there. Where is this? Like around Cuba and Italy?

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2021 12:53 AM

Che amaro che sei, R14. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2021 12:54 AM

Hold, on. My dialup is acting wonky. So I'm finding a little bit on Yahoo and Lycos about this Mediterranean Lifestyle!

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2021 12:55 AM

But what about the baklava?

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 12:57 AM

Have any of you people ever SEEN what Greeks, whether male, female, nymph, satyr, demigod or other, look like after 40?

Didn't think so.

And don't say "Stamos." He's half Irish.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2021 12:58 AM

R14 For CNN it's "Breaking News".

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2021 12:59 AM

R14 is a Malaka.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 1:01 AM

Ricki Lake was talking about this the other day on her show. I love Ricki Lake and have all the shows on VHS. I watch them all the time every morning when I enjoy my Maxwell House International coffee and feed my cats.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote]Red meat can make a rare appearance, usually only to flavor a dish.

And would you please tell us what dishes there are in the Greek and Italian culinary repertoire where red meat is used to "only to flavor a dish".

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!