Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - Estate of Olympia Dukakis Puts Her NoHo Manhattan Apartment On Market

Asking $4.2 million.. My guess is in this market they will get that or more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2021 8:00 AM

Lots of space. Hate the light fixtures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2021 11:50 PM

The estate auctions are the fascinating affairs. When Lena Horne died I was outbid on a stale box of her unused tampons, but did land her half used bottle of Digel, a treasure mounted prominently under a bell jar as you enter my great room.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2021 11:51 PM

The apartment looks fine enough and I am shocked that it would be sold for so little in New York - especially if we take into account that things that aren't much bigger have asking prices in the tens of millions, as per other Tasteful Friends properties shown in here.

For some reason, it reminds me of Alex Forrest's apartment in Fatal Attraction. It has that lifeless, anonymous industrial chic decoration that became popular in the 80s, even though the furniture and the kitchen are obviously contemporary. It needs quite a bit of redecoration work, but the bare bones are nice.

I just have to wonder whether buying something bigger with an actual garden in a more distant location, wouldn't be better... Then again, I clearly do not live in New York, so probably I don't know how inconvenient it would be to commute in and out of the city.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2021 11:55 PM

Listing price is the opening bid if you will, things could sell for that number, more or even less.

You don't want to price a property (or anything else for that matter) so high is scares people away. Then you'll have no other options but to keep chopping down price. In of itself price chops sends message that property was listed too high from start. Worse many will think they can drive down price even further because obviously property isn't moving otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2021 12:00 AM

It's a beautiful apartment, but you'd have to live in NYC. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2021 12:15 AM

There’s o accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2021 12:36 AM

A few more photos and the floor plan here. It’s obviously staged, so no way to know what it looked like when she lived there. The windows are fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2021 12:43 AM

Olympia was able to afford the place because she was a coupon addict - she clipped coupons religiously

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2021 12:47 AM

R8

You don't know what you're talking about.

Olympia Dukakis moved into that NoHo loft back in 1999. While city wasn't cheap then, she certainly didn't pay $4.2 million .

They sold their house in Montclair, NJ which likely brought in a good amount of change to put wards that new NoHo loft.

Even if Ms. Dukakis did "clip coupons" why wouldn't she? The family was just holding onto middle-class until Ms. Dukakis's career took off with Moonstruck and several successive movies. Until then her daughter was attending college using credit cards to pay for good part of it.

"Dukakis was 56 and had been acting and directing in film and theater for more than 30 years. As she says in her memoir, Ask Me Again Tomorrow, “So much for overnight anything.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2021 1:18 AM

But who gives a fuck about NoHo or any neighborhood in Manhattan. Isn't all the pizazz gone from everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2021 1:23 AM

StreetEasy has the listing up as well.

Am not a fan of exposed heating, sprinkler and other piping. Sadly that is what you get with many of these loft conversions in Manhattan. Especially below say 34th street.

R10

You obviously don't live here do you?

Downtown defined as south of 34th street or even 23rd is one of the hottest RE markets in NYC. SoHo, NoHo, West Village, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Tribeca, are where people want to live. In fact my most estimates there is more money down there than gold coast of UES (Fifth to Park avenues from about 59th north).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2021 1:28 AM

Previous unit in same building was only on market for seven (7) days before going into contract at full asking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2021 1:30 AM

Sadly no outdoor space

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2021 1:36 AM

Many like these comparatively small co-op buildings for many things including anonymity.

No nosey and chatty doormen to get into and tell your business. If paid for in cash there isn't any debt so no mortgage is recorded.

Residents tend to be a tight knit group. Pot luck suppers, everyone getting along, etc..

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2021 1:37 AM

I do like the giant bathroom. But I’m surprised this type of place was her style. I pictured her somewhere on the UWS in a cozier unit with original fireplaces and moldings.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2021 1:41 AM

I like some features like the big windows, but if I could afford to pay over $4 million I'd like a terrace.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2021 1:43 AM

Ms. Dukakis besides her husband had three children, and four grandchildren. I'd imagine like many other big families they didn't do "small" or "cozy" in Manhattan because space was needed to accommodate their family.

On another note were one considering buying this unit would have to have a priest or someone in before moving house. IIRC Ms. Dukakis died at home in her "Manhattan apartment" which unless there is another means this address.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2021 1:46 AM

I like it, but I think it would be interesting to try putting the dining area or part of the living space on platforms. Maybe it would be best left the way it is...but I'd like to try that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2021 2:23 AM

That’s a great fucking apartment.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2021 2:58 AM

R3

Apartment is located in NoHo not far from either Lincoln or Holland tunnels to New Jersey.

