Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Japan PM says Fukushima wastewater release can't be delayed

TOKYO (AP) — Japan's new prime minister on Sunday said the planned mass disposal of wastewater stored at the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant cannot be delayed, despite concerns from local residents.

Speaking at his first visit to the facility since taking office, Fumio Kishida said his government would work to reassure residents nearby the plant about the technical safety of the wastewater disposal project.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant suffered a triple meltdown in 2011 following a massive earthquake and tsunami.

Kishida's brief tour of the facility by its operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, focused on the ongoing decommissioning of the plant, and the massive amount of treated but still radioactive water stored there.

“I felt strongly that the water issue is a crucial one that should not be pushed back," Kishida told reporters after the tour.

The government and TEPCO announced plans in April to start releasing the water into the Pacific Ocean in the spring of 2023 over the span of decades.

The plan has been fiercely opposed by fishermen, residents and Japan’s neighbors, including China and South Korea.

Contaminated cooling water has continued to leak from the damaged reactors since the disaster. The water has been pumped up from basements and stored in about 1,000 tanks which the operator says will reach their capacity late next year.

Japanese officials say disposal of the water is indispensable for the plant cleanup, and that its release into the ocean is the most realistic option.

Kishida said the government will do its utmost to address concerns the water disposal will hurt local fishing and other industries.

“We will provide explanation about the safety (of the disposal) from a scientific viewpoint and transparency in order to dispel various concerns,” Kishida said.

Japan has requested assistance by the International Atomic Energy Agency to ensure the discharge meets global safety standards, including treating the wastewater so its radioactivity levels are below legal limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 12:41 PM

Between china giving us Covid, and japan poisoning the ocean and fish, those fucking apes are really trying to kill our planet.

Aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2021 4:42 AM

Honey Chevron exec poisoned the water in Peru. People there now gets cancer. That water now also circulate everywhere. R1

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2021 5:18 AM

OP = R1 = DL's famous Asian-hater.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2021 5:24 AM

They have been dumping this shit in the ocean for 11 fucking years!

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2021 5:42 AM

Exactly, R4.

If it's so safe, I think we should dump it in the middle of Tokyo, and let them tell us how "safe" that wastewater is.

If it's good enough for the ocean, then it's good enough for Tokyo!!!

Fucking cunts.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2021 5:51 AM

A pleasant reminder that there are 23 GE Mark I reactors in the U.S. that share the same flawed design as the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2021 6:02 AM

I can't believe people are still eating raw fish. dumb cunts.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2021 10:27 AM

Yes R1, just like those fucking apes at Exxon (Valdez), BP (Deepwater Horizon), Flint Water, Three Mile Island, Marshall Islands. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2021 11:15 AM

I do not think cooking the fish kills any radioactive ingredient. It needs to be irradiated, just like human donor blood/plasma cells. It is filtered through an irradiation machine. Also, human urine samples needs to be stored in a metal box (fridge will do) until the radioactiion is neutralized.(7days).

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2021 11:23 AM

Fukushima is why I sharply curtailed my eating tuna.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2021 12:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!