Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Sounds Gay?

What makes a man’s voice gay or straight? (Cute film clip)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2021 5:26 PM

You sound gay.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2021 11:18 PM

Interesting. I have a more typically male voice. My spouse on the other hand was raised by all women. Both of us are gay.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2021 11:34 PM

I love this documentary. I've met so many men like this.....we need to stop defining people by their sexuality, let alone their perceived sexuality -

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2021 11:44 PM

R3 you’re right. I’m gay but I have a big problem with being criticized for having a different opinion about something that most gays.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2021 11:55 PM

Many people post gay, yet who am I to know, particularly in this post-gay it’s a mondo queer world of ours these days?

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2021 11:55 PM

I like dick = I'm gay

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2021 11:57 PM

My dad’s family were mostly all huge and athletes, but had higher pitched voices. The only small one was likely closeted gay. Then there’s me.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 12:32 AM

I work with lots of straight Jewish guys who sound gayer than I do.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 1:23 AM

That’s so gay, bro.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2021 5:20 PM

The best part the nelly guy in the video was a straight man, the butch number was gay. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2021 4:38 PM

NYT popaganda bullshit. The fact is that gay men have feminized brains, which impacts their speech patterns, and there's nothing wrong with that. Even the butchest (or more likely, butchest-acting) gay guy has a quality to his speech that would ping someone's gaydar. As hard as some gay men try, they can never have a fully traditional-sounding male voice.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2021 5:03 PM

R11 not true at all, I’m a bisexual man and have a masculine, deep voice and I know some 100 % gay men who have regular “straight guy” voices

In fact, I would say my voice is probably, so I’m told , deeper and more masculine than the average straight guy

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2021 5:07 PM

My voice is all over the place. Growing up, I had a stereotypically straight, masculine voice. I sang tenor/baritone professionally. Then I got lymphoma, and had to have massive surgery to remove all the lymph nodes in my throat and neck. I was 40 days in bed afterward, and not allowed to lie flat. I couldn't swallow anything thicker than water, so I pretty much lived on popsicles and clear soup. When I was finally able to speak again, my voice was low and raspy. As I healed the raspiness went away (about a year) and my voice was now clearly lower-pitched. But my articulation had changed and I began to have more of what people call gay voice. I talked to the speech pathologist about it, but there wasn't anything he could pinpoint. Years later I mentioned it to a counselor who instantly said, "You grew up as a closeted gay boy, and spoke with a masculine-sounding voice. But you had the surgery as an out gay man, and so when you had to relearn how to speak, your subconscious directed you to a gayer-sounding speech style." Profound? Bullshit? I don't know. All I can say for sure is that my singing voice lost an octave, and I need to come out to fewer people these days...

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2021 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!