Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Texas school administrator demands that “both sides” of Holocaust history be taught

And Republicans wonder why we call them Nazis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2021 9:23 AM

Approved by the Harvard University BDS Student Group!

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 10:11 PM

So shocking.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 10:15 PM

You forgot to blame the trans, r1.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 10:17 PM

r1 r2

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 10:17 PM

"The Jews learned the value of honest labor, their jolly worksongs filling the camps both night and day."

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 10:18 PM

And the "other side" would be...?

Do tell -- I'm on the edge of my chair!

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 10:26 PM

R4.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 10:36 PM

Oh. R4 is the racist.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 10:37 PM

I’ve looked at clouds of Zyclon B gas from both sides now.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] "The Jews learned the value of honest labor, their jolly worksongs filling the camps both night and day."

They also learned that work makes you free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 10:47 PM

“Teachers are literally afraid that we’re going to be punished for having books in our classes,” an elementary school teacher said.

The country is in [bold]a lot[/bold] of trouble. The next few years decide the future for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 10:51 PM

"There are good people on both sides!"

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 10:59 PM

Texas of course.

And all those ultra Orthodox Jews are Republicans because they think the right just loves them

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 11:12 PM

Now that's some hardcore Klan shit there.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 11:19 PM

My guess is that the Texas school administrator does not know what the Holocaust is. I'm serious. He has heard liberals mention it so he knows "both sides" need to heard and the libtards are suppressing the discussion of the conservative opinion of this Holocaust thing.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]Another email sent to teachers that day included a rubric that asked them to grade books based on whether they provide multiple perspectives and to set aside any that present singular, dominant narratives “in such a way that it ... may be considered offensive.”

So… in Texas abortion is all but banned, Covid vaccine mandates are banned, the LGBTQ youth suicide hotline is banned and now history is banned?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 11:38 PM

But that Roberto Begnini fella made the Holocaust look so fun and charming!

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 1:01 AM

Put in the "Sure" ( wink, wink) category

State Sen. Bryan Hughes, an East Texas Republican who wrote Senate Bill 3, denied that the law requires teachers to provide opposing views on what he called matters of “good and evil” or to get rid of books that offer only one perspective on the Holocaust.

“That’s not what the bill says,” Hughes said in an interview Wednesday when asked about the Carroll book guidelines. “I’m glad we can have this discussion to help elucidate what the bill says, because that’s not what the bill says.”

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 2:10 AM

I thought this really was a story about anti-Semitism until I read the linked article, which of course the majority of DLers never do. There was no indication of anti-Semitism. The story indicates just the chaos and confusion caused by local government bureaucrats trying and failing to understand new requirements. File the story under local government stupidity and incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 2:14 AM

One of the few upswings of this is that it shows how scared the religious right is of children’s literature and its power to inform and shape opinions of young minds. Those fuckers would ban every book and keep people illiterate if they could get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 2:17 AM

Earlier this year in Louisiana, GOP Rep. Ray Garofalo proposed schools start teaching the "good aspects" of slavery!

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] GOP Rep. Ray Garofalo

What sort of hairstyle does he have?

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 2:44 AM

Nope, not The Onion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 3:01 AM

And speaking of his hair ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2021 3:03 AM

The Texas school administrator should be using his time more productively. Because the only reason for him to do this is because he wants the state of Israel to end. The fucker is so clueless, and in his own little world. Israel exists for a reason. It won't go away. I would like to see this administrator & his family sent to live in a concentration camp where Jews, Jehovah's witnesses, gay men and women, intellectuals, and anybody else the Third Reich felt threatened by.

Then let's see what he has to say about both sides of the story. Who the fuck does he think he is to even suggest this? I'm not by nature a violent person, but I have rather specific ideation of what I'd like to see happen to him. Lucky for me I erased it before posting it, because I would expect a friendly visit from the FBI if I'd been dumb enough to actually let it post.

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2021 3:54 AM

Read the article linked at OP, dear DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2021 3:57 AM

So they’re not for “diversity in education” - except in this case. At least be consistent:

Assholes,

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2021 4:05 AM

Jesus H Christ our country is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 4:17 AM

So what is the other side? That it didn’t happen or that it wasn’t a bad thing? Are Jews to be portrayed as liars or deserving of everything the Nazi’s did?

And what about the other 6 million victims of the Nazis? Are they lying or deserving as well?

