Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephanie Mills: Yes, **I** should have married Michael Jackson

"I would have protected the beautiful one"

Gurl, pull up a chair. We need to have a talk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 7:02 PM

I remember when she posted about that pic where some woman seated beside Beyonce at a basketball game appeared to be side eyeing Mrs. Carter. Stephanie leapt into defense mode, lecturing this woman, a stranger to all of us. It was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 6:36 PM

Oh, and she also got heated when that IG/Snapchat clip of Sam Smith saying that he wasn't a fan of MJ but he liked a song of his. Someone should take her phone away from her.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 6:38 PM

I adore her, but Miss Mills is slightly misguided when it comes to Michael. She always has been. He wasn’t in love with her but accepted her for who she was as a talented but plain singer. He never, ever said anything about dating her in the press. He only said that they were friends.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 6:39 PM

She could’ve refilled all the candy and picked up all the Underoos!

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 9:15 PM

Some people are blessed with a great spirit, a great voice and a great beauty!

And Stephanie....well, Miss Stephanie's spirit sure shines through that voice, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 9:20 PM

Honey, Michael wasn't interested in having no black babies.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 9:26 PM

I don't understand why Stephanie didn't pursue more acting roles on Broadway. She certainly still has the chops as she was the best thing about The Wiz remake that aired a few years ago, and she's taken excellent care of that remarkable voice.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 9:30 PM

She’s had some very good plastic surgery, MJ probably should’ve used her surgeons.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Don’t care about the thread title.

Stephanie Mills was THE sound of riding to school in the back seat of the station wagon in 1982 with Mama controlling the radio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 9:34 PM

She doesn't say whether MJ ever discussed marriage with her. He did marry Lisa Marie Presley and Debbie Rowe. What woman wants to "protect" a husband.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote]I don't understand why Stephanie didn't pursue more acting roles on Broadway. She certainly still has the chops as she was the best thing about The Wiz remake that aired a few years ago, and she's taken excellent care of that remarkable voice.

Stephanie told Rosie O'Donnell that Broadway producers flat out told her that she was too short, too dark and too "plain". Even with the extensive work that she had done, she couldn't compete with the likes of Whitney, Janet, Jody Watley or even Anita Baker. Not knocking Baker's looks, because she is an attractive woman. Steph looked good in videos like "Something In The Way", "Comfort of a Man" and "I Feel Good All Over", but from what I understand, it took work. She did have a nice body because she worked out a lot, but she was never gonna compete looks-wise with the others. But I always loved her.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 11:17 PM

You all just don’t think of home as a place with love overflowing.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 11:21 PM

She had only one big crossover hit, Never Knew Love Like This Before. Her primary audience has always been African Americans. Which is fine with me. She did sing on a couple of film soundtracks for a Burt Reynolds & Jill Clayburgh film as well as that horrible FLETCH crap with Chevy Chase, but she didn’t really cross over to the mainstream charts.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2021 4:10 PM

Saying she was plain is like saying Chrissy Metz is a little cherubic

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 4:48 PM

R13 she's a lot like Evelyn King (or vice versa) - who had Shame and Love Come Down but otherwise was sort of in the R&B part of business.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 4:49 PM

Michael was all about looks and race. Stephanie was all those things the Broadway producers told her and MJ knew it as well.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 6:30 PM

"I** should have married Michael Jackson"

Funny, I have a completely different take on that idea

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 7:43 PM

Translation: I'm broke and I wish I had some of that money while it was still around.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2021 7:45 PM

She had a respectable career. Great voice but one dimensional.

I guess she could have done theatre but what could she have played?

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Michael Jackson wanted nothing to do with any black women who weren't Diana Ross.

And of course he had no sexual interest in women of any race because he fucked little boys.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 9:13 PM

Stephanie Mills, God bless her, was three feet tall and uglier than a dog's ass. She was never going to be a big star.

Never Knew Love Like This Before was written and composed by Reggie Lucas who also wrote and composed Madonna's Borderline, and you can hear the similarities.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote] I guess she could have done theatre but what could she have played?

Bitch can stay away from my roles!

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2021 9:33 PM

Was Stephanie the first artist to use "rough trade" in a pop song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2021 11:11 PM

I felt for her...but Bette Midler had a successful career despite her less than stellar face...but I forgot, WHITE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2021 12:07 AM

R24, and Midler never performed in South Africa like Mills and then feign ignorance about their racial politics.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2021 12:11 AM

Bette Midler was uniquely and oddly talented. Nobody else was doing what she was doing at the time. And she started out as an underground artist, it took awhile for her to break into the mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2021 1:01 AM

Was Stephanie Mills telling filthy stories about her boyfriend Ernie fucking her up the ass and saving his cum every time he jerked off, getting a pint and a half so far? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2021 1:02 AM

You can't compare Midler and Mills, nope. I consider Bette way more gifted.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2021 1:03 AM

Take your medicine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2021 1:38 AM

Bangin' bod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Any excuse to post this song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2021 1:49 AM

She did have a few good songs.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2021 2:11 AM

Thanks, R31, that is a perfect disco groove!

