Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got 1 interview

Joey Holz recalls first hearing complaints about a labor shortage last year when he called to make a donation of convalescent plasma at a clinic near Fort Meyers, Florida.

"The guy went on this rant about how he can't find help and he can't keep anybody in his medical facility because they all quit over the stimulus checks," Holz told Insider. "And I'm like, your medical professionals quit over $1,200 checks? That's weird."

Over the next several months, he watched as a growing chorus of businesses claimed that they couldn't find anyone to hire because of government stimulus money. It was so ubiquitous that he joined a "No one wants to work" Facebook group where users made memes deriding frustrated employers.

He said he found it hard to believe that government money was keeping people out of the labor force, especially when the end of expanded federal unemployment benefits in June did not seem to trigger a surge in employment.

"If this extra money that everyone's supposedly living off of stopped in June and it's now September, obviously that's not what's stopping them," he said. Workers have argued that companies struggling to hire aren't offering competitive pay and benefits.

So Holz, a former food-service worker and charter boat crewman, decided to run an experiment.

On September 1, he sent job applications to a pair of restaurants that had been particularly public about their staffing challenges.

Then he widened the test and spent the remainder of the month applying to jobs - mostly at employers vocal about a lack of workers - and tracking his journey in a spreadsheet.

Two weeks and 28 applications later, he had just nine email responses, one follow-up phone call, and one interview with a construction company that advertised a full-time job focused on site cleanup paying $10 per hour.

But Holz said the construction company instead tried to offer Florida's minimum wage of $8.65 to start, even though the wage was scheduled to increase to $10 on September 30, and wanted "full time availability" while only scheduling part time until Holz gained "seniority."

Holz said he wasn't applying for any roles that he didn't qualify for.

"Some of the [jobs] wanted a high school diploma, some wanted retail experience," he said. "Most of them either said 'willing to train' or 'minimum experience' and none of them were over $12 an hour."

"I didn't apply for anything that required a degree, I didn't apply for anything that said 'must have six months experience in this thing,'" he added.

Holz isn't alone. Others have also spoken out about their troubles finding work despite the seemingly tight labor market.

In a Facebook post on September 29, which went viral on Twitter and Reddit as well, Holz said, "58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves."

"My opinion is that this is a familiar story to many," he added.

By the end of September, Holz had sent out 60 applications, received 16 email responses, four follow-up phone calls, and the solitary interview, and shared a pie chart showing his results.

Holz acknowledged, however, that his results may not be representative of the larger labor challenges in the country, since his search was local and specifically targeted the most vocal critics of stimulus spending.

He also said that despite the claims of some businesses struggling to hire, his current boss has had no staffing issues during the pandemic.

"Nobody leaves those positions, because he takes care of his people," Holz said, referring to his boss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2021 9:56 AM

This is so juicy. Excuse companies are not really hiring. They are getting by with longer lines, less services and angry customers. But they are making more money than ever because the don’t have enough employees. Their payroll is down and profits are up.

Notice that out of all those companies that can’t find workers, every single one posted a profit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2021 8:39 PM

Maybe he needs to attend a resume workshop.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2021 8:39 PM

They DO NOT WANT TO PAY LIVING WAGE and are holding out.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] This is so juicy. Excuse companies are not really hiring.

I agree, R1.

He called their bluff, and it turns out these companies are all FULL OF SHIT.

Once again, don't believe what you read in the media. Most of it isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2021 8:58 PM

I bet he didn't try Disney. With their revised woke cast member qualifications, it seems they'll take anyone or anything.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2021 9:05 PM

A lot of it is because the middle managers who do all the hiring are overwhelmed too and can't get back to the people applying.

This isn't a scientific study, it's one person, whose resume may or may not be horrible, and whose personality may or may not be good, trying to reinforce their already obvious bias.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2021 9:11 PM

Naw, r6. He made sure to apply to the lower paying jobs. Most of those jobs likely don't even need a resume to do them.

He's exposing the lies of these companies. $8.65 to start anywhere is ridiculous. Could you live on $1000 per month take home pay?

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote] He's exposing the lies of these companies

That's right.

It's the old bait-and-switch.

No wonder these employers can't find workers.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2021 9:22 PM

I wouldn't hire this guy either. The odor must be horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2021 9:24 PM

r7 that existed before the pandemic, though, and is why (most) Democrats have been trying to raise the minimum wage for decades.

The guy doesn't show his work so it's just anecdotal evidence and doesn't really do much to help counter the narrative pushed by the business leaders / Republicans.

However, the point he seems to be trying to make has already been made by actual scientific studies, and they've shown that the stimulus checks and the unemployment increases didn't materially contribute to people staying home. I guess he hasn't seen those studies.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2021 9:32 PM

One of the studies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2021 9:34 PM

Fort Myers. Florida. Gulf Coast. Roiling with bitter republicans.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2021 9:34 PM

I can just speak for myself but I help manage in the service industry business and we desperately need help. We get tons of applications and call back every single one of them. 98% of them are just horrible. Most of them say they can't work on the weekends which is our busiest time and we have no space for them if they can't work those days. Lots of them have zero experience and are asking for more money than people who've been with our company for 10 years. Some of them have horrible references. Over the last two weeks we've hired three new people who have not shown up on their first day and not responded to any calls even after they have signed all the paperwork to start. Easily 60 to 70% of the people that we schedule for their first interview do not show up for the interview.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2021 9:42 PM

It’s supply and demand. Basic economics. If you offer fair wages, the people will come.

You don’t mean to tell me that free market principals are only for corporatists and profiteers? It applies to labor too. After decades of finger wagging by execs, the shoe is now on the other foot.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2021 9:58 PM

I'd work for you, R13.

