Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joyce Carol Oates, a writer's writer.

Any fans?

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 3:50 PM

Why do you consider her a writer's writer? I know her name but have never read her and I always assumed she was popular fiction. No shame in that but it ain't writer's writing.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 3:36 PM

The worst three words in the English language: Joyce Carol Oates

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 3:42 PM

Her novel about Marilyn Monroe was ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 3:43 PM

R2 may be thinking of another writer with the first name of Joyce. JCO is considered a literary writer and is one of the half-dozen American names perennially bandied about as possible bets for a Nobel. Not saying that's merited or it'll happen, but she is indeed viewed as a literata.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Not as ridiculous as Norman Mailer's Marilyn book, R3,

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 3:44 PM

She's incredibly readable

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote] is one of the half-dozen American names perennially bandied about as possible bets for a Nobel.

"Perennially" suggests this is still happening, which isn't true.

She was nominated a few times decades ago, but that's long over now.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 3:47 PM

She's a "writer's writer" in the sense that genre fiction is one of her literary preoccupations, and she's a stylist who adopts and sometimes parodies and comments on genre styles in different examples of her work. It doesn't always come off, but she's done some really interesting takes on horror/crime/gothic-family-saga. "Bellefleur" is one of my favorites. American dynastic with a touch of something a little supernatural or eerie.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 3:49 PM

I didn't say she was nominated, R7, I said her name came up in these bettors discussions. It still does now and then. She's not gonna get it, Colson Whitehead is, but her name still comes up.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 3:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!