Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Not Sure About Going Back to The Gym

I put my membership on hold earlier this year, around the time everyone was getting vaccinated, figuring it was just a matter of time before things returned to normal. However, obviously that is not going to happen anytime soon.

While I go on walks at the park for cardio, I’m not getting any strength training, and my job is rather sedentary. I also have underlying health conditions, which a gym routine would improve, and I have had the two doses plus the booster or the vaccine.

Unfortunately I live in Texas and there are no mask mandates. I called the gym and confirmed this, and they said that mask use was sporadic but not consistent. I don’t have the space or means to work out at home, otherwise I would. I’m in my early 50s as well.

Any advice on whether I should go back to the gym? I feel like going wearing a mask would be possible, but not sure if it’s an unnecessarily risky environment. I can’t afford to get sick, but bring unhealthy and/or waiting for COVID to go away seems unrealistic at this point.

Appreciate real feedback and not cunty responses or EST troll accusations. Also if anyone can recommend online yoga programs that can be done I’d greatly appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2021 12:16 AM

I reinstated my gym membership this summer, after I was fully vaxxed. I go to one in Orange County CA, where masks are encouraged but there isn't a mandate, so mask use is VERY sporadic. I put my mask on in the parking lot and keep it on till I'm back in my car after my workout. I also use hand sanitizer every time I switch machines. I've stayed healthy, and it's really picked up my mood. You sound smart and careful, so I say go back.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 8:49 PM

Do you go to Cut Fitness, r1?

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 8:51 PM

Wear an N95 rather than a cloth or paper mask, and never take it off anywhere within the building.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 8:52 PM

Thanks R1. I know this is DL, but sometimes real advice here is invaluable. I feel like staying inside forever is a slow death and is unrealistic—and it’s time to get busy living or get busy dying.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 9:02 PM

Are there smaller boutique-type fitness places you can go to for strength, yoga, etc? I agree that staying inside forever is slow death, but even before COVID, gyms were the best place to pick up the virus of the day. For at least this winter, I think I'm going to wait out the gym a little longer & explore other options.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 9:07 PM

Echoing r3, I mentioned in another thread I wear a KN95 mask to the gym and I feel pretty safe. Almost no one in my gym wears a mask (and if they do, they usually leave their nose uncovered, or such nonsense). Of course, I'm in NYC, where everyone has to show proof of vaccination to get in, so that may be less scary than TX (where I assume no such mandates are in place). A KN95 (or N95) might not be the most fun to wear when lifting heavy (and breathing heavy), but I've mostly gotten used to it while squatting or with deadlifts. But I feel as safe as possible.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] Wear an N95 rather than a cloth or paper mask, and never take it off anywhere within the building.

How do you wear a mask in the steam room? Is it uncomfortable?

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote] I put my membership on hold earlier this year, around the time everyone was getting vaccinated, figuring it was just a matter of time before things returned to normal.

Why didn’t you put your membership on hold way earlier than that, like for the whole year before vaccines became available?

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 9:21 PM

I think going there for nothing but strength training wearing a mask, not using the locker room except to use the bathroom, and doing cardio outside might be a good alternative.

R5 I feel like smaller ones would be worse. At least with the bigger gyms you can attempt to distance and go at non peak hours as well. Good suggestion though!

R8 it was on hold while they were closed then re-opened and it seemed like with vaccines it was just a matter of time. But as dumb cunt anti vaxxers and the delta variant dominated, I gave up and put it on hold. I am trying to be more pragmatic and less of a malignant optimist now.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 9:28 PM

OP. given what you have described I wouldn't go back. But, I understand and am sympathetic to your predicament. I'm in NYC where it is now mandatory to show proof of vaccination before anyone can enter a gym, restaurants, etc. I admit (regarding the gym) it does give some sense of security in knowing that everyone around you have been vaccinated even though you still should use caution. It has affected the gym population. There aren't nearly as many people working out (although it's still a good crowd) and it has caused rumors to arise about regular members that you no longer see.

But, may I humbly suggest you make use of the internet. There are TONS of workout programs whether it's YouTube or some other sites that offer various workouts for free. Buy yourself some dumb bells, bands, and a jump rope, and that should do good for you. You would be surprised how handy a park bench can be. Or, even a tree. The only issue is that you have to do it. That's where the motivation of a gym comes into play. I suggest that you look for a workout partner(s) who you can work with and you motivate each other. Also, check out some outdoor boot camps and if you can afford it a Personal Trainer.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 9:31 PM

I’m going to hold out until Spring before I go back to the gym. As we enter the winter months I’m more worried about flu than Covid. Gyms are a hotbed of germs.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 9:33 PM

Good advice R10. It’s a clusterfuck down here with our idiot governor. I already decline invites of a group I belong to because certain people are not vaccinated for different reasons, and precautions vary based on personal choice. I kind of feel like I’m rotting in solitary isolation, and connecting online via Zoom is annoying af. Sucks that deciding to go to the gym is a life and death decision.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 9:40 PM

I have to take the same decision, OP and I haven't made my mind up yet. I tried hard for one and half year to keep my muscles but I almost lost 30% of their size which isn't very bad after all, but I can't keep working out at home anymore. Wearing a mask and using sanitizers after every machine and dumble is the only option if I start to go back to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 11:00 PM

I also froze my gym membership. I'm not going back until I don't have to wear a mask and the showers are open. My gym is in SF, and it already requires proof of vaccination. There was a brief window in the spring when they dropped the mask rule and opened the wet area, but the Delta variant put an end to that. SF may be lifting its mask mandate soon, thank God, because I really need to get rid of this Covid nineteen. (Also, I've missed the eye candy.)