Getting out to Long Island is not that difficult either, just head over to east side and take 59th street bridge or Queens mid-town tunnel....

For any of these options travel time largely would depend upon traffic.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2021 5:32 AM

She had roaches, big ones. Also, she was known for letting Danny Thomas use her place when she was out of town. The place probably smells like shit because of this.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2021 5:49 AM

You're an idiot.

Danny Thomas died in 1991. Olympia Dukakis and spouse didn't buy this apartment until 1999.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2021 5:58 AM

I think he meant Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2021 6:00 AM

Proof that Olympia was really a man after all.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2021 6:04 AM

Did she leave any nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol behind?

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 6:48 AM

Must be staged and whoever took the photos is a genius - the ceiling height looks much higher than 10'3".

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 6:57 AM

I still think it's amazing that actors can buy multi million dollar properties with money they earned from acting.

That will always be something that fascinates me. The fact that they can fund a life of luxury and comfort from generous acting money period is something to behold.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote] I like it, but I think it would be interesting to try putting the dining area or part of the living space on platforms.

I don't think so.

This apartment looks like a loft to me.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2021 7:03 AM

R27

Another one who doesn't get it....

Olympia Dukakis was several years from being eligible for Social Security before her breakout role in Moonstruck. Working Girl, Steel Magnolias. Tales of the City, More Tales of the City, etc... all followed.

Prior to this Ms. Dukakis was (as she famously called herself) a housewife from New Jersey, one that also was an actor, but still nothing big.

Cannot find sales history for this apartment showing price Ms. Dukakis and her husband paid back in 1999, but seriously doubt it was anywhere near $4 million.

Even if they paid all cash, two to three million wouldn't have been a huge sum then for NoHo real estate. Again they sold their house in NJ, so likely put some of those proceeds into purchasing NYC loft apartment.

There are actors in NYC today who've paid far more than a few million for their apartments. And why shouldn't someone enjoy fruits of their labor. Are only lawyers, doctors, tech bros, bankers, etc.. the only well off persons who should by NYC real estate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2021 8:29 AM

Another reason why that NoHo apartment suited OD, for fourteen years she taught master classes at New York University not far from her home.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2021 8:31 AM

Open space and you can do what you want.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2021 8:43 AM

4.2 million for this. It has one bathroom, and a weird layout. That bathroom has to be redone too.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2021 8:48 AM

[quote]and whoever took the photos is a genius - the ceiling height looks much higher than 10'3".

Exactly. I'm a high ceilings snob and noticed the same, R26: in some photos there's a seeming vastness of space, and in others where the reference points are more obvious it's a case of "damn, too bad about the low ceilings."

Other than that and maybe the disappointing kitchen, I really like it. Good furniture and good art and it would be beautiful.

The floor plans of these loft conversions are always disappointing with the necessary compromises. This has compromises, certainly, but I mostly like it. The one thing I wish had been done was to angle the wall between the main room and the main bedroom (rather than notch it out to incorporate one of the three huge windows in the main room.) An angled wall would have been much better.

I like the one giant bathroom. There is a small second bath with shower at the far, entrance end of the apartment. But apartments like this are really for one or two people and the occasional guest, not an episode of Friends. Who cares if your occasional guest has to walk across the apartment to use the other bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2021 9:51 AM

[quote] When Lena Horne died I was outbid on a stale box of her unused tampons

Why on earth would a woman who most likely had not had a period in probably 40 years still be keeping unused tampons around?

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2021 10:03 AM

R28

That's because it *is* a loft Rose!

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2021 10:04 AM

Views do suck.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2021 10:10 AM

Ugly staging, that's for sure. The only thing I'd have to do is cover up all those exposed pipes. I can't stand that industrial look in a home.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2021 10:19 AM

Too much white...looks cold and sterile.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2021 10:38 AM

Another sterile white box in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2021 11:33 AM

[quote] 4.2 million for this. It has one bathroom, and a weird layout. That bathroom has to be redone too.

I agree that the layout could have been better. I do see some load-bearing poles that can't be moved, but it seems like you could have arranged it better. The bedrooms open into the living room, not great.

Personally, I wouldn't care whether or not my primary bedroom had a great view or not. I like to sleep in pitch black environment. Statistically, people simply don't spend that much time in their bedrooms. Therefore, I would not have put that primary bedroom where it is. Just my opinion.

