Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lies In The Workplace

I worked with a guy a few years ago ..who was 100% obviously Jewish. I grew up in Brooklyn so I have no issue with any race culture religion etc. What bothered me is that he lied about it. He said he was raised Catholic. Most of the other Jewish people in the office steered clear of him. I did a little digging and found out he went to Yeshiva HS. Honestly I felt sorry for the guy.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 3:03 AM

Maybe he lied and hid his a Jewishness because of all the virulent anti Semitic shit that’s thrown at him .I am half Jewish and half Peruvian.I never hide it and if some one asks about my ancestry I’m very open. I look more Peruvian than typically Jewish because I “pass” as a gentile I have been privy to the way many people see and view Jews. It was very upsetting for me as a young person to know that people looked down on and hated Jews. poor guy he probably has real trust issues and is lonely.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 3:51 PM

R1 I know I felt terrible for him.-especially in NY.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 4:10 PM

Oy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 4:15 PM

Oh I worked with this woman who had pictures of her kids all over her desk. Typical frau. She talked nonstop about their soccer games, activities etc Her children would send her the most beautiful flower arrangements for holidays birthdays etc. Years later I learned that she passed away so I looked up her obituary as you do. Turns out she was single had no husband or children. She made the whole thing up. I can’t imagine the length she had to go to through to keep that shit going. My friend in HR confirmed that she had no family.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 4:18 PM

R4, that is just about the saddest thing I’ve ever read! A real live Eleanor Rigby!!

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 6:45 PM

I worked with one who was a real doozy. He had a lie for everything, but the best one was the farm he purchased and he cleaned the massive amount of hay out of the barn. He claimed underneath all the hay was a perfectly preserved Ford Model T.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 6:51 PM

R6 That’s ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 11:39 PM

R7, that was the pinnacle. No one believed ANYTHING he said after that one.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 2:47 AM

lots of insecure people around

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 3:56 AM

i have a friend who's single and has no children but he put a photo of his nephew on his desk at work and said it was his son so he can take days and afternoons off when the kid is 'sick'. That's smart. He was sick of the frauen in the workplace taking time off for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 3:58 AM

R10 I don’t blame him women get away with so much shit in the workplace.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 2:03 PM

There was a secretary at work who feigned a pregnancy!! Total nutso!

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 4:10 PM

Look up "pseudologia fantastica" and "factitious disorders"

I've worked with two women who were both pseudologues. It's a fascinating but highly unsettling phenomenon

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 4:14 PM

OP sounds obsessed with someone at work

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 4:18 PM

I fired an employee for lying about his father’s death to get time off. He insulted my intelligence by making an obviously fake funeral program on Microsoft Word and passing it off to me. I called the funeral home and they said they had never heard of his father.

I also found out he had lied about having a daughter to get time off when he claimed he was in a car accident.

The sick thing is that he had vacation time available and there was no reason to do this.

When I fired him our complaint denied his unemployment claim. He countered him and claimed I fired him because he told me he was HIV positive.

What a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 4:19 PM

He was saving his vacation time for vacation - not dad's funeral.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote] Look up "pseudologia fantastica" and "factitious disorders"

At least provide a link you lazy whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 4:23 PM

The APA distinguishes it from pathological lying, r17.

[quote]pseudologia fantastica: a clinical syndrome characterized by elaborate fabrications, which are usually concocted to impress others, to get out of an awkward situation, or to give the individual an ego boost. Unlike the fictions of confabulation, these fantasies are believed only momentarily and are dropped as soon as they are contradicted by evidence. Typical examples are the tall tales told by people with antisocial personality disorder, although the syndrome is also found among malingerers and individuals with factitious disorders, neuroses, and psychoses. See also pathological lying.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 4:26 PM

Everyone has a kid in their class like this growing up and some people never seem to grow out of it. I can’t say I’ve even been listening that closely when coworkers tell me stories about their personal lives, honestly. I did work with a woman who took three weeks off after her great-uncle died because she said it was a cultural custom. She quit shortly after…I admire the hustle.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 4:26 PM

I had a job working with photographs. I had some candid shots of a handsome model and put it in my wallet. Showed it to people and said he was my boyfriend. Got lots of attention. I only did it once years ago but I still feel bad about it. I must have been in a very depressed place in my life. Lying like that is really pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2021 4:35 PM

I keep a pic of my sons on my desk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2021 4:38 PM

