Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've been craving beef stew all day

No, I'm not going to make it myself and I don't want something like Dinty Moore. Who makes a good retail beef stew?

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2021 7:30 PM

Dinty Moore.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 6:24 AM

Maybe get a canned whole chicken and add some vegetables?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 6:28 AM

Costco

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 6:43 AM

That chicken is turning my stomach.

Get some good tender strak, brown it. throw iSimmer this aboutn frozen stew veggies. beef bouillon, parsley. S& P to taste.

Simmer half an hour or so until veg are cooked. Buy some great rolls and enjoy.

The reason for using steak is that it doesn't have to be simmered to tenderize.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 6:44 AM

That chicken is turning my stomach.

Get some good tender strak, brown it. throw iSimmer this aboutn frozen stew veggies. beef bouillon, parsley. S& P to taste.

Simmer half an hour or so until veg are cooked. Buy some great rolls and enjoy.

The reason for using steak is that it doesn't have to be simmered to tenderize.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 6:44 AM

I said that I'm not going to make it myself.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 6:47 AM

Is this a scat thread?

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 6:50 AM

Get beef-flavored Ramen Noodles, don't put in as much water as the instructions suggest, and cook it twice as long, until it's the desired, stew'y consistency.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 6:57 AM

R4 was enjoying some weekend drinkie poos.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 7:14 AM

Order a family meal from DoorDash, even though no one’s set foot in your house in decades.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 8:29 AM

Campbell's Chunky beef with country vegetables, can be a reasonable substitute. Just note that it has a brown gravy base, rather than tomato.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 11:00 AM

Greg can help out here.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 1:00 PM

If you want chicken, r2, try Shakira's recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 1:05 PM

OP types fat, lazy, and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 1:11 PM

That can in the picture looks like it just gave birth.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote] Greg can help out here.

Sorry, but I'm ill informed about "retail beef stew."

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 2:53 PM

It’s diarrhea

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 3:08 PM

I buy my beef stew at JC Penny.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 3:36 PM

If you're not going to make it yourself, ask a friend. If you're craving the flavors of a nice slow-cooked stew, you're not going to find it in a can or in the frozen section.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 3:40 PM

The Viet makes a great version of beef stew OP dear. Stop by your local Viet restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 3:41 PM

There may be a beef dish that comes close enough at your supermarket. Agreed Vietnamese beef stew can be awesome; we have no Vietnamese restaurants here, which is a shame as I love their coffee!

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Okay - in a pinch.

Get the extra large can of Dinty Moore stew for thickness. Add to that Trader Joe’s Beef Roast with Demi-glacé.

While you microwave the TJ’s roast beef:

In a large pan, sauté in olive oil a few carrots, a large onion (or two) and a few celery stalks, chopped bite-sized. When cooked, add salt, lots of ground black pepper and perhaps thyme if you have it.

Then add the stew to the vegetables, and stir on low to medium heat for 5 minutes or so. It’s light brown sludge for now, but will improve!

Add the TJ’s beef and ALL it’s dark delicious juices (the pouch is hot and has been pierced for the microwave, so be careful).

Break down the beef with a wooden spatula and stir until the stew gravy turns consistently darker with the Demi glacé.

Season to taste.

Takes about 30-40 minutes and is pretty damn good for “fast food”.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 3:54 PM

R21 Girlfriend get yourself some Viet Coffee Filter. It's not that expensive. Pump in Robusta coffee and top itoff with condensed milk. Voila

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 3:56 PM

Oh, and if you have an open bottle of red wine, pour a healthy shot of that in after the vegetables are cooked, maybe cover it and steep for about 5 minutes before you add the Dinty.

—R22

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 3:59 PM

And Cafe du Monde coffee & sweetened condensed milk. If you don't have the device at R23, you can used a drip coffee device. Frankly, I'm not even sure you need the Cafe du Monde. The key ingredient would be the sweetened condensed milk.

I'd love to try that Vietnamese beef stew, but I always order my usuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 4:07 PM

Dump it Beef Stew.

I was going to post the Sandra Lee Semi Home Made Beefy Stew recipe but it was too gross. You can look it up for yourself OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 4:46 PM

beef stew is sickening.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 4:47 PM

There are so many easy crockpot versions but if you can't be bothered, head on over to Walmart and get Patti LaBelle's frozen Beef Brisket Stew, it's decent. $9-ish.

If it's just comfort food you are craving, Patti's frozen Chicken and Biscuits is excellent and far better than the stew. $9-ish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 4:54 PM

Whenever a recipe has the word "dump" in it, I tend to take a pass.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2021 2:16 AM

Beef stew is so underrated

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote]The Viet makes a great version of beef stew OP dear. Stop by your local Viet restaurant.

Are you sure it's not dog meat?

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2021 2:22 AM

Canned stew is fine. The trick is in how you dress it. I recommend a half cup of raisins, a dash of soy sauce for umami flavor and a dollop of Hellman's right before you serve. I made it for my friends last week and they all agreed it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2021 2:26 AM

Raisins in beef stew? [bold]Raisins??[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2021 3:14 AM

[bold][italic]raisins???[/italic][/bold]

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2021 3:15 AM

That's not really Greg, R33. You can tell because he's not recommending prunes.

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]Whenever a recipe has the word "dump" in it, I tend to take a pass.

I see what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2021 3:25 AM

OP, you should make some this weekend and freeze half of it so you’ll be prepared for a day like this.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2021 3:34 AM

Potato chunks don't freeze well, they become mushy when thawed. But the rest of the stew could be frozen and then the potatoes could be chopped and boiled separately and added to the thawed stew. Not that OP is likely to make that much of an effort, twice!

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2021 3:54 AM

I tried R22's recipe, and it tastes like shit.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote] Canned stew is fine. The trick is in how you dress it. I recommend a half cup of raisins, a dash of soy sauce for umami flavor and a dollop of Hellman's right before you serve. I made it for my friends last week and they all agreed it was delicious.

This is not me. I know how to properly spell 'Hellman's'

Just another little boy who thinks he's amusing.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2021 3:01 PM

Auto correct strikes:

At least I know how to properly spell 'Hellmann's'

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote] That's not really Greg, [R33]. You can tell because he's not recommending prunes.

Who could be more clever than this douche?

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2021 3:03 PM

Beef stew really isn't that hard to make. I'll cheat and use the seasoning packets sometimes. I've also bought carrot/celery pre-cut sticks to make the prep super easy. I usually add some red wine to really bring out the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2021 3:17 PM

Make Brunswick stew i stead. Or pick it up from your local BBQ joint.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2021 3:18 PM

Places like Bob Evans and Cracker Barrell have decent beef stew/beef vegetable soup.

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2021 3:25 PM

Go to McDonald's and get a quarter pounder and a side of fries. Throw away all components of the burger except the meat patty. Take that and break it up into little chunks in a cooking pot. Cut up some fries into little pieces (they're potatoes!). Add some baby carrots (already cut up!). Then throw in some water and a beef bullion cube and cook it up until done.

Enjoy OP!

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2021 7:00 PM

Make a carne guisada instead.

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2021 7:24 PM

A good oven or crock pot recipe is no peek beef. If you make it with carrots and potato chunks it's very stew like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2021 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!