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2021 4:37 AM

Even if we get rid of Abbott and his minions, it will take forever to undo all this GOP shit they've rammed through. Very discouraging.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2021 5:30 AM

R29, read the fucking article before you open your yap and look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 6:00 AM

The Nazis didn't harm any Jews unless they were homosexual and/or communists. The Nazis were good for the economy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2021 6:22 AM

While the original article has only a little about the Holocaust (in the quote from one administrator) it does have a lot of examples regarding books about race. The new Texas law is pretty explicit in its aim to limit discussion of white responsibility for black enslavement and for Jim Crow laws that succeeded slavery and to allow other points of view to be taught. To me, that is equally reprehensible as someone interpreting the law to demand that Holocaust deniers be given equal opportunities to explain their points of view. After all, there are numerous examples of white people, even in our own time, trying to excuse or justify slavery as being beneficial to black people.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2021 6:48 AM

That little vixen Anne Frank…

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote] My guess is that the Texas school administrator does not know what the Holocaust is. I'm serious.

Um, he's the head of curriculum. How pathetic a school system is this?

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2021 1:19 PM

[quote] So what is the other side? That it didn’t happen or that it wasn’t a bad thing?

Much of the right wing (made up of Evangelicals) still believe Jews are evil and the Holocaust never happened.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote] There was no indication of anti-Semitism. The story indicates just the chaos and confusion caused by local government bureaucrats trying and failing to understand new requirements. File the story under local government stupidity and incompetence.

And the abortion law doesn't stop abortion at all! In fact a woman can still have an abortion within 6 weeks...

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 1:21 PM

If they are going to teach that 2+2 equals four, they must teach the opposing viewpoint that in this context four does not exist. You remain with two twos. Fours only exist if occurring naturally - made by God. Man cannot add two to two and get four, only God can do that.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Can someone explain what the "other side" is?

There's people other than the victims, surely, but is she expecting that there's a "happy side" to the entire ordeal. She wants a conclusion that the Holocaust wasn't awful?

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 2:17 PM

Only sides I see are the Jewish people vs. anti-semites. Does that bitch really want to teach what motivated the idiotic Nazi? it was hatred from biblical sources.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 2:41 PM

In my days it was quite common to tell "both sides" as in how the Nazis came into power and what they did with said power and the tales of the Nazi victims like Jewish people. Are there more sides to this?

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 2:54 PM

The only "other sides" would be the holocaust did not happen, or the that the holocaust is exaggerated, or that the holocaust was sadly unsuccessful and it would be better if all jews were eradicated.

This jerk either believes those options, and is anti-semite, or he is a very stupid person who can't sussout that the Holocaust does not have "two sides." He may have a dim idea of what the holocaust refers to, as well. It is perfectly possible to be that STUPID and have power over education as a politician. Betsy Devos.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2021 2:55 PM

Ice cream castles in the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]I thought this really was a story about anti-Semitism until I read the linked article, which of course the majority of DLers never do. There was no indication of anti-Semitism.

Did you practice being this obtuse or does it come naturally?

I included the image of the Classroom Library Selection Rubric from the OP’s article in my comment at R16 and here is a quote from the article:

[quote]“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

[quote]“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response.

[quote]“Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up.”

Here is an excerpt from HB3979:

[quote](h-2) In the instruction of the essential knowledge and skills for the social studies curriculum, in applicable courses of Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social studies, or similar subject areas: (1) no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs; (2) teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote] So what is the other side?

There is no other side. There is just an incompetent school administrator in Nowhere, Texas, who has managed to goad a number of DLers to put their two cents in.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote] Um, he's the head of curriculum. How pathetic a school system is this?

If you watch the news, you’ve seen that there are a lot of school boards and administrators across the country doing crazy things in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2021 3:02 PM

Texas is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2021 3:06 PM

Wait, so it's ok in Texas to discuss the other side of teenage pregnancy prevention, like using condoms? IN SCHOOL?

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2021 3:08 PM

Of course, no one bothered to read the article to see what actually was said. It's easier to draw conclusions.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2021 3:41 PM

If anyone would like to hear about the other side, I'm available.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote] Can someone explain what the "other side" is?

The "other side" is Jews are evil and deserve to die because they killed Jesus.

And yes, this is what they actually believe.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote] Of course, no one bothered to read the article to see what actually was said. It's easier to draw conclusions.

Yes, we read the article and the HEAD OF CURRICULUM told teachers that they should have books that present "both sides" of the Holocaust to prevent prosecution under Texas' new law.