I always wanted to work in a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2021 9:59 PM

R13 it sounds like you work in a scraping the bottom of the barrel field. I pity you. Why do you bother? You probably pay the unskilled idiots peanuts. They live precarious unstable lives. And you have to manage them. It sound awful for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2021 10:01 PM

R13 oh dear lord in heaven they actually expect a living wage?! ENTITLEMENT

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2021 10:18 PM

R16 we operate in a state with a low minimum wage. we instituted a $15 an hour policy at our place. all dishwashers e make that on day one. up to $20 an hour for non manager line cooks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2021 10:22 PM

the labor force is changing quickly and if it continues the only place left able to operate will be large chains and corporations

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2021 10:25 PM

R18 thank you for your kind response to my snarky comment. I didn't deserve it! If you pay well, why is labour so flakey and reluctant to work? Are so many people this scatter brained and messy? It sounds dismal.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2021 10:30 PM

R20 no one wants to work in the restaurant industry anymore. some for good reason. the industry as a whole has been brutal and unforgiving for decades. we are trying to break the mold but get lumped in with the larger industry.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2021 10:33 PM

We used to have annual minimum wage threads and there would be filled up with all the usual talking points against raising the minimum wage.

I’m glad to see them all tossed out of the window in a real life situation.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2021 10:36 PM

The propaganda being put out is: "no one wants to work." The reality is that millennials and zoomers are refusing to be both underpaid and stuck working in shitty environments (like being forced to work onsite in cubicle farms when the job could easily be done remotely). Older generations can't seem to fully comprehend this stance because they allowed themselves to be walked on by their employers for most of their working life. Big business isn't going to win this battle because the current workforce is aging, younger generations are positioning themselves to become the larger percentage of the population available to work, and they don't give a flying fuck about corporate "traditions."

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] It’s supply and demand. Basic economics. If you offer fair wages, the people will come.

Speaking of basic economics, if a person has no source of income, how can they live without taking a job, any job, to make money to eat? If benefits end after a period of time, the supply of workers willing to take the offered wages should increase.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2021 10:52 PM

It's the customers. No one wants to work with the public, for any amount of money. You see these lunatics who refuse to wear a mask and either cause a verbal scene or physically harm the workers whose job it is to tell them that the store policy says they have to wear a mask

Allowing a worker to be abused, has an effect on the rest of the staff

America's "the customer is always right" customer service policy is WRONG. It's American fucking bullshit at it's finest. And when you talk about right or wrong, it's WRONG. Shame on America for allowing it's citizens to treat workers like actual garbage

For those of you who don't know, 99% of the time, when a customer calls a company's 1-800 number, the employee gets fired because the companies don't give a shit about their employees

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2021 10:53 PM

r23 is correct, eldergheys.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2021 10:55 PM

Is there any evidence that anything this guy said his true? It’s just coincidence that he got exactly the result that he wanted to have, the results he knew a lot of people would embrace without question? Hopefully, someone else will do the same test to check his results.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2021 10:55 PM

there would be zero people working at call centers if that was true. are you retarded, r25?

do they just fire the retards?

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2021 10:57 PM

I believe the Op because these fast food places are making more money than ever with only one employee and a line around the block. That one employee is cooking and working the register so the overhead is so low. They love this.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote] Speaking of basic economics, if a person has no source of income, how can they live without taking a job, any job, to make money to eat?

Why do they have to eat? Fuck eating. No one should take a job below them. They are taking advantage of you.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 11:22 PM

Here's the thing, most people who have children work 40 hours a week for less than $50

After you factor in the amount they pay for childcare ($1200 month/per kid), gasoline, drinks at work, other expenses, car repairs, etc. After paying for all of that, they may actually lose money - by working

Two women I worked with are staying home with their kids. Their husband's work and they're doing without the extras. No netflix, out of state vacations or going out to eat. They're much happier and so are their kids.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote] Here's the thing, most people who have children work 40 hours a week for less than $50

$50 is not that bad. I was only making $40 an hour and that with a college degree.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote]$50 is not that bad. I was only making $40 an hour and that with a college degree.

They work for $50 per week

They work 40 hours per week for $50 total. That's $1.25 per hour

Your college owes you a refund

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2021 11:44 PM

Why so?

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2021 11:51 PM

Florida man applies for 60 jobs: gator wrangler, gator killer, gator skinner, gator haberdasher...

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2021 11:54 PM

Sending resumes to 60 places is not enough to credibly report findings.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2021 11:56 PM

Looking for a job too. No dice.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2021 12:12 AM

Why is the word seniority in quotes in the article?

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2021 12:22 AM

A piece of shit transplanted yankee in a tourist town next to my city was on the news for putting up signs in his restaurant window decrying the laziness of workers,etc. He was closed for 6 months during the shutdown ,and when he reopened not one of his staff came back. Not one. Come to find out he had gotten over $600,000 from the PPP program,wich was like 3 years profit for his place. Do you think that bastard gave a rats ass about helping his employees pay their rent or feeding their kids ? Nope,and thats why he cant find anyone to hire because the whole town now knows what a scamkming piece of shit he is.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2021 12:47 AM

For the last 80 or so years, the unspoken deal has been: Work hard, try to rise in your career, do the best you can, and you will have some modicum of job security. Even if you lose your job, another employer in the same field will hire you, or perhaps somehow you can set up shop on your own. If you are a good citizen and work hard, things will work out okay in the end.

The last couple years have shown that the deal is actually: Work hard, be a good citizen, and fuck you, you schmuck, we're closing down everything, your job is closed and may never reopen, you can't go outside if it's not essential, don't see your family, don't see your friends, rely on government handouts to keep you afloat, and by the way FUCK YOU, you disposable, replaceable cog in a broken horseshit-manufacturing machine.

Okay, NOW you can go get a job again. This time we won't pull the rug out from under you. This time you have a future. You can trust us.

Gee, why don't those lazy bums wanna work?

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2021 1:03 AM

r40, isn’t how you describe today the way it’s been for the majority of American history, starting with the Industrial Revolution?

