Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daniel Craig Explains Why He Prefers Going to Gay Bars Instead of ‘Hetero’ Ones

Daniel Craig is opening up about the kind of bars and restaurants he likes to go to!

While promoting his final James Bond movie No Time to Die, the 53-year-old actor revealed that he enjoys going to gay bars.

“I’ve been going to gay bars for as long as I can remember,” Daniel shared on the SiriusXM podcast Lunch with Bruce. “One of the reasons, because I don’t get into fights in gay bars that often… because the aggressive d--k swinging in hetero bars, I just got very sick of [it].”

Daniel continued, “As a kid because it was like...I don’t want to end up eating in a punch up. And I did. That would happen quite a lot. And it would just be a good place to go. Everybody was chill, everybody."

Daniel, who has been married to wife Rachel Weisz since 2011, went on to add that he used to go to gay bars when he was younger because it was an easier way for him to pick up women.

"You didn’t really have to sort of state your sexuality. It was okay. And it was a very safe place to be," Daniel explained. "And I could meet girls there, cause there are a lot of girls there for exactly the same reason I was there. It was kind of ... an ulterior motive.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2021 4:49 PM

Riiiiiiiiiight.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 7:35 AM

well least he's not homophobic

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 7:35 AM

R2 No, but it is almost as bad. Invading our spaces for selfish reasons. What if a gay men asked him out and was shot down. In a gay bar, I shouldn’t have to worry if the men are perhaps straight.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 7:37 AM

I forgot he was married to Rachel Weisz. They keep a very low profile as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 7:38 AM

He's English, luvs. It's different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 7:49 AM

There is something queer about that story. What straight guy goes to a gay bar to meet women? A truly straight guy would be very uncomfortable being approached by men. Which would invariably happen in a gay bar. Maybe he's not gay though. Perhaps it's his gay version of the "my best friend is black" thing.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 7:54 AM

Almost exactly what my actor boyfriend used to say about going to gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 8:09 AM

He's afraid stories will surface that people used to see him in gay bars.

But why? He's made a ton of money and his career is winding-down. What else can a craggy 53-yr. old play but dads?

I bet he and Weisz are bearding for each other.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 8:10 AM

R3 "What if a gay men asked him out and was shot down" So what? You think he was gay there would be no chance of you getting shot down?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 8:13 AM

R6, I used to have straight friends go to Rage or the Abbey in L.A. to pick up women as far back as the late 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 8:27 AM

There've been tons of gay rumors about Craig over the years. Nothing new here.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 8:32 AM

Craig has somehow never looked more attractive than when playing the grizzled, beaten, bloodied, sleep-deprived journalist in TGWTDT. A few strategically staged bar fights in his youth would probably have netted him more women, if that's really what he was after.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 8:46 AM

R9 Of course, but for different reasons. Gay men should have the security of knowing that in a gay men, the men are actually GAY. We do not have the luxury of getting to just hit on men or ask them out in most spaces. Gay bars are one of our few spaces. They were not created for straight men to pick up women; they can do that anywhere.

I am not saying straight men can never go to gay bars. Perhaps if they are with a gay friend then it is okay, but to go with the intention of picking up women is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 8:58 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 9:13 AM

Straight bars = Toxic masculinity

Gay bars = Faaaabulous!

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 9:17 AM

R6 Have you ever met a straight man? Jesus

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 9:22 AM

Here in LA, I know straight men who love to go to gay pride festivals because its a good place to pick up straight women who go to pride with their gay best friends.

Same principle would apply to going to a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 9:25 AM

[quote]Have you ever met a straight man? Jesus

No one knows whether Jesus was straight or not. Jesus

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 9:26 AM

The few bars I have been to had straight men. I fucked them all because you know....curious.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 9:28 AM

R6, I think that he is just pandering in the most blatant, transparent and condescending way imaginable. He's clearly pulling a Ben Cohen: "I'm not gay, but I maybe could be depending on the context... Watch my film / donate to my charity / buy my record! And remember that I'm down with the gays and their money!"

It's pathetic that so many people here are falling for it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 9:29 AM

Fuck him and fuck Ben Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 9:32 AM

R18 Not only was that a fail-- it doesn't even make sense. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 9:33 AM

^Agree completely.

Almost every man in my life is in fact straight (family, lots of friends, colleagues etc) and none of them find themselves in regular bar fights. None of them.

This is nothing more than “See, everyone…I’m not a homophobe. Look how nice I’m being about the gays. Did you notice? I’M NOT A HOMOPHOBE”.

This reminds me of the straight women who pretend they “so would” with some famous lesbian. Liars.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 9:34 AM

[quote]Not only was that a fail-- it doesn't even make sense.

it makes total sense.

You sound dumb.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 9:36 AM

I had a straight friend years ago who preferred clubbing in gay clubs for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 9:47 AM

R24 And you sound trite.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 9:48 AM

We are all married or partnered now, but I have a couple of straight guy friends who loved going with me to the gay bars back in our single days. They always scored with the straight women. All of them were cool if they got hit on by gay guys. I always appreciated that they would go with me. So what if they were looking for pussy, I was looking for cock! They were great wingmen for me, too.