You can't have little Texas Nazis-in-training feel bad about themselves, can we?

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2021 4:30 PM

So, basically the anti Jew Nazi propaganda clips with the rats (where Jews are compared to rats multiplying exponentially and destroying everything)?

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2021 4:30 PM

[quote] Of course, no one bothered to read the article to see what actually was said. It's easier to draw conclusions.

The article says EXACTLY what people are shocked about:

A top administrator with the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake advised teachers last week that if they have a book about the Holocaust in their classroom, they should also offer students access to a book from an “opposing” perspective, according to an audio recording obtained by NBC News.

Gina Peddy, the Carroll school district’s executive director of curriculum and instruction, made the comment Friday afternoon during a training session on which books teachers can have in classroom libraries. The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom.

A Carroll staff member secretly recorded the Friday training and shared the audio with NBC News.

“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response.

“Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up.”

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2021 4:32 PM

r54, you didn’t prove what you thought were. The small excerpt you chose points out that the administrator said what she said because she ignorantly thought the law required her to, not because of her personal beliefs. Yes, she’s stupid for thinking the law included the Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2021 5:04 PM

SB3 replaces HS3979 in December and it’s an even bigger nightmare.

SB3 removes references to teaching students historical documents written by people like Cesar Chavez, Susan B. Anthony, Dolores Huerta, Martin Luther King Jr., Frederick Douglass, George Washington & Thomas Jefferson. Discussing "civic accomplishments of marginalized populations" has been scratched and “the history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong” is no longer required. I would never have imagined schools not including the emancipation proclamation, Jim Crow laws and Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech in social studies and history classes but here we are, Native American history & women’s suffrage have also been completely omitted.

[quote]"Incredibly, Senate Bill 3 specifies that a teacher may not discuss current events or controversial issues of public policy or social affairs unless the educator 'strives to explore the topic from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective,'" Democratic state Sen. Judith Zaffirini said during Senate debate on the bill. "How could a teacher possibly discuss slavery, the Holocaust, or the mass shootings at the Walmart in El Paso or at the Sutherland Springs church in my district 'without giving deference to any one perspective?'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2021 5:14 PM

It's interesting that more than a few posters upthread made the assumption the administrator was a man. I guess they did not hear the recording of the administrator(a woman) discussing the issue in the staff meeting.

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2021 5:21 PM

The "other side" was put by the New Testament some eighteen centuries ago:

"For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Judea that are in Christ Jesus. You suffered from your own countrymen the very things they suffered from the Jews, who killed both the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, and drove us out as well. They are displeasing to God and hostile to all men, forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins. 𝑁𝑜𝑤 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑟𝑎𝑡ℎ ℎ𝑎𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑢𝑝𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑚 𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑢𝑡𝑚𝑜𝑠𝑡." - 1 Thessalonians 2:14-17.

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2021 6:19 PM

How is it much better if this stupid cunt education official is not anti-semitic but is so dull, rigid, ignorant and simple-minded she reminds teachers to "two-side" the Holocaust because of some asinine rule?

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2021 6:27 PM

No, she's not antisemitic. She's just applying the rules.

This is like German citizens saying - "we just did as we were told to do", or "we assumed the scientists and politicians were telling us the truth about the pestilence of jews".

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2021 6:30 PM

And let's not forget the gypsies and the homos.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2021 6:30 PM

Two sides: "while the nazi party did not as a rule exterminate homosexuals, they though it best for the protection of society to arrest male homosexuals and keep them in concentration camps, working them to death occasionally, or letting them die of pestilence, because as homosexuals they of course were immoral and a threat to German purity. Most homosexuals survived the prison camps, and came to view their time as an opportunity to form life long bonds with other degenerates and homosexuals. Some became lampshades and the homosexual lampshades were particularly prized for the fineness of the leather."

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2021 6:33 PM

At least they reversed their decision to eliminate Helen Keller and Hillary from the textbooks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote] The small excerpt you chose points out that the administrator said what she said because she ignorantly thought the law required her to, not because of her personal beliefs. Yes, she’s stupid for thinking the law included the Holocaust.

No one said she's anti-semitic. It's bigger than that. The law itself is a jumble of nonsense which could just as easily be applied to the Holocaust as it does to racism--and she's just exemplifying what a disaster the law is.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2021 8:22 PM

R63, well, isn't that nice of them

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2021 8:24 PM

How can anyone consider Texas students informed?

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2021 8:26 PM

r66...