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2021 1:20 AM

What r14 said...the labor market has LONG been overdue for a correction because wages for entry level jobs have not kept up with the cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 1:26 AM

It’s unfortunate because it’s going to hurt a lot of people, but higher wages will lead to increased automation. Businesses like fast food restaurants don’t have a pot of gold locked in a safe in the back room that they can dole out to the workers.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2021 1:34 AM

I’ve been hearing that tired line for decades.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2021 1:40 AM

r43 automation is not cheap either, especially when it comes to food service. Either way the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2021 1:42 AM

R43 trundling out that old crap again.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2021 1:44 AM

r46, you mean businesses really do have a pot of gold in the back room?

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2021 1:47 AM

Everybody had a year or so to re-evaluate their lives and life patterns. They made decisions based on new realities and some of those decisions are they don't have to go back to shit jobs for shit wages. They lived without them. Now the industries that have built their business models on shit jobs for shit wages are going to have to start rethinking how they do things.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2021 1:50 AM

R48 they lived without their jobs because they govt mailed out checks, they got unemployment based on their previous employment and the govt stopped evictions. I doubt that is sustainable and I doubt most will find higher paying jobs. we are headed to an interesting intersection. worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2021 2:31 AM

A good friend is on the personnel committee at a swanky country club. They recently had to replace a low level staff member. The good old boys on the committee (all retirees) wanted to require three letters of reference, two rounds of interviews and a 90-day probationary period. Oh, and no benefits until the 6 month mark.

My good friend lost it and said, “This is NOT 1987! This not how any of this works!”

The one candidate they liked accepted the offer, but didn’t show up on his first day. My friend called him and asked if anything was wrong. The guy said, “Yeah, well, about that. I heard your club members treat the employees like shit. I’m not into that. See ya.”

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2021 2:36 AM

Wages have been stagnant for decades in real terms.

It's time for that "pot of gold" that employers keep for themselves and upper management gets taken down a few pegs.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2021 2:42 AM

[quote] Businesses like fast food restaurants don’t have a pot of gold locked in a safe in the back room that they can dole out to the workers.

R43 You got to be kidding. Fast food restaurants, in particular, make BILLIONS of dollars in revenues yearly.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2021 4:53 AM

R39, that piece of shit is not going to get his PPP loan forgiven. You have to actually prove you spent the money on wages, rent and/or utilities. And yes, the lenders are checking to make sure (and checking on the reported facts is what they do on all loans, so they know what they're doing).

I've been wondering about this "worker shortage" too. A few places have signs up looking for help. Target is hiring for Christmas. and there's a new Amazon facility opening up and there's been a bit of buzz around that, but otherwise, I'm not seeing it. But if you look at NextDoor, the old people are bitching up a storm about having to wait five minutes at Walmart... as though they didn't have to wait five minutes before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2021 6:54 AM

[quote] Fast food restaurants, in particular, make BILLIONS of dollars in revenues yearly.

A guy who owns a franchise, who is the one who pays the workers, does not make billions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2021 9:06 AM

R54 Wow, you really don't understand this, do you?

A corporation, like McDonald's which makes billion$, can help these franchisees pay their workers more by lowering their ridiculous and enormous fees they charge.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2021 9:55 AM

[quote] younger generations are positioning themselves to become the larger percentage of the population available to work, and they don't give a flying fuck about corporate "traditions."

But they will go into detail how the task you assigned triggered them. And then you'll have a meeting with their mommy.

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2021 12:14 PM

r55, you’re showing your ignorance. The franchisee is responsible for paying the workers, not McDonald’s and McDonald’s is not going to reduce its franchisee fee or service fees to “help these franchisees pay their workers.” Three years ago, the annual average net profit for a franchisee was estimated to be $150k, not a pot of gold.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2021 2:03 PM

Trae Crowder again with the truth bombs

"...paying people enough money for both food and shelter. And, if the need to sell off an art wing or a racehorse portfolio to do, so be it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2021 4:38 PM

R56 - your silly statement only reveals your antiquated mindset (and how easily you are influenced by social media and news media culture wars propaganda). If you are part of one of the younger generations, this is even more tragic for you. You sound like a cranky old person raging against "kids these days!"

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2021 6:56 PM

And your statement reveals what an assuming cunt you are. Part of my job is supervising college students that work in our office. You wouldn't believe the shit I hear. On top of showing up late, not at all, no phone call, not even an excuse. I had one mother accompany her son on his job interview. So fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote] supervising college students that work in our office.

So...unpaid interns? R60

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2021 7:28 AM

No, hourly workers.

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2021 11:06 AM

I just googled "employer cant find employees" and scrolled down to the first name I found, Christine Lahtinen, Maud Borup Inc. in MN.

Then I googled Maud Borup PPP loan= This CUNT got 722k in "forgivable loans" from PPP.

Every time you hear an employer complain, check their forgivable loan. I've done this non- scientific experiment at least 10 times. Every employer is an evil POS.

Why the fuck doesn't the media ask about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2021 11:30 AM

OP - You lost me at "Fort Meyers". It's Ft. Myers. If you can't get such a basic and easy to research fact right, then I have little faith that anything else in your screed is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2021 11:51 AM

Who would hire someone named "Joey?" I can guarantee you he sucks. I bet he uses poor grammar, is always late, makes stupid demands and can't say two words with out putting "mutha fucka" in between them.

Another poor workman blaming his tools.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2021 12:08 PM

R62 How much per hour?

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2021 2:07 PM

r65, You're a real genius, you have it all figured out don't you.

Car dealerships owned by at least three Republican House members — Reps. Roger Williams of Texas, Vern Buchanan of Florida and Mike Kelly of Pennsylvania — received money. So, too, did fast-food franchises owned by Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Okla., a law firm owned by the husband of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and the former law firm of Rep. Matt Cartwright, D-Pa., which employs his wife.

Money also flowed to a farming and equipment business owned by the family of Rep. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., and a regional casino company led by the husband of Rep. Susie Lee, D-Nev.

