Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Land acknowledgements

Do you live anywhere where people in professional situations perform land acknowledgements before meetings, or classes, or get-togethers, where they acknowledge the land they've taken away from indigenous peoples?

This is done everywhere in Canadian universities and colleges--they cannot have any sort of gathering without first having the initial speaker make the acknowledgement. I've heard they do in California universities too.

It's like a kind of secular prayer before meetings.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 11:52 PM

This was done before each and every one of Trump’s cabinet meetings.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 10:51 PM

What about my trailer what got repossessed? Huh? What about dat?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 10:52 PM

Right before the COVID lockdown I went to a lecture on a college campus and the moderator did this before introducing the speaker.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 10:58 PM

I work at a university in Chicago, and I know it has been done sometimes. At least for now, it hasn't become a routine part of all gatherings/ceremonies/etc., for which I'm glad. It's ridiculous to make it a routine thing. Guess what - all land in the world has been fought over previously, and there are winners and losers in every war. You don't have to acknowledge the losers every day for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 10:59 PM

If it's so fucking disturbing that you must make daily atonement, stop being a hypocrite and give the land back, assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 11:01 PM

I know of a regional theatre company that in Before Times used include a land acknowledgement in the pre-show turn-off-your-damn-phone announcement.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 11:12 PM

There should be a ritual where everyone gloats over having stolen the land.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 11:14 PM

Many of the non-profit / off-broadway theaters are doing it now; its really the apotheosis of an empty, feel-good gesture -- donate some of the event's proceeds a tribal education fund and actually do some good.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 11:33 PM

I would love it if businesses did the same thing with plaques by the door.

[bold]BY ENTERING THESE PREMISES, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THIS STARBUCKS WAS BUILT ON SACRED BURIAL LANDS OF THE ANASAZI, WHO ARE HONORED WITH A NEW TRAVEL MUG FOR ONLY $18.95[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 11:46 PM

I have always honored my ancestors in this way! I toast their sacrifice with tiswin, made with maize. You call it corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 11:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!