[quote] The only thing I'd have to do is cover up all those exposed pipes. I can't stand that industrial look in a home.

I think that's the point of this kind of space, it's a loft and industrial looking.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2021 7:12 PM

[quote]I think that's the point of this kind of space, it's a loft and industrial looking.

Exactly, R40. Because it's a fucking industrial loft. I can understand that some people like that sort of space and others do not. Different people like different things; to understand that is to understand all.

But this is not a building built in that Loft Condo Aesthetic that's popular now. The exposed air conditioning vents ducts and electrical lines within pipes tacked onto the ceiling is not so much a "look" as a necessity. The ceilings and some of the old partition walls are poured concrete. You can't, for instance, dig out channels and bury the pipes and ducts in them to make them tidy or to hide the "industrial look." It has an industrial look because it was built as a commercial or industrial space. The only way you can hide electrical lines and air conditioning and plumbing is to drop the ceilings and to build out the walls — and lose the aesthetic that many people are willing to pay very well to have.

If you hate exposed a/c and pipes and electric, I understand. You should understand that this is probably not the property for you. And properties like it are probably not for you either. Look at elegant purpose-built pre-war co-ops with molded plaster panels and cornices and elegant wood floors and all the guts of the place hidden beneath the skin. Or look at newer or newly-built condos that incorporated a/c into the initial design scheme, that have open plan kitchens and bathrooms the size of living rooms as some buyers like.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2021 8:13 PM

R41

This unit has a window air conditioner which is clearly visible in pictures...

Vertical pipes are the risers and return lines for steam/hot water heating.

Pipes across ceiling are mix of sprinkler system (anti-fire), and seems also conduits for electric wires maybe.

Other pipes might be for plumbing purposes, haven't looked closely.

In sort for this unit at least what normally would be conceled behind walls in terms of plumbing, heating, etc... isn't.

In theory one could put up dry wall to hide plumbing and heating pipes along walls (same as in any modern home), but it might get tricky attempting to hide everything.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 9:07 PM

It's better than the discarded appliance box I'm squatting in underneath the bridge here in the boonies.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2021 9:26 PM

Do you rent or own, R43?

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2021 9:33 PM

A loft without a bathtub, for close to $4 million? The monthly maintenance is too high.

The main bathroom just has a shower and the second bathroom, has a sink, toilet bowl and a long vanity for lots of storage, yet no bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2021 9:55 PM

R45

Bathtubs in both new construction and renovations are going by wayside.

For decades now Americans more and more have preferred showering to sit in tub baths. Also as population of older people grows sit down baths can be difficult to manage on their own.

Showers and walk in bathtubs are what you see quite a lot of nowadays.

If one is dealing with situations where space is tight or at a premium, showers make more sense than a bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2021 10:13 PM

Bathtubs are for people who enjoy sitting in their own body filth.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2021 12:06 AM

Concurrent with the shower-only trend are the huge, free-standing bathtubs with spaces on all sides. Not sure who has the space or desire for that, but I fucking hate those.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2021 12:09 AM

Joan Crawford said it best when she was redoing one of her NYC apartments, " I don't sit in my own filth...."

Think that remark came in response to particular apartment having walk-in shower or maybe some sort of sit down/walk-in bathtub.

Personally have always found baths disgusting. Why would anyone want to wallow in their own filth? When circumstances forced one to do so, always rinsed off with shower afterwards a la Crystal Allen....

Suppose if one poured tons of bath salts or something in water to keep the filth suspeneded and away from body, but still sounds icky.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2021 1:57 AM

"Suspeneded" should be *suspended* . Hit button before correcting.

Carry on....

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2021 1:58 AM

Where's the fucking bathtub???

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]4.2 million for this. It has one bathroom, and a weird layout. That bathroom has to be redone too.

The second bathroom is off one of the bedrooms. It's large but doesn't have a bathtub or shower.

All my friends who bought raw loft spaces in Tribeca and Soho, when they were super cheap, all had full bathrooms installed and that included the main bathroom with a bath and shower and the second bathrooms have a shower, toilet and sink.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't like to take luxurious bath once in awhile.

For the prissy queens here stating "bathtubs are for people who enjoy sitting in their own body filth", one can always take a shower and wash up before luxuriating in a nice bath. Unless you are person doing arduous sweaty work for a living, who honestly gets that filthy everyday?