Hundreds of millions of dollars also flowed to political consultants, opposition research shops, law firms, advocacy organizations and trade associations whose work is based around influencing government and politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2021 4:35 PM

This entire economy has been predicted on squeezing out the middle class, with the poor making sub-sustenance wages and no benefits in service of the rich. It’s Les fucking Miserables.

Minimum wage was a stagnant pittance for years and years. Fuck all these cunts and their shitty unhealthy food.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2021 4:56 PM

R63, guess what I've found? A hotline to report all these people who stole our money

Of course they are lying to the media. They want to have "proof" when they ask to have their loan forgiven

Start posting the places you know on here and you and I can each report them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2021 11:28 PM

Small Business Loan Administration fraud hotline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2021 11:32 PM

Oh wow r69. So THAT is why they are posting those fake ads everywhere.

I’ve heard that some companies are offering these huge sign on bonus but then the workers will be blocked for meeting the small print requirements. They are taking advantage of teens and older people and needs to be exposed.

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2021 11:46 PM

[quote]The reality is that millennials and zoomers are refusing to be both underpaid and stuck working in shitty environments (like being forced to work onsite in cubicle farms when the job could easily be done remotely)

No, Instead they prefer working in open office plans shoulder to shoulder on a big table full of computers. You realize this is how it used to be before the invention of the cubicle right? Employers love it because cubicles are actually very expensive. They are not being progressive, they are being cheap. Who wants an inch of privacy when you can all see every little thing someone is doing on the computer every minute of every day.

by Anonymousreply 72October 22, 2021 8:22 AM

[quote]It’s unfortunate because it’s going to hurt a lot of people, but higher wages will lead to increased automation.

So you are really going to buy a burger made by a robot? And why do you need to? Your premise is bull shit. I worked for a company that outsourced everyone to India once they figure out they could higher the same college level skills overseas for a salary of 7,000 a year, 50 hours a week. 200 jobs gone over night thanks to a greedy CEO. And that was more of a white collar job.

by Anonymousreply 73October 22, 2021 8:34 AM

[quote][R13] it sounds like you work in a scraping the bottom of the barrel field. I pity you. Why do you bother? You probably pay the unskilled idiots peanuts. They live precarious unstable lives. And you have to manage them. It sound awful for everyone.

Get a load of THIS elitist piece of shit. The FUCK do you mean why even bother? Why does ANYONE bother with ANY job?

by Anonymousreply 74October 22, 2021 9:03 AM

Well he's got a point R74, if you think people are flakes, sounds your your job potions are no better. You expect experience for minimum wage? Really? You don't tell people up front on your job app or adds that its mainly for weekends? You wait until they call to drop that bomb? Why should a new hire care what you paid other people who have been there? That's not their problem, that's your problem. If it's happened more than once what that really says is those people who have been there all those years are vastly under paid for the current market.

Finally, if 60 or 70% of the people are not showing up, it's not them it's you. Your place of work, the people or you are giving off really bad vibes and red flags you are probably a shitty employer. It not different that's when you get a bad feeling about an applicant and ghost them after the interview. Companies do that all the time, no one is polite anymore and send out polite rejection letters. So no surprise potential employees that find something better return the same behavior.

by Anonymousreply 75October 22, 2021 9:47 AM

R57 You're the clueless, arrogant idiot here. No one disputes that the franchisees are responsible for paying the workers.

But it's the greedy corporation, like McDonald's, that are bleeding the franchisees dry...and therefore can't pay workers well. Franchisees barely scrape by while McDonald's makes billions...on the back of minimum wage workers.

by Anonymousreply 76October 22, 2021 10:08 AM

“Franchisees barely scrape by”

They got tons of money of the last year.

Also they only have to pay half the workers now so there is more profit than ever.

by Anonymousreply 77October 22, 2021 10:14 AM

Bump for original.

OP, defend your turf.

by Anonymousreply 78October 22, 2021 10:47 AM

This is why having a good nest egg is important. So when you get tired of your job, you can say screw you and live off those savings you built until the next thing comes along. That’s one way you can empower yourself, if you’re able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 79October 22, 2021 10:55 AM

If you look at jobs on indeed.com you can see how many applications (just through the site so, not total) were submitted. My husband is a bartender with an excellent resume and he got two interviews from 37 applications submitted and it took 6 months for him to find a job. He’d even started applying for bar back and server jobs. Some of these positions had hundreds of applications through indeed. It’s not so easy to just go get a job.

by Anonymousreply 80October 22, 2021 11:08 AM

What's happening is companies not wanting to offer more to their employees (more pay, safer working conditions, benefits, a fixed schedule). Companies think they can ride it out, but they are going to find out those employees are not coming back.

My old job was notorious for passing on potential good candidates based on certain traits. If you were class president and put that on your resume, it meant you were red flagged. It meant you could be a person that could influence other employees into joining a union, ask for more benefits than what the company wanted to offer.

by Anonymousreply 81October 22, 2021 11:09 AM

Interesting to learn these companies are not hiring to keep Ppe Loans.

by Anonymousreply 82October 22, 2021 11:30 AM

[quote] It’s unfortunate because it’s going to hurt a lot of people, but higher wages will lead to increased automation. Businesses like fast food restaurants don’t have a pot of gold locked in a safe in the back room that they can dole out to the workers.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about owning or managing a restaurant.

That being said, I predict that more and more “sit down” eateries will end up converting to a hybrid seated/counter service model. I saw a lot of this when travelling in New Zealand a few years ago, where restaurant labour was/is in short supply. You entered the restaurant, browsed the menu at the counter, ordered your meal - drinks, appetizers, main course and dessert - took a number to your table and the food would be brought to you by a random server. I’m not talking about fast food or cafeteria food, but meals that wouldn’t be out of place in a very nice restaurant.

You either paid for the meal when you were done or, in most cases, at the time of order. There is no tipping in NZ so any gratuity would be built into the price.

