Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scripted nature shows

Like Serengeti or Penguin Town. Does somebody write a scripted and then cobble together footage to match? Are the "stars" even the same animals?

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 5:15 AM

No. The staff get the footage and then they cobble together a highly-emotional fake script.

Disney did in the 50s. Attenborough does it now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2021 1:26 AM

There shows are very limited.

Humans use words and can portray 20 emotions.

Animals can only convey three emotions.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2021 1:30 AM

Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" with host Marlon Perkins and his studly assistant "Jim" was the ultimate example of this. Jim did all the risky, scary stuff. "Jim will now attempt to steal one of the eggs from the mother crocodile." I realize I am dating myself.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2021 2:14 AM

I loathe these shows. Yes, MARY!, but I do. Even the ones that are supposed to be all BBC 1 and high end and prestigious (the Attenborough ones, as mentioned previously) are emotionally manipulative, saccharine shite that wouldn't even, minus all the sex and killing, be suitable for children.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] Attenborough

He's a geriatric who's suddenly facing death while sitting in a London studio while a thousand uncredited assistants crawl through mud and sit in trees getting some excellent visuals.

But as you say, R4, the scripts are as 'manipulative and saccharine' as those dreamed up by Walt (Anti-Semite) Disney.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2021 2:41 AM

So nature shows have always been an Althusserian "repressive state apparatus" projecting onto innocent animals the brutal strategizing of international finance capital

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 2:52 AM

Disney = Predator and faker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 4:10 AM

The lead penguin in Penguin Town was replaced after multiple reports of abusive and disruptive behavior on set. The final straw was when she threw a bag of raw shrimp at a crew member and screamed that she wanted chilean sea bass only.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2021 4:24 AM

Never meet your idols, R8

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2021 7:54 PM

Richard Attenborough died at age 91.

David Attenborough is 95 and will die soon.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2021 5:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!