Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Cumming has written an uproarious memoir!

Here's an extract!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 2:02 PM

“aside from it being the only funny scene in the entire movie, is that I am basically cruising Tom.”

And suddenly I thought: ‘I’m Alan…Cumming.’

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 3:08 PM

“ Tom was sweet and approachable and talked lovingly of his wife, and no, nothing registered on my gaydar.” 😆

If the book get ps decent reviews, I might buy it. Been a while since I’ve read a dishy book. Would like to hear what he says about Cabaret and working with Natasha Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 3:44 PM

It doesn't seem very uproarious.

Just being honest.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 4:21 PM

Alan is nothing if not perspicacious.

The Scottish are notorious storytellers.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 4:30 PM

The fun they had making "Spice World" does come through on the screen--it's a silly lark, like "Josie & the Pussycats" a few years later. Best enjoyed while wasted.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 4:34 PM

I hope he'll dish on the Good Wife and the drama between Julianna Marguiles and Archie Panjabi.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 4:35 PM

He seems very appreciative and likable. I'll check it out, thanks for bringing it to my attention, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 4:44 PM

Everyone adored Natasha Richardson so I doubt he’ll have anything dishy to say.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 4:52 PM

Like Robin Williams, Alan Cumming's manic, twee, over-the-top puckishness has always given me hives, but perhaps that is the real him?

I do appreciate people invested in the "experience" of their lives who manage to see around the rest. After reading this I like him a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 5:23 PM

WHO?!

Some character actor has a memoir?!?!

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 7:15 PM

Nope, a lead actor with an impressive film, stage and TV record.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 7:21 PM

Did anyone see Alan in Bent?

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 10:52 PM

After seeing the 2014 "re-revival," I think it'd be great if Sam Mendes made an updated film of "Cabaret" based on his 1996 production starring Emma Stone as Sally Bowles (she was great in the role) and Alan as the Emcee while he's still young enough to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 11:02 PM

"Memoirs OF A Bisexual."

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 11:04 PM

His previous book - written after his experience researching his family on Who Do You Think You Are - is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 8:22 AM

I am not a fan of his performances, maybe he is a better writer.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 8:25 AM

Thankfully he’s not some annoying forest imp in real life. His episode of WDYTYA and of Portrait Artist Of The Year are really good.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 9:02 AM

r2 “nothing registered on my gaydar”

As if Cummings would risk offending Cruise who would instantly sue any questioning of his all too apparent heterosexuality. Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 9:12 AM

...bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 9:19 AM

The world doesn't need you R10.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 9:55 AM

I’m with R3 — if you’re going to provide extracts from something you call uproarious, then the extract should be too. I’m not in the least surprised that an actor interrupts having sex with someone to take a call from his agent.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 10:26 AM

[quote]he's still young enough to pull it off

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 10:30 AM

He's a major snob.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 10:42 AM

Bisexual? Really? Hard to believe. Anyway, maybe Tom Cruise is really straight, who knows, hard to tell about this one. To me he also seems straight. Or Alan is not his type so his gaydar registered nothing because of sexual indifference.

But that this his the only funny scene in Eyes wide shut? The funniest scene was with the pervo Russian salesman selling fancy dress costumes, played by fantastic Rade Serbedzija.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 10:57 AM

He’s BI? He seems straight out gay. I can’t see a woman finding his flamboyant self sexually appealing.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 11:04 AM

Rade Serbedzija plays King Lear in theatre here in Croatia, but in Holywood the poor guy always played the Russian villain.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 11:05 AM

Absolute bullshit:

One day on set, I was getting a little sweaty with all the lights and the cramped confines, so Robert waited until Stanley was preoccupied and then snuck towards me brandishing a powder puff. Suddenly Stanley turned to us and barked, “What are you doing?” Robert leapt in the air, terrified. “I was just…” he stammered. “NO makeup!” said Stanley as though he were at a protest. I felt I had to intervene. “Stanley, it’s just, well…” I gestured to my forehead. “It’s the shining, Stanley!”

In that moment I realised what an incredibly goofy, yet a propos, thing to say to the man who had terrified us all with his movie of the same title. Stanley smiled, the crew began to giggle, and soon we were all guffawing at my ditziness.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 11:13 AM

I once changed next to him at the Greenwich Ave Equinox. Seriously unattractive in real life.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 11:38 AM

Two marriages to two women and currently married to a man.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 12:49 PM

I love him in The Anniversary Party (great underrated film).

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2021 12:53 PM

Oscar Wilde was married to a woman, and a friend of mine, 100% gay, the gayest gay there is. He is a father, too. So no, a marriage to one or more women doesn’t make a guy bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2021 12:53 PM

What a middling actor he is. A memoir? Oh please

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2021 1:00 PM

When Eyes Wide Shut and Spiceworld are the heights of your movie career…well

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2021 1:01 PM

I still haven't figured out Lou Reed or Bowie. Susan Sarandon claims in this interview she had a secret affair with Bowie, but then again she might have just dreamed it on Ambien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2021 1:06 PM

I don’t know about Lou Reed, but Bowie seems pretty obviously bi. If he was getting his start today, he’d probably say he was pansexual.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2021 1:11 PM

[quote]Oscar Wilde was married to a woman, and a friend of mine, 100% gay, the gayest gay there is.

Your friend was married to Oscar wild?

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2021 1:28 PM

I’m quite sure I already read his memoir like five plus years ago something about songs for my father, did I time travel?

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2021 1:34 PM

He's likeable, but the prose is merely serviceable. So just another actor memoir.

Not a gifted actor writer who can lift you into other realms like Rupert Everett.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2021 1:51 PM

No, Cums wrote a memoir that focused on surviving his psycho abusive father. This seems more like fun showbiz stuff.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2021 2:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!