I’ve also been to restaurants that are pretty similar but you first grab a table, pick up an iPad at the table and order everything though that, and again a random server will bring you everything you order. Payment was made as you left but I could easily see payment starting with entering your CC info into the iPad first (similar to any online transaction), placing your order, and the transaction completing at the end of your meal. Makes it very easy to prevent dine and dash.

For anything other than fine dining restaurants the lack of personalized attention from a designated server will go unnoticed by most patrons, while allowing the restaurant to get by with fewer staff.

by Anonymousreply 83October 22, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote]No, Instead they prefer working in open office plans shoulder to shoulder on a big table full of computers. You realize this is how it used to be before the invention of the cubicle right?

Millennials and zoomers weren't in positions of power when "open offices" started trending towards the norm. The decision to be cheap and "encourage communication" came from GenX & Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 84October 22, 2021 12:47 PM

Does anyone actually like open offices? They sound awful. Also, they sound completely obsolete. Why does everyone need to be sitting around a table staring at their laptop, instead of doing that in their living room or coffeehouse?

by Anonymousreply 85October 22, 2021 12:54 PM

When I called an airline, I was told, "Your wait will be 120 minutes."

by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote] That being said, I predict that more and more “sit down” eateries will end up converting to a hybrid seated/counter service model. I saw a lot of this when travelling in New Zealand a few years ago, where restaurant labour was/is in short supply. You entered the restaurant, browsed the menu at the counter, ordered your meal - drinks, appetizers, main course and dessert - took a number to your table and the food would be brought to you by a random server. I’m not talking about fast food or cafeteria food, but meals that wouldn’t be out of place in a very nice restaurant.

I’d love to see more of that. The thing I don’t like about sit-down restaurants is that I am paying for a service I don’t want or need. I’m still spry enough that I can give my order directly to people behind the counter, get my own drink refill, and can even take the food to the table myself. I get carryout to avoid the whole service thing, but it would be nice to get “carryout” at a nice restaurant and be able to sit at a table there to eat it. I’m okay with paying busboys to clean the table after me.

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2021 2:59 PM

Here's an interesting article which doesn't relate to the topic directly but raises the question in my mind of HOW people are applying. Which is to say, are some of these people being specific in stating what they will or will not tolerate (even beyond pay)...and that is a factor in how employers are responding to applications?

[quote] Montgomery, a 37-year-old mother, said she has become much “pickier” about where she’s willing to work after having lost a catering job last year. Losing the $300-a-week federal payment hasn’t changed her mind. She’ll receive her regular state jobless aid for a few more weeks.

[quote] “Once you’ve stayed home with your kids and family like this, who wants to physically have to go back to work?” she said. “As I’m looking and looking, I’ve told myself that I’m not going to sacrifice pay or flexibility working remotely when I know I’m qualified to do certain things. But what that also means is that it’s taking longer to find those kinds of jobs.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2021 6:38 PM

[quote]It’s unfortunate because it’s going to hurt a lot of people, but higher wages will lead to increased automation.

Increased automation is inevitable. It's not like employers are being generous and saying "Keep wages low and we won't replace you with a touchscreen."

A friend of mine, when asked if he wants to self-checkout, always says (in a mildly confused voice), "Oh, no, no. I don't work here."

It's both polite and cunty.

by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2021 7:35 PM

With workers unwilling to work for a living, automation is inevitable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2021 8:47 PM

And this is where our economy and our economic assumptions get weird to me. Theoretically, working for the sake of working is a stupid idea. Work should have a purpose, and we should all be grateful if a lot of the work can just be done by machines or whatever, as in the past getting animals to do a lot of the work was actually a great thing.

But we don't do that in this country. We have decided the 40-hour workweek is set in stone, ever since it was handed down by the Prophet Henry Ford on Mount Factory. And of course, for many that is considered a minimum, and don't even ask about vacation! But what if everybody between the ages of 21 and 60, or even 50, working maybe 20 hours a week could get everything done that actually needs doing? We have no mechanism for that. We can barely comprehend it. We can hardly allow anybody to even consider it.

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2021 10:57 PM

An online application I submitted has received 1000 applicants for one fucking position

by Anonymousreply 92October 23, 2021 12:05 AM

Here comes the automation troll. Like clockwork.

by Anonymousreply 93October 23, 2021 12:08 AM

This thing about robots in fast food, I'm not so sure. Ongoing maintenance with CNC machines (which is what this is) can get expensive fast, and if you can't get a repairman in when you need one, you're screwed.

I could also see the local fire department inspector not feeling comfortable with something like this, and if he says no, good luck. Even McDonalds gets nervous when those guys come through. (They have almost completely unilateral decision making, and can and will tell an expensive attorney to kiss their ass.) Same thing with local health inspectors, if they aren't a complete idiot like they usually are.

Kiosk ordering at McDonalds turned out to be considerably less successful than they were hoping for. I have a bit of a background with Point Of Sale, and really nobody has had the self-checkout version of that (POS) turn out all that hot. Airport check-ins are one of the few success stories, but there isn't a sale involved (although upgrades can theoretically be bought).

by Anonymousreply 94October 23, 2021 12:23 AM

I like being waited on by a server.

I live in NYC, I was a waiter for years and to me there's nothing broken about having nice friendly waiters and waitresses. Most here do a great job and earn a nice weekly wage at a half decent place.

by Anonymousreply 95October 23, 2021 1:05 AM

I can relate to r50s story. I replied to a craiglists ad for a job that promised a "competitive wage". The guy who interviewed me mentioned that they had been trying to fill the position for a while. When the HR person called to offer me the job, she offered me 60 CENTS above minimum wage. She also wanted me to take a drug test and submit three verified references. I could earn more money and jump through fewer hoops by working at Taco Bell. I told them no thanks. Employers don't understand that they need to bring something to the table, people don't owe them their labor at some shitty rock-bottom rate.

by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2021 2:51 AM

there are definitely a good number of applications we get that we reject immediately without calling them. Some of them just have zero relevant experience and we require that, but many others put their availability down and it's just nothing we can work with. there are lots of programs like WorkStream that will disperse applications to dozens of similar businesses with one push of a button from the applicant. So the application is never truly tailored for the job they are trying to get. It's really not a good system.

by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2021 3:43 AM

The availability that employers want is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, let's get real.

by Anonymousreply 98October 23, 2021 3:53 AM

R98 yeah, not so much. but having to be out of work everyday by 4 pm and needing off every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday doesn't work for our business. (that is an example of an application I rejected today) or someone who needs off every Sunday just can't work for us no matter how great they are. Sunday is our busiest day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 99October 23, 2021 5:15 AM

Time for a fake recession...

by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2021 5:23 AM

r99 works for cracker barrel.