These nights were always at the big club/ dance gay bars. I never really took them to the smaller, traditionally “men only” bars. That might have been a bit much for them. The funny thing was when I’d go with them to “straight” bars, I’d get hit on by women more than they did…in fact, I still get hit on by women more than I do bymen.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 10:39 AM

[quote] In a gay bar, I shouldn’t have to worry if the men are perhaps straight.

If you’re not his type, you’re not his type. It doesn’t matter why.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 10:49 AM

This belief that every man at a gay bar should be sexually available to you is bizarre

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 10:50 AM

Oh, Daniel. Trying to pre-empt the coming gossip about sightings? Nobody goes to gay bars to pick up women, FGS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 11:03 AM

R10, Do you look as gullible as you write?

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 11:04 AM

Here in NYC, the hipper straight guys definitely go to the gay clubs for the EXACT reason he states. Plus, at least back in my day, the music was way better.

Anecdotally, a very good friend of mine, who is straight, met his now wife on the roof of the eagle - we were there at the beer blast one afternoon and she was there with her bulldyke sister and a gaggle of gays. It was very cute. All of us went to the wedding and they even got the set that DJ Paul Ferrer played that day and cranked it up at the reception.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 11:04 AM

Wonder if this statement was made in case he gets caught in a gay bar and has to think up an excuse....

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 11:05 AM

[Quote]A truly straight guy would be very uncomfortable being approached by men.

Are you posting from the 1950s r6? No, in real world there are tons of straight guys who aren't terrified of the gay.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 11:07 AM

It's funny, the number of guys here who think some straight guys don't go to gay venues - unless they're CLOSETED!!!

You clearly don't live in any of the big cities.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 11:10 AM

I read somewhere that he has a gay brother and threw a bachelor party for him at a gay bar called the Rooster, or something like that

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2021 11:17 AM

Well I never!

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2021 11:33 AM

R28 It matters because it can be awkward and distressing. Picking up someone is hard enough already without the added stress of having to wonder “is he or isn’t he gay” that we have to play everywhere else.

Why should he be allowed to use our space to pick up women. It is like treating our spaces as his play ground. He is mocking our spaces. If he said he went to gay bars because they have better drinks it may be different. But instead he is using our spaces.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2021 11:33 AM

[quote] He is mocking our spaces.

This should be the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2021 12:12 PM

r35, right

what strikes me as odd is OLDER straight men going into gay clubs. twenty-somethings, sure, fifty-somethings? less likely

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2021 12:16 PM

“ what strikes me as odd is OLDER straight men going into gay clubs. twenty-somethings, sure, fifty-somethings? less likely”

So that means Craig is secretly gay yah? That’s what you’re getting at, right?

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 12:18 PM

nope, it just strikes me as odd, not impossible, just odd

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2021 12:26 PM

R5 I love that link. In case anybody doesn't know, Heaven is/use to be, one of the biggest gay bars in London. It is located near Kings Cross station and has about three floors. Everyone was going there back in the 90's and Divine performed there many times. Judy said she went to see Cher there. Anyway, it is very plausible that Daniel would be very welcome there and pick up anybody he wants with no problems. It was a free-for-all, similar to Studio 54 in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2021 12:27 PM

Kevin Spacey loved the gay rumors about him because it made it easier for him to score with hot chicks who wanted to "convert" him.

Just sayin

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2021 12:29 PM

He wanted to get the gays talking about him. He succeeded.

Now if only the gays will buy tickets to his shitty movie everything will go just as planned by Mr. Craig and his publicist.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 12:32 PM

This feels very tone deaf to me. I doubt it is true, but sounds like a story one says to sound cooler. However, while that may be the case in the 90s, it just comes across as cringe now. You go to gay bars? Who cares? Everyone does.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 12:48 PM

There was a married man who used to meet his side piece in the gay bar where I worked. Because his wife would never dream of looking for him there. We also had a couple of French exchange students who enjoyed the company of gay people with whom they could discuss the arts with. They found straight American bars too crude…

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 1:02 PM

Being that he's GAY , of course he would prefer going to gay bars instead of hetero ones.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 1:59 PM

R47, they are

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2021 2:00 PM

Thanks for gaslighting trans bars, you monster.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2021 2:23 PM

I just saw him in The Mother last night. Very hawt. Saw his ass. No winky though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 2:47 PM

" Here in LA, I know straight men who love to go to gay pride festivals because its a good place to pick up straight women who go to pride with their gay best friends"

I tell my straight friends to stay the fuck home during Pride. It's NOT for them.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 2:48 PM

How do you explain the passionate kissing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 4:32 PM

Oh no, another queerbaiter.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote]Perhaps it's his gay version of the "my best friend is black" thing.

You have no idea, R6.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 4:42 PM

That's funny. I like going to straight bars to pick up straight men.