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 11:09 PM

OP, you said you've been triple-vaxxed. You're totally fine, go back to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 11:18 PM

I should add that one of the reasons that I wouldn't go back is because the OP is in Texas. Were the OP to make the choice to return BUT also choose to wear a mask he could be putting his very life in danger. These anti-maskers/vaxxers have gone crazy. Who wants to experience stares, bullying, and/or possible death?

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 11:29 PM

[quote] I'm not going back until I don't have to wear a mask and the showers are open.

Wait, showers and steam rooms are open yet? What’s the point of going to a gym then?

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 11:30 PM

I'm in California. I belong to two different gyms. At my first gym, which is my preferred gym (nicer place, closer to my house), memberships were frozen through June 2021. Then we had an option of going back in July 2021 for full membership or going virtual for a reduced monthly fee. I opted for the virtual plan because there are a lot of kids who go to this particular gym, and kids are not vaccinated yet. Once kids are vaccinated, I will consider going back.

I also have another a second membership to another gym (different gym company, closer to my former employer) that has adults only. I do go to that gym periodically, although not nearly as frequently as I used to go. It may take a while for me to get used to being around people sharing machines, although many people wear masks there. This particular gym opened in August 2020 with full membership required, but because of the fall/winter virus surge, it shut down again and reopened in the spring. I have been a member there for a long time and pay hardly anything to maintain my membership, which is why I keep it.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 11:57 PM

OP here, don’t think I’ll be bullied for mask wearing, but last summer I attended nephews’ sports events outside and wore a mask as a precaution and got sneers from some maga looking parents. One had a holstered pistol on his hip. I guess he was afraid for his life at a little league game, but not from catching COVID with everyone packed together in the stands.

Thanks for all the feedback. I posted this while on a walk alone and it’s good to feel connected to people who understand my dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2021 2:51 AM

I've have been back at the gym since they opened back up and in the never-ending covid hot spot that is LA. I go to Equinox so everything is impeccably clean, but even with mask mandates, people have them around their noses etc. I thought I was getting good workouts in a home, but I lost weight going back to the gym and gained muscle. It's just not the same. Even with mask mandates, we can use the locker rooms, showers, steam/sauna with no masks. If it's optional, you can wear a mask and nobody will care. Conversely, you can't tut tut people who don't wear them. I would get a underarmour mask - they are the best for working out if you sweat. Most of the outbreaks have been in restaurants, schools, and in the minority communities. Gyms don't seem to be that bad. Only can decide if you are comfortable. You either are, are you aren't, especially in Texas. If you don't have a health condition, I would go back and dip your foot in during non peak hours.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2021 3:03 AM

Do yoga with Lovely John

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2021 1:38 PM

Be sure to wear a comfortable outfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2021 1:40 PM

Your chances of dying from COVID are miniscule. You have a better chance of getting hit by a car on your way to the gym and dying from that.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2021 1:42 PM

I now work out at home and jog

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2021 1:47 PM

Time to pause gym membership again

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2021 1:50 AM

Here in my gym in NYC it was suddenly a lot less crowded today...and everybody was wearing masks again (after months when I seemed like the only one). So I actually felt safer than I have in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2021 1:55 AM

OP, we'd like to see you here this time next year. You know, better safe than sorry. Can you find something to mitigate the claustrophobia you feel about being at home? I'm not going to try to suggest anything, but something might help (besides the obvious alcohol and drugs).

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2021 2:49 AM

I put my membership on hold 18 months ago and just reinstated it. Everyone is required to be fully vaxed, both employees and members. Staff must wear masks but I've noticed not all members do. But it's a big facility with large, two story tall workout areas, good air circulation and they updated the HVAC to include the latest in air cleaning equipment so I feel safe. Plus I found that if I go mid-day and only on weekdays, the place isn't even a quarter full. And then it's mostly older folks who I presume are the safest group to be around. Getting out of the house and working out again has been great, physically and mentally.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2021 3:20 AM

In my gym we have to wear masks and we get our own cleaning sprays. I don’t use the showers. Just go in for a quick cardio. I do weights at home.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote] Getting out of the house and working out again has been great, physically and mentally.

Pretty much those who are going to gym are all looking to do the right thing. They are vaccinated, clean down machines, etc. They do not want to go back to a period of when gyms were closed down. So, I believe the anti-whatevers have been weeded out. However, is this enough for gyms to survive? January is the BIG pay-dirt month for gyms! I just wonder how many are actually going to survive through all of this?