No matter where you live, if your children go to public schools, the textbooks they use were very possibly written under Texas influence. If they graduated with a reflexive suspicion of the concept of separation of church and state and an unexpected interest in the contributions of the National Rifle Association to American history, you know who to blame.

When it comes to meddling with school textbooks, Texas is both similar to other states and totally different. It’s hardly the only one that likes to fiddle around with the material its kids study in class. The difference is due to size—4.8 million textbook-reading schoolchildren as of 2011—and the peculiarities of its system of government, in which the State Board of Education is selected in elections that are practically devoid of voters, and wealthy donors can chip in unlimited amounts of money to help their favorites win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2021 8:39 PM

Dear Dragon Families:

As the Superintendent of Schools, I express my sincere apology regarding the online article and news story released today. During the conversations with teachers during last week’s meeting, the comments made were in no way to convey that the Holocaust was anything less than a terrible event in history. Additionally, we recognize there are not two sides of the Holocaust. As we continue to work through implementation of HB3979, we also understand this bill does not require an opposing viewpoint on historical facts. As a district we will work to add clarity to our expectations for teachers and once again apologize for any hurt or confusion this has caused.

Regards,

Lane Ledbetter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2021 9:55 PM

Oh, well, that’s OK then.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2021 9:57 PM

But Benghazi

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2021 10:00 PM

emails

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2021 10:08 PM

As I mentioned at R56, SB3 goes into effect on December 1, 2021 and it is worse than HB3979 (the subject of OP's article):

[quote]The new legislation proposed by Senate Republicans strikes entire sections of the House bill. It removes references to the teaching of a series of historical primary documents written by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglass, Susan B. Anthony, Cesar Chavez and Martin Luther King Jr., among others.

[quote]Discussion of the "civic accomplishments of marginalized populations" have also been struck from the bill, including teaching on the history of White supremacy, the institution of slavery and "the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways it is morally wrong."

[quote]The history of Native Americans is also completely omitted from the Senate bill.

[quote]Opponents of SB3 have argued that limiting teachings around race obscures the truth and attempts to rewrite history.

[quote]"Incredibly, Senate Bill 3 specifies that a teacher may not discuss current events or controversial issues of public policy or social affairs unless the educator 'strives to explore the topic from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective,'" Democratic state Sen. Judith Zaffirini said during Senate debate on the bill. "How could a teacher possibly discuss slavery, the Holocaust, or the mass shootings at the Walmart in El Paso or at the Sutherland Springs church in my district 'without giving deference to any one perspective?'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2021 10:09 PM

It's appalling but is anyone surprised?

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2021 10:18 PM

Will math classes be required to teach “alternatives” to 2+2=4?

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2021 10:19 PM

So now when a student takes Cesar Chavez Boulevard to school the day before Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, if he asks his teacher who those two men were, the teacher will be forbidden to answer.

Fuck Texas.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2021 10:21 PM

Dumbass at R31, if you'd read the fucking article you'd know the dumbass who was caught on tape never actually explained what the "opposing" view was.

[quote]“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

[quote]“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response.

[quote]“Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up.”

[quote]Another teacher wondered aloud if she would have to pull down “Number the Stars” by Lois Lowry, or other historical novels that tell the story of the Holocaust from the perspective of victims. It’s not clear if Peddy heard the question in the commotion or if she answered.

[quote]Peddy did not respond to messages requesting comment.

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2021 10:24 PM

"Ilse Koch was loved and respected by the camp guests for her strict yet fair management style."

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2021 10:26 PM

Which opposing view are they running with? That it didn't happen or that it did and was a good thing? And how will they square either with their slavish lip service to Israel?

by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2021 10:31 PM

The camps were larger than the wonderful Great Adirondack Camps of the Gilded Age. And, as work camps, they were more useful, too. Without the camps, a large percentage of the German civilian population would have suffered great deprivations, and been worn out by strenuous labor involved in fighting a Great War of national defense. The USA had a much larger population and it was relatively easy to enlist women and civilian men in the war effort. Germany had no choice but to put a large homeless population to work, helpfully providing food, clothing and warm shelter, to keep them off the cold Northern European streets.

by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2021 10:32 PM

Anne Frank would be alive today if only Otto hadn't got her that damn drum set.

by Anonymousreply 80October 15, 2021 10:47 PM

The South has been doing this with "The War of Northern Agression" (known as the "American Civil War" to those who aren't cousinfuckers). They also ignore they had/have a Klan problem and lynchings of black people. Not shocked by this just surprised they haven't done it before. I mean, it's Texas.

by Anonymousreply 81October 15, 2021 10:53 PM

R78 I assume the opposing view will be the type seen in holocaust revisionist and denial literature. What I've read was claims that the death camps were just work camps and most deaths there were from natural causes (like from malnutrition and overwork) and that there weren't all that many deaths anyhow.

