Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just watched Chapelle’s Netflix special

Every single word he said is correct. Fuck the professional “critics.”

by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2021 6:43 PM

You aren't allowed to speak truth anymore. It will offend someone and their "truth".

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2021 2:06 PM

I suppose you found his AIDS joke on SNL refreshing, too. You’re so cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 2:10 PM

Loved every minute

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 2:03 AM

What was supposed to be so controversial about it? I watched it the other night. Everyone in the audience seemed to a hand-picked LGBT, etc., person. (He kept talking pointedly to the audience, saying "YOUR community." That seemed to indicate everyone was an invited gay, lesbian or trans guest.) He didn't say anything that outlandish. I did think the finale with the story about the friendship with his dear, departed, trans comic whom he recently befriended, allowed to open for one of his concerts, was subsequently mistreated on Twitter, and quickly and tidily off herself was a bit forced. I'm not saying it was made up or anything, but it sure came in handy as a mic drop, "fuck off" to audience members who didn't believe his kinship with the gay community. I have nothing against Chapelle. Sometimes I think he's incredibly funny and sometimes I think he's incredibly preachy. Like he himself said in the special, I think his real problem is with white people, who are the very same people who made him famous. So that's got to make him die a little inside every time he performs. My only real problem with the special was with his criticism of a gay bar patron who threatened to call the police when Chapelle clearly threatened him or her (I forget if it was a gay woman or man at this point.) He said calling the police was white privilege. No it's not. It's law abiding citizen privilege. If you threaten me physically, I'll call the police on your ass. If you have an outstanding record, that's your problem, not mine.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2021 11:17 PM

R4 = Karen, calling the police on any Black man.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2021 11:30 PM

Being correct is racist and sexist

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2021 11:34 PM

We need lynching back. For right-wing loonies too.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2021 11:34 PM

Wasn’t funny. He is leeching off the gay/black division.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2021 11:38 PM

I like Chapelle but it wasn't funny. He was catering the whole thing to the stupid trannies. I just watched Theo Von's Netflix special that came out today and it was really, really funny.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2021 11:47 PM

R1, Ironic, coming from people who constantly whine that they're "not allowed" to speak truth anymore yet here they are speaking their "truth".

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2021 11:53 PM

R8 and the brainless also don't know or forget that this special was basically a sequel to his last special which had anti-lgbt rhetoric as well

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2021 11:59 PM

Why is it Karenesque to call the police when a man -- white, black or whatever -- threatens in no uncertain terms to cause you physical harm, R5? Isn't that why the police are there? If you actually watched the special, he said he wanted to beat the hell out of the gay person in question. And then he complained when his victim threated to call the police. He actually said that he resented that gays were considered minorities -- until they had the option to call the police. Calling the police should ALWAYS be an option when someone threatens violence. He should have called the police if he wanted to. He's Dave Chapelle, right? Who is going to give the biggest comedian of our times -- the GOAT as he referred to himself -- a difficult time. Unless he's got a record. And THAT is what irks him.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2021 12:05 AM

Because you should never call the police on a Black person, especially a Black man because it puts their lives in danger.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2021 12:21 AM

What if your own life is in danger gurl, R12?

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2021 12:28 AM

Are you white? If so, your life is never in danger because of your white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2021 1:38 AM

That is so much bullshit, R15. As if anti-gay violence doesn't happen every day. Several of my friends and me were attacked viciously by a group of homophobic, Midwestern grown assholes one night on High Street at the Ohio State University campus in Columbus, Ohio. Our crime? We were gay. And being white probably had a part in it. This group descended upon us, first punching, then kicking, then picking up anything they could find to hit us with. Rocks, bricks, pieces of metal. We were doing nothing but walking down the street at night. Nice and quiet, not antagonizing anyone at all. And this band of thugs appeared out of nowhere and started a fight over nothing. And yeah, they wanted to murder us. So absolutely, if I had a cellphone back then, I would have called the fucking police and had their asses put in jail. But I didn't and they got away with it, probably to commit more hate crimes. So, R14, you for one second think that gay men haven't suffered abuse -- at the hands of other minorities like black people -- you are sorely misinformed. Or just willingly stupid. Gays have suffered violence for years upon years, so don't you dare act like that hasn't happened. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2021 3:05 AM

"Like he himself said"

What is your native language, R4?