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2021 2:16 AM

At her age she's way too short to be on Broadway. She was so teeny-tiny in the TV remake of "The Wiz," they had to have her sing "The Feeling We once Had" sitting down, lest the girl playing Dorothy tower over her. It was extremely distracting.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2021 2:19 AM

Are you fucking kidding?

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2021 2:20 AM

Here's another Stephanie Mills classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote] Are you fucking kidding?—Elaine Paige, star of Foreign Broadway

Just as Foreign Disneyland isn't Disneyland, Foreign Broadway isn't Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2021 2:34 AM

Broadway is Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2021 3:16 AM

Black women of her generation are delusional and in serious denial.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2021 3:27 AM

She beat Ms. Ross for the 1981 Grammy for best r&b vocal female. It was Diana’s best shot at a competitive Grammy award as it was for “Upside Down” and Ross’ album was a smash.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2021 3:35 AM

Miss Ross, not Ms. Ross.

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2021 3:39 AM

She seemed to disappear pretty fast.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2021 3:50 AM

She sho is ugly!

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2021 4:19 AM

Luff huh, but she did eventually become a Black Nationalist, Sun City notwithstanding. She is tight with Farrakhan. She has had a lot of pain in her life, including a special needs child. I remain a fan, but she is delusional about MJ.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2021 4:35 AM

She got terrible reviews for The Wiz. When she did the revival, Clive Barnes said she hasn't gotten a day older in the role, only worse. Ren Woods did the tour to great acclaim. She's not much of an actress and not at all attractive or a presence. I think her career is pretty good with all those limitations.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2021 4:36 AM

I disagree that she has no presence. And she's aged very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2021 4:39 AM

R46, when I saw her in The Wiz, I literally couldn't remember a moment of her performance except for Home. She might have improved a bit but she is very uncharismatic and a lot of that has to do with her looks.

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2021 4:47 AM

I met her once in Chicago in the late ‘80s. She’s not only short but has big feet.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2021 4:51 AM

If she's aged well, she's kinda like Chita. There was so little room for them to fall that they actually started looking decent compared to where they were as young women.

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2021 4:54 AM

She's been dead to me ever since I found out about her devotion to Farrakhan.

I was a fan, but she can fuck right off to hell with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2021 4:56 AM

[Quote] she is very uncharismatic and a lot of that has to do with her looks.

That's quite a stupid statement.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2021 4:57 AM

Michael Jackson never touched a pussy in his life, but if he had it sure wouldn't have been Stephanie's.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2021 5:01 AM

R51, here is an the Oxford definition of "charisma".

"Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others."

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2021 5:10 AM

MJ was interested in women who were gay icons like Diana Ross, Elizabeth Taylor, Princess Diana, etc.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2021 5:13 AM

And Martine McCutcheon.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2021 5:15 AM

Stephanie was in her fifties when this photo was taken; she looks good here. Did she have more work done at some point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2021 5:23 PM

Being a tiny woman never stopped the likes of Anita Baker from becoming a superstar. I don't think her height had anything to do with why she never became a mega-seller or even Broadway staple after The Wiz. She was awkward looking before getting work done, but by the 80s, she was attractive.

I believe a lot had to do with the fact she became strictly R&B and never made more crossover music akin to I Never Knew Love Like This Before.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2021 5:31 PM

I don't think she's had much done beyond the rhinoplasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2021 5:43 PM

She dresses well too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2021 5:43 PM

I think she had her teeth fixed, too. In the 70s, she had a bit of an underbite.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 5:46 PM

Nose, teeth and the chin isn’t as prominent. Also I think she did some skin bleaching but didn’t go overboard. She went with a surgeon who knew how to work on black faces.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2021 5:58 PM

Not a bleacher. It's easy to alter skin tone in post production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2021 5:59 PM

Ok, she doesn't always dress well... But she's has gay friends at least...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2021 6:00 PM

I caught that shade, R63, with the "she has gay friends at least" by posting a picture of her with BeBe Winans! 😂

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2021 6:02 PM

Steph likes Chita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2021 6:02 PM

An InstaLive with Freddie Jackson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2021 6:03 PM

R63, R64, I didn't know that about BeBe!! He was cute for a little bit, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2021 6:48 PM

BeBe must have made a change in his life. Before likes went private, he liked a lot of shirtless men on his IG.

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2021 6:58 PM

And BeBe is tight with Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]BeBe must have made a change in his life. Before likes went private, he liked a lot of shirtless men on his IG.

How did he feel when one of his sisters sang that awful song, "It's Not Natural"? It was a Winans sister who sang it, right?

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!