Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there current discrimination against Italian and Irish Americans?

Historically they faced much prejudice when they were new immigrants.

Some complain they are still discriminated against now. Can that possibly be true?

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 11:45 PM

No. Italians are considered cool and sexy, and Irish dropped that ignorant trash image years ago.

Funny you can see movies from the 30s and even 40s where they are still considered low class in tenements. Irish were always cops or washer women. Italians were poor with an inclination toward crime.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 9:16 PM

Not in any real way, although I worked with a deplorable who made a joke to me about my Irish family being alcoholics (I mean they are but…)

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 9:18 PM

I'm not aware of it in my current area (Los Angeles) -- we have an Italian area in Los Angeles (San Pedro) and also in San Diego (Little Italy) -- people seem to flock to the restaurants. Probably due to film and TV, Italians are now considered cool, tough, manly, or feminine, and sexy / earthy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 9:22 PM

No. Dorothy was allowed into The Mortimer Club after all.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 9:37 PM

Yeah, did you see what happened with the Super Mario Bros. Movie? Both leads were given to non-Italians.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Which Super Mario Brothers movie?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 9:43 PM

I think DL has its own version of Godwin's Law. No thread in the history of this board ever reached 600 posts without a Golden Girls reference.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 9:46 PM

There is a new one in development, and Chris Pratt and Anya Taylor Joy were cast for Mario and Peach

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 9:47 PM

No, especially since there’s thousands of Irish illegals living in NYC and Boston.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 9:51 PM

I remember reading in history class about how the Dutch used to be the main target of "stupid" jokes in early America. That has certainly ended. As has any discrimination against the Irish, I think. Italians are only made fun of now for the trashy Jersey Shore types.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 11:27 PM

I don't believe so. But I'm on the west coast. My dad's generation, from the east coast, is possibly a different story though if you dip back into the '70s, '60s, '50s and prior.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 11:29 PM

Yes, Columbus Day has been erased.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 11:30 PM

No. But there should be!

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 11:36 PM

My mother is from Philadelphia and now lives in New Jersey. She looks down on Italians, but she looks down on pretty much everybody. I am married to a guy who is half Italian, but he doesn't have an Italian last name and doesn't look ethnic (has blue eyes, not swarthy).

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!