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 4:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 4:50 PM

R51: I love that movie and have been searching for a dvd copy for years. Is it streaming currently?

I've always wondered if the Anne Reid character's drawings were anatomically accurate, wink wink.

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2021 4:56 PM

I'm with [R13] . If Craig is being honest, it's always good to have straight guys who are so comfortable with their masculinity that we don't threaten them. On the other hand, straight men can walk comfortably in 99.9% of the planet, and I wish they'd leave the .1% of the rest of the planet for us. Unless they look like Daniel Craig and want me to fuck them.

And for the record, I also know two straight women who met their (allegedly) straight husbands in gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2021 5:18 PM

Glad that Craig cleared this up and discussed his reasons for going to gay bars, since probably everyone in NY or LA has heard he has been seen in gay bars (and tabloids got photos of it too).

What he's describing is not an isolated case. Actors who are action stars can not go to busy clubs or bars without being attacked. These clubs are populated by fit, young alpha men oozing testosterone who, especially after a few drinks, can't handle themselves. This is why its cheaper for actors to go to clubs with bodyguards--its cheaper to pay bodyguards than to deal with the lawsuits that occur when a young man attacks an actor and then turns around and sues him because he's rich. It happens a lot. And when the young men have girlfriends who want to meet the actor, or get into the VIP when their boyfriend doesn't, that also causes them to go apeshit.

Machine Gun Kelly talked about this on Howard Stern and seemed really depressed about it. nobody bothered to tell him that this isn't bad luck, its just what happens when an attractive male celebrity shows up at a hot club without proper security measures (like having 1 or 2 bodyguards, plus a few friends who can jump in for backup).

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2021 5:51 PM

Clearly I am in the tragic minority that finds Daniel Craig of no sexual interest. And his Bond was of no sexual interest. Without that....what is the point? Plus, he seemed incapable of having fun in the role--in the one or two I've seen, he was a cold-eyed murderer. If being James Bond isn't fun., what, again, is the point?

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2021 9:02 PM

R41, An actor married to a beard? Say it isn't so!

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2021 12:03 AM

GAYER than CHRISTMAS!!

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2021 12:11 AM

As much as I'd love having Mr. Craig pitching on our team, I've been told from a reliable source he does not.

Why do straight men go to gay bars? No competition. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote]Why do straight men go to gay bars?

They don't and not on their own - they sometimes go to dance clubs for fun and usually with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2021 12:25 AM

[Quote] Machine Gun Kelly talked about this on Howard Stern and seemed really depressed about it. nobody bothered to tell him that this isn't bad luck, its just what happens when an attractive male celebrity shows up at a hot club without proper security measures (like having 1 or 2 bodyguards, plus a few friends who can jump in for backup).

MGK isn't attractive and has talked about being into 13 year old girls 🤢

by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2021 5:43 AM

Wife Rachel is definitely bi or lesbian. Stories of her kissing women at Henrietta Hudson and Cubby Hole in NYC go way back to her Mummy Days. Since Rachel is queer - Daniel probably is also. This story is an excuse to get ahead of the rumors. What would've been cooler (than this lame story) is if Daniel would've just come out of the closet (or kept quiet and did the glass closet thing) since his Bond run is over. But nope! Obviously, he still wants leading man work.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2021 12:57 PM

Look, it doesn't matter if YOU know "straight" guys who went or go to gay bars for this or that; the story is about Craig's claims. And they are lame-o!

He goes ONLY to gay bars because he doesn't want a barfight with heteros?

Yeah, okay. Sure, Jan.

The new Superman might not be straight, but James Bond had better damn well be perceived to be!

by Anonymousreply 68October 15, 2021 2:24 PM

Well, he did get his wife pregnant just a couple of years ago, she was in her late 40s...so they are at least bi. or they used IVF. so who knows?

He went on vacation with that guy from Bravo...he has horrible taste in men.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2021 2:33 PM

He's obviously bi. He hates doing James Bond and the whole macho bullshit and clearly finds it oppressive and I think he feels a sell-out. This weird "confession" is not an accident. He knows exactly what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2021 3:37 PM

A regular hen party guest, this one

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2021 4:05 PM

Yet he didn’t really give an explanation as to why he was kissing a man in a gay bar. It’s all just a word salad.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2021 4:14 PM

All very interesting .....

5 years ago I recounted a hook up with a man who looked enormously like Daniel Craig, and I thought it was him and was slammed on this very site for the mere suggestions that my Shopbottom was Craig. The man I met ...and fucked told me his name was Rotten. Stupidist fake name ever but he was a hot fuck.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2021 4:17 PM

As long as they're respectful to the crowd there and help patronize the place financially, I don't see it being that big of a deal. I doubt a straight guy who intentionally goes to a gay bar would flip out if he gets hit on. Probably enjoys the attention, gets better service from the bartenders and enjoys the culture. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Also, in my experience at least, many of the guys I've known who stripped at our local gay bars were actually completely straight.

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2021 4:23 PM

Every time this guy opens his mouth I like him less.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2021 4:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!