Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Welp. We have a month until Thanksgiving and two months until Christmas.

Are you excited? Anxious? Depresssed?

What are your plans?

Please share.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2021 2:49 AM

I actually am really looking forward to the holidays. Time off, decorating, plus we have a little domestic trip planned the week after. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 9:57 PM

I really want to decorate my place and make it warm and cozy.

I probably can't' make it to visit my family this year, so if I have to be stuck at home, I might as well make it nice.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 9:59 PM

Gather on Dec 24 dockside at The Port of Los Angeles and wave to your Christmas gifts floating half a mile off shore

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 10:08 PM

My completed all my holiday shopping yesterday!

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 10:20 PM

No immediate plans for either but it will probably be dinner at my dad's house.

I am hosting a night before Thanksgiving party though, in lieu of going out to the bars and risking DUI's.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 10:30 PM

Weather is too warm and sunny here in the upper midwest. It's hard to even get in the mood for Halloween

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 10:33 PM

i have no clue what my plans yet. I don't know if my relatives are doing anything this year because of covid or not. I'm starting to buy gifts already. I want to get it done as early as possible with all the shipping delays.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 11:07 PM

WTF? We're in a pandemic. Who cares about these things?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 11:26 PM

R4 = Jar Jar Binks.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 11:29 PM

[quote] WTF? We're in a pandemic. Who cares about these things?

That is so 2020.

People are back to living their lives again.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 11:42 PM

WELP.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2021 12:32 AM

R20. No, they're not.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2021 12:52 AM

I agree with R8. Don't count your chickens... etc.

Remember the "Hot Girl Summer" of 2021 that most of us never got around to having?

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2021 12:55 AM

I've splurged and bought some Halloween decorations at the Dollar Tree. Went to dinner last night at Fogo with my partner, daughter and her boyfriend and we discussed Thanksgiving. I bought a new fake skinny tree, with changing lights, and snap together power. I'm looking FORWARD to the coming holidays. Color me positive!

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2021 1:01 AM

I thought/hoped the Welp Troll died. But, apparently, he's alive. My condolences.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2021 1:04 AM

Unless new variant comes along

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2021 2:06 AM

I don’t like Thanksgiving or Christmas because it means hosting or traveling to see out-of-town family I dont really care for

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] I don’t like Thanksgiving or Christmas because it means hosting or traveling to see out-of-town family I dont really care for

Awww... that's always the fun part for me.

Although I prefer to be hosted by family, rather than do the hosting.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2021 2:18 AM

I wish I felt that way, R18. instead I am just always relieved when it’s January and I wont have to see them for another 10 months

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2021 2:25 AM

Just to add to what I wrote, I love sitting around the living room or kitchen and catching up with family, making some warm drinks, picking at different foods that are usually set out, going shopping, and just other relaxing and fun stuff like that.

It's kind of how holidays used to be, but aren't so much any more.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2021 2:28 AM

Christmas has become so commercial. This year we’re going to make our own Christmas presents 🎁 for each other.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2021 2:45 AM

I've very mixed feelings this year. Quite a few deaths last winter, and these will be the first holidays without them. Among the survivors there are some who want to soldier on, and others who want to just ignore the season. I know everyone grieves differently -but I feel caught in the middle. The only think I know for sure is we won't all be sitting around a table this year, and that is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2021 2:59 AM

Staying in two of my favorite hotels.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2021 3:01 AM

I don't celebrate Christmas. All the excitement happens at Thanksgiving, which done right is more like a gender reveal party!

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote] All the excitement happens at Thanksgiving, which done right is more like a gender reveal party!

Huh?

Can anyone make sense of this statement?

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2021 4:14 PM

I like Thanksgiving better too, all the good stuff without all the Christmas pressure, plus it has nothing to do with any religion. Everyone can celebrate it

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2021 5:37 PM

We're going to have an ugly sweater contest at work.

Some help, please!

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2021 6:57 PM

Mixed feelings. I saw something on social media about how it's 2.5 months to 2022 and we haven't even processed 2020 yet. I kind of feel like that.

But perhaps I will get in the holiday spirit?

The time just keeps passing and passing. 2022. Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2021 7:00 PM

Just go with it, R28.

Forget dwelling on the past and all the problems that came with it.

Start new. Have fun. Live life.

It's all we can do.

