Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Multi Episode Programming Burnout

So many documentary-type shows and even dramas are dragged out into 3-8 episodes . Even shows like Ted Lasso have filler episodes dedicated to weird tangents focusing on particular characters. Anyone else experiencing multiple episode programming burnout? I am taking a break from anything that requires more than a two hour commitment.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 11:00 PM

I think the UK srries format is the best: 6 one-hour episodes are enough. If one can't tell a story in 6 hours, then it's not a good story to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote]ven shows like Ted Lasso have filler episodes dedicated to weird tangents focusing on particular characters.

Those two episodes this season happened because the writers already had S2 mapped out when Apple gave them an additional 2 episodes so they used two discarded plot lines to fulfill the order.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 10:35 PM

I hear you, OP. I posted in another thread recently that I miss the days when TV series produced self-contained episodes. Everything now has to be serialized and it really gets tiresome after a while.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 10:38 PM

Today’s programming is why I stopped reading Stephen King novels when I was younger. Lots of unnecessary plot and character development derivations, so his books were unnecessarily long and tedious. Why do I need to start following the life of the liquor store cashier who the main character meets while buying beer?

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 10:55 PM

Quite a few limited series would've worked much better as a two-hour movie. The plot gets dragged out with a lot of filler. HBO's recent The Outsider is a good example. Ten episodes was FAR too much, the whole story could've been told in two hours.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!