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2021 5:26 AM

This guy got it right several years ago. After he couldn't get over an employee's low salary = poor quality of life complaint, he ultimately raised minimum wage to $70,000/year and cut his own salary down to that from $1.1 million. His company has since thrived with high employee and customer retention numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2021 5:33 AM

Id do restaurant work but I do have a few conditions of my own - I get to wear a skimpy costume - I get to bat my eyes the customers I deem cute - I get to chew and smack gum while working my shift - I get to yell "well kiss my grits!" at customers I lose patience with

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote] Theoretically, working for the sake of working is a stupid idea. Work should have a purpose

Yes, and the purpose is to be able to buy food, clothing and shelter in order to live. That purpose is removed when the government pays people not to work.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2021 8:23 AM

No r104, I think you have that wrong. The food, clothing, and shelter are the point. How to provide that to the most people, actually to everybody in a society, is the real question. Can it be done with less labor? Well, it would seem that would be a good outcome. Cramming the most people into shit jobs at shit wages as some goal in and of itself, that is what seems so off to me. When we think of the economy as a job-creating machine, as if work itself is the goal, that is what seems really off to me.

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2021 3:18 PM

Manufacturing and food service are dying for workers. For everything else (la di dah positions with an office), it's HR fascism that will have certain prejudices for applicants. I suspect that you have to either have stellar work experience, be young, dumb, and attractive, fresh out of college, or be some sort of extroverted conman who will harass them until you get the interview and the job.

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote] The food, clothing, and shelter are the point. How to provide that to the most people, actually to everybody in a society, is the real question.

It’s provided by using it as the incentive to get able-bodied and able-minded people to work for a living. No work, no eat. Except that fundamental process in the economy has been disrupted by government payments.

by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2021 4:06 PM

work how much r107? Work long hours for the sake of working long hours? Work in a way that could be better done by robots? Work because we want to have people working, even if the actual job is useless and annoying? Why? Would you be horrified by a 30-hour work week? Why?

by Anonymousreply 108October 23, 2021 7:10 PM

There is something phony about this labor shortage.

Companies seem to have greatly expanded the number of hoops that applicants need to jump thru.

by Anonymousreply 109October 23, 2021 7:14 PM

r108, people would need to work to produce sufficient value to be able to provide for themselves. The amount of value produced per day would differ by job.

by Anonymousreply 110October 24, 2021 2:50 AM

R53, it's not their own money. They're not going to check. The banks didn't even to verify anything when they handed out the money. Some rapper with no employees was handed millions in loans

by Anonymousreply 111October 24, 2021 9:35 AM

[quote] It’s unfortunate because it’s going to hurt a lot of people, but higher wages will lead to increased automation. Businesses like fast food restaurants don’t have a pot of gold locked in a safe in the back room that they can dole out to the workers.

Automation was ALWAYS going to do away with these jobs. Now it will just do it sooner.

Seattle Washington has a $15/hour minimum wage. They charge the same amount for a hamburger in a Seattle Mcdonalds as they do in Georgia Mcdonalds that has a $7.25/hour minimum wage. And both franchise owners both make a profit.

The same almost applies to Europe, where they pay much, much more than even a Seattle Mcdonalds does, and the franchise owner pays higher taxes and NHS contributions, and is able to make a profit. Their prices are not much higher than in the states. Their employees make enough that don't have to work 2 and 3 jobs. They also get at least 3 weeks vacation a year and paid family leave

I know a Mcdonalds franchise owner in Georgia. He doesn't even offer health insurance to any of his full time employees. Georgia has not expanded Medicaid either. He says Obamacare rules state he must offer his employees low cost health care and he can't find low cost healthcare to provide them with. They're on their own. He has had a shortage, but hasn't had to shut down his businesses

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2021 9:59 AM

[quote] Seattle Washington has a $15/hour minimum wage. They charge the same amount for a hamburger in a Seattle Mcdonalds as they do in Georgia Mcdonalds that has a $7.25/hour minimum wage.

No, it’s not the same price, as the chart in the linked article shows. Why would you try to state that when you knew it would be easy for people to catch you lying?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 24, 2021 10:12 AM

r99, why can't you hire the person who has limited scheduling and then hire another who can do the days that person cannot? It's a win-win because then you keep two people happy, they get to work the hours they want and you get two employees.

It's time to think outside the box of this "full time" bullshit. There is no reason anyone should need to put in more hours either. If people are asked to work overtime, then the business has no clue how to run efficiently. I never understood why companies would rather work their employees to death rather than just hire more help.

by Anonymousreply 114October 24, 2021 10:44 AM

I'm in the healthcare field and went through some want ads for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. Most of the jobs were part time and PRN (when ever needed). PRN hours are usually 32 hours a month. Most of the time they are two (8) hr shifts, every other weekend.

There were barely any full time job listings. The FT listings they did have were for places that are ALWAYS hiring. They're really shitty jobs. They can't keep anyone in those places, they always quit

by Anonymousreply 115October 31, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote] No, it’s not the same price, as the chart in the linked article shows. Why would you try to state that when you knew it would be easy for people to catch you lying?

I got the info on the Bill Maher show. Some inequality expert said the prices were the same. I didn't think she'd go on the show and lie. So I just did my own research and actually called a Seattle McDonald's and their price for a Big Mac is $5.79 and I called a Atlanta, Ga McDonald's and it's $5.29

You are right.

