Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: A Charming Victorian for you to consider

Cute at first glance, but sprawling, this Victorian is filled with natural light, with period lighting and many original features. $275k in Mississippi. Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2021 12:03 AM

Thanks OP. I like how the first floor seems to ramble on in different directions, and the volumes of the rooms. The 2nd, dormer window floor, is creepy, not charming.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 11:51 AM

Why is it so cheap? Is it in foreclosure?

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 11:53 AM

It’s in Mississippi. It should be way cheaper as it needs a paint job and de-wallpapering and De-Frauing. It has odd touches too and a rambling floor plan (?).

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 11:59 AM

Because it's in Moss Point, Mississippi, r2.

There are 163 photos in the listing. Give me about 3 hours and I'll be back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 12:20 PM

As long as no one weighing over 75 lbs. steps onto this porch, it should be just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 12:21 PM

A lot of mildew and hideous carpeting. The wallpaper is a bit much. The outside needs painting and the the attic/dormer room looks like someone is being punished by being there. Why did they include the barn that's literally falling apart?

Is this a B&B? An estate sale?

Moss Point is a relatively poor town near the gulf that was damaged by Katrina--I wonder how well the house recovered from that.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 12:24 PM

I think I'd constantly be getting lost in my own house if I lived there.

Anyway, endless humidity, cockroaches, hurricanes, hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 12:26 PM

Tear down the house. Keep the oaks.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 12:28 PM

I love that the house shows no signs of anyone actually living there, save the mattress on the floor of one bedroom and the fully stocked laundry cupboard.

As if they could not have moved the mattress out of the way for the photo.

And yes R6, I also wondered about the collapsed and rotting barn photo

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 12:30 PM

The staging seems pretty random, like that cheap 1950s spinet piano in the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 12:35 PM

Someone put a bathroom in the basement and they not only carpeted it, they put a shower next to the original electrical wiring.

I can foresee absolutely no issues arising from water splashing on 115-year-old exposed wiring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 12:45 PM

R11- I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that the OG wiring was no longer in place and the photo was just to show you how old the house was.

But yeah,

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 12:48 PM

Looks a bit like Blanche's Belle Reve!

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 12:57 PM

Very nice exterior, but the interior doesn't live up to the promise: it's too modest in its spaces and detailing, the ordinariness of it a letdown from the exterior. It's not terrible, just nothing to spark even a momentary flash of thinking "I could live in Moss Point."

To live so near the coast in a climate where the humidty level hovers so often near to 100%, a frame house will require very frequent maintenance and repainting, a new paint job of the best quality will start to look rough within two years easily. The interior with its 1980s-1990s Reagan-Bush/!Quayle Era vision in Holly Hobbie floral prints and ugly stripes and teals and maroons and other sick colors of an imagined Victorian whorehouse is fucking ugly. All that wallpaper and wall-to-wall carpet (everywhere) anything added from the past 80 years has to go, including that ugly stone-veenered fireplace.. The kitchen is awkward because they worked around the exiting posts making a space too wide between the tow ranks of worktop space — almost wide enough for their tiny little "island" but not even that. That's easily reworked and the kitchen easily upgraded substantially without spending buckets of money. The bathrooms need updating (and that carpet, again, removed.) I'm wary of floors that have been half a century under wall-to-wall carpet and would insist on a thorough inspection (and of the foundations of the house as well, paying double-snake overtime for someone who doesn't mind such creatures to roll around under the house for a couple hours with an ice pick and a camera. The tumble-down barn is beyond repair and all that shit should be hauled away as it's filthy with snakes. Otherwise, the roof, pests as existing threats or past damage, and plumbing and electrical all these these could mount up substantially against the purchase price, and factor in that maintenance is a constant in that geography.

Here's another house of the period and type, almost directly across the street from it, that is under contract. A little more than half the size of OP's example and rougher (but in visible ways, no hidden by pink paint and sculpted wall-to-wall carpet from 50 or more years ago) it's only $125,000. That seems to me the more interesting interior with more commodious rooms and nicer details, and also a better plan and more flexibility to how you would furnish or use the house. OP's wins on exterior, this cheaper one wins on price and interior.

I could actually live in Mississippi in a couple of places. Moss Point is not one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 12:59 PM

Mississippi? Can I get hunky Ben Napier to handle the renovations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 1:02 PM

I hate Victorians AND swampy hot, hateful Mississippi. You couldn't give me this rotten old termite infested, mildew factory, but other then that it seems very charming

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 1:05 PM

Mississippi,.....goddamn

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 1:08 PM

Well, it's in the middle of nowhere on the boarder of Alabama. Not many friendly, gentlemen callers in that part of the swamp. I would offer to move it, as I do like a folly, but I am afraid it would fall to bits on the way. I bet it was lovely, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 1:10 PM

A lot of America is really cheap when you get away from the coasts r2. The average price for a home in Mississippi is 140k. Doesn't take much money to live like a king, but of course you are in fucking Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 1:10 PM

I like the smaller one posted but again, no pics of upstairs? Why did these victorian southerners build houses with rooms directly under sloped roofs? It does suit the climate.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 1:50 PM

Great bones- ghastly interior.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Well, they seem to have cornered the market on hideous wallpaper and window treatments.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 1:55 PM

R20: Attics or servants quarters.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 2:10 PM

Using the words Mississippi and Enjoy in the same paragraph shouldn't be done.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 3:02 PM

[Quote]I could actually live in Mississippi in a couple of places.