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2021 3:08 AM

The special was hilarious. The best joke was the trans man pissing backwards at the urinal. Or maybe the joke about Eminem being voted “Nigger of the Year” at the BET Awards. LOL!

Let me say this: the only people who I’m aware of who didn’t think the special was at all funny, or worse were offended by it, are a few people online. The trans activists/apologists on DL and the Twitter psychos (including Roxane Gay).

You people don’t understand comedy and you don’t like to laugh. It’s as simple as that. You probably think Tim Dillon is a Nazi, too. I’m guessing you like that obese Hannah woman and Bo Burnham, because they’re doing anti-comedy shows, and that’s the only kind you like.

I’m just guessing.

Because Chappelle was (mostly) brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2021 3:16 AM

R12, you seem to have misunderstood Chappelle’s telling of that story.

By the way, comedians almost always exaggerate stories for effect. Not just in the way they articulate their own thoughts about the ‘true story’ they’re telling, but the details of the events themselves.

It’s how comedy works.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2021 3:20 AM

Homosexualist, R17. We're always overexplaining for yahoos like you, who usually can't follow a complete sentence. My sincere apologies.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote] [R8] and the brainless also don't know or forget that this special was basically a sequel to his last special which had anti-lgbt rhetoric as well

I am a gay man and I am in favor of Chappelle making fun of the “LGBT”, whoever they are.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2021 3:22 AM

"Several of my friends and me were..."

Sorry about that. Should have said "and I." Mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2021 6:32 AM

[quote]I'm not saying it was made up or anything, but it sure came in handy as a mic drop, "fuck off" to audience members who didn't believe his kinship with the gay community.

He doesn't have a kindship with the gay community, and his story was the gay version of "I can't be racist, I have black friends." That's something that years ago I would have thought he fully understood, but these days it's clear that he never actually understood it. All Chappelle does is equate white privilege with the gay community, something he admits to in his act but clearly does not understand the full implications of. He then confuses gay with trans when he complains that the trans are "punching down;" he doesn't understand that neither gays nor trans have the same sociocultural power as whites as a group.

Chappelle clearly doesn't understand much about the LGBT community but like a lot of aging comedians, can't be told that he doesn't know much about it without starting to whine and complain.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2021 9:28 AM

[quote]The trans activists/apologists on DL

There are none. You KiwiFarms rejects start posting crazy shit about trans and someone posts a link to a real news source in response, and you start shrieking about how everyone on DL is a secret trans who is out to get you.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2021 9:29 AM

He was paid, how much again? For that amount of money, I would say anything too.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 11:01 AM

Again, R23, you just seem like somebody who doesn’t recognize comedy, nor know how to enjoy it.

I don’t agree with every broad comparison Chappelle made re: white privilege, calling the cops, etc., but that doesn’t matter much. I’m a gay white male and I loved the special despite not exclaiming “That’s so true!” after every single thing he said. Have you ever watched a comedy special where you walked away from it thinking, “This comedian and I definitely agree on everything”?

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 1:49 PM

Was this a comedy special or supposed to be an after school special? It’s really weird to have Dave Chapelle come out and give a Ted Talk.

It certainly wasn’t funny.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 1:56 PM

It was not a TED Talk. I wasn’t moved or convinced by his “hypothesis” (for lack of a better word) that gay people are at war with blacks, but the show was filled with edgy jokes that made me guffaw.

What DO you find funny, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2021 2:08 PM

You've tried this "obviously you don't know what humor is" ad hominem on multiple people in this thread since yesterday, r28 et al., and no one has bit.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2021 2:49 PM

Still waiting to find out what, if anything, you “multiple” people find funny, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2021 3:02 PM

If the answer is “nothing,” that’s fine. If you don’t like any standup comedy, just say that. Some people are just naturally humorless. That’s not an ad hominem argument. We’re talking about something—multiple things actually— subjective: is something funny? Is something offensive?

It depends on the audience. Who is the audience?