Most homes and apartment do have bathtubs, it's not an alien concept. You shower-only trendoids are hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2021 2:16 AM

Who are the people on this thread who don't get the joke about clipping coupons and Lena Horne's tampons? Poor DL we used to have fun people.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2021 2:31 AM

I think it was Jackie On Assistance that clipped coupons for Lena Horne’s tampons. It was Jackie’s way of supporting the Civil Rights movement.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2021 5:28 AM

That spare bedroom looks depressing. Especially the view.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2021 6:21 AM

I’m 57 and I haven’t sat in a tub for over 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2021 10:00 AM

NoHo? Don’t like sound like place for us hos! LOL

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2021 10:08 AM

Not keen on a Broadway address,too noisy.

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2021 10:18 AM

[quote]I’m 57 and I haven’t sat in a tub for over 40 years.

What happened to you in a bath tub these 40-some years ago that damaged you? Would you like to show me on the doll where it hurt?

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2021 10:39 AM

Looks like an Ikea showroom and those white walls are atrocious. Also she doesn't have a view.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2021 12:13 PM

R59 what happened was I grew up. Baths are for children and adults that don’t understand good hygiene and/or want to waste water.

When washing dishes by hand (assuming you do that) do you wash the glasses after the pots and pans?

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Sitting in filth? How filthy are you people. Sitting in a bath can have physical and psychological benefits.

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2021 10:05 PM

Was she rich enough to afford the maintenance and monthly fees to live there? She made that much money from her film television career?

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2021 11:02 PM

Ms. Dukakis and her husband lived in that building for a very long time, so obviously they had no problems paying monthly charges. Widowed Olympia Dukakis kept the apartment so we can safely assume she had no problems paying her bills either.

it has been stated previously in similar threads, portion of co-op monthly fees are tax deductible so there is that bit as well.

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2021 11:16 PM

I was expecting more grape or aubergine.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2021 11:50 PM

I’m 58 and haven’t taken a bath since I was 7 and became old enough to take a shower. Hot showers are invigorating and wonderful - I would never think to take a bath, even when my apartment has a tub — as I do now. For 23 years I was in an apartment with a small bathroom and a fairly large stall shower, but never thought twice about the lack of a tub.

by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2021 1:23 AM

ummm, good for you?

by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2021 1:28 AM

More to R9 post....

Just two years after Ms. Dukakis and husband bought their place in NoHo came 9/11/01. Afterwards for a few years was the last time in recent memory prices dropped for SoHo, NoHo, Tribeca, West Village, and Financial District.

Understandably people bailed out of downtown after that horrible event. But in a decade or maybe less downtown was back and prices not only recovered, but have exceeded previous levels.... Then came covid.....

As NYC real estate market shrugs off effects of covid, downtown Manhattan real estate has bounced back. In one of his last parting shots to well off whites , BdeB's wet dreams of busting their neighborhoods will continue until last day of his term. SoHo is being rezoned to shove more housing for the poor down there, and to break the nearly "all white" demographic.

NoHo, Tribeca, Greenwich and West Village are bound to be next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2021 1:46 AM

R68, these areas were affordable. Actual struggling artists, and other creative people, who didn't have rich parents could buy up spaces for $25,000 and less. Over the years, several friends bought raw lofts for $10,000-$50,000.

The rich are destroying America, most of us know this. We are heading to a dictatorship. When even a crap neighborhood like Bushwick becomes a destination for wealthy trust fund hipsters, something is very wrong with this picture.

Exact where will working class people, the ones who keep NYC running, be able to live? There will always be people who work in the service industries. Not everyone works in tech, on Wall Street etc.

by Anonymousreply 69October 22, 2021 2:17 AM

Even smarter than those who bought decades ago at rock bottom prices were those who rented and were grandfathered in via the loft stabilization laws. They lived for pennies on the dollar without paying monthly RE taxes, or ever increasing maintenance and when they wanted to retire simply sold their rent-stabilized lease to the now ritzy condo, or co-op building back to the owners for a million or more dollars. I've known quite and handful who had this sort of a deal. Nice, huh?

by Anonymousreply 70October 22, 2021 4:39 AM

that bathroom is weird for this place, no?

by Anonymousreply 71October 22, 2021 4:40 AM

that bathroom was a shock. Why was that done?

by Anonymousreply 72October 22, 2021 4:41 AM

the house looks staged.

I doubt that is any of her furniture.

by Anonymousreply 73October 22, 2021 7:11 AM

Wait. What's wrong with the bathroom? I viewed some pics yesterday, but I don't recall.

by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2021 8:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!