I assume that many of the authors of those books think the holocaust would have been a good thing in any case, but they don't openly say that because taking an openly anti-Semitic position would discredit their denial of historical facts.

Most denialists are anti-Semites, but another major group of them are people of German or Austrian heritage who have major cognitive dissonance because they can't bear to think of their ancestors as evil people. It's kind of of like some Catholics who desperately cling to the belief that priests never would abuse children because they are holy me.

-

by Anonymousreply 82October 15, 2021 10:57 PM

For the "opposing side" look no further than the not-liberal media, which never met a war or a fascist they didn't love. It was no biggie!

[quote]When it comes to documenting the Nazis’ murder of Jews, Schneidermann describes the Times’ coverage as fragmentary, incremental, and buried in “dry” briefings on interior pages. June 16, 1942, page 6: a short piece noting that sixty thousand Jews in Vilnius had been murdered. June 30, 1942, page 7: a press conference given by a Polish government official in exile concludes that around a sixth of the European Jewish population of six to seven million has been annihilated. Schneidermann tries to grapple with the possible explanations—the incredulity of the reporters and editors, the banalization of so much recurring death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2021 11:00 PM

As the long war dragged on, and all the raw materials for both the war effort and civilian survival became scare, Germany was faced with difficult choices. They adopted the final solution for the nagging problem of Jewish disease, dirty ghettos and mass homelessness, and instituted a rigorous extermination program for the difficult to eradicate pestilence and disease they had been able to turn around in the wretch Jewish community. Unfortunately, many jews were not able to survive the chemical fumigations necessary to eradicate the vermin that lived on their skin, and in their hair and clothing. Similarly, state of the art German medicine was called in to treat the many diseases of inbreeding and dirty living conditions of the Jews, but the treatments were experimental and painful, and there were casualties. Through it all, Jews showed great strength of character, grit, and bravery, in collaborating with their German caretakers in an attempt to save the community from extinction.

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2021 11:03 PM

r67, that’s old, out-dated information. It was stated in this article from seven years ago that the influence had waned, and it has even more so by today. As this article states, there are people who were still pushing the narrative after it was no longer true. Some are still pushing it to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2021 11:08 PM

How about we teach how Republicans are erasing history in an effort to retain relevancy.

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 11:10 PM

"Joseph Goebbels was a selfless, Christlike man whom the Jews knew was dehumanizing them for their own good. One Bergen-Belsen guest commented enthusiastically, "[italic]The Eternal Jew[/italic] really tells it like it is!' "

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 11:11 PM

The legislature never thought anyone could be so stupid as to think the Holocaust fit the criteria specified in the law, but it should be an easy matter to amend it to explicitly let idiot school administrators know that the Holocaust doesn’t fit the criteria.

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 11:18 PM

Not much is recorded about the negro slave workers who were dismissed from their jobs at the end of the War of Northern Aggression. The South was in disarray and there was a shortage or workers. Many of the negros moved to the North, where the greedy Yankee landlords crowded them into dirty, unhealthy ghettos, lacking the healthy air and sunlight of the southern countryside. The negros of the south mostly kept to themselves, but they had their schools and college and churches and established a solid and respectable society of many classes. Rich negros had some of the finest homes. And some negros went back to work for their own employers, keeping up the fine traditions of gracious Southern living and hospitality.

by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 11:24 PM

This thread inspired me to go down a small rabbit hole (thanks A LOT OP) and I learned that 1) myths like creationism/"intelligent design" are STILL an ongoing debate amongst many (mostly red) state board of educations, and 2) there are some states (like Louisiana) where the Book of Genesis is allowed into the school curriculum (!).

America has jumped the shark!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 11:28 PM

"Leni Riefenstahl was a filmmaker whose works extolled wholesome virtues such as family, community, athletic prowess and promulgating the inherent ickiness of ethnics. The heart-touching [italic]Triumph of the Will,[/italic] for example, is the German equivalent of such American classics as [italic]Love Finds Andy Hardy[/italic] and [italic]Knute Rockne, All-American.[/italic]"

by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 11:30 PM

[quote]I thought this really was a story about anti-Semitism until I read the linked article, which of course the majority of DLers never do. There was no indication of anti-Semitism. The story indicates just the chaos and confusion caused by local government bureaucrats trying and failing to understand new requirements.

