Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which do you consider the most fucked-up city in the US right now?

Please take my poll.

by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2021 5:28 PM

Frisco.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 5:21 PM

R1 No one says "Frisco," dear.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 5:28 PM

What is the capitol of Texas?

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 5:29 PM

Anchorage, Alaska and Billings, Montana is the highest level of Covid in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 5:30 PM

Eldergays do, R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 5:31 PM

I say "SanFran"!

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 5:33 PM

Locals call it Franie.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 5:48 PM

Washington DC, I hear it's a hotbed for subversive nutjobs

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 5:50 PM

Maybe east St. Louis?

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 5:51 PM

Why did Detroit rate so high?

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 6:05 PM

I'd still rather live at any of these places than some methed up rural town full of Magats.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 6:06 PM

New York - Safer than 26% of U.S. Cities

Los Angeles - Safer than 13% of U.S. Cities

Chicago - Safer than 8% of U.S. Cities

Seattle - Safer than 4% of U.S. Cities

Minneapolis - Safer than 3% of U.S. Cities

Portland - Safer than 2% of U.S. Cities -Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents) - 5.52

San Francisco - Safer than 2% of U.S. Cities - Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents) - 6.91

St Louis - Safer than 1% of U.S. Cities - Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents) - 19.27

Detroit - Safer than 2% of U.S. Cities Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents) - 19.53

Ding Ding we have a winner!

St Louis in a neck and neck finish with Detroit, with San Francisco and Portland closely following, then Minneapolis and Seattle not far behind, only NYC trailing the pack at dead last

Of course if you factor in human shit piles, disease, and garbage everywhere one of the others might edge out a hard won finish.

I wasnt sure whether to pick Detroit or San Francisco prior to checking this, but - they're all pretty awful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 6:23 PM

What size, OP. In most states, a "city" can have as few as 2500 or 5000 people. Plus, you really can't compare a medium sized city Omaha with one like NYC or LA, and metro area size matters. DC has more people than Atlanta but the metro areas are more similar in size.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 6:27 PM

New York - Equally or more dangerous than 74% of U.S. Cities

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 6:30 PM

R12, just be aware that the areas listed are for cities, not metropolitan areas. An area-restricted older city like the City of St. Louis, where all the diversity of urban experience up, down and sideways, is surrounded on the Missouri side by a diverse but less-high-crime St. Louis County and other counties nearby, all with lower crime rates. Some cities were able to grow outwards, and inevitably will be reported as having lower rates because their concentration of older, high-crime areas already are diluted by the whole. Look at metro rates for a better comparison.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 6:31 PM

I can't speak for "right now" precisely, but from my experience I would suggest Dallas, Texas.

Perhaps followed at some distance by Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 6:36 PM

Having lived here for 3/4 of my life (I'm in my 60s), I'm going to sadly vote for San Francisco. The "Haves" have overrun this city and are fueled by greed and apathy. The "Have Nots" are fueled by rage and anguish. It's a pendulum swinging back and forth, back and forth, and the city is an absolute disaster. Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 6:52 PM

Bill deBlasio. Enough said. Everybody sing!.... in an ironic tone, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 7:02 PM

Almost ANY city in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 7:32 PM

Fucked up in what particular way? Or in all ways? I have lived in 10 major cities in the world and San Francisco has been fucked up since HIV arrived. I mean the people, rich and poor, skilled and unskilled, are majorly fucked up and not operating according to mundane rules that make sense in most cities. So a city that once had a balance of alternate and strange and innovate and creative thinking mixed with mundane - making things work and livable and functional - tipped the balance. Its been repeated roller coasters ever since HIV rocked the city. All different kinds of waves of insanity.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 9:17 PM

How ancient are you r20?

HIV hasn’t been a crisis for decades.

And you’re still living in fear of it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2021 10:27 PM

Im not living in fear of HIV AIDS, shit for brains. Do you have reading skills. I said, SINCE the HIV crisis, SF has been on a roller coaster of dysfunction and insanity. Every positive trend seems to bring a negative.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 12:10 AM

PTSD loon ^

It’s not 1984 anymore

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 1:37 AM

All run by democrats.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 1:42 AM

R23 illiterate shit for brains. SF dealt with HIV yet moved directly into fiscal yo-yoing and extreme income disparity, in-affordability, mass exodus of the working class, and rampant homelessness. Not to mention a zillion tiresome and antisocial and competing "lifestyles" trends.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 1:43 AM

After seeing some recent stories on crime in Philadelphia, I have to go with the city of Brotherly Love, thanks to that idiot mayor.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 1:52 AM

I vote for Philadelphia. And I love Philly in all of its fucked-up, dysfunctional glory.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 1:57 AM

Can we do a poll on which rural backwater hellhole is the the worst?

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 2:26 AM

R25 is triggered

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 2:27 AM

It’s nice to see New Orleans is t at the top of the dangerous list anymore

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 2:36 AM

Houston. Huge crime wave happening now.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 2:41 AM

R28, it would be hard to pick just one. Such a poll would have to be divided into geographic regions, i.e. Applachian coal country, northern Idaho, the California high desert, etc.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 2:42 AM

Oh, please, fucked up Palm Beach troll OP.

