Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who else could have played Loretta in Moonstruck?

Yes, Cher was superb and unimprovable, but what if she wasn't available to star as Loretta in Moonstruck. Who else at the time might have played the role?

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 3:18 AM

The project was originally developed for Sally Field, which seems insane in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2021 4:10 AM

Did Debra Winger ever give a transformative performance? Most of the stuff I"ve seen her in she was kind of her usual film image.

Sort of makes you appreciate Cher in this. She did an accent, was repressed and glum i the beginning and then joyful at the end.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2021 4:10 AM

Cher and only Cher

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2021 4:11 AM

Barbra Streisand Edie Falco

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2021 4:18 AM

G, M, Lange or Sigourney could have all done it. Not sure if they would have brought enough comedy to it though. It really was a perfect role for Cher's talent. Too bad she didn't continue to expand her range. With this Silkwood and Come Back Jimmy Dean, Mask she really had a great start.

Even Witches of Eastwick gave her that great monologue she delivered perfectly where she tells off Nicholson (and you smell!)

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2021 4:26 AM

The right actress needs to be:

- believable as an old maid with a pushy family who’s given up on life enough to get engaged to a loser

- crazy enough to sell the table-clearing sex scene and the wolf/hand talk

- frumpy but beautiful enough to get a makeover and go to the opera

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2021 4:30 AM

I don't think Lange, G, or M could have played it. They were so patrician and not ethnic.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2021 4:31 AM

Kathleen Turner, but once with Nicolas Cage was more than enough for her...

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

Could Geena Davis have pulled it off? Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2021 4:56 AM

Geena Davis probably. (she didn't really breakthrough though until the next year.)

She did some movie (Angie I think?) where she played a Brooklyn girl. Yes good call the more I type she would have been a good choice if it was made a few years later.

Madonna? Doubt it. She's so ill at ease in films.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2021 5:00 AM

I think Madonna was still too young and sexy to play a slightly past her prime woman who worked for undertakers.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2021 5:03 AM

I'm kinda digging the idea of Rhea Perlman having a breakout movie role.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2021 5:06 AM

Bea Arthur. Loretta was a Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2021 5:11 AM

Sally Field is last in the poll yet she was in talks to do it prior to Cher getting it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2021 7:56 AM

I can't picture Sally Field in Moonstruck, but I can definitely see Cher starring in Not Without My Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2021 11:08 PM

I can definitely see Cher in "Without My Daughter"

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 3:00 AM

I don’t think Cher was that great in it. I mean, she couldn’t make me buy that any straight woman would find Nicholas Cage attractive.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!