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2021 7:16 PM

I don’t give a shit about what you do

by Anonymousreply 31December 19, 2021 12:59 AM

I've been going back since June. It would have to get really bad in my area (central Massachusetts) for me to give it up again. I hated not being able to go. I'm triple vaccinated for what it's worth

by Anonymousreply 32December 19, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] January is the BIG pay-dirt month for gyms! I just wonder how many are actually going to survive through all of this?

It will be interesting to see. Equinox has never been so generous in providing free guest passes as they have been this month. They are really pushing for membership referrals. Especially with the surges happening, it gives someone a terrific excuse not to join a gym in the NYE. I like having smaller classes, sometimes with 2 or 3 people it's like having a free trainer.

by Anonymousreply 33December 19, 2021 3:20 AM

Started going back to my gym when they reopened finally in August 2020. I sanitize my hands and machines constantly before and after, and move away from any standing or long-weight-machines-sitting fellow gym-goers if near me for more than a few minutes--ditto for walking some distance around such others who are just standing around in one place talking or just gathering. And I have this common-sense tactic of not deliberately putting my finger or tongue on gym surfaces or the floor and then into my mouth. Try it, you'll be fine as well as claim back your self-confidence, life and sense of living outside of the clutches of controlling liberal-based media propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 34December 19, 2021 6:34 AM

Typhoid Mary ^

by Anonymousreply 35December 19, 2021 12:53 PM

I have been going to the gym with a trainer 4 days a week, every week since August 2020. I do not wear a mask. I am vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 36December 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Gyms are gross anyway. Go for a run. Do some push ups, sit ups and other at home stuff.

by Anonymousreply 37December 19, 2021 3:59 PM

Agree with R11. This is flu season and with the COVID surge probably not the best time to consider a return to a gym where patrons will be maskless. OP, try virtual strength training until the spring.

by Anonymousreply 38December 19, 2021 4:14 PM

R37 hasn’t exercised, ever, in his entire life

by Anonymousreply 39December 19, 2021 5:16 PM

R37 for men, nothing is as good am exercise as strength training. Cardio supplements it, but can not replace it. And besides the physical benefits, the gym also is important for mental health. If you are vaccinated and make sure to wipe down machines before using them, you will be fine. I've been going for the better part of a year now and have not contacted COVID

by Anonymousreply 40December 19, 2021 5:17 PM

I went back when my gym re-opened in October and you needed to be double vaxxed. You were asked to keep sanitizing the machines and surfaces you touched and social distance as per before the gym closed earlier in the year. Now you had to wear a mask at reception . Naturally some people did not comply which is not a surprise given how some never used a towel when they were asked to before the Covid measures were introduced. Some people are just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2021 5:23 PM

I have weights and bands at home, but not enough to grow my musculature

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2021 9:37 PM

[quote]It will be interesting to see. Equinox has never been so generous in providing free guest passes as they have been this month. They are really pushing for membership referrals.

MMPH... they haven't come down off of that outrageous monthly fee, though!

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2021 9:51 PM

Is R34 a parody? I simply can't tell anymore.

I mean nobody is THAT stupid, are they?

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2021 10:22 PM

What's stupid about r34? I also just stay away from people and wipe down machines before and after use.

by Anonymousreply 45December 20, 2021 2:58 AM

[quote]What's stupid about [R34]? I also just stay away from people and wipe down machines before and after use.

Because unless you have a chronic thumb-sucking habit constantly wiping down equipment does fuck-all if you're unmasked?

Likewise maintaining distance from people. Spit particles hang out in the room for 3 hours after an infected person leaves.

Avoiding the practice of sticking your tongue on the gym floor goes without comment.

by Anonymousreply 46December 20, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote]Spit particles hang out in the [bold]air[/bold] for 3 hours after an infected person leaves.

*correction*

by Anonymousreply 47December 20, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote] Likewise maintaining distance from people

Do you not believe in the CDC guidelines around social distancing? Should they be thrown away then?

by Anonymousreply 48December 20, 2021 11:11 PM

Another Texan here, OP, we are in an alternate universe relative to many other states-- if I lived in some of the places others are posting from, I might choose differently.

My husband is 51, he asked my opinion on getting back to the gym. I say wait until about Jan 15. If the sky isn't falling by then, then we should go back. I was thinking the cycling classes look good, but I doubt they mask. It's too bad they don't have classes for makers and classes for non-maskers.

by Anonymousreply 49December 20, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote]Do you not believe in the CDC guidelines around social distancing? Should they be thrown away then?

Stop fucking trolling and go read the news.

COVID is hanging in the air in interior spaces for 3 hours after an infected person leaves the room. Social distancing is about as useful as telling people not to lick the floor.

by Anonymousreply 50December 20, 2021 11:16 PM

The trainers at my gym dont use social distancing though wears masks. they say they cant train someone from 6 feet away which seems silly to me because I can hear them talking 50 feet away. I go early before the trainers start.

by Anonymousreply 51December 20, 2021 11:23 PM

I went to the gym this afternoon. There were very people there. If you have the option, try going during the week and not on weekends, and mid-day rather than during the peak hours.

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2021 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!