Well...this is America, people's backgrounds can be complicated. Perhaps he had an Irish or Italian parent as well who knows. I would give him the benefit of a doubt because I've never known anyone to lie about being jewish in this day and age. Or perhaps he had experienced prior harassment as r1 suggests.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2021 4:42 PM

I worked with a very bizarre straight man years ago who constantly tried to stir up fights and resentment among co workers. It was the way he did it that was so odd. It was very 13 year old girl drama queeny. He would say stuff like " You know, Rob doesn't like you and I'm not sure why" to one co worker. Or make an announcement that someone had told him that they wouldn't attend a party after work if another co worker came but he refused to say which one. No one could figure out how much of his remarks were true, if any. But he was fixated on trying to turn people against each other. He was extremely socially awkward almost aspie on the surface but would always get this weird glint in his eyes when he would try to shit stir. After I left I heard that he was caught molesting a passed out drunk female co worker at a party after work.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2021 4:52 PM

Many years ago I had an employee email me to say she couldn’t get to work because the buses and trains on Long Island were not running. When I read it I was on the bus to her LIRR line. (Mine really was down.) SMH

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2021 4:53 PM

I know a woman who grew up in NYC and claimed she had a pony, growing up. And assorted other things that might lead one to conclude she was a wealthy WASP girl.

The creepy thing is that she knew I knew the truth. I knew her growing up, and was literally dating a guy who lived in her building and went to preschool with her. Like, at least tell those stories to people who didn’t actually grow up with you.

She also likes to reminisce and she’ll say things like “Oh I remember when you …” and that’s literally NOT what happened.

Recollections may vary, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2021 5:08 PM

I am on a diet and pleaded to everyone at work PLEASE don’t bring up my birthday, bring cake, etc. I hate celebrating now that I’m 52 and don’t like all the unwanted attention. Every one of my clients that day made comments, etc.

Well the somewhat aggressive frau new girl who only works twice a week brought me flowers and balloons,(I think she’s also trying to butter me up as her manager as she’s gotten into plenty of trouble) and was about to go get cake, friend chicken, etc. as well.

After she left, and without telling her I dumped the flowers, cake, and herded everyone together and told them my father died on my birthday and all the flowers and attention remind me of DEATH-

and please never again. I know it was a cunty thing to do but I really don’t like people I barely know doing this.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2021 5:15 PM

Decades ago I worked with a woman who claimed she was once a fashion model and was friends with Oscar De La Renta. I wouldn't exactly call her beautiful. She was older. Her skin wasn't great. She did have really lush outfits she'd wear to work but the seasons never quite matched. She'd roll in wearing a giant white fur coat in the middle of summer. She'd sit and tell us story after story about her modeling days and partying at night in NYC. The problem was, we didn't believe her because it didn't make sense that she'd be working with us. We were all temps. It was just odd.

One day, a group of us were outside about to to go happy hour after work. Then a limo pulls up. We didn't think anything of it because a lot of rich people worked in our building. This woman walks out of the building and up to the car. A man gets out, opens the door for her and as she gets in, my friend catches a glimpse of a man she said was Oscar De La Renta.

She was fricking telling the truth the entire time and everyone in our office had been making fun of her for months.

Our temp assignment ended shortly after that but I've never forgotten that woman.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2021 5:18 PM

That's a great story!

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 5:27 PM

I had a co-worker who did this, back in the 1990s, he'd tell all sorts of whoppers about his lifestyle and private life, and other people assured me that they weren't true.

The thing is, I didn't hate him and wasn't creeped out by him, and nobody else seemed to be either. He was a black guy trying to make it in a white-dominated field, and office rumor had it that he was a first-generation college grand and first-generation middle class. He was nice enough and never did anyone any harm, he was just massively socially insecure,

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 6:04 PM

Our of the executives that was hired to replace a very high level executive that I used to lied -- lied that SHE HAD GIVEN UP HER OLD JOB! She would "roll in" around 10:30-11 (when the office opened at 8) and leave before 3, claiming she had strict dietary needs and couldn't eat prepared food elsewhere so she chose not to eat at work and was just going to go home for the rest of the day. Later when it appeared she was in over her head and didn't know diddly squat about the role she was taking, she kept yanking on the vertical blinds in her office. I was walking by and asked if she needed help. She said no and kept yanking. Well eventually the whole thing crashed on her head, including the metal track. Well there we go. Incident report filed, work comp. She was never seen again. Later on after she left we found out that she had never left her teaching professorship at all and had continued to teach in the afternoons. I guess she was just trying out!

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Some lies are necessary

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2021 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!