Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

COVID testing etiquette

Dear Miss Manners: a friend is planning a small dinner party in honor of my birthday. She has asked me and the other invitees to take a coronavirus test before the party and, presumably, not attend if found positive. All invitees are vaccinated. Is her request usual/sensible/the done thing now?

I hate parties and would just as soon not attend but since it’s for me, I’m feeling some obligation.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 7:13 PM

Tell her that at your advanced age you don't feel comfortable partaking in an indoor gathering just yet.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 2:00 PM

Just call and say you've got a cough and fever.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 2:32 PM

Does she have kids in her house? If not, this seems a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 2:35 PM

If one is entertaining friends in their own home a request for a negative test result is a bit too much. One should choose friends of a like mind where 13th century belief systems generally don't figure. A gathering of acquaintences or the dread 'general public' sure why not.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 2:49 PM

Tell her you’ve been sneezing 🤧 all morning and you hope this won’t be a problem

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 2:49 PM

A friend who works at the FDA said that the tests were fast-tracked through the approval process with tremendous pressure to get them approved whether they were accurate or not. So whether it's reasonable or not to require them for a dinner party keep in mind that they are highly inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2021 2:57 PM

It seems a bit much and unless she is requiring you to bring the completed test, most people are probably just going to lie anyway. Since you don't like parties/being the center of attention, this party is for your friend and not for you. I would beg off.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2021 3:11 PM

Tell her to hold off 'til next year.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2021 3:20 PM

Tell her to go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2021 4:28 PM

I've attended 2 pool parties this summer where rapid tests were given at the door and we all took them and had a great time. All attendees were vaccinated and one of the hosts was a doctor. I thought he must know something or wouldn't spend the $$ to have the tests.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2021 4:40 PM

What would have happened, r10, if a guest tested positive? I imagine that would be awkward.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!