It's 50 cents more for a Big Mac in Seattle, where the minimum wage is between $15.00-$16.69

Atlanta's minimum wage is $7.25/hour and most of their McDonald's do not offer healthcare to full time employees

So at the end of the day, Seattle's minimum wage is more than twice that of Georgia's. Their McDonald's charge 50 cents more for a Big Mac and still able to make a profit

by Anonymousreply 116October 31, 2021 6:47 PM

I just checked McDonald's in 4 other areas and the Big Macs are $5.29 each

The only thing that differs is how much their minimum wage is.

Los Angeles, California - minimum wage $15 or more

Phoenix, Arizona - minimum wage $12.15/hour

NYC (Upper East Side) - minimum wage $15/hour

Austin, Texas - minimum wage $7.25/hour

I don't really give a single fuck what the article you posted says. I just went and checked these prices myself. You're free to check the prices too

by Anonymousreply 117October 31, 2021 7:07 PM

I work for a company that I know is actually having a labour shortage and we've lost some people. We’re not entry level or retail though and knowing how scummy those companies can be I wouldn’t put this kind of thing past them.

by Anonymousreply 118October 31, 2021 7:10 PM

So what even if it’s a 50 cents difference. It’s worth it. Nobody noticed the extra 50 cent as fast food sales are at all time highs even with one person working each store.

by Anonymousreply 119October 31, 2021 9:24 PM

Who tf is calling places all over the country when you can look it up online?

Troll much?

by Anonymousreply 120October 31, 2021 10:08 PM

Indeed is a waste of time. There have to be better job search sites out there. Most of the job listing is asking applicants to have five years of experience with a bachelor degree . By the way those companies are paying between 18-19 dollars an hour here in New York city. I just shake my head at the audacity of those companies. A company that pays someone 40k to perform four different position isn't enough to survive in nyc. There is so much exploitation happening in the job market and you have lots of people completing for shitty jobs.

by Anonymousreply 121October 31, 2021 10:47 PM

indeed sucks but it's easy to apply - getting a callback is another thing though

by Anonymousreply 122October 31, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]Millennials and zoomers weren't in positions of power when "open offices" started trending towards the norm. The decision to be cheap and "encourage communication" came from GenX & Boomers.

Actually, the Millennials were in a position of power as employees demanding a work environment they were used to in school and growing up. Boomers LOVED cubicles, AKA Office Space. They beguilingly were told if they want to appeal to younger employees they needed to change. Specifically they were told that Millennials like working in groups more than a hierarchy. The side benefit was that is was a bit cheaper. Open office plans, Foosball tables, conversation steps, fake grass, and free food and casual street clothes would be unheard of in a typical Boomer office. I would be looked down upon.

by Anonymousreply 123November 1, 2021 12:22 AM

You silly queens arguing about the poor McDonald's franchises. Get a clue, they are not even in the business of selling hamburgers, their real business strategy has always been about real estate. Every location is worth millions. They could give a shit about actually making money from flipping burgers. No I am not just making this shit up, there are business books and articles about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 1, 2021 1:15 AM

I received a single low balled offer from indeed.

by Anonymousreply 125November 1, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote]it's HR fascism that will have certain prejudices for applicants

HR ruins everything. Have they ever really done anything good for society at large other than being a down low version of a corporate spy and armature lawyer for the company? Job descriptions are a page long these days even for entry level positions. There was a time when posting an add cost money and a typical job ad was about one or two sentences long.

Sure, it's nice to have the luxury to spell out exactly what you are looking for in an employee, but the lists and requirements have become so long the jobs are almost impossible to fill. You don't need a full page of text with 4 or 5 paragraphs of cliche HR buzz words for a job that only requires a few years of experience. Plus, as HR is the ones writing those things, they have no clue what those skills listed actually are. They just regurgitate what the hiring manager told them. So how screwed up is it that they are the first ones to screen out the resumes?

Maybe when Millennials or Gen Z get into power they will realize what a wast of time HR is, it's ripe for change. In fact, I have noticed ads from several companies out there offering to be HR for your office in the cloud so to speak. No more HR managers in the office for 80,000 a year, you can pay a service $300 a month to do the same thing remotely as needed.

by Anonymousreply 126November 1, 2021 1:35 AM

R125. Was it minimum wage with a long job description.

by Anonymousreply 127November 1, 2021 1:43 AM

No, a bait and switch Advertising the position paid a salary but offering less.

by Anonymousreply 128November 1, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote] Who tf is calling places all over the country when you can look it up online? Troll much?

I only called 2 places. I actually checked Uber Eats for the prices, but I was getting the same prices all over the country and I thought Uber Eats might be wrong or might have established a set price all across the country.

by Anonymousreply 129November 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Well, you need a life!

by Anonymousreply 130November 1, 2021 3:43 AM

Don't waste your time on Linkedin, it's complete BS. Any HR Frau or recruiter shaming you for not being on there is full of crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 1, 2021 4:28 AM

r129, you’re such a liar. You got caught in your first lie and you followed with another. Even using your Uber Eats method, you can see that prices vary. Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, and Miami had four different prices. Prices at McDonald’s vary across the country, and even within a city, as anyone who has traveled knows.

by Anonymousreply 132November 1, 2021 7:38 AM

Those companies tend to ghost the applicants. They call you for an in person or video interview but after wards you hear nothing from the company rep. They expect you to show up for their interview and not ghost them. You call multiple times trying to find out when you should expect a call back with an offer. The person that interviewed you kept telling you he or she will call when they make a decision. It is all bullshit since the job post stays up for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 133November 1, 2021 10:09 AM

The media has failed to do due diligence and write just as many stories from the other side of the coin. That being, the disrespect and ghosting and LYING many companies feel is perfectly normal and acceptable behavior. There was a time when people applied for a job and the would always get a straight answer. It was considered rude and unprofessional to leave an employee hanging or never respond. This was PRE- Boomer era.