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2021 3:05 PM

The only gay people Chappelle knows are the black closeted men who are married to women. And he hates Don Lemon precisely because he is the opposite of that Chappelle thinks black gay men should be.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2021 3:23 PM

It's not his job to "understand the LGBT community" It's his job to be amusing while pushing boundaries, being provocative and speaking his truth. One thing I'm sure of after watching several of his specials, he understands the LGBT community more than the white, male gays understands the black community. I mean he said he's "pro glory hole...both sides (of the wall)". That's a pretty bold statement.

No comedian should be punished for an act. I hate Andrew Dice Clay so I don't watch his act. I saw Joe Rogan in Atlantic City 30 years ago when every act had gays/AIDS and weed jokes. I walked out. Save your outrage for the people who deserve it like Manchin/Sinema/ Miss Lindsey and your parents.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote]speaking his truth

His truth is he's a fucking millionaire who claims people are persecuting him and stopping him from working. Fuck him and you.

[quote]he understands the LGBT community more than the white, male gays understands the black community

I understand the black gay community. I don't give two shits about the rest of the black community because they don't give two shits about us.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote]That's a pretty bold statement.

You know what would be a bolder statement? Telling his black audience to stop killing each other.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2021 4:30 PM

It was not a comedy special. He even said that. It was a lecture. He was not trying to get laughs. He was serious the whole time.

But at least college professors will work in a little humor to keep people from going to sleep. He didn’t bother to add any jokes. He wanted to make a statement. I just wish Netflix didn’t advertise it as stand-up comedy because that is not what he was going for.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Dave Chapelle used to be funny 20 years ago before he went crazy. Now he’s just paranoid and blown out.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] It was not a comedy special. He even said that. It was a lecture. He was not trying to get laughs. He was serious the whole time.

You sure you’re not confusing him with Hannah Gadsby?

Some words of advice for you: 1) LOG OFF the Internet. 2) Talk to your therapist.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2021 4:40 PM

Love chapelle

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2021 5:58 PM

My truth is that he's a pity-seeking nigger.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2021 6:05 PM

What he said about Dababy is pure bullshit. The guy is an homophobe, people are only talking about his trans comments but that doesn't change that he is an homophobe

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2021 6:24 PM

The problem today is self-pitying drama queens who fulminate that they're NOT ALLOWED TELL THE TRUTH!!!! And that the TRUTH is a widely-discussed hourlong comedy special by a very famous man, promoted by a very powerful entertainment corporation.

It's just like that Bari Weiss creature crying that she's being SILENCED BY CNN!!! when...she's on CNN.

Fucking babies.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 6:29 PM

^ That story was a perfect set up for "Don't abort Da Baby". But I agree with you. I also disagree with Kevin Hart, who I like but was miscast as Oscar host. Again, know your audience. Overall I enjoyed the Closer. I laughed a lot and he made some provocative points. I give it 2 snaps and a Z.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2021 6:31 PM

If I didn't despise Chapelle so much for being a nozzle and not particularly funny, I'd suggest that DL brigade his special on Netflix, now, AFTER this controversy has erupted.

However, it's also what the right wing nutbags and maga, incel-idiots would probably do, so participating would create the illusion that THEY are more influential than they actually are.

Help me, Sophie Zawistowska, You're my only hope.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]It's not his job to "understand the LGBT community"

It is when he says he understands the community and lectures us on the details of said understanding.

He's a famous millionaire who is influential in his own right and has even more influential friends. He can handle a little criticism, and he doesn't need you defending him.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2021 6:44 PM

If you haven’t seen it, I would skip it.

If you want some homophobe giving a sermon, you can find that at any church on a Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2021 6:47 PM

It’s a turd.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2021 8:02 PM

I still don't understand what his issue is with us. It all seems to stem from his belief that we've achieved more equally than black people. We get treated like shit too, but it's rarely talked about in the media. Black and trans issues have overshadowed gay and lesbian people.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2021 8:36 PM

His premise is wrong. Try calling someone an N word. You will immediately get canceled and rightfully so. Why doesn’t he want the same rights for LGBT?