I guess some people can't see the forest for the trees. When a regulation is interpreted as mandating material that gives "both sides" on the Holocaust, you've got anti-Semitism.

by Anonymousreply 92October 15, 2021 11:37 PM

R92 It would be poetic justice taught about anti-Semtism and efforts by elected leaders to skew history in an effort to advance a racist, sexist, classist agenda that a plurality of the country does not want but is allowed to perpetuate under the guise of constitutionally protected free speech. I think these teachers need to reinforce to students that these things are past events but continually unfolding and there are enemies in our communities determined to perpetuate this shit.

by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 11:47 PM

R93 are NOT past events **

by Anonymousreply 94October 15, 2021 11:47 PM

R67, not so anymore. Because of e-textbooks, different states no longer have to deal with what Texas wants

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote] When a regulation is interpreted as mandating material that gives "both sides" on the Holocaust

then you’ve got a school administrator who is too stupid to live and who shouldn’t be in education.

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2021 12:22 AM

^ No, that's an administrator doing precisely what the reg intends he do. True, he shouldn't be in education, but not because he doesn't understand the regs.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2021 12:25 AM

r97, the administrator is a she, which already shows you don’t know anything about the story. She misinterpreted the law.

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2021 12:33 AM

You keep trying R98.

[quote]The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom.

This is the learning environment these anti-CRT assholes are trying to create. Now they're scrambling because the quiet part was said out loud when they didn't know they were being recorded.

by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2021 12:51 AM

Is " That's NOT what the article says!!!" the new right-wing tactic?

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2021 1:18 AM

We know that not bothering to read an article before commenting on it is a common DL tactic.

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2021 1:24 AM

The school administrator isn't misinterpreting the law at all. She's being cautious given the reprimand of a teacher by the school board.

Thanks to conservative idiots, the Holocaust is now a controversial issue in America...and that's what the law says...anything controversial has to have both sides.

BTW, this law should be struck down for being vague/overbroad.

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2021 1:24 AM

R101 Correct. But it's not an issue here, today, on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2021 1:25 AM

The law can be amended to deal with morons who think that the Holocaust fits the criteria.

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2021 1:28 AM

r103, yes, it does affect the discussion on this thread as has been demonstrated in the replies.

by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2021 1:32 AM

Which replies R105

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 1:33 AM

We really are going to have to break apart the country.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 1:35 AM

Yes technically school districts in Texas can teach abstinence only as sex education if they choose to, and some probably do. Weirdos can establish whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 1:35 AM

I'm Jewish and I don't think she was purposely being antisemitic...she's just dumb as fuck and really does think there must be "another side" to the Shoah and most likely to slavery too.

What's scary is that she's in a position of authority over teachers in Texas.

And somehow has a college degree, possibly even an MA as that's often necessary to get ahead in education.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 1:41 AM

The real story here is how the Texas Legislature, in an effort to pander to those racist FOX-following Trumptards foaming at the mouth over CRT (even though they couldn't tell you what CRT is if their lives depended on it), has created a law governing curriculum that is illogical and ill-conceived and now teachers and administrators are unsure what they can or cannot teach and are afraid that they may cross some imaginary line that will upset one of these special snowflake parents and end up being reprimanded or fired.

by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote] even though they couldn't tell you what CRT is if their lives depended on it)

Well.... that's actually the problem.

They all "know" that CRT means teaching children that everything white people do is bad.

That is what Tuck-Tuck told them and why they are against it.

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 1:48 AM

Unfortunately school districts will do just about anything to avoid lawsuits, including indulging the dumbest/racist of parents.

by Anonymousreply 112October 16, 2021 2:42 AM

From the replies: "If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 16, 2021 2:53 AM

The issue is that it's been kept deliberately murky what exactly these regulation mean to give racist bigots cover to poison kids' minds with racist homophobic bigotry. It up to the teachers to "interpret" the new regulations and get fired when they "interpret" them "wrong" in the eyes of the local school administration. Teachers are being set up with this.

by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2021 4:07 AM

Sorry,

It is up to the teachers to ...

by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2021 4:08 AM

This is why Hillary Clinton called Trump supporters deplorables. If you’re still a Republican or centrist enabling/defending them after all of this, you really are the scum of Earth.

by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2021 9:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!