None of us knows how much time we have left, so make the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 7:37 PM

Backlog of ships at California's two largest ports hits highest-ever record as supply chain crisis continues: 'Normal' number of vessels would be 17 at anchor compared to 100 this week

Meanwhile Pete is home watching his boxed set of Real Housewives DVDs

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Several years ago, my husband and I decided we were tired of being participants in other people's holiday celebrations and gatherings instead of doing our own thing. So we've started taking trips over Thanksgiving week. We've done a couple of Caribbean cruises, visited some old friends in Arizona and went to Australia and New Zealand over the last few years (except 2020). We have another Caribbean cruise scheduled for this year. I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 9:58 PM

Taking a vacation during the holidays is tacky.

You can take a vacation any other time of the year.

Holidays are for spending time at home and with the family.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 10:00 PM

My parents are both dead and I'm not interested in spending time with my maskless, anti-vaxx relatives. But thanks for your input, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2021 10:05 PM

I’m sad.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2021 10:06 PM

Before I was a regular here, the answer to this appropriate question would have been much different from my answer now. My answer now is that I'm thrilled the holidays are coming up! I'm going to be thrilled to the marrow with stories of family gatherings and the fights that are started when someone isn't wearing a mask, someone is lecturing someone about wearing a mask, whole legs of turkey being hurled at a guest, Christmas trees shaken so hard ornaments crash to the hardwood floor, shattering, and the stories of the pets that had to be rushed to the after hours vets to be treated.

Please don't get me wrong about pets; I think it's horrible that this could happen. But it seems that at this point in the story of current culture, stupidity is as common as forgetting one of the fourteen passwords your job makes you change on a weekly basis.

I thought I had reached the final depths of my loathing for most people. The pandemic has changed that. Those limits no longer know any depth. It's a shame, because in reality, most people are reasonable and are aware of the non spoken rules of the society we exist in. It's the few whose sense of hubris is begging to be brought down with an anti-aircraft missile, that make me sorry for those around them.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2021 10:14 PM

As I get older, I'm no longer a fan of the Holidays. I'm not close with my family except my sister and going to my Mom's for either holiday means a three hour drive in traffic both ways, listening to my alcoholic step father throw around the "n" word and watching my sister in law sleep on the couch while the rest of us prep and then clean.

I stopped going a few years ago and now just try to find a nice restaurant that serves holiday dinners and I meet up with friends who don't have family to go home to. No clean up, no crazy yelling, no reliving my childhood trauma, no traffic.

I like the Xmas decorations but that's about it. I don't get time off other than the standard days so I'm working most of the holidays anyway.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2021 10:24 PM

So long as the U.S. remains a festering pustule of unvaccinated Covid spreading fanatics, which doesn't seem likely to improve anytime soon, I'm not going to any fucking festive get togethers.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 10:39 PM

I’m so fucking horny.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2021 10:40 PM

I love the smell of ham and turkey in the oven, stuffing on the stove top, and scented candles in the living room.

My mom always does that.

When I was younger, I would just pick at the food and goof off.

Now that I'm older I help out a lot.

But I just love the smell of the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2021 11:53 PM

It’s all downhill after Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2021 12:44 PM

Seriously, R40?

Why's that?

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2021 9:48 PM

If you don’t understand, R41, you’re simply a Halloweenie.

Just kidding. You’re wonderful. I just wanted to say “Halloweenie”

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 9:51 PM

Can a kind DL subscriber start a Holidays 2021 Recipes/Food thread? I’m hoping to type fat and share some ideas for sweets, apps and sides for the Holidays. Thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2021 11:31 AM

I’m Buddhist until the end of the year so I’m wrapping in an Asian theme.

Bro’s new wife is a humorless supercunt.

I can’t wait for the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2021 12:10 PM

R43, you don't have to be a subscriber to start threads -- go ahead!

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2021 12:14 PM

r45 when did that start? I thought you had to be a paid subscriber to start threads??

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2021 12:45 PM

R46, I think you may have to register and log in, but that's free -- and you can still post as "anonymous", like me.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2021 12:54 PM

Thanks R45 come over and check out my first ever thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2021 1:14 PM

Good job, R48 -- wasn't that easy? I'm R1 on your debut thread, with a recipe I've posted on DL before because it bears repeating any time.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2021 1:47 PM

Shipping traffic of the world. Note the West Coast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2021 12:03 AM

Or this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] Christmas has become so commercial.

Were the three wisemen at Berdine's wearing Ralph Lauren ski parkas?

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2021 1:22 AM

Please Dawn! Not on Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2021 1:44 AM

That's terrifying, R50.

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2021 1:46 AM

Dreading the holidays. 2020 divided my family. Everybody’s weird. No idea what to do since I probably won’t get invited anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2021 1:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2021 2:39 AM

That must be an anomaly due to geography, R56.

I don't think that most places in the country will see gas prices that high.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2021 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!