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2021 8:38 PM

Dave and BaBaby have every right to dislike gay people and think they are freaks or weirdos but they don’t have to try to corral that hatred from others.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2021 8:43 PM

Oh, grow up you idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2021 9:22 PM

^^^that clip would be relevant if Joan was telling the audience that their deaf kids are racist and causing black people problems.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2021 10:05 PM

That is rich coming from Joan “Thin-Skinned” Rivers.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2021 1:40 AM

I can’t believe R36 got even one W&W vote. That reply was pure fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2021 2:22 AM

r36 probably upvoted himself

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2021 2:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2021 6:26 PM

I understand what he’s saying as he doesn’t have any problem with trans people or gay people or women, he just has a problem with ANY White people playing a victim card for ANY reason because only Black people can be victims.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2021 6:55 PM

Why does this issue resonate so personally with some people? Why fan hatred and intolerance upon people who seem to have enough on their plate? If I were a beloved millionaire I can think of so many other things I could be doing with my good fortune than shitting on a vulnerable minority. Jesus Christ, if we don ‘t have enough proof that money won ‘t buy happiness for some people. What a poisonous asshole.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2021 7:58 PM

A “vulnerable minority”. Oh my god.

You got the minority part right, at least.

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote]You KiwiFarms rejects start posting crazy shit about trans and someone posts a link to a real news source in response, and you start shrieking about how everyone on DL is a secret trans who is out to get you.

They're just mad because they didn't used to get pushback here and now they do.

by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2021 8:04 PM

R12 No he said he resented the fact that gays see themselves as minorities until they have the power to use their whiteness.

White gays and white women are so oppressed until a black person pisses them off. Then their white power jumps out.

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote] Men are so oppressed until a woman pisses them off. Then their patriarchally-appointed male power jumps out.

FIFY.

Easy to make jokes about violence or even have discourse about it when your bery biological beinghood isn’t under threat literally every time you step out of your locked house, breathe air, cross a street, or smile and make eye contact with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 62October 22, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] A “vulnerable minority”.

They'll never be vulnerable as long so they have their tambourines

by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2021 10:11 PM

62 White women have historically and are still known to be just as evil to black men as white men are so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

White women have the biggest opportunity in this country to live off someone else, especially a white man. For every tyrannical oppressive wealthy white man in power, there’s a white woman next to him reaping the benefits of it. That’s why 40% of slaveowners in the US were white women.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2021 10:58 PM

Oh please with the vulnerable minorities.

My friend is pansexual and tries to hook up with trans women on Grindr and he says they’re mostly scam artists who want to run sugar baby cons and milk men out of money cause they don’t want to work.

Not all. But just go on Twitter and you’ll see “Donate to my GoFundMe because I’m trans” tweets all day.

by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2021 11:05 PM

Tons of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2021 11:08 PM

$1,000 raised for hair removal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2021 11:09 PM

$2,000 for being trans, 18k to go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] White women have the biggest opportunity in this country to live off someone else, especially a white man. For every tyrannical oppressive wealthy white man in power, there’s a white woman next to him reaping the benefits of it. That’s why 40% of slaveowners in the US were white women.

R64 misogyny has many tentacles, love.

For many thousands of years, women were not permitted the rights to exist without ‘living off a man’. Until recently, the majority across the world could not vote or hold jobs or have any kind of autonomy let alone political power—same as a slave (it just looks comfier than traditional slavery).

by Anonymousreply 69October 23, 2021 10:12 AM

I wonder how Dave would react to people making fun of his noble faith and the prophet Mo.

by Anonymousreply 70October 23, 2021 10:19 AM

Cis-phallic oppression sickens me!

by Anonymousreply 71October 23, 2021 10:27 AM

People SHOULD make fun of that, R70.

I like to think Dave would be okay with it, too. Even if he isn’t, who cares? Nobody should be off limits.

by Anonymousreply 72October 23, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote] If I were a beloved millionaire I can think of so many other things I could be doing with my good fortune than shitting on a vulnerable minority.

So just because he’s rich he should not take action to speak the truth and should just look the other way? With that mentality nothing would ever get done in this world or get invented.

by Anonymousreply 73October 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Every single word? Every fucking single word???

What are you, OP? An unloved, unhinged, fanatic fattard?

by Anonymousreply 74October 23, 2021 7:34 PM

I love Dave and love his honesty about people. The best thing about this Netflix special is that if I encounter anyone in my life who doesn’t “approve” or has a problem with what he said, I immediately know this person is a fucking moron and I block them.

by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2021 2:13 PM

Agreed 100% R75.

by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2021 6:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!