Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrities who read a lot of fiction

I always like someone more if I find out they read a lot of fiction, I guess since I like doing it so much. I guess Oprah and Reese Witherspoon are two who really monetized it as a hobby (Oprah usually had very good or at least interesting taste in her choices, but Witherspoon likes mostly schlocky chick lit). And of course Barack Obama is a terrific reader, and loves very difficult novels.

Who else loves to read? Among the ones who talk about it quite often:

Laura Bush (famously)

Dan Stevens

Bette Midler (always has a novel with her on the sets of her movies, or backstage)

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2021 5:00 PM

Julie Christie loves reading so much she could have worked far more in her old age than she did, but says she'd rather be reading.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 8:23 PM

I’m assuming Uzo must have some love of reading, otherwise it’s inexplicably that she’s hosting this program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2021 2:03 AM

Apparently the mean girls on White Lotus always reading was Mike White’s jab at James Franco always deep in a book on the set of Freaks and Geeks.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Jackie O

And of course, the tree guy from Twilight, as pictured in this exhaustive list:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2021 2:08 AM

My organization, The American Library Association, has for decades been doing a “Reads” poster campaign, and while some are blatant tie ins with PR campaigns, cough, Twilight, cough, many of them must on some level appreciate literature to have participated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2021 2:14 AM

Kit Harington is a big reader.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2021 2:18 AM

Gabriel Byrne, judging by today’s interview in The Guardian. He says he is reading Trio, by William Boyd. I am always suspicious to take serious as readers people who when asked what they are currently reading answer some classic book or other.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2021 2:44 PM

R7 The big tell to me is people who claim to be reading some self-improvement nonfiction or something like Malcolm Gladwell. When a celeb says they’re reading Danielle Steele or some other kind of comfort reading, that’s a reader.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2021 2:47 PM

R8, completely agree. I meant those attempting to be more highbrow in interviews are always re-reading Proust, or Joyce or Middlemarch. As quite a reader myself, i know i read lots of good books but also quite an amount of crap

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2021 2:57 PM

^ r7

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 2:59 PM

Me too R9!

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2021 3:00 PM

[quote] I am always suspicious to take serious as readers people who when asked what they are currently reading answer some classic book or other.

Okay, but are you saying this as a comment on Byrne's reading choice? Because Trio is a brand new book by the author, so hardly a classic.

Also, it's quite funny you posted that because Boyd is exactly who Harington references in the video at R6. He's also a big fan of Ursula LeGuin, however, and was recently raving about re-reading one of his favourite books, The Dispossessed.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2021 5:42 PM

R12, i am saying his choice indicates he is a reader. Kit Harington too, apparently , but what a terrible interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2021 1:22 AM

Tom Hanks

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2021 1:24 AM

Tori Amos seems to be an avid reader, fiction and non-fiction, so many references to things she's read appear in her songs in unique ways that you feel her lyrics should probably have footnotes sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2021 1:25 AM

Natalie Merchant strikes me as a big reader and she even played a concert at the annual library association conference.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2021 1:33 AM

I fear this will not be a big thread

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2021 2:26 AM

One of the few things I like about Lena Dunham is that she's a big reader and is always recommending books. Samye with Mindy kaling.

One of the most surprising celebrity readers is Kate Hudson. one of the things she and Reese Witherspoon became close friends over was their deep love of books.

Mayim Bialik (to no one's surprise) is a big reader.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2021 2:31 AM

Wasn't Laura Bush a librarian before marrying W?

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2021 3:23 AM

Courtney Love. In between rambling about everything she recommends books, movies & music.

From October 6, 2021:

[quote]#TedHughes - This had to be so hard. Mesmerizing & he knew these poems would be. Voyeurs paradise . It makes me sick to read these poems, but they’re brutal , honest , genius so I can’t stop . He knew he had to do it , So he waited til the end. I feel you Ted.

[quote]#amanforallseasons Paul Scofield , forever icon 🏆The way he uses English in this fim, #sublime #righteousness oh & #johnhurt❤️

[quote]#KateBush - I recently saw a young hack , compared to Kate Bush... in a fairly fancy magazine . Let’s go back to vigilante gate keeping , if people sloppily violate these sacred artist spaces of genius .

[quote]Start by rhyming “apple blossom” with ”wassailing“- proceed to straight genius from there .

[quote]#DonnaTartt (if you follow me you’ve probably read “#thesecrethistory“) which is why I love you ❤️ - if you have not. Please do , it’s my favorite book written in my lifetime. ❤️But listen to her read it in her lilting, accented voice #sublime

[quote]#AnneTeresaDeKeersmaeker - icon. #RosasDanstRosas 🩰

[quote]#CarylChurchill 🇬🇧🙏⚔️⚔️ greatest living British playwright and efficient with ( my abyssmel record of falling asleep at a play ) time (16 brilliant minutes ! thank you @subiasm , for my top ups ❤️❤️#royalcourttheatre)

[quote]#onceuponatimeatbenningtoncollege Podcast... I almost went to Bennington college. 1982 ON SCHOLARSHIP. (🥺😰😳… I mean . ) Due to a well meaning parole officer. Instead I got a guitar & I went to Dublin (thinking I was Going to Trinity. But my father was school drug dealer , instead of the professor, as he’d said, so I joined the I.V. League. Not the Ivy League 😎) but … I’ve often wondered what would happen if I’d have gone… SO GLAD I DIDNT! I still wouldn’t know how to think in Ancient Greek... or rock an #agnesb white button down while throwing off words like “Indubitably“ while balancing ray bans & clove cigarettes. Still…what a ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2021 3:49 AM

Onassis used to complain that all Jackie wanted to do in bed was read. Remember when she died jnr said she died surrounded by the people and things that she loved, and her books, I like that. She had more depth than people give her credit for and apparently was a very good editor.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2021 3:50 AM

The 430 books in Marilyn Monroe's private collection were auctioned off in 1999, here is the full list:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2021 4:01 AM

I don't believe Marilyn read all those books, and if she did read some of them, how many did she understand? They probably belonged to Miller.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 4:15 AM

I believe Marilyn read a lot. It’s not the same thing as being street smart.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2021 4:20 AM

There's some rock musician who has read thousands and thousands of books and has kept a list of them online. I can't remember who it is, though.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2021 5:28 PM

I thought the big thing about Marilyn’s book auction was about how much marginalia was in them with her notes?

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2021 5:41 PM

I love that in that photo Marilyn is reading [italic]Ulysses[/italic] at its very end, as if she got all the way through it and finished it just at that instant the photo was taken.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2021 6:15 PM

R17 is prophetic.

But what about celebrities who not only read a lot but also write fiction? I'm thinking of actors like David Duchovny and Ethan Hawke.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2021 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!