Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trevante Rhodes Used His Gay Best Friend for Inspiration in ‘Moonlight’

Trevante Rhodes’ breakthrough role came in 2016’s Moonlight. Directed by Barry Jenkins, the film was a coming-of-age movie about Chiron: a young gay black male growing up in poverty. Rhodes’ take on Chiron granted him massive critical acclaim and catapulted a career that’s still endlessly growing. But to do the character justice, Rhodes had to draw from emotional places to nail a riveting performance.

One of those places saw the young actor using his gay friend as inspiration.

But Rhodes also related to the character because of a gay friend he used to have in his childhood.

“And then growing up with a best friend who is a homosexual and seeing what he had to go through with his family, with other people, and not being able to identify with anyone because he felt like no one would be able to relate, and all these things.”

Although Rhodes’ gay friend was an inspiration, the Bird Box actor insisted that it wasn’t his primary inspirational source.

“One of my best friends is homosexual, so I knew his struggle, but it wasn’t about pulling from that,” Rhodes told People. “I didn’t want to make it about that. It was really just about understanding people, understanding love and relationships.”

Who is Trevante Rhodes dating?

The United States vs. Billie Holiday actor has kept most of his personal business close to the chest. In 2019, however, the once single bachelor was rumored to be engaged with fitness model Mara Wright. The website theybf.com broke the news, revealing an Instagram post where Rhodes is seen hugging his suspected girlfriend. His girlfriend is wearing what looks like an engagement ring, fueling the speculation that Rhodes proposed to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 12:13 AM

He’s so handsome

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 9:15 PM

He was so good in that movie!

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 9:43 PM

What a beautiful dude

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 10:14 PM

I had a black friend as a kid. When can I play a black character in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!