Go eat Trump's shit and die!

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 2:54 AM

I'm a Canadian who lives right across the border from Detroit and it's population has dwindled for years. The crime and violence are appalling, and affluent blacks are leaving the city as well. Downtown Detroit has been revitalized but the rest of the city is in poor shape. Too dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 2:58 AM

[quote] affluent blacks are leaving the city as well.

The 60s were a LONG time ago--that's when they left to the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2021 3:23 AM

Crime isn't the only criterion for fucked-up-ness. I voted for San Francisco because any city that's impossible for ordinary people to afford has serious problems.

On the other hand, I live in Portland which has many many more problems at the moment than the rest of the country is aware of.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 3:28 AM

Such as r36? Proud Boys vs Antifa riots are national news.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 3:38 AM

I just left LA after 7 years there. It’s a disgusting shithole. I’ll never go back. My husband grew up there and said it’s never been worse. We’re going back to SF but will probably retire out of the country. The US is over…o-v-e-r over.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 3:40 AM

"Um, HELLOOOOO!"

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 3:44 AM

R39 Baltimore is an absolute shit hole always has been. There are a couple little areas that are nice but overall it’s tragic. No gay scene… Super ghetto and the most horrible accent I’ve ever heard of any place I’ve visited in the US.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 3:51 AM

anywhere were you cannot drink the tap water, such as, Flint, Michigan? People need portable water.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2021 3:55 AM

The question is 'which city is the most fucked up, but the sad thing is 'they're all fucked up.'

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2021 3:56 AM

Of these the honest answer is Detroit. Massive economic issues, massive stretches of abandoned properties, massive corruption. It's objectively the most fucked up city on the list.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2021 4:00 AM

SF, Frisco? People pay top dollar to live there. Are you serious? It's got to be some rural Texas or Mississippi place.

by Anonymousreply 44October 22, 2021 4:00 AM

All right wing trolls hate San Francisco r44.

But yes, people voting for a city that has so many people wanting to live in it that any property has become absurdly expensive is funny. Clearly the city is doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 45October 22, 2021 4:02 AM

Philly wins this thread. Between zombie Kensington and being recorded while you are raped in public, it’s a house of horrors.

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2021 4:05 AM

people from frisco say frisco. I have heard it many times.

by Anonymousreply 47October 22, 2021 4:06 AM

R32, we can set up the poll however is best I’m all for it. It would be much more fun that this thread.

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2021 4:06 AM

It has to be a place that you cannot be PAID to live there. People want to move to some of these cities by choice. If you got a job with a home in San Francisco, you would be jumping up and down, thrilled.

I mean really.

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2021 4:08 AM

If you got a job offer in any of these cities, which one would you turn down?

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2021 4:09 AM

Bakersfield CA

Oklahoma City

Fresno

Colorado Springs

VA Beach

Tulsa

Omaha

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2021 4:16 AM

^ all dumps with Republican mayors

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2021 4:16 AM

The hedge funds have cleaned out the major cities and the republicans at the state level have cut all the city supports down to zero. The state republicans have been trying to starve the cities of services to the point of third world standards. And then pumping up the law enforcement equipment.

by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2021 4:18 AM

[quote]people from frisco say frisco.

That's because they're all empty-headed ship-ins. The natives say San Francisco. Because that's the name of the city. Not Frisco. Not San Fran *shudder*. It's San Francisco. S A N F R A N C I S C O!!

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2021 4:22 AM

Not Frisco, but Fresno has a Republican mayor. I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting such a world class, renowned locale.

Please enlighten me.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2021 4:27 AM

Speaking of Detroit: Michigan was taken over by republicans about a decade ago and they immediately removed all powers from the city governments and tied their hands. Just as many were starting to make a comeback.

Republicans couldn’t have that, now could they.

by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2021 4:29 AM

R54 I can’t HEAR you…!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2021 4:38 AM

San fran, frisco. people from there do say this. i have heard both many times.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2021 4:39 AM

Some of you are way too obsessed with crime. When I think of fucked up cities, crime never even enters the picture. If a city lacks a good entertainment and cultural scene and at least one major university or college, then it's a fucked up city.

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2021 4:44 AM

R59) Why can’t we have a cultural scene, entertainment and a university without crime? Pardon those of us, he don’t like being broken in to, shot at on the interstate, not be victims of hate crimes, ect.

by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2021 2:18 PM

Portland has a higher murder rate than Seattle or SF currently. There is still so much graffiti, and the homelessness has exploded beyond dystopian. On top of it, there are so many empty apts, as the owners will not lower rents, due to them endangering their future builds' financing. Wages in Portland are low, and they are not getting the bump other cities seem to be seeing, but the housing market is just as crazy as it has been for years, if not crazier- I have received so many unappreciated contacts from real estate agents and strangers looking for property. I love my house, and I am not selling.

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote]People need portable water. Oh, Dear!

by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2021 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!