Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A 10 YO Black girl was arrested at school in Hawaii over a drawing that upset a parent

The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii is demanding policy changes after a 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school over a drawing linked to a "run of the mill" dispute among children.

In response to the incident, the ACLU sent a letter Monday to the Honolulu Police Department, the state Department of Education and the state attorney general's office asking them to adopt policy changes, expunge all records of the arrest, and to pay $500,000 in damages for "harm and suffering" caused by their agencies.

In January 2020, a parent called the Honowai Elementary School in Honolulu to complain about the drawing made by the girl and demanded the staff call police, the ACLU said.

When police arrived, the girl, who was only identified as "N.B," was "handcuffed with excessive force and taken to the police station," the ACLU said.

The girl's mother, Tamara Taylor, said she was called to the school, but she was not allowed to see her daughter or informed that the girl was "handcuffed in front of staff and her peers, placed into a squad car and taken away."

"I was stripped of my rights as a parent and my daughter was stripped of her right to protection and representation as a minor. There was no understanding of diversity, African-American culture and the history of police involvement with African-American youth. My daughter and I are traumatized from these events and I'm disheartened to know that this day will live with my daughter forever," Taylor said in a statement shared by the ACLU on her behalf.

The Honolulu Police Department told CNN on Tuesday it was "reviewing the letter and will be working with Corporation Counsel to address these allegations."

A spokesperson for the Hawaii DOE said the agency did not have a comment at this time.

In the letter, the ACLU said the girl had "allegedly participated in drawing an offensive sketch of a student in response to that student bullying her."

In the days after her arrest, the girl told her mother that she drew the picture but several other students were involved in coloring and writing on it, the group says in the letter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 11:04 PM

I’m gonna need to see the sketch before I decide whose side I’m on.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2021 4:11 AM

Why is it important to state the girl's race?

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2021 4:21 AM

[quote] Why is it important to state the girl's race?

Tiny Wrists In Cuffs

[quote] Black children made up more than 50% of those who were handled forcibly, though they are only 15% of the U.S. child population. They and other minority kids are often perceived by police as being older than they are. The most common types of force were takedowns, strikes and muscling, followed by firearms pointed at or used on children. Less often, children faced other tactics, like the use of pepper spray or police K-9s.

[quote] In Minneapolis, officers pinned children with their bodyweight at least 190 times. In Indianapolis, more than 160 kids were handcuffed; in Wichita, Kansas, police officers drew or used their Tasers on kids at least 45 times. Most children in the dataset are teenagers, but the data included dozens of cases of children ages 10 or younger who were also subject to police force.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2021 4:29 AM

Well until we see the drawing it's hard to know. Did it depict her school enemy being raped or something obscene about that person? Or being shot in some sexual organ? The drawing may have been taken as a threat to harm someone.

It's being portrayed as nothing but it may have been a disturbing warning signal to the adults who saw it. They may have just wanted to question her. To question her they would need a parent or guardian present. But they would not have needed that parent just to take her into custody and down to the station. So not sure what rights the mother is saying were taken from her as a parent? It's not clear. When this kind of complaint is vague and just tosses around allegations of being denied rights without detailing the facts then I get suspicious.

Nonetheless sorry to see this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2021 4:32 AM

That’s interesting that black and other minority children are generally perceived as older by police. The same is true for morbidly obese children, like that knife wielder girl in Cleveland who was shot and killed by that cop the day that George Floyd’s killer was found guilty (or sentenced; I can’t remember which).

That girl was so fat, she looked like a grown-up, despite being only 15.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2021 4:35 AM

Fanatical SJW teachers do this sort of overreaction from time to time

An attorney for an Anne Arundel County 7-year-old suspended from school for nibbling a breakfast pastry into the shape of a pistol is seeking to have the student's record expunged, and said he plans to appeal to Maryland's highest court if necessary.

Pity the poptart kid wasn't black though. They'd have loved to make that racial too if they had the opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 4:36 AM

^^ Gonna need to see the Pop-Tart before I choose a side on that one.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 4:40 AM

It’s no wonder the US has so many mass shootings. Common sense no longer exists, from teachers, police, parents, ir, it seems, anyone.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 4:40 AM

Mass shootings occur because there are over 300 million people in this country, a lot of mental illness, and easy access to guns. Not because authority figures don’t have common sense!

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 4:43 AM

Juvenile records are sealed. Even prosecutors can't see them when the juvenile later has an adult case without a court order. Judges can see juvenile convictions (aka dispositions) for purposes of sentencing in adult cases.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Art is about freedom of expression. Art is not a danger to society but bullying is. They should have arrested the bully instead.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2021 4:57 AM

Without knowing what the picture is, I can't judge this. I went to graduate school for a Masters in education. I dropped out, after a year, because I knew it wasn't for me. In one of the classes it was pounded into our heads that if you see someone drawing violent pictures of the school or any teacher or student, it was to be treated as a threat and the cops called. It wasn't call if it is a black kid or a Hispanic kid, or anything like that, it was call regardless of who they are. The position was it is better to overreact than to miss the warning signs.