Now a days it's totally one sided. Most business owners HR managers and their ilk think it's their right to act this way. They can lie about what the job actually entails, how much turn over it is, the problems the company has going on, they can ghost you, never respond to a call, not even acknowledge the received your resume. Yet, they DEMAND respect and total loyalty and what they consider "professional behavior" even though they have none themselves.

by Anonymousreply 134November 1, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote]No, a bait and switch Advertising the position paid a salary but offering less.

Reminds me of those "marketing" jobs that turn out to be peddling knives at Sam's Club or selling DirecTV door to door.

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2021 1:24 PM

Companies in my area are posting up jobs on Indeed and pulling them after they get responses. Then they repost them and complain to the media that no one is applying, meanwhile they ignore the ones that did apply. It's a con job meant to make people feel sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2021 1:35 PM

[quote]Some rapper with no employees was handed millions in loans

and the reason you know about him is because he was caught and has not has his loan forgiven, R111. Either he will pay it back or default, and the one thing we know about the banks is that no one defaults on a loan any more (except for the largest receivers of our socialist largess, the vaunted "too big to fail" financial institutions who have received... what, three or four bailouts at this point?).

Yes, there was a ton of fraud inherent in the PPP program. When faced with this crisis, either the government shoveled money out the door or the economy collapsed. Legislators knew that there were going to be incidents of fraud and they decided it was better to try and make sure as many people as possible received aid as quickly as possible and we'd have to deal with the cleanup after the fact. It was all clearly spelled out in the documents businesses and owners signed in order to get the loans, and now they're having to actually prove that they spent the money in the way it was intended, or the loans remain just that... a loan that must be repaid. My company had to provide receipts and payroll records on the comparatively minuscule loan we received, and while the process was thorough it was not onerous.

I have to give credit to the government in this instance. The money served a purpose and was a lifeline to a lot of people who would have suffered unfairly due to Trump's incompetence at dealing with one of the few major tasks a president has, keeping the American people safe. There will be a lot of stories coming out about the fraud and financial crimes committed over the PPP program, but that doesn't mean the program was a failure; it means that the program was a success and the people who committed the fraud are getting caught. Pelosi and the Democrats played this one brilliantly, using the Republicans' religion against them by making the banks responsible for rooting out the crooks or receive no federal backing of the loans.

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2021 2:19 PM

Talk about moving goalposts.

"There's no price difference between Seattle and Atlanta."

"You're stupid and you lie. Here's a source that supports me."

"OK, I just double-checked the expert I got the quote from by calling two restaurants in Seattle and Atlanta., and the difference is tiny."

"LOL, WTF, get a life, loser!"

I see the spirit of honest inquiry is alive and well among the DataLounge brain trust.

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2021 4:01 PM

I have a nephew in the states who would love to wait tables. He is on time with experience and cannot find a gig. 100 resume, no response.

He finally got a grocery delivery gig.

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2021 4:13 PM

he brings up a big issue in the labor market which is that many part time jobs require full time availability. Meaning the employer makes a different schedule every week. Try going to school, arranging child care, or juggling 2nd jobs when you have no idea what your hours are and can change.

Starbucks did this for years and an employee rebellion finally made them agree to stop doing this.

i know someone who worked for a fast casual salad chain restaurant and they would schedule him for 3 hour shifts at lunch and then send him home early if it was a slow day. so he didn't even get the full three hours of work.

by Anonymousreply 140November 1, 2021 4:27 PM

R132

Hey shit for brains, those are the prices I pulled up on Uber Eats

And here's my search history. You really are a stupid fucking cunt. When you click on the photo, you'll notice the date of 10/31

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 1, 2021 7:54 PM

You REALLY need a life!

by Anonymousreply 142November 1, 2021 8:05 PM

r141, trying to convince people that McDonald’s has the same prices in every restaurant across the country is like trying to convince people the Earth is flat. You’re fighting a losing battle with such an absurd assertion. As the previously posted report indicates, the price is higher in Seattle than across Georgia, despite your lie to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 143November 1, 2021 11:53 PM

While I enjoy the middle fingers at corporate culture - the stupid open offices, team building, contests - I am especially happy to see my company’s corporate hiring women boohooing about having problems hiring people.

The pay is abysmal, the hours are long and corporate cost cutting has sucked the fun out of the industry.

When I read about this witch complaining I was over the moon. Almost as happy as the day corporate sent coffee mugs that said “You’re Awesome!” and many got thrown away on the spot or donated to charity.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2021 12:37 AM

LinkedIn reminds me of Facebook. Uselessness.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2021 1:44 AM

Trae crowder for the win

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2021 1:55 AM

Linkedin is basically dataming your info. As the saying goes, If the platform is free, YOU are the product.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2021 6:21 AM

I heard the other shady thing that is happening is this:

New employees are getting paid more money than the people who are training them. So the older employees ask for a raise. Employer says no. They quit, are told to quit or are fired. The only way for people to get the new higher salary, or benefits, is quit and reapply on the new job posting. Or look for another higher paying job elsewhere, and everyone is hiring. Employers are not giving establish employees raises and better benefits. So EMPLOYERS again are a BIG cause of most of it.

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2021 7:57 AM

Another thing I heard is this:

I heard from nurses that they are not getting raises or better benefits. Even those hospitals and medical facilities are saying their is a shortage and are having trouble retaining nurses. Also, Nurses are being told to give money to the hospital. These for-profit hospitals have an internal charity scheme and they are demanding nurses and other staff to to give automatic donations from their paychecks to the hospitals (who are for-profit).

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2021 8:03 AM

I dont know about your take on Nurses. I have several relatives that are Nurses and they make close to 100,000 a year. Ones in a big city, but the other one is in a very rural town making about the same. Plus they are about to retire and they both get life long pensions.

Nursing is one of the few industries that has had crazy salary increases over the last decade. I am talking about RN with a 4 year nursing degree not the lower LVN with a 2 year certificate.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2021 9:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!