But could you really though r14? I guess the least terrible part would be the suburbs of Memphis, but I didn't love Memphis.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Nice price. No wonder people are moving south.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2021 3:34 PM

^ ... and regretting it. Moving south to Atlanta is a whole other world compared to moving south to Moss Point, Mississippi

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2021 3:39 PM

No one is moving to Mississippi, it is one of the few states that lost population in the last census.

Desirable parts of the south that people are moving to like Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville are not nearly this cheap (though still cheap compared to NY and LA)

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2021 3:47 PM

Agree the infrastructure needs to be built up, even Texans admit as much and I personally can't tolerate heat. But the price is attractive.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2021 3:49 PM

R25: Natchez or Oxford would be okay.

Architecturally, Vicksburg or Columbus or Holly Springs are interesting, but they are just too very hick. Natchez and Oxford are not exactly epicenters of worldly sophistication, but there are handfuls of interesting people and people who have been outside the county for purposes greater than buying cheap liquor. If I didn't require a thriving and constantly changing social life among your neighbors I could live a quiet life in either of the first two. The greatest drawback would be the distance to a proper airport.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2021 3:50 PM

Good luck getting furniture up those stairs.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2021 4:05 PM

Forget it, Jake. It’s Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2021 4:09 PM

LOVE the 2nd house . They said the 1st house was built in 1845,but I dont see it. Maybe there is a part of it that was,but that thing is pure victorian down to the transoms over the doors. Having grown up in the South,humidity will destroy a building faster than a hurricane. I couldnt imagine the work to keep either of those houses looking presentable. Paint every few years at the minimum. Neither nor,except for Biloxi the rest of that state is a shit hole full of stupidity.I dont even know if Biloxi is still viable,I havent been there since Katrina. It may very well suck now too.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2021 4:27 PM

The only entity that would inhabit that place is a ghostly spirit sentenced to exist there in eternal ectoplasmic damnation.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 4:53 PM

My late grandmother once told me that people used wallpaper everywhere to cover up cracking plaster. Makes me wonder what those walls are like.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 4:58 PM

Totes loves it, but this is odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 5:59 PM

Oxford is a college town (Ole Miss) and perhaps a bit more literate than its neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 6:12 PM

I thought Victorians were supposed to have a lot of convenient built-ins like shelves and cabinets and bay window type of stuff. I don't see any in this house. I lived in an Edwardian that had a couple of nice built-ins and it was really charming.

I don't like this house.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 6:13 PM

I love the exterior and would have a lot to do in the interior like get rid of all the hideous curtains and wallpaper, etc. but it's in fucking Mississippi so I'd rather throw myself into a vat of boiling Crisco than live there.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 6:15 PM

The bathrooms look circa 1970s. The kitchen ... '90s? I like white as much as the next person, but that's blinding.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 6:17 PM

Too much pink.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 6:21 PM

Even if you got rid of all of the ceiling fans, window treatments, and flowered wallpaper, I don't think it's a good Victorian house.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2021 6:36 PM

How disgusting is wall to wall carpet in a bathroom?!?

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2021 6:58 PM

Us young DL'ers would have loved having that little stage up in the attic. Perform little plays and musicals for grandma.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2021 8:48 PM

I might enjoy such towns if I were in my 30s or 40s and had plenty of cash to fund hot local rough trade who know how to have a good time. The house should be boozy with loud music and white trash in skimpy clothes. I'd put in screens everywhere, and get those industrial attic fans that suck in fresh air a rapid rate, Maybe build an underground aquifer cooling system. I liked heat and humidity when I was young. It's sexy.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2021 8:56 PM

No thank you, it's in Mississippi!

Mississippi will forever be tainted to me, for a number of reasons. That state has zero redeeming qualities. To many bad things have happened in that shithole state.

And I see know one has stated the the elephant in the room. I guess I won't either. That entire state needs to be saged because of its past.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2021 9:49 PM

[And I see know one has stated the the elephant in the room.]

R46 seems to have studied reading comprehension in the Mississippi Public School System

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2021 10:01 PM

Oh, I think it would be perfect for the "Best Little Whorehouse in Mississippi"!

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 11:48 AM

Just thinking of the skeletons that must be under the foundations gives me the shivers.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 1:00 PM

R25, I don't think there is a Memphis in Mississippi anymore...

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 5:38 PM

It's so charming I could kill myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 5:48 PM

DeSoto county MS borders Memphis dear r51. It is part of Mississippi, but a lot of the county functions as suburbs of Memphis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 5:54 PM

R50*

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 5:55 PM

R 52, from the Wikipedia entry for Memphis, Mississippi:

[quote] In 2004, the village of Memphis officially became part of the town of Walls.

As I said in R50, I don’t think there is a Memphis in Mississippi anymore.

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2021 12:00 AM

Don't you want some partying bisexual local trade to run a bareback train on you in those shabby chic salons? You can put in Chinese paper lanterns for flattering light so the boys stay good and hard.

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2021 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!