R11 Again, without knowing what is going on. I'm not willing to judge that the other kid was the bully. From my own experiences growing up, I know that at times I had a person that many would consider my bully, at times, but I now realize I also bullied him.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2021 5:00 AM

There is nothing a 10 year could have drawn that should result in their arrest. Anyone who thinks they need to see the picture before judging is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2021 5:34 AM

R13, you are very naive about today's kids. They are exposed to incredibly disturbing images and they absorb it all. Even pron.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2021 5:42 AM

"I'd nEEd tO SeE THe DraWINg"

Oh fuck all of you saying that about a 10 year old girl being handcuffed in front of other kids, taken to a squad car by cops, and to the police station... over a drawing on paper. Fucking ARRESTED right there in school... a 10 year old child!

What happened to going to the principals office and waiting for your parent(s) to come?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 8:12 AM

R14 so? Perhaps counseling or some sort of intervention. But arresting her is incredibly fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 12:31 PM

It was a "racist" drawing against a native Hawaiian (local sources confirm this), but since the artist was a 10 yr old Black girl, CNN had to tread carefully in presenting the story. You can imagine what the headline would have been if the girl was white.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 1:28 PM

R15, it was a joke.

Though I have to admit, I AM curious to know what the drawing looked like, after reading R17.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 1:50 PM

I seriously doubt a racist drawing was the single factor that led up to the arrest. Kids can be cruel but a drawing is not the issue.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 1:51 PM

R19 bitch please. That she was black and looked at the kid funny would've been enough for the racist human garbage that populate our police departments.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 2:43 PM

Even if the drawing was something awful, seems like she should’ve been sent to mental health professionals, not the police.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2021 2:53 PM

R20 In case you didn’t know the natives of Hawaii are not white, racism is not exclusive to black people, although I suspect you only see things in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]I’m gonna need to see the sketch before I decide whose side I’m on.

But you're cool with Kyle Rittenhouse not being treated this way by cops.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2021 3:45 PM

Wait… some of the garbage on here think it’s ok to ARREST a 10 year old over a “racist” drawing?

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2021 3:45 PM

[quote] But arresting her is incredibly fucking stupid

She wasn't being "arrested". She was being taken to the station for her parents to come so they could discuss it with her.

People get cuffed while detained even if not being arrested all the time. The rationale is safety reasons.

Handcuffs seems harsh to me in this case but I'll bet there are regulations that anyone who gets in a squad car has to be cuffed. They can amend that but it gets tricky cause what exceptions do you carve out. What if it were a violent 10 year old bent on self-harm or harming others? Should there be an age exception or leave it up to the cop's discretion. That's what they are trying to avoid to avoid being accused of discriminating or risking harm to the person or the cops just cause some cop fell for a sob story.

Nothing is as simple as people want to make it. This story has many holes in it and because it involves a juvenile we probably won't get the whole story - e.g., what if this child had exhibited aggressive behavior before toward the subject of the drawing? what if along with this other kids reported that threats were made?

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 3:59 PM

I never said it was ok to arrest a 10 year old girl over drawing, what I did say is that there is more to the story than is being put out in the media, past incidents have taught me not to rush to judgment when only one side of the story claiming racism is put out.

We don’t know if the drawing depicted violence against the other child and if the image was racist and drawn by a black girl it’s possible the other child is not white.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote] it’s possible the other child is not white.

It's more than just possible. There are almost zero white kids at that school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 4:49 PM

R26, the point is that you know this child is black and a drawing had her put in handcuffs. You guys also attempt to rationalize shootings when the perpetrator is white. Give him an ethnic "brown" name and you immediately assume you know why he did it, because "mental illness" is an excuse only white people are allowed to use.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 5:52 PM

One of the reasons I dropped out of the program is because they were telling us we had to stay completely detached from the students. When we were presented with these problems in class I would say things like, "I would call the parents to have a talk," or "I would discuss the picture with the child to determine what was going on." And, the professor would tell me that was wrong. You never talk to the parents first because they will react with indignation. Never discuss something that might be "personal" with the student. Call the cops and administrators and let them handle it, because they are the "professionals" when it comes to such things. They were clear, ALWAYS err on the side of caution, you don't want to be the one that lets a school shooter slip by.

This is what many teachers have been taught over the last few decades. That wasn't the way the teachers I loved acted and that wasn't how I was going to be if I became one.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 6:15 PM

R28 The only person assuming here is you toots, you are ready to call in the pitchforks because the the mother claims the treatment her child received is because she is black, but have you seen the child, can you confirm that she is black and that the other child is white and that she was treated badly because she is black and that is the only reason she was detained, no you cannot.

Based on the wording of the article and the actual complaint from the ACLU the other party is not white. Racism isn’t just for black people.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote] because "mental illness" is an excuse only white people are allowed to use.

This is complete bullshit. There have many, many incidents where a black person commits a violent act (usually on an unsuspecting stranger) and it’s OBVIOUS the perpetrator is severely mentally ill and not medicated, and WE SAY SO. There have been countless such incidents in NYC in the last 12 months. We absolutely certainly do NOT reserve the “mental illness” benefit of the doubt for whites only.

Stop saying this.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote] Call the cops and administrators and let them handle it, because they are the "professionals" when it comes to such things.

WATCH OUT, he has a poptart and I think he means it ! Call the SWAT Team !

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]Black children made up more than 50% of those who were handled forcibly, though they are only 15% of the U.S. child population

Maybe they are COMMITTING 50% of the crimes committed by children?

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 11:00 PM

They might be, R33, but that still doesn’t justify the cops rough-handling them.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2021 11:02 PM

R25, actually, being deprived of your freedom of movement by being placed in handcuffs and taken to a police